Riddle Me This

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Riddle Me This

Post  Smashy B on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:41 pm

New Game. In this thread, you post riddles and try to have other people get the answer to your riddle. Simple enough and fun. Only rules to the game are:
-Try not to have a multitude of riddles going at once. A couple at a time is fine.
-Have the riddle make sense and not have some totally abstract answer. (I've seen people post riddles like these before, it makes me want to eat their face.)
-If you already know the answer to the riddle, as in you've heard it before, give others a chance.
-For the sake of honor, resist any temptation to search for the answer in the internet. you have a brain, use it.
Speaking or searching...

Note from Pure:
pure_awesome wrote:If you are going to post a riddle that you got off the internet (which is fine) or a riddle that you know is popular, switch the wording around! If your riddle is about two dogs in a car, change it to two cats in a wagon. Instead of talking to two people, each guarding a door, talk to two Easter Island heads, each guarding a... I don't know, a supermodel.

This makes it much harder for people to look up the answers online and ensures fairness for those trying to solve riddles of their own merit, and also ensures that the whole thing is fun. Who doesn't want to talk to an Easter Island head guarding a supermodel?

Allow me to kick-start things...
A man is standing outside of a building. Inside the building are three light bulbs. Outside the building, where the man is standing, are three light switches. His task is to determine which light bulb belongs to which switch. He has no way of being able to see if a light is on unless he is in the room with the lights. There are no windows in the building and he can only enter the building ONCE to determine which bulb goes to which switch. How is he supposed to determine which switch works with each light bulb?

Last edited by smashbro on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riddle Me This

Post  SurgePox on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:54 pm

oh oh i know this one.

It's a bit difficult. good luck guys.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:58 pm

Can he just leave the door open and take a peek? Very Happy

Hold on, lemme think.

EDIT: Are all three light bulbs plugged in?

Double EDIT: Flip one on and leave it for a while. Then, flip it off and turn on another. Go in, the one you just turned on lit, and the one you first turned on will be warm. The third one will be off.

My turn.

Four men are lined up before the firing squad in a tiered fashion. They are all facing in the same direction, towards teh firing squad. A wall seperates the fourth man from the other three like so.

*Firing squad here*

1-----I
--2---I
----3-I
------I 4

The men have had hats put on them. They do not know what color hat they are wearing They are told that there are two white hats and two black hats. They are told to shout out the colour of the hat that they are wearing as soon as they know for certain what colour it is. They are not allowed to turn round and they are not allowed to talk to each other. If they are correct, they will all be spared. If they are wronge, they will all be shot.

Who shouts out his color first?

Last edited by Eiron on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pure_awesome on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:17 pm

The second man.

I deduce this not by solving the riddle, but by realizing that you never specified which direction the men are facing. Since this would make a big difference for men 1 and 3, you would have made a point to specify which direction they were all facing. Since you did not, it can't be either of them. It logically cannot be the fourth man, since he has access to the least amount of information and any conclusion he could reach could also be reached by the other men.

So consider Eiron's solved, but not solved Smile

Little Johnny McBadass, rebel that he is, is running away from home. He runs in a straight line, turns left, runs some more, turns left, runs some more, turns left, and runs back home. When he arrives, there are two men in masks waiting for him. Who are they?

pure_awesome
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:35 pm

woah.....Pure's answer looks like it's right on the money. Makes a lot of sense, and well....since that sounds like it, I'm just going to post a little riddle.

A man is trapped in a cage, and the guy who's keeping him locked in walks up with two fortune cookies, saying that if he chose the cookie with the fortune in it that says "Freedom", he will unlock the cage and the man inside is free to go. The man inside knows that both fortunes say "No Freedom", how does he get free?

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:33 am

I am familiar with Eirons riddle, and can offer this much analysis on Pure's answer. As this might give some stuff away i'll spoiler tag it.
Spoiler:
You're on the right track, but the direction they are facing is important, and is very specific, and part of what makes the riddle challenging. If this helps:

---------------[Wall]
---------------[Wall]
(1>) (2>) (3>) [Wall] (<4)

the arrow is the direction they are facing. So man number one can see men two and three, man two can see only man three, and men three and four cannot see anything.

good luck

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:11 am

For Eiron's post, I consider man No. 4.

Spoiler:
Why? Because the Riddle specifies steps. It is also not specified how tall the wall or how big the steps so I may still be at a blank.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:15 pm

I've edited the original post. I meant to say "in steps," not "on steps." They are just lined up in a tiered fashion, my bad. Surge is correct in that the order is important. They are all facing foreward, that is, towards the top of the screen. Man 3 can see man 2 and man 1, man 2 can see man 1, and man 1 and man 4 cannot see anything. The wall is tall enough that they cannot see over it.

