Thoughts on the First Episode

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thoughts on the First Episode

Post  Matthew Mercer on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:32 pm

Go ahead and let us know what you thought of the first episode! Favorite part? Least favorite part? Any hidden references your keen eyes caught?

Matthew Mercer
One whom pulls the strings...

View user profile http://www.therewillbebrawl.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts on the First Episode

Post  blu on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:44 pm

That...was...amazing.

:3 Its dark. I have to say, we're wondering the most about Sonic and Snake. Not that we're rushing. Just that...if anyone was a druggie already. Ta...da... The thing I think I'm looking forwards to the most is...PUPPIES!

:3 Good show, sir.

blu
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DMise on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:26 pm

Really, really well done. I got a good laugh out of Peach's ringtone, the pimp slap at the beginning, and the Scarface-esque "fuck you" that Wario let out.

I enjoyed it a lot. I can't wait to see how the rest of the cast pans out.

edit: Also, if Ganondorf is to make an appearance, I demand he kicks down a door

DMise
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aceswild2248@yahoo.com on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 pm

Very well done, I loved the way you took the characters and plot into a dark side of nintendo. But I'm curious on how you may portray certain characters if they make an apperance, such as Olimar and Sonic.

I loved every bit of it and cannot wait for more!

-p.s. I agree with the Ganondorf comment, he should bust down a door with his foward-tllt and promptly use his Murder Choke on somebody.

aceswild2248@yahoo.com
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pure_awesome on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:44 pm

Instant fan. I would post everything I liked about it, but there's way too much. Favourite part was Luigi's excellent monologue at the beginning. Favourite reference was the secret door potion.

When I first saw that this was a live action Brawl series, I was immediately skeptical. It's an idea that's been thrown around alot, but just didn't seem like it would work in a practical sense. Taking the idea and giving it the darker twist, along with a fresh storyline, was just what it needed, apparently. My biggest kudos goes to you and Zach, for coming up with the idea and for writing it.

One thing I did notice, in your credits, you had Tim Williams and Diana Tolin cast as "Purple Ice Climber" and "Pink Ice Climber", respectively. For the record, the purple one is called Popo, and the pink one is called Nana. I don't know if it was a creative decision to have them credited under generic titles for sake of the audience, but I figured I would throw it out there.

The acting was better than I would have expected, considering it's the first episode and the personalities of the characters aren't fully fleshed out yet (and are pretty damn bizarre to begin with). Once you guys settle into your roles a little more, it's going to be downright amazing. Personally, I'm most interested to see where Katherine is going to take Princess Peach, personality-wise. In 12 minutes she managed to show a multitude of paths that she could potentially take Peach down. Matt also seems to know exactly what he's got planned with Luigi, too.

And now I'm rambling. Great. If you don't mind me asking, where did you film?

All in all, that was awesome. Giant noses rock my socks.

pure_awesome
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SiliconeSoldier on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:18 am

That turned out really awesome! I loved it! I loved how all the details that I noticed came together. That red kitchen was great! There were a couple odd pauses in the editing that probably could go away to keep the pacing moving quickly.

SiliconeSoldier
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It just gets better and better

Post  Ms.Naru on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:20 am

Having the privilege to have seen the first episode in somewhat baby steps, from hearing about it first hand from Matt to assisting with costuming (VERY LITTLE) to the music-less 1st episode to the tweaked and perfected launch, I must say I love this project more and more each time I come in contact with it.

The timing difference between the "music-less" episode to the perfected launch made a large difference in many of the scenes, no matter how small the tweak. Even when Luigi said "Dame" only seconds after Peach's rant instead of as he's walking out of frame made a difference to me in that particular scene.

I am FAR from an expert, but I am an expert at what I like and I like love BRAWL! Cannot wait for more!

Ms.Naru
Riff Raff

View user profile http://www.socalcosplay.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor Tweek on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:20 pm

You weren't kidding...it was dark. I LOVE it.
One of my favirte aspects of this episode was the music. Very, very clever! Nicely filmed, terrific concept, great dialog. This project, for lack of a better term, ROCKS.

