Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  TD260 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:35 pm

IDK what he died from, but it sounds like he tried to condense at least 2 or 3 books into one there.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Just finished reading Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. By 20 pages in I'd already decided this was one of the greatest books I'd ever read.

Or narrator, R, is a zombie. But he's a lttle bit different from the rest of the undead- he dreams. He's the only one of his kind that knows they've lost something, something that makes them fundamentally human. He vaguely remembers emotions, of having the ability to feel, but being dead himself he simply can't grasp the concept.

Then one day whilst on a hunt he finds a girl named Julie. Rather than kill her and eat her brain he saves her. Julie is everything R is not- warm, funny, vibrant and alive. She's literally an explosion of colour and passion in his cold grey world. Being with her unlocks something in his mind and he thinks something no other zombie ever has before- he wants to live again. He wants to think and feel and love again, like he kinda remembers he once did. But though R is changing neither the worlds of the Living or the Undead will do so without a fight...

This book is stunning. There's no other way to put it. Yes R is dead and eats brains, but he's a genuinely sympathetic character. The zombies too are interesting; they're not mindless corpses shuffling around. They still have vague memories of being human, but just don't understand them. For instance zombie 'couples' adopt children and look after them- neither knows why, it's just something they do. The zombies are just mere shadows of humanity, and seen through R's eyes it's painfully sad. They've no past, no future, they just are.

There's the occasional duff bit since no book is perfect, but I can't sing the praises of this book enough. It's heartbreaking and hilarious, warm and brutal. Go out and buy it this instant.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Raya, as you wish. I need to read this.

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:47 pm

I bought a heap of cheap Mills and Boon.

They're so awful but at the same time strangely good. Not as decent literature, of course, but as pure escapism.

no wonder I lost NFF.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:57 am

Bought Warm Bodies a minute ago. Looking forward to it!

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Raya, I love you for recommending Warm Bodies. This is absolutely amazing, R is one of my favourite characters of all time, the pacing sublime... I could go on, but Raya has put it in better words.

Before I forget to mention it: I read it twice in 4 days, despite being on a workshop.

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Yesterday, I read The Reluctant Fundamentalist for uni.

Excellent book. Very simple read, but very engaging. You, Stereotypical American Businessman, meet this man at a cafe in Lahore, and he starts telling you his story. It starts off as very idealistic, almost romantic, but of course, 9/11 happens and the story takes a rather dark turn.

It only took me a couple of hours to read it, too, which was good. I'd highly recommend it.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm

And to double post, I have to recommend Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi. Apparently it's a really good film too, I haven't seen it. But the book is fantastic. It's a graphic novel autobiography, interestingly enough. So it's not very complicated to read, but it's very powerful.
Basically, it's about her childhood in Iran in the early 80s (the first part, anyway) as war breaks out with Iraq. I've only just started book 2, which is about her life in Austria/her return to Iran, but it's absolutely brilliant.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Rereading Watership Down right now, mainly because I saw the film for the umpteenth time the other day and fancied reading the book again. Looking at the publisher's date I haven't read the book in about 16 years.

The film is so incredibly close to the book that reading it is almost like watching the film again. A lot of the film's dialogue is lifted straight from the book, and aside from a few tweaks to fit the story in the plot is nearly exactly the same. Now I'm older I can see a few flaws, but it's still justifiably a classic. The whole rabbit culture is completely believable and you can easily see the whole thing happening in fields behind your house. Although I'm slightly worried by the fact I can speak more Lapine than I can most European languages. Embleer Frith indeed...

First 45 seconds. Totally aimed at kids, btw.

Worst happens in the book...

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:07 pm

I watched Watership down for the first time this last Halloween. We were watching movies that scarred children for life.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:24 pm

TheTJ wrote:I watched Watership down for the first time this last Halloween. We were watching movies that scarred children for life.

Funnily enough it never really bothered me as a kid. I think I was glad that for once there was an animal movie that was literally red in tooth and claw rather than woodland animals singing songs about friendship.

Think I might go bump the nostalgia thread...

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:13 pm

I just read In A Strange Room, by Damon Galgut.

I...don't think I like it. But I don't know, it's so confusing and I feel stupid saying it's confusing in my English class when everyone else just seems to get it, and I get confused and weirded out by the constant changing of person and tense, so in one paragraph he'll be 1st person present, 1st person past, and then 3rd person past, and would it honestly have killed him to use quotation marks or a question mark once in a while? D:

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:28 am

Omg, so sad! I just found out Diana Wynne Jones died.
She was one of my favourite authors. Probably best known for Howl's Moving Castle. Also wrote the Chrestomanci series.
Fire and Hemlock (a bit obscure, yeah) was probably one of my favourite books of all time. I've read it at least 30 times, if not more.

Anyway, here's a better summary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Wynne_Jones

I'm not really that in to fantasy but I absolutely love her work. I'm going to have to acquire more books of hers once I have the money, they're really wonderful reading. Her characters are...difficult, yes, but that's what makes them charming. I kinda badly describe them as being 'difficult to like...which makes them all the more likeable'.

This is a sad moment.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Currently reading Loups-Garou by Natsuhiko Kyogoku. It's set in the near future of Japan, where everything is done via a computer screen and children only interact face to face in closely supervised meetings. A serial killer- who might possibly be a werewolf- is targeting young teenagers. Three girls become embroiled in the case and (according to the back) learn there's more to virtual reality than meets the eye.

