Go Buy Video Games and support me!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Go Buy Video Games and support me!

Post  Matthew Mercer on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Hey guys! You don't need to buy the games, but I wanted to get the word out there that two awesome games are coming out this month, and you should check them out.

First up is Street Fighter IV. I'm an old school SF fan (used to play in Tournaments in high school), and having played this last night at the SFIV Launch Party, it is AWESOME. If you are a fan of SF at all, definitely check it out. Also, you get to laugh at Kyle (Wario) and I doing the voices for some characters (Ryu and Feilong, respectively). Check out some pics from the Launch Party at JoEllen's Flickr account!

Secondly, in a few weeks, the latest in the Star Ocean series hits the Xbox 360, entitled "Star Ocean: The Last Hope". It's a fantastic and innovative update to the series, and a phenomenal JRPG altogether. You also can (once again) make fun of Kyle and I doing voices (Arumat and Edge Maverick, respectively). I spent a month in Shanghai doing this one, so it's kind of a big project for me. Smile

That is all!

Matthew Mercer
One whom pulls the strings...

View user profile http://www.therewillbebrawl.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Go Buy Video Games and support me!

Post  Gorblax on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Kyle landed Ryu? Sweet! I'll check it out.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:32 pm

I...I...need to go buy a 360. >____<

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Holy crap dude, you guys are big-time. I was planning on buying street fighter 4 anyways, and If I have money I'll look into Star Ocean.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smiles on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:12 pm

yay! I am deffinately getting star ocean!

Smiles
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ninja Penguin on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Hadoken. Indeed.

Ninja Penguin
Corrupt Officer

View user profile http://youtube.com/ninjapenguinhya/

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Well, SFIV is the next game on my list now.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zimpirate on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:10 pm

I own Star Ocean. Smile

zimpirate
Toad Thug

View user profile http://zimthehomicidal.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Mon May 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Good times, those are some pretty impressive marks on your resumes! Star Ocean rocks, the gameplay & the story are both hardcore & offer the 360 a good J-RPG to fill in its library. Its also visually stunning too, the graphics remind me of a true 3-D anime/cel shaded experience. SFIV was so intense, I had to get it on both platforms. We held a tournament in a Gamestop store & someone actually performed the Dhalsim head-butt > Super > Dizzy combo to impress the crowd. Seeing it in person is waaay more intense than seeing it on YouTube ~ affraid

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  talenos on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:42 pm

So, kind of off topic, but do you get royalties for games like people do for film and tv or is it kind of a flat fee for the project?

talenos
Toad Thug

View user profile http://www.mattnewcomb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 pm

That's actually a good question.....it would be cool if it was royalties, the game was really good (on the 2nd disc myself). & even if they did port it over to PS3 someday, (like Tales of Vesperia) I'd pick it up & play all over again. Very Happy

& would you mind one day to autograph my Edge Maverick statue/doll/thing-a-ma-bob when they get released as well? Cool (Don't usually go stark raving mad fanboy, but.....its kind of like a tribute thing, please forgive me XD)

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

Back to top Go down

Post  Serras-Kai on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:37 am

D'aaaawww, I knew I did something stupid.
Kyle was the host of the cosplay contest at A-Kon, but I didn't recognize him 'cause I'm too stupid. I heard him say (several times) he was the voice of Ryu (most notably when an M. Bison cosplayer was on stage) and I kept on thinking that it sounded kinda familier.
I knew I shoulda shouted out a TWBB line!
Curses!

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Mercer on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:05 am

Ha, I reeeeeally need to get that Edge Maverick figure! Just based on principle!

Unfortunately, Video Games do not currently hold any sway in the world of Royalties or Residuals for Actors (like Radio and TV... delicious Radio and TV...). They have only recently become a very respected and viable medium for making a living, and contracts in Hollywood haven't yet caught up, sadly. I give it about 3-5 before this gets re-visited. I REEEEALLY hope it does, because, man... more money is GOOD money.

And yes, Steven... I would be honored to sign it for ya!

Matthew Mercer

Back to top Go down

Post  talenos on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:35 am

I only hope that if that does happen, that us lowly developers get some of the residuals as well, since we usually spend a year or two of our lives working on the things. I see the game industry moving more towards the movie model as time goes on. We shall see I guess.

talenos
Toad Thug

View user profile http://www.mattnewcomb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:49 am

Haha, dawwww, Matt you are a complete sweetheart, thanks Cool

The video game industry does continue to innovate & change its marketing techniques to match trends, so hopefully everyone involved in developments can get some bigger action of the pie. Reminds me though of the thing last year, on GTA4. The actor who played Nico Bellic (main character) signed up to do the voice for $100, 000. The game then makes like, IIRC, $24 million almost overnight or some ridiculous amount Shocked (I was there, stupid midnight launch....argh.....). So then he tries to file a lawsuit to get a bigger piece of that action, like he didn't know the power & respect of the GTA franchise! Razz It was pretty much a lost cause though, because nowhere in the contract did it state royalties or bonuses, he just had no idea what he was getting into.....kinda feel sorry for the guy. But hopefully in the future this won't be an issue & everyone gets their fair share of the profits for the work they put into video game projects.

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Mercer on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:35 am

talenos wrote:I only hope that if that does happen, that us lowly developers get some of the residuals as well, since we usually spend a year or two of our lives working on the things. I see the game industry moving more towards the movie model as time goes on. We shall see I guess.

I hear ya, man. I used to work in the Game Industry for 7 years before leaving (QA Management on Call of Duty 4, God of War, etc). SO many man-hours under salary from our art teams, programming teams, design teams, and no bonuses to show for it... all eaten by the gluttonous publishers.

Here's to hoping that changes!

Matthew Mercer

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:33 pm

SO I was at my local video game store, and I noted that they had a copy of "Star Ocean: The Last Hope" for sale. I couldn't find much else that interested me, so I am considering buying that title. My only question is do I have to have played any previous games in order to understand what's going on? Also, is it fun?

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Nah, The Last Hope is a standalone story that in the SO timeline, occurs before all the other stories. Its pretty fun IMO, its a combo of RPG exploration but in battles, they become hack n slash beat 'em ups. The Bonus Board offers incentives like bonus EXP, Gold (Fol in game), & HP/MP restoration after battles. There's in game achievements plus 360 achievements plus different move techniques/spells to learn. All in all, its a solid game, the story is kind of so-so (its very cliche, & meets the criteria to be a J-RPG in every way Razz ) but its a good spin, seriously. Check it out, & if all else fails, buy used so you can return it within 7 days if you're not feeling it.

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:52 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top