Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread) - Page 13 Empty Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  TD260 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:35 pm

IDK what he died from, but it sounds like he tried to condense at least 2 or 3 books into one there.
TD260
TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread) - Page 13 Empty Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Raya on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Just finished reading Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. By 20 pages in I'd already decided this was one of the greatest books I'd ever read.

Or narrator, R, is a zombie. But he's a lttle bit different from the rest of the undead- he dreams. He's the only one of his kind that knows they've lost something, something that makes them fundamentally human. He vaguely remembers emotions, of having the ability to feel, but being dead himself he simply can't grasp the concept.

Then one day whilst on a hunt he finds a girl named Julie. Rather than kill her and eat her brain he saves her. Julie is everything R is not- warm, funny, vibrant and alive. She's literally an explosion of colour and passion in his cold grey world. Being with her unlocks something in his mind and he thinks something no other zombie ever has before- he wants to live again. He wants to think and feel and love again, like he kinda remembers he once did. But though R is changing neither the worlds of the Living or the Undead will do so without a fight...

This book is stunning. There's no other way to put it. Yes R is dead and eats brains, but he's a genuinely sympathetic character. The zombies too are interesting; they're not mindless corpses shuffling around. They still have vague memories of being human, but just don't understand them. For instance zombie 'couples' adopt children and look after them- neither knows why, it's just something they do. The zombies are just mere shadows of humanity, and seen through R's eyes it's painfully sad. They've no past, no future, they just are.

There's the occasional duff bit since no book is perfect, but I can't sing the praises of this book enough. It's heartbreaking and hilarious, warm and brutal. Go out and buy it this instant.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.
Raya
Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Raya, as you wish. I need to read this.
Fedaykin
Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:47 pm

I bought a heap of cheap Mills and Boon.

They're so awful but at the same time strangely good. Not as decent literature, of course, but as pure escapism.

no wonder I lost NFF.
Doctor Shulk
Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:57 am

Bought Warm Bodies a minute ago. Looking forward to it!
Fedaykin
Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Raya, I love you for recommending Warm Bodies. This is absolutely amazing, R is one of my favourite characters of all time, the pacing sublime... I could go on, but Raya has put it in better words.

Before I forget to mention it: I read it twice in 4 days, despite being on a workshop.
Fedaykin
Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Yesterday, I read The Reluctant Fundamentalist for uni.

Excellent book. Very simple read, but very engaging. You, Stereotypical American Businessman, meet this man at a cafe in Lahore, and he starts telling you his story. It starts off as very idealistic, almost romantic, but of course, 9/11 happens and the story takes a rather dark turn.

It only took me a couple of hours to read it, too, which was good. I'd highly recommend it.
Doctor Shulk
Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm

And to double post, I have to recommend Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi. Apparently it's a really good film too, I haven't seen it. But the book is fantastic. It's a graphic novel autobiography, interestingly enough. So it's not very complicated to read, but it's very powerful.
Basically, it's about her childhood in Iran in the early 80s (the first part, anyway) as war breaks out with Iraq. I've only just started book 2, which is about her life in Austria/her return to Iran, but it's absolutely brilliant.
Doctor Shulk
Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Rereading Watership Down right now, mainly because I saw the film for the umpteenth time the other day and fancied reading the book again. Looking at the publisher's date I haven't read the book in about 16 years.

The film is so incredibly close to the book that reading it is almost like watching the film again. A lot of the film's dialogue is lifted straight from the book, and aside from a few tweaks to fit the story in the plot is nearly exactly the same. Now I'm older I can see a few flaws, but it's still justifiably a classic. The whole rabbit culture is completely believable and you can easily see the whole thing happening in fields behind your house. Although I'm slightly worried by the fact I can speak more Lapine than I can most European languages. Embleer Frith indeed...

First 45 seconds. Totally aimed at kids, btw.