I'm...really struggling with it, to be honest. I think it's the clunky translation. Normally translating books into English isn't too bad, since English is an incredibly flexible language and even if something fails to translate right there's always a good alternative for it (just look at the Asterix comics). Translating from Japanese however...the entire style is different to Western novels and it doesn't come off very well. Paragraphs abruptly end and sometimes it's impossible to tell which character is speaking. I suppose it's not too bad in the original Japanese, what with arashi and boku and whatnot implying the gender of the speaker, but that doesn't happen in English. Combined with the infruriating habit the translator has of leaving speech marks on the end of paragraphs when the character is still speaking I've given up trying to work out who's saying that. It's mostly a load of psuedo-intellectual gumpf anyway. But this is supposed to be a murder mystery thriller, so obviously not having a clue what's going on its really imparing the story.

Oh, and right now I'm 360 pages in- about 80% of the way through- and the word 'werewolf' hasn't been mentioned once. I get the feeling it's going to end with either "SURPRISE, it's a werewolf lol" or "zomg werewolf is a metaphor for how we're no longer human". Sigh...

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Wed May 25, 2011 9:07 pm

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Friend wrote a zombie story involving him, me. and a few of our friends.

Inside this story is:

"my legs are as restless as the dead stalking us"

LULZYES.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:59 am

I still reccommend The Dresden Files. With a new book coming out july 26, now would be a good time to start the series.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 am

I just got the Howl's Moving Castle trilogy. But with uni starting again, gotta read the required texts.

Including Bridget Jones' Diary. xD

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:35 am

I just made the mistake of reading "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson. The book is awesome, the mistake part is I read book 1 of an ongoing series when book 2 isn't even out yet.

...Now I gotta wait. =(

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 am

TheTJ wrote:I just made the mistake of reading "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson. The book is awesome, the mistake part is I read book 1 of an ongoing series when book 2 isn't even out yet.

...Now I gotta wait. =(

WHEEEEEEEEEEL OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMME!!!!!!!

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:02 am

I know, I know. Last book will be coming out sometime early next year.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:14 am

Ansem wrote:
TheTJ wrote:I just made the mistake of reading "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson. The book is awesome, the mistake part is I read book 1 of an ongoing series when book 2 isn't even out yet.

...Now I gotta wait. =(

WHEEEEEEEEEEL OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMME!!!!!!!

That reminds me, I just read New Spring the novel. That was pretty good... And i felt so bad when I read the author bio and saw that it said "Jordan intends to continue writing until they nail shut his coffin"... Robert Jordan was a great man.

Another thing I remembered just now, I've heard suspiciously little from Red Eagle Entertainment...

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 pm

I've seriously been neglecting this thread. I've read about 9 books since I last posted and haven't mentioned any. Eh, ah well. So, I've just finished reading Doctor Rat by William Kotzwinkle.

Jesus fucking Christ.

I have never, in all my life, so badly wanted to put a book in the freezer. And by the ending, that fucking ending, I nearly threw the book across the room and curled up in corner rocking slowly back and forth. It's literally the most horrific, most gut-wrenching thing I have ever read in my life, and this is coming from someone who has American Psycho listed in her top 3.

The narrator for most of the book is one Doctor Rat, a rat in a vivisection laboratory who's been driven quite quite mad by his treatment. He sees himself as an intelligent scholar, asisstant to the great Learned Professor who runs the lab. He preaches to all the other laboratory rats that Death Is Freedom, that they're all basic model with no souls and to die in the name of human science is glorious. He finds all the animal experimentation to be highly interesting and noble, so we're treated to him gleefully narrating the awful torture the lab animals are put through. And it is torture; aside from Doctor Rat's insane ramblings (gassing a dog with carbon monoxide lets the army develop a better sort of shoe polish) there's no reason given for the experiments. So we have rats with tacks nailed through their feet, rabbits with boiling water poured onto their skulls, dogs getting their legs crushed and entire trays of kittens baked in ovens. What's worse is that, as I found out later, all of the experiments are in fact real ones and have been carried out before. No

But the spirit of rebellion enters the lab, starting with a dog that's made to run on a treadmill in the blazing heat until it dropped dead. Rather than verbally animals communicate with a 'thought stream', which is basically transmitting images and feelings. All over the world animals begin to pass on this rebellion and their suffering stirs the One Animal, implied to be the soul of all animals. The animals are all drawn towards particular locations, forming immense meetings in all the continents. Some don't know why they're doing this, others believe that by coming together their combined thought streams will let mankind see that they're all one animal and that will bring about a new era, where man and beast live in harmony.

It doesn't end well.

It doesn't end well at all.

The narrative jumps around a lot; we go from the lab (and Doctor Rat's attempt to quash the uprising) to the POV of the animals travelling to the meetings to the POV of various animals under man's yolk. There's the pig that spent his entire life in a stall seeing the outside world for the first time; right before being lead to the slaughter. There's the hyena in the zoo, the battery chicken getting its throat cut. But quite simply the most devastating part of the book is when you suddenly realise what's going to happen to the animals at the meeting. It's like watching a car crash about to happen, and when the animals rejoice that Man has come to the meeting...I nearly hurled the book away. It was unbearable.

It's a horrific book, there's no two ways about it, but it's a book that everyone should read at some point in their lives. It's rather good and has some very important things to say; it really should be compulsary reading. Just make sure you have someone to hug you afterwards Razz

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Seeing this thread come up reminded me that I have to read a book over summer, The Maze Runner. Which i have yet to pick up. Suppose I should get on that. Have any of you gone through it?

And wow, I might have to check out Doctor Rat.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:26 pm

This arrived for me today:

Spoiler:

I'm not sure that I want to read it. If I do that means it's the end Sad

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:45 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top