Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  JGH27 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:25 am

So I've noticed there has yet to be a thread for books so I thought I'd start one. I mean, we got a thread for everything else lol.

Currently I'm working my way through Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series which is simply amazing. I'm on the 4th book (Wizard and Glass) out of 7. Trying to explain it is quite tough, but essentially it's about the world's last Gunslinger in a world that has moved on. His only goal is to find the Dark Tower which he believes stand at the nexus of this, and all other world's. Roland (the Gunslinger) believes that by finding the tower he can stop, or even reverse, the "moving on" of his world. King was inspired by Tolkien's works.

Other novels or series I enjoy are:

Firestarter - Stephen King
Acceleration - Graham McNamee
No Signature - (Can't remember)
Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling
Of Mice and Men - Steinbeck (Thanks Surge)
Biographies of any sort

So, anyone else wish to share good books?

Last edited by Cameron on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:51 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Found the author of: Of Mice and Men)

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Kallin on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:39 am

The Dark Tower was a good series, and the later books continue to impress. I had a few problems with it, but I won't mention them until you've read the whole thing, haha.

Let's see, recent things I've read or reread, haha...

A LOT of Terry Pratchet books
A while back a few David Edding books
Cicero by Anthony Everitt
Augustus by the same
The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R Martin (And if you haven't read it, get off the internet and go to a bookstore. You'll be doing yourself a favor.)
Imperium, I don't know who wrote it.
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Another one you should pick up. GREAT book, I can't wait to get the second one in the series)
John Adams, don't remember the author either, but a good book.

For school this semester...
The Song of Roland
Arthurian Romances
Arab Historians of the Crusades
The Alexiad by Anna Comnena
The Letters of Abelard and Heloise
The Deeds of Louis the Fat
The French Revolution and Human Rights
On Liberty by John Stuart Mill
Hugo Chavez and the Bolivarian Revoluion by Richard Gott
Innumerable printouts of histories, chronicles, letters, records, websites... Can you tell I'm a history major? Hahaha

I think that's all I've hit up recently. I'd like more time to read, but I'm usually drowning in essays that need writing and trying to keep up with enough reading to BS my way through it, haha

Last edited by Kallin on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot a few books.)

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:40 am

mice and men is stienbeck.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:52 am

Kallin, I'm currently just under the 200 page mark of the 4th book so if you wish to discuss the first 3 I'm all for it. So far I haven't met anyone that's read them that I talk to on a regular basis. I did find the 2nd book to be a bit drawn out in places. Plus, it may be awhile before I finish the series as I am currently just about to get super busy with work. (70 hour work weeks anyone? lol)

PM if you wish to discuss in detail

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallin on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:55 am

JGH27 wrote:Kallin, I'm currently just under the 200 page mark of the 4th book so if you wish to discuss the first 3 I'm all for it. So far I haven't met anyone that's read them that I talk to on a regular basis. I did find the 2nd book to be a bit drawn out in places. Plus, it may be awhile before I finish the series as I am currently just about to get super busy with work. (70 hour work weeks anyone? lol)

PM if you wish to discuss in detail

Eh, it's been a while since I've read them. If you'd like to discuss anything in particular, feel free to start it up.

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:08 am

Heh, why is it taht a lot of topics that i don't make called "The <blank> thread"? ... Just wonderin.

I'm a pretty avid reader myslef, or at elast getting more into it.

My favorite series are:
Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest Brisingr) - as discussed before with Eiron...
Redwall novels - The series is kinda kiddy, but I've liked these books since elementary school. Currently reading "High Rhulain"... It's good, not great, read other better ones from the Redwall novels.
Harry Potter - read them all once. Like them, but don't really have an incentive to go back.

I like classic literature a lot too.
Read "To Kill a Mocking Bird," "The Great Gatsby," and "The Catcher in the Rye" because of school. Enjoyed TKaM a lot (fav of the 3), Gatsby was... interesting, but boring as fuck, and Catcher was good even thought Holden is a contradictory whiney little bitch sometimes.

Also, along with "High Rhulain," I'm reading "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk, the athour of Fight Club. It's about a sex addict and i'm about 15 pages in, but i'm hooked. I really want to get into readin more by Chuck. What he writes is engrossing. I read the first story in his book "Haunted"... pretty fucked up shit, but it's the kind of thing you can't look away from.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallin on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:12 am

I LOVED the Great Gatsby. It was kind of slow and could get bogged down in details, but it depicted an incredible scene throughout the entire book and really made Gatsby a memorable character.

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:16 am

smashbro wrote:Heh, why is it taht a lot of topics that i don't make called "The <blank> thread"? ... Just wonderin.

Also, along with "High Rhulain," I'm reading "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk, the athour of Fight Club. It's about a sex addict and i'm about 15 pages in, but i'm hooked. I really want to get into readin more by Chuck. What he writes is engrossing. I read the first story in his book "Haunted"... pretty fucked up shit, but it's the kind of thing you can't look away from.