I'm excited to see the next installment. I'm especially intregued to hear what Kirby has to say to Peach. I'm also very excited to see more characters. I mentioned this before...Princess's crown cracks me up. It STAYS on her head no matter what!
You have a very talented cast on your hands.

Sailor Tweek
Riff Raff

View user profile http://sailortweek.livejournal.com/profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Mercer on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:42 pm

pure_awesome wrote:
One thing I did notice, in your credits, you had Tim Williams and Diana Tolin cast as "Purple Ice Climber" and "Pink Ice Climber", respectively. For the record, the purple one is called Popo, and the pink one is called Nana. I don't know if it was a creative decision to have them credited under generic titles for sake of the audience, but I figured I would throw it out there.

Thank you for the heads up! I completely blanked on that when I made the credits, so very much appreciated. FIXED!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! To answer your question, this was all filmed in the Los Angeles area, mostly a friend's apartments, office buildings, and *cough* stolen shots of exteriors.

We be poor film makers. Wink

Last edited by Matthew Mercer on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matthew Mercer

Back to top Go down

Post  syntakk on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:15 pm

Great job, guys! I loved it, can't wait for the next episode! The Lakitu news videos were great as well. I especially enjoyed the part with the mushroom going back and forth on the cloud, that gave me a good laugh.

Keep up the good work!

syntakk
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoyalLance on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 pm

Good show. I haven't seem anything like it.

In Wario's next appearence Kyle should come out in a WarioMan costume and have Great Saiyaman's voice, LOL. But seriously, any chances the Star Fox characters will be written into the script?

RoyalLance
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallin on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:33 pm

I LOVED it. I can't wait for the next episode. I'm about to go watch the bonus clips.

Question, though. Is there a possibility of getting a copy of the song that played during the end credits? It's hauntingly beautiful.

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerdy on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:37 pm

Fucking fantastic...looking forward to more.

Donation made.

Nerdy
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Mercer on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:50 pm

Kallin wrote:I LOVED it. I can't wait for the next episode. I'm about to go watch the bonus clips.

Question, though. Is there a possibility of getting a copy of the song that played during the end credits? It's hauntingly beautiful.

We are actually discussing adding a Downloads page to the website that would contain MP3s of the original music created by our composer, Daniel Schraer. I figure we could put up 1-2 mp3s per episode. Still in talks, but I will keep you updated.

In the mean time, here is a Megaupload link for the song you requested. Smile

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YRDHXZER

Matthew Mercer

Back to top Go down

Post  PirateThom on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:55 pm

That was absolutely insane, but completely awesome! I patiently await the next episode!

PirateThom
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beezs on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:56 pm

Wow that was fantastic I must say. The beginning felt kindof slow, but it certainly picked up and kept me intrigued the whole time.

Found it through kotaku when a friend posted the link in IRC, and after watching it we launched into a deep discussion trying to figure things out and seeing if we could pinpoint where it goes next.

Basically, to us, it's coming down to a power play by Peach in order to bring all of Mushroom Kingdom under her control once again, the deaths of Roy, Pichu, and Mewtwo (characters who didn't make it into Brawl) could be a "weeding" process so things will fall into place. Mushrooms are illegal apparently, and those are the source of Mario's power (in a sense), so by them being an illegal narcotic, only the outlaws are using them (Wario).

The big heads of the gangs; Dedede, Bowser, Ganondorf, are the ones left in charge and are causing the violence in the streets (each one with their own faction). Since it's a dark and gritty take on it all, it'd be safe to assume that there are a whole lot of inner workings in place. Peach could be using Bowser as a proxy form of attack, Link could be in cahoots (or in the pocket) of Ganondorf, and Dedede is happily playing Kirby for a fool and is the link to Peach since Kirby is usually a good all around person. Zelda/Sheik would be the link to the Ganondorf "Hyrule" gang, since like Peach, she is a princess who is constantly in trouble.

We have a whole lot more thought out, but it got kinda graphic Very Happy

Anyways, thanks for making this series, and in usual rabid nerd fashion, friends and I will be picking it apart piece by piece to see guess where everything is going.

