Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread) - Page 9 Empty Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Smashy B on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:35 pm

DRTJR wrote:Can the Title of the thread be set back to it's original Title. the books in her "club" have all in my opinion been lack luster.
You... really?

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal
Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread) - Page 9 Squirtleanimated
Smashy B
Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread) - Page 9 Empty Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Doctor Shulk on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:56 am

td260 wrote:dracula and frankenstein. Both on my list of books I must read for school. Both great books. I also had to read "The Stranger". It sucked. one part I havn't completely driven from my mind was about 5 pages of him sitting on his balcony and watching the street below...
What.
The.
Hell.
That's not how you tell a goddamn story!

I liked The Stranger. Sad
Doctor Shulk
Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:49 pm

queen_camilla wrote:
td260 wrote:dracula and frankenstein. Both on my list of books I must read for school. Both great books. I also had to read "The Stranger". It sucked. one part I havn't completely driven from my mind was about 5 pages of him sitting on his balcony and watching the street below...
What.
The.
Hell.
That's not how you tell a goddamn story!

I liked The Stranger. Sad

I didn't. I read it in one day, and it left no impression. I'm not going to bash anyone that likes it, i'm just saying it doesn't suit my tastes.
TD260
TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Necro posting. Look what got released recently without me noticing:

Spoiler:
Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread) - Page 9 Artemis-fowl-and-the-atlantis-complex-by-eoin-colfer

I bloody love Artemis Fowl. He's a complete anti-hero, and in the first book he's an utter bastard. But unlike, say, Harry Potter, Artemis has a personality that actually develops as the series goes on. He softens up, becomes a bastard again, opens up again. Okay, he may be a genius and rich, but he's still human. His attempts to adjust and be normal (as normal as for someone who extorts fairies that is) are brilliant. Also you can't go wrong with a book that has passages like this:

"And dolphins, little ones," said Foaly, happy enough to be distracted from the fact that they were now chasing the probe that had blown up their shuttle, which was a bit like a mouse chasing a cat, a giant mutant cat with laser eyes and a bellyfull of smaller spiteful cats.

Also I'm fangirling like I haven't done for years over all the hints of a Artemis/Holly relationship. There had better be awkward confessions of love and a kiss at the end, goddammit...

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.
Raya
Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:35 pm

ARTEMIS FUCKING FOWL WOOHOO!!

*ahum*

I like the books as well.

Wheel of Time is by far still my favorite series, The Raymond E. Feist books are second.
Ansem
Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:02 pm

WHEEL OF TIIIIIIME!

Yeah, almost done with that series. This Sanderson fella just has, what? Two more books to go?

Looking forward to the ending.
TheTJ
TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Finished reading the Atlantis Complex. Turns out it was mostly filler. Damn.

Well, at least Artemis' descent into madness was kinda fun. And it looks like his mother will have more of a role in the next book, yay.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:49 pm

I have read all Artemis Fowl books available,I'm looking forward to the next one.They get better and better.

About Wheel of Time:what is so good about it? I'm tempted to order it,so I'd like to know,if there is some humour in it or is it dead serious?
Fedaykin
Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:58 pm

it has everything. the humor is a bit dry, but thats just my taste. its just a dayyum good series, bro.
Ansem
Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:03 pm

The Wheel of Time has some humor but is mostly a pretty serious and captivating story, at least in my opinion. It has probably the most detailed, extensive plot of any series I've ever seen, and is executed absolutely brilliantly. If you've heard the term epic, the Wheel of Time encapsulates that term, in both scope and quality.

Essentially, read it. It's amazing.
Quaetam
Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:29 am

I started my long journey today...I bought the first WoT novel.
Fedaykin
Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 am

Hey congrats! My suggustion? Keep a notebook with the names of characters with small notes on who they are. There are well over a hundred people, and sometimes it's hard to keep track of who's who.
TheTJ
TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vexx on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44 am

Currently just started to read Great Gatsby in English a few days ago. So far it is pretty good.
Vivienne Vexx
Vivienne Vexx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 am

Well,I found this: http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/A_beginning

I hope to get through all the novels in 4 or 5 months,it is possible Smile If it takes longer,well,not that bad either Wink
Fedaykin
Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:20 am

its possible, but i always want to stay with the characters as much as possible. i love them so much, especially matt.
Ansem
Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:47 pm

yeah i just started reading the first one and i'm already addicted. it's sssoooooo goooood.
DarkFalco
DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/jessica.ninness?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:32 pm

I've been reading the short literary works of H.P. Lovecraft. I think it's interesting, but I don't get where the horror is suppossed to come from. I suppose maybe it's just something I was never meant to know.

Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread) - Page 9 SurgepoxSig
smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches
SurgePox
SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:56 pm

AnsemDABROCHAMP wrote:its possible, but i always want to stay with the characters as much as possible. i love them so much, especially matt.
QFT. Rand gets emo towards the end, and perrin... idk. But matt is always funny.

New book coming out soon. Towers of midnight, i think...
TD260
TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:39 am

YES I KNOW!!!!

next month, cant wait, CANNOT WAIT!!!
Ansem
Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:36 am

Yahtzee wrote a book.

I'm reading it. It's nothing spectacular, but I'm surprised that I'm actually enjoying it. I expected it to be shit.

Basically, it's about this guy who died, got resurrected, and keeps trying to find a way to die but can't.

Also, MMORPGs.
Doctor Shulk
Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 am

SurgePox wrote:I've been reading the short literary works of H.P. Lovecraft. I think it's interesting, but I don't get where the horror is suppossed to come from. I suppose maybe it's just something I was never meant to know.

I guess it was really frightening back then,90 years ago.I've read Shadow over Innsmouth,I guess the real horro there is at the end.
Fedaykin
Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:49 am

SurgePox wrote:I've been reading the short literary works of H.P. Lovecraft. I think it's interesting, but I don't get where the horror is suppossed to come from. I suppose maybe it's just something I was never meant to know.

The horror isn't in the individual story, it's in all of them. The more you read, the more you slowly start to realise this overarcing darkness and how powerless mankind is against such elder beings. It's a horror that slowly starts to seep in without you realising, as you gradually become aware of what lies outside our perception of existence; the terrifying reality our minds cannot comprehend, that are to us as we are to bacteria. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far...

Saying that, The Colour Out Of Space nearly made me put the book in the freezer, brr.

Cookie to anyone who gets the reference

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:53 am

Raya wrote:The horror isn't in the individual story, it's in all of them. The more you read, the more you slowly start to realise this overarcing darkness and how powerless mankind is against such elder beings. It's a horror that slowly starts to seep in without you realising, as you gradually become aware of what lies outside our perception of existence; the terrifying reality our minds cannot comprehend, that are to us as we are to bacteria. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far...

Saying that, The Colour Out Of Space nearly made me put the book in the freezer, brr.

Cookie to anyone who gets the reference
I see you're somewhat familiar with this. Any reccommended reading?

Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread) - Page 9 SurgepoxSig
smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches
SurgePox
SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:11 pm

SurgePox wrote:I see you're somewhat familiar with this. Any reccommended reading?

My two favourite ones by him are At The Mountains of Madness and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. Don't read Kadath though until you've read a lot of the other stories as there's quite a few sly nods to them...not to mention learning the ultimate fate of some certain characters.

The Dunwich Horror is also good (it features the Miskantonic University kicking ass for once), Herbert West- Reanimator is a classic and of course Colour Out of Space.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:59 pm

So, I just read all 6 of the Scott Pilgrim Graphic Novels. Only one word is adequate to describe them, EPIC!
Minby_Aran
Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next