It just seemed like the protocol *shrugs*

Also, Choke sounds interesting. May have to flip through it sometime.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:17 am

Man I used to read a ton and there was a bunch of books I loved but I don't remember them now Sad

I do remember most of David Eddings' stuff, that was pretty good. Ooh and the Takes of the Otori by Lean Hearn that is an awesome series. Harry Potter I thought was good but a little overrated. And I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird is school right now, good book.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallin on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:20 am

I really could not get into To Kill a Mockingbird or Catcher in the Rye. Everyone in my class loved them (As much as students in middle school or whenever it was could love books, haha) but I just really didn't enjoy them. The fact that they are such a staple of American literature really confused me.

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:23 am

Kallin wrote:I LOVED the Great Gatsby. It was kind of slow and could get bogged down in details, but it depicted an incredible scene throughout the entire book and really made Gatsby a memorable character.
Gatsby created a good image of what life was like for some during the Roaring Twenties, but it really wasn't the detail... actually, i don't think there was enough. it was the way the story was told. Just cut and dyr; boring. "Over The Edge of the World" (Another book, forgot to mention), a historical book, was more entertaining that it. Gatsby had good parts, but meh. At least it wasn't long.

Oh, I chose to read Slavery Defended: Views of the Old South for a book review in a AP US history class. Big mistake... kinda. Worst book i could read, if i could read it. hard aas fuck to understand and it was dryer than the driest of gin. Good part is, I totally BS'ed the Book Review and got a 50/50. (Good thing reviews are 95% opinion based with some reference to the book).

Ninja Edit: Kallin... you're weird.
And I'm NOT gettin out of the car.
The fact that The Great Gatsby is a staple to American literature onfuses ME.

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallin on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:27 am

Yeah, I am pretty weird, haha. Honestly, I'm really not a fan of school-taught American literature. Then again, I'm not a fan of American history, either. Just send me back in time, haha

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:33 am

JGH27 wrote:
smashbro wrote:Heh, why is it taht a lot of topics that i don't make called "The <blank> thread"? ... Just wonderin.

Just saw this...

If you've read any of Chuck Palahniuk's books, and I hope you have, he has a very interesting style of writing, which is why I get easily hooked on his stories and want to read more. It's like a cynacle point of view and the way he writes in first person is very good.
First chapter of Choke is about the kid as a boy(and will probably have a big relation with a theme later in the book, I don't know yet). Second chapter... guy is doin a chick...

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallin on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:36 am

I actually haven't read them. It's one of the things I keep saying I'll get around to doing, but when free time comes up, I never think about it.

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:38 am

smashbro wrote:
JGH27 wrote:

Just saw this...

If you've read any of Chuck Palahniuk's books, and I hope you have, he has a very interesting style of writing, which is why I get easily hooked on his stories and want to read more. It's like a cynacle point of view and the way he writes in first person is very good.
First chapter of Choke is about the kid as a boy(and will probably have a big relation with a theme later in the book, I don't know yet). Second chapter... guy is doin a chick...

I haven't read any of his work yet, but definently will check this out. I've only recently actually gotten into recreational reading. Must say, awesome 2nd chapter though lol.

Anyways, it's 4:38am here and I should probably get some sleep after I read some more Wizard and Glass.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:34 am

I'm currently reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It's damn hilarious.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:29 am

I don't read much. But last book I remember reading was something about london having an underworld by Neil Gainman.

Epic Graphic novel.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:15 am

I'm reading the Pokemon Special manga. It's about a million times better than the anime ever was.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallin on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:50 am

Fobby wrote:I don't read much. But last book I remember reading was something about london having an underworld by Neil Gainman.

Epic Graphic novel.

Have you read the Sandman series? It's beautiful.

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:37 pm

Ok, here we go

His Dark Materials-Its the shit-Phillip Pullman
Harry Potter of course
The Things they Carried-A Vietnam war story-Tim O'Brian
Catch-22-World War II story, a satire. Funny as hell-Joseph Heller
The Hobbit-I dunno, I just love it-Tolkien
Dracula-Its Dracula. 'Nuff said.-Bram Stroker
Most of Cornelia Funke's stuff-Inkheart series, The Theif Lord, ect.
Same with Nancy Farmer-Sea of Trolls, House of the Scorpion

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Kallin wrote:
Fobby wrote:I don't read much. But last book I remember reading was something about london having an underworld by Neil Gainman.

Epic Graphic novel.

I think I read book 3 and 5.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallin on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:55 pm

Fobby wrote:
Kallin wrote:

Epic Graphic novel.

That must've been incredibly confusing, hahaha

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Kallin wrote:
Fobby wrote:
Kallin wrote:

Epic Graphic novel.

That must've been incredibly confusing, hahaha

Pictures were pretty. That was all.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Currently working my way through the Dune series, and then it's off to Sword of Truth.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallin on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Gorblax wrote:Currently working my way through the Dune series, and then it's off to Sword of Truth.

I never finished Sword of Truth. I actually liked that series back in the day when I read it, haha. It's been like, 8 years, though. When he was still writing them and I had to wait for the books. I think I was on like, the fifth book or something.

And I've been warned not to read past the first Dune by a large number of people, haha

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:29 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top