Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Smashy B on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks to spire's post in the movies thread, it reminded me that I've been meaning to bump this thread. I bought Diary by Chuck Palahniuk the other day. Wanted to get Survivor, but they didn't have it. Haven't read much, but his writing style is ever present, which very much pleases me. As I've said before, I love the way he writes. Often a dark setting, but sometimes humorous at the same time. Diary is also said to be one of his best novels (at least that's what it says on the book, lol) so I'm a little excited to read it.

Side note: Last two lines in chapter 2 made me lol.

_________________
Keeper of the keys
llll llll llll llll llll

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 7702
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 24
Location : SoCal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  spirehouse on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:16 pm

I have to say that either Rant or Haunted are his best. And I know I said "read" Haunted but what you should really do is listen to it. That was how I was exposed to it and I think the way it was meant to be.

spirehouse
Hyrulean Vagabond

Posts : 73
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 32
Location : Virginia

View user profile http://spirehouse.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Avalanche on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:29 am

Been reading a lot Stephen King lately, it really amuses me. Cell was really disturbing, and Rage was disturbingly fun. Couldnt get much out of the Colorado Kid though. Think I'll start collecting his books now I have all deathnote volumes.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 5783
Join date : 2009-02-07
Age : 24
Location : Land of Dykes and Drugs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  JGH27 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:18 pm

Avalanche91 wrote:Been reading a lot Stephen King lately, it really amuses me. Cell was really disturbing, and Rage was disturbingly fun. Couldnt get much out of the Colorado Kid though. Think I'll start collecting his books now I have all deathnote volumes.

I recommend Firestarter and the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Also recently read Frankenstein and it truly is a classic piece of literature. I never really knew the story of Frankenstein, I'd thought it was mainly just a story about a created monster but I was sooo wrong. Such a great read.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 4209
Join date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Gorblax on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:22 pm

I'm reading the Sword of Truth series right now. It's okay, if you're into mindless fantasy adventure.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 1409
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 27
Location : Binghamton, New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Serras-Kai on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:50 pm

Read the Gunslinger, but I haven't found the fourth one yet so I haven't read it yet.

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

Posts : 944
Join date : 2009-02-18
Age : 25
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  JGH27 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Serras-Kai wrote:Read the Gunslinger, but I haven't found the fourth one yet so I haven't read it yet.

I'm just finishing the fourth one (like 60 pages to go) and so far it's been my favourite. I suggest you pick it up if you find it. I assume you've read books 2 and 3 as well? If so, how'd you like The Drawing of the Three?

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 4209
Join date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  TheHunted on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:13 pm

I have three books to read over the summer!!! ISN"T SCHOOL JUST THE BEST!!!

TheHunted
Cannibal Suspect

Posts : 280
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 24
Location : AMERICA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Sanosukesama on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Its like I always tell my staff, you have 2 options:

1) Go to school, get that piece of paper & be good right out the door.
2) Don't go to school & shovel sh!7 for some random jabroni for the rest of your life.

So....3 books doesn't sound THAT bad. Cool Have read through half of 'Song of Fire & Ice', but its been a few years, like, 2003 almost? Last I remember....

Spoiler:
Daenaerys (sp) was poising herself to rule the 'Outlanders' & she had found the Dragon Egg, which would give her an immense advantage over the other rulers. Umu, that & I believe the father was foreshadowed to die....

Pretty good read, unfortunate I had to stop because I moved from Cali. :/

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

Posts : 1416
Join date : 2009-05-09
Age : 32