Interested in Filmaking and etc...

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interested in Filmaking and etc...

Post  JGH27 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Well I figured I'd ask and see if there's anyone else on here that's into film making and such related stuff like writing and all that wonderful stuff.

I've been working on movie ideas for as long as I can remember and was a lot better at putting them onto paper when I was younger. As of late I've had several ideas that I'm trying to write out. Currently I've got 1 short that I feel is almost ready to go, but am just waiting on doing anything with it until I'm positive I can get a good crew together. It's set in a high school and deals with bullying and suicide. It's essentially a tragedy. If anyone wishes to view it and provide me with feedback let me know. Any recording I do will be on Mini DV due to cost reason's and equipment.

Anyways among my other projects include a Samurai feature which I'm constantly changing, an action movie that's inspired by the film Versus by Ryuhei Kitamura, a zombie short simply because I wanna experiment with gore effects and zombies kick ass. And finally the project in which I'm really trying to get going as far as writing is a vigilante idea that is essentially something I've been spending years on and only recently realized exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish. My insperations for it come from: The Crow, The Dark Knight, "Batman: The Long Halloween" (a great comic), and of course "There Will Be Brawl". Also had a zombie ghost idea that I'll develop some time.

Anyways I have a habit of spreading myself thin but I tend work on projects depending on mood as far as writing. So if anyone else on here is into this than feel free to post any tips or anything you wish. I'd love to be able to get advice from others and just have people to talk with and hopefully develop my talents and abilities.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Interested in Filmaking and etc...

Post  Eiron on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Wow man, that sounds awesome. I'd love to see whatever your working on. Also, you might want to consider sending your work to Matt and Zack for critiques. Those guys could probably be much more helpful.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Eiron wrote:Wow man, that sounds awesome. I'd love to see whatever your working on. Also, you might want to consider sending your work to Matt and Zack for critiques. Those guys could probably be much more helpful.

True, I've considered sending them my current script that I think is ready to go but they're busy with there projects and stuff so I figured I'd rather not bother them. If they see this thread and ask then that'd be awesome.

I'll send you the script I feel is pretty much complete and let me know what you think

EDIT: I also have a video I did for my grade 11 English class somewhere which I'm proud of for the fact it was shot in 2 hours and did a good job representing the scene in the book it was for. It's laughable but a lot of fun. Never uploaded it on any sites but just may now that I think of it

Last edited by JGH27 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a line of text)

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Coolio. ^^

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Ya it's based on the novel Acceleration and is set in Toronto. It's about a teenager who works in a lost and found of the subway and finds a journal belonging to a pshyotic guy who tortured animals, then went to arson and started following women and was gonna kill someone. It's a really good thriller, a little on the short side tho but good none-the-less.

The scene I shot I believe is about 6 minutes and then I threw extras on for fun including the subway scene I tried to using a blue screen that I never had enough time to work on.

Anyways what site is best to use for uploading video without having it taken down for copyright infringement (I used "How to Save a Life" by The Fray as it fitted so well). I' assuming Youtube would pull it down although I could pull the music from it.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:25 pm

What you got going sounds interesting. Let's see some films.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks, I'm just trying to get the vid off the DVD it's burned on and hopefully I'll have it up tonight or tomorrow (gotta love government inventing new holidays lol. We got "Family Day" tomorrow in Ontario).

It's even more "bad" then I thought after watching it again lol. Noticing a lot more of the little problems. Anyways it still got me a 98% on my final project (combined with 2 other assignments).

Also, if anyone is good at creating music it's something I may be looking for shortly with my action idea as I've just literally found some people that I'm to call tomorrow. Hopefully it pans out.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:40 pm

Awesome. Family Day? weird. Your government probably invented that because we have President's weekend.

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 pm

smashbro wrote:Awesome. Family Day? weird. Your government probably invented that because we have President's weekend.

Ya, that's basically why. It was too long of a stretch from New Years-Easter I guess. It was introduced last year and was very poorly organized. I believe it was planned out in like 2 months and only some people had it off and was just a big headache.

The video is copying to my computer now, I just need a site besides youtube to upload it too.

EDIT: video didn't copy right Mad

EDIT AGAIN: Looking like I'll need to see if I can find the tape it's on and re-edit it. Won't be much work providing the program decides to work.

Last edited by JGH27 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated info)

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:53 am

Sad

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:49 pm

Well after going through about 70 hours of tapes I've had zero luck finding my Acceleration project. Sorry to anyone who was hoping to see it, but I'll see if I can get it off the DVD.