Love it

Beezs
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerdy on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Do you have an idea how many episodes it would take to tell the entire story or are you going to just see how it plays out?

Nerdy
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  solarsun on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:04 pm

When someone gave me the link to the webisode I was a bit skeptical. I had seen stuff on Youtube before and other live action stuff that sucked.

This didn't. It was actually done really well.

One thing though, with the noses. I know they're fake but there are times that you can tell it more then others (like the wario beating time). That's my only problem.

Looking forward to seeing the next episode!

solarsun
Toad Thug

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Stranger_Things_have_Happened/

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Mercer on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:09 pm

Nerdy wrote:Do you have an idea how many episodes it would take to tell the entire story or are you going to just see how it plays out?

We're shooting for about 5-6 episodes, but we'll see how it plays out. Free time is sadly never a commodity, especially in this town.

Matthew Mercer

Back to top Go down

Post  dpalay on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:10 pm

This was absolutely amazing!
The story feels like it is going somewhere, and you have created a great setup, letting everyone know what's going on.
The script was well written and felt very "in character," although the delivery at times could use a little work (mostly timing issues).
What really got me was the attention to all the little details. Things like the neon Nintendo sign in the window, or the store with the Bowser sign off in the background. Or, as mentioned in a previous post, the drink being the secret door potion. This attention to detail is what really pulls in fans, and makes the whole experience come together.

Your reimagination of Kirby was ... interesting, to say the least, and reminded me a lot of the image used for these buttons:
Spoiler:

As far as suggestions:
I would absolutely LOVE to be able to get my hands on the songs that you guys used. I've been a fan of arranged video game music for years, haunting sites like ocremix and the Dwelling of Duels.
The other thing I would strongly recommend is an RSS feed for your news updates. It's not very hard to set one up, and it would allow better distribution of your news and even new episodes.

I think you all did a fantastic job and look forward to seeing the next episode. (Speaking of which, is there a planned release schedule?)

dpalay
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  macr0planet on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:12 pm

I just want to say well done! I saw this link on Kotaku and watched it with little intentions to. About 3 minutes in I knew this was awesome work. The camera angles were very well setup. The dry humor is perfect. You guys have a nice approach to a serious series that can be watched by many yet enough humor to attract more.

The only grip I do have is in some of these scenes I feel the lighting could be better. I've noticed that some of the lighting was actually above the actors and it casts a hard shadow on their faces. I thought the lighting for the most part was great though, especially outside scenes.

Great work! Looking forward to more.

macr0planet
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Mercer on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:17 pm

dpalay wrote:Is there a planned release schedule?)

We're trying for one episode a month, depending on funding and free-time, of course. Also, we will definitely be adding a page in the near future that will contain downloads for original music created for this project. Until then, the theme of Episode 1, "Mushroom Kingdom Nocture", is available for a short time via the Megaupload I posted on page 1.

macr0planet wrote:The only grip I do have is in some of these scenes I feel the lighting could be better.

I completely agree. Unfortunately, the crew is small enough, and budget was tight enough, that we didn't have much bandwidth to focus much on lighting. I am definitely intending on improving this in future episodes, as the more steam this project picks up, the easier it is to find good help!

Matthew Mercer

Back to top Go down

Post  mms9304 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Amazing, just amazing.

mms9304
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerdy on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:34 pm

Is there (or will there be) a Myspace page or anything like that to help promote your show?

Nerdy
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  otherhand on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:35 pm

I thought this was freakin' great.
All the little details really kept me interested, and there was never really a dull moment once it got going. Things like Lakitu's fishing rod, Mario's medical career, and the fact that all the murder victims were characters axed from Brawl.

I'm looking forward to what, if anything, you do with Ness and/or Lucas, since I'm a huge Earthbound/Mother fan. The whole psychic thing could make for an interesting bit, and the costumes aren't exactly too tough to pull off. Also little tidbits like (mother 3 spoilers)
Spoiler:
Lucas's past, with his dead mom and brother
could fit into this convincing, gritty world you've cooked up.

otherhand
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:57 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top