*Firing squad here*

1-----I
--2---I
----3-I
------I 4

To Relmitos: I've heard of a riddle very similar to this, so I'll refrain from answering. Not even with spoiler tags. Very Happy

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:54 pm

pure_awesome wrote:Little Johnny McBadass, rebel that he is, is running away from home. He runs in a straight line, turns left, runs some more, turns left, runs some more, turns left, and runs back home. When he arrives, there are two men in masks waiting for him. Who are they?

Gorblax and Poochy.

Edit: @ Eiron, I say the 3rd man. The riddle doesn't say which hats are placed on what man, so if you go on the assumption that the 1st and 2nd men are wearing the same colored hats, white or black, then the 3rd man is obviously wearing a hat of the other color. The riddle also doesn't say how does every man know, it just says which one shouts first. My answer is man #3.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:25 pm

That is one of two possible solutions.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pure_awesome on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:25 am

Relmitos wrote:Edit: @ Eiron, I say the 3rd man. The riddle doesn't say which hats are placed on what man, so if you go on the assumption that the 1st and 2nd men are wearing the same colored hats, white or black, then the 3rd man is obviously wearing a hat of the other color. The riddle also doesn't say how does every man know, it just says which one shouts first. My answer is man #3.

I totally just figured it out based on this answer. It's the second man, alternately.

If the first two men have different colour hats, that means that the third man wouldn't be able to figure out which colour hat he had. Since after a while the second man would figure out that the third man doesn't know which hat he has, it follows that the second man must have a different colour hat than the man in front of him. Knowing this, he simply shouts out the opposite colour of the hat on the man in front of him.

Good one.

So the answer is either: The third man, if the Man 1 and Man 2 have the same colour hats, the second man, if they have different colour hats, or the fourth man, since he can just cheat and look at his hat since he's behind a wall and noone can see him. I mean, what're they going to do if they catch him cheating, shoot him?

EDIT: So the two riddles open right now are...
pure_awesome wrote:Little Johnny McBadass, rebel that he is, is running away from home. He runs in a straight line, turns left, runs some more, turns left, runs some more, turns left, and runs back home. When he arrives, there are two men in masks waiting for him. Who are they?
Relmitos wrote:A man is trapped in a cage, and the guy who's keeping him locked in walks up with two fortune cookies, saying that if he chose the cookie with the fortune in it that says "Freedom", he will unlock the cage and the man inside is free to go. The man inside knows that both fortunes say "No Freedom", how does he get free?

pure_awesome
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:34 am

"Gorblax and Poochy" isn't even worth comment? awww....

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pure_awesome on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:43 am

Hahaha I completely forgot about that. I was so focused on the rest of your post solving the riddle for me.

Now I'm picturing a dude wearing a big orange Fobby mask.

pure_awesome
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:59 am

Pure completely figured it out, good job man.

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:11 am

SurgePox wrote:Pure completely figured it out, good job man.

say what? lol, I laid down the start of his solution and mine isn't wrong either Smile

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:17 am

True, but you were only half right. Also I found Gorblax and Poochy completely hilarious Laughing

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:48 am

After Judging Relmitos' Riddle, I can come to these possible conclusions.

1. To Open the cage, the man must open the door
2. Guy reasons with other guy, resulting in lulz.
3. Man eats both fortune cookies, and then gains super strength, Which he will then break the cage.

Now, for pure_awesome's.
V <
> ^ If Young JohnnyMcBadass (who probably isn't a TRUE CERTIFIED BADASS) Left from the front of his house. He would have to enter back from the side. But in masks? I have no clue.

I'll say Gnomes.

EDIT: THEY ARE NEIGHBOURS WHO ARE ANGRY ABOUT BADASSNESS IN THEIR BACKYARD.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:46 am

This is the best thread ever. Good job to both Relmitos and pure.

The fortune cookie one is pretty tricky. Below is a hint, not an answer.
Spoiler:
Assume that the man offering the fortune cookies is bound to honor his word, or can't appear to have been cheating.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:26 pm

This seem like sort of a lame answer, but don't both cookies technically have the word "freedom" on them?

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:37 pm

SurgePox wrote:This seem like sort of a lame answer, but don't both cookies technically have the word "freedom" on them?
I thought the same thing, but to me, it seemed like the kind of answer that's "it's so obvious it's wrong."

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:18 pm

That would be correct in that its incorrect.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:13 am

what eiron said

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:58 pm

pure_awesome wrote:

Little Johnny McBadass, rebel that he is, is running away from home. He runs in a straight line, turns left, runs some more, turns left, runs some more, turns left, and runs back home. When he arrives, there are two men in masks waiting for him. Who are they?

I've got it.
Spoiler:
The catcher and the umpire.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pure_awesome on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Very nice Eiron. You're one of the first people I've asked that one to that have figured it out.

And now for my favourite riddle of all time, purely because it's funny:

A man and his dog build a triangular shack. All sides of the shack are facing north. A bird walks by the shack. Why isn't it flying?

pure_awesome
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:15 pm

Why must i be cursed to seemingly know every riddle in existence.

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next