On the upside in the last 2 days I've had 2 people contact me in regards to projects they're working on Very Happy
1 of which may actually involve 1 of my scripts at that. The other I'm not sure of all details, supposed to call on Wednesday.

By the way, what'd you think of that script Eiron?

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:12 am

Darn. Acceleration sounded interesting. bounce

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:09 am

smashbro wrote:Darn. Acceleration sounded interesting. bounce

The novel is great and is something I would love to turn into a film as I could vividly imagine it while reading (helps that it's set in a familiar area such as Toronto).

Basic rundown is that Duncan (protagonist) has tracked "Roach" (antagonist) to his home (he lives with his Grandma who happens to be deaf) and waits for Roach to leave again. Duncan calls his buddy to help him pick the lock to get inside fearing that a woman is trapped in his basement. (This is explained in the book and mostly based on Roach's lost diary) So Duncan gets in and heads into the basement to investigate (cops never took him seriously when he tried to turn the diary in). So I shot the basement scene which went like this in a nutshell.

Duncan heads down to the basement and starts going through the room which is a mess. He flips through news paper clippings, examines some cleaned animal skulls and finds a few jars of chloriform. He then wraps up and starts for the staris before noticing the closet next to the stairs. He's frozen trying to get the courage to open it. He asks if anyones in there and when no response comes he opens the door (lifting a heavy bar in front of it)to find....Dramatic Pause....it empty. Just then he hears the door upstairs open and footsteps. With nowhere to go he reluctantly goes in the clost. Roach enters the basement and immediately notices that someones been there. He looks around and heads towards the closet. As he's about to open it Duncan bursts through knocking Roach over. Roach gets up and blocks the stairs. He pulls a switch blade out and twicthes his hand making Duncan twitch. Roach is in control of the situation and Duncan ends up hitting him with the bar a few times before Roach slashes him in the arm. Duncan manages to slip by Roach and runs out of the house.

That essentially the scene, just not word for word. Hope this satisfies while I try to upload the blasted thing.

(I had before and after credits for the scene. Opening credits featured "Ode to Freud" which was a wrestlers theme, Mankind's to be exact, which helped set the mood really well and closing credits was "How to Save a Life" by The Fray)

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:14 am

So I'm wondering if anyone has any recomendations on some programs I ned/wish to have.

I'm looking at getting new video editing software (currently trying out a trial from Adobe Premier)
I am also looking at getting some sort of user friendly music editing/creating software

Any recomendations? I'm also prefering rather cheap options if possible.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  talenos on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Since I'm new I'm going to go bump up all these old threads that are interesting to me.

As far as video editing software goes, the big three are Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere and Avid. They're all very similar, you can switch between them pretty easily you just have to get used to some short cuts that might be different.

If you have a Mac, there is Final Cut Express, which is a cheaper version that does a lot of what you'll need. If you are in Windows, I'd probably go with Premiere. Vegas Video is pretty user friendly and easy to use too. Not sure on the pricing though.

Windows Movie Maker and iMovie will do the basics for you, but they won't really give you professional results.

talenos
Toad Thug

View user profile http://www.mattnewcomb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MENTOK the MINDTAKER on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:41 pm

I work Pro Bano Very Happy

MENTOK the MINDTAKER
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:31 am

talenos wrote:Since I'm new I'm going to go bump up all these old threads that are interesting to me.

As far as video editing software goes, the big three are Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere and Avid. They're all very similar, you can switch between them pretty easily you just have to get used to some short cuts that might be different.

If you have a Mac, there is Final Cut Express, which is a cheaper version that does a lot of what you'll need. If you are in Windows, I'd probably go with Premiere. Vegas Video is pretty user friendly and easy to use too. Not sure on the pricing though.

Windows Movie Maker and iMovie will do the basics for you, but they won't really give you professional results.

Currently I using a Windows and I've been eyeing Adobe Premiere. Just not affordable at this point. Thinking of getting a new computer and Premiere after the summer when I get some cash saved.

Thanks for the advice

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Warchamp7 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:04 pm

Your "Big 3" didn't include Sony Vegas. I've never even heard of Avid

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  talenos on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Yes, Vegas is not up there with the other 3 in terms of popularity, but it's still pretty solid software. Avid is probably the most popular among pros, but that may be changing.

talenos
Toad Thug

Back to top Go down

Post  The Meta Knight on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:17 pm

JGH27 wrote:Anyways among my other projects include a Samurai feature which I'm constantly changing, an action movie that's inspired by the film Versus by Ryuhei Kitamura, a zombie short simply because I wanna experiment with gore effects and zombies kick ass. And finally the project in which I'm really trying to get going as far as writing is a vigilante idea that is essentially something I've been spending years on and only recently realized exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish. My insperations for it come from: The Crow, The Dark Knight, "Batman: The Long Halloween" (a great comic), and of course "There Will Be Brawl". Also had a zombie ghost idea that I'll develop some time.
I've got two projects myself that I personally think have great either mini-series or movie potential.

