Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Smashy B on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:37 pm

THEY ACTUALLY WERE PUBLISHING IT?!?! YAYYYY! I didn't know for sure.

Now I have a reason to use by B&N gift card. I hope it's a good swan song. Sad

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:51 pm

smashbro wrote:
Now I have a reason to use by B&N gift card. I hope it's a good swan song. Sad

The ending is going to destroy me. You know how every book ends with the Recorder saying how the gates of Redwall will always be open to those true of heart, and that you will always find a warm welcome there? Yeah...

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:01 pm

been reading ANTHEM.

It is a very good (but short) book about the world post apocalyptic and a new government has taken power. And they change things trying to make everyone equal and stupid. they rip away all individuality a person may have from being given a name such as Equality (Insert random number) to being not even allowed to see a persons image of themselves as it is evil to worry about yourself for anything. even developing a relationship with the opposite sex is evil as you are then not thinking about everyone else.

basically anytime you are doing something by/for yourself or you are just naturally different such as being tall or smart, you are evil.

Out of all the stories I have gone through. This is really the only one I consider scary.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Sat May 05, 2012 3:35 pm

So, as I said, I got a few books down in Indiana earlier today. My favourites at present though are a book that was printed in 1857 in Latin entitled Theologia Theoreticae Vol 5 by Alberto A Mulsano for $10. I also got a rather busted up copy of Latin First Year for the high price of a dollar by a couple of Authors only identified as Magoffin and Henry, printed in 1928. So, hopefully I'll be able to read my new latin book, and my old copy of Winnie Ille Pu. So, I'm kind of excited about that. I also picked up a book on Gunsmithing which is pretty cool as well, even if it is 30 years old. I also picked up a book that I'm intrigued in, it's a biography of The Adams Family, and while not the tv show one, still seems to be quite interesting, this one was printed in 1930. Lastly of the old books, I picked up a book that's nothing but a bunch of stories by various British Authors, printed in 1931.

I love my old books. Also, because I saw them and they were cheap, I got books 1-4 of Percy Jackson & The Olympians and books 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 of A Series of Unfortunate Events. So yeah. Not quite the tonnage of books I aquired last time I went down there (Last time I gained somewhere in the area of 50-55 books), but still, these ones are all rather nice.

Besides, I now own a book that's 155 years old, this alone makes me happy.

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Sat May 05, 2012 4:05 pm

wheel of tiiiiiiiiiiime.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Sat May 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Um... Wha?

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 pm

January 8 man... Got a while to go....

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Mon May 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Requiem wrote:My favourites at present though are a book that was printed in 1857 in Latin entitled Theologia Theoreticae Vol 5 by Alberto A Mulsano for $10. I also got a rather busted up copy of Latin First Year for the high price of a dollar by a couple of Authors only identified as Magoffin and Henry, printed in 1928. So, hopefully I'll be able to read my new latin book, and my old copy of Winnie Ille Pu.

Latin is a language
As dead as dead can be
It killed the ancient Britons
And now it's killing me!

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Mon May 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Favourite latin saying of my dear father:

inter pedes virginum
est virorum gaudium

yep, can't deny having his genes Razz

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:01 am

Just read 50 shades of grey. It got to my real hard. so deep.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenArcher628 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:18 pm

StuckInABox wrote:Just read 50 shades of grey. It got to my real hard. so deep.

Lol, I saw that book in a naughty shop, my friend and I went to.

GreenArcher628
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:35 pm

It's around in most bookstores Razz

I've just been reading this book about bad movies. It's pretty great.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:40 pm

You guys know me...

...Doctor who books. A pile of them.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:43 pm

I would read more from Romance of the Three Kingdoms but I left it out in the sun by accident. Pretty much ruined a nice looking chinese book.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm thinking about starting a book to read over the summer, maybe a series, I just don't know what.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:19 pm

If you can find them, I suggest Oliver Johnson's Lightbringer Trilogy. Trouble is finding them though :/

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:05 pm

StuckInABox wrote:I'm thinking about starting a book to read over the summer, maybe a series, I just don't know what.

Read some Sherlock Holmes. Been working through the series myself. Get one of the collections of short stories, which are only around 10 pages each. They're pretty good reads.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Yesterday the final Artemis Fowl book got released. I love Artemis Fowl, I've been reading the series since the first book came out in 2001. The author, Eoin Colfer, did a talk/signing in Nottingham for the release and I went along to it. And I'm glad I did because it was absolutely brilliant. It was more like standup than a talk. Over 150 people turned up and everyone was in hysterics. Bought a copy of the book and got it signed by him, and he was rather pleased when I said I'd been reading since the very first book (and told me I should have bought it in to be signed!).

So now I have the finale to the Artemis Fowl series, a journey 11 years in the making. If Holly and Artemis don't get together at the end I will be flipping tables and there will be riots in the streets, mark my words!

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:16 pm

I just finished The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. It's the first time I've sat down and powered through a book in ages, and it felt good. It was a really emotional book, I just had to wipe a few tears from my eyes at the last few pages. A really good read, I highly recommend it. It's a big book, but the language is quite simple so it didn't take that long to read, despite being about 600 pages long, heh.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:41 am

I've seriously been neglecting this thread. There's been loads of books I've wanted to talk about but never got round to doing (like Dark Eden by Chriss Beckett, which was very good and atmospheric, if very incestuous. Go read it!). Some I've read have been very good (The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne), some have been pretty good (Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch) and one has the dubious honour of being the worst book I have ever read in my life (Wolves of Time 2: Seekers at the Wulfrock by William Horwood).

Figured I'd bump this thread because of the book I'm currently reading: This Book Is Full Of Spiders by David Wong. It's the sequel to John Dies At The End, which some of you may recall is one of my favourite books. JDATE is about two dropouts, Dave and John, who live in a shitty town and lead shitty lives. At a party they take a drug named Soy Sauce. Turns out Soy Sauce is actually alive and sentient, and now John and Dave can see the true nature of reality. And reality is fucked. What's worse is that an otherworldly, interdimensional invasion is going on and John and Dave are the only ones that can stop it. Essentially, we're screwed.

I made it sound like a stoner comedy there. It's not. Yes it's very funny indeed (the author often jokes the whole thing is just one elaborate penis joke), but it's also incredibly dark and utterly fucked up. You'll lose your faith in humanity a lot. But it also involves an invisible jellyfish humping a light, so y'know. Here's the trailer for the film, which looks like it follows the book quite closely:

Anyway, the sequel. I'm about two-thirds through and loving it. Hell, I was sold within the first 50 pages. It's set a bit after JDATE. John and Dave are still in their shitty town with shitty lives, and Dave is now dating Amy, a character from the first book. And John and Dave have just managed to cause the apocalypse. But it's not a nice simple one, like global warming or zombies. It's spiders. Giant, invisible, flesh-eating spiders only they can see. The spiders have about 20 legs, needle teeth and a tongue that looks exactly like a human's. They're parasites who burrow into your mouth, replace your tongue with theirs, take control of your body and eventually devolve it into a monster. And you can't see them. So yes, the world is ending and it's all John and Dave's fault.

Still as funny and scary as the first book. Wong is a master at merging horror and comedy and the book both scares you and makes you laugh, often in the same scene. Great example is when Dave gets attacked by a spider in the middle of the night. The power's gone in his house so he's stumbling round in the dark trying to fight off a scuttley thing the size of his head. He grabs his phone to call John for help only to find a picture of John's penis, followed by a 'dude if you get a message from me DON'T OPEN IT I meant to send it to someone else!'. The spider attacks again, Dave drops the phone, but the spider's poison kicks in and Dave starts to become paralysed. He loses control of his body, collapses on the floor where the goddamn spider is and desperately tries to reach the phone. He's losing all feeling in his body, frantically slapping at the phone, trying to summon help before the spider gets him-

Penis.

I admit, I actually laughed out loud in the middle of this scary scene. There's quite a few bits like this, for saying this book is a hell of a lot darker than the first. Despite all this though you do really care for our three heroes; the world is a terrible place and all they're trying to do is hang on to the little bit of happiness they have left. Although I really don't see how the hell this is going to get resolved. It's the bloody end of the world.

I could waffle on for ages about lots of other things, like how Wong has a character notice something that means nothing to them, but the reader realises its horrible significance, or how things mentioned earlier that are played for laughs suddenly become terrible once you find out the full story (the book starts with Dave seeing a court ordered psychiatrist after shooting a pizza delivery guy with a crossbow. Later on you find out why he did it...), but I've already babbled on for ages. But there's one thing I'm dreading, and I'm hope I'm wrong...

Spoiler:
Part way through the book John and Amy's names become bolded the first time they're mentioned in a chapter. Originally I thought this was a typographical error, but now I've noticed it's constant, even if the names are in the middle of a sentence. I have a horrible suspicion that John and Amy are actually spiderhosts, and Dave is going to find out that the only two people he loves are now infected by the spiders and he's going to have to kill them D:

GO READ BOTH THESE BOOKS. Seriously, they're really good. Go, now, shoo. You won't regret it.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:18 am

A Memory of Light, the last book in The Wheel of Time franchise, just came out this Tuesday and I picked it up yesterday.

Just letting everyone know it's out.

Because &*$%#@! FINALLY!

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 am

TheTJ wrote:A Memory of Light, the last book in The Wheel of Time franchise, just came out this Tuesday and I picked it up yesterday.

Just letting everyone know it's out.

Because &*$%#@! FINALLY!

RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBL

I WANT THAT! :OOOOOO

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 pm

I own it. I have yet to read it. I'm kinda sad to hold it in my hands and know that it's all over. That the Wheel of Time may keep on turning, but this Age has ended, and so has the story.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Bumping from the depths because I've recently got into the Hunger Games. I've been meaning to read it for ages since I heard it's a ripoff of Battle Royale, my favourite movie, and I finally got round to reading it. And good grief, it IS a shameless knock-off. As much as the author denies it there's a lot been lifting straight from BR (as in the entire plot and a few certain scenes).

Saying that though I am really liking it, certainly enough to pick up the other books in the series. Granted the writing is a bit on the simple side and I was mad over the pants-on-head-retarded finale, but it's still gripping reading. I'm really enjoying it and currently reading the sequel ready for the second movie next month.

It's putting me in the mood to watch Battle Royale again though...

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:28 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top