The first idea is a WWII mini-series concept. I'm a railroading buff in my spare time, and I've been fascinated by the use of railroads in World War II. Well I ended up producing a 15 minute audio drama based on "Operation Pied-Piper" with some friends of mine, and Audacity (oh god, I think I broke the program from sheer awesome). I must say as a personal project it's wonderful, but it's unless I have a fortune of money to license all the materials I used in making it (mainly the dozens of soundFX!) it won't go anywhere aside from amongst my friends. Sad

The second idea I had is a semi-kids movie, rated PG-13 at the least and R at the worst. Remember how we used to run after the Ice-Cream truck as kids? (Probably still do!) Well, in this little world of mine the children of a suburban neighborhood take catching the ice-cream truck seriously. The moment that the feint electronic jingle hums in the air, all the children suddenly become an organized para-military group whose sole purpose is to hunt down the ice cream truck. The movie turns from Disney classic to Vietnam war movie. Shit goes down... and there's a twist at the end which, for anybody who's still watching the movie at this point, will make you crap your pants.

Yeah, I wish I had a budget. The second idea is totally freakin worth it. I take donations Razz

The Meta Knight
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:21 pm

The Meta Knight wrote:
JGH27 wrote:Anyways among my other projects include a Samurai feature which I'm constantly changing, an action movie that's inspired by the film Versus by Ryuhei Kitamura, a zombie short simply because I wanna experiment with gore effects and zombies kick ass. And finally the project in which I'm really trying to get going as far as writing is a vigilante idea that is essentially something I've been spending years on and only recently realized exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish. My insperations for it come from: The Crow, The Dark Knight, "Batman: The Long Halloween" (a great comic), and of course "There Will Be Brawl". Also had a zombie ghost idea that I'll develop some time.
I've got two projects myself that I personally think have great either mini-series or movie potential.

The first idea is a WWII mini-series concept. I'm a railroading buff in my spare time, and I've been fascinated by the use of railroads in World War II. Well I ended up producing a 15 minute audio drama based on "Operation Pied-Piper" with some friends of mine, and Audacity (oh god, I think I broke the program from sheer awesome). I must say as a personal project it's wonderful, but it's unless I have a fortune of money to license all the materials I used in making it (mainly the dozens of soundFX!) it won't go anywhere aside from amongst my friends. Sad

The second idea I had is a semi-kids movie, rated PG-13 at the least and R at the worst. Remember how we used to run after the Ice-Cream truck as kids? (Probably still do!) Well, in this little world of mine the children of a suburban neighborhood take catching the ice-cream truck seriously. The moment that the feint electronic jingle hums in the air, all the children suddenly become an organized para-military group whose sole purpose is to hunt down the ice cream truck. The movie turns from Disney classic to Vietnam war movie. Shit goes down... and there's a twist at the end which, for anybody who's still watching the movie at this point, will make you crap your pants.

Yeah, I wish I had a budget. The second idea is totally freakin worth it. I take donations Razz

DUDE!

I work in the ice cream business and make a habit of HUNTING ice cream trucks as they're illegal where I live. e have ice cream bikes. I demand royalties Razz

Seriously, I'm diging both ideas

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Meta Knight on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:51 pm

JGH27 wrote:DUDE!

I work in the ice cream business and make a habit of HUNTING ice cream trucks as they're illegal where I live. e have ice cream bikes. I demand royalties Razz

Seriously, I'm diging both ideas
lol, wow ice-cream vans are illegal in Ontario? wtf! Shocked That's something I've never heard of affraid

I just find the idea of little 10-12 year olds (14 at most, think cast of "The Sandlot" here) suddenly becoming hardened soldiers using BB-guns, traps, explosives, and torture to obtain posession of an ice-cream truck absolutely hysterical (and, equally important: disturbing).

Seriously, just like you with your screenplay ideas I really want to see this happen Cool

The Meta Knight
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Queeny on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:52 pm

careful though. This is the internet and there are people who might want to steal this idea.

Queeny
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  talenos on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:54 am

Ideas are a dime a dozen, implementation is where it's at. I think TWBB is a good example of that.

talenos
Toad Thug

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:44 pm

talenos wrote:Ideas are a dime a dozen, implementation is where it's at. I think TWBB is a good example of that.

This is very true.

I've just started work on writing a mini series of horror shorts. Hoping to get a few written up this week.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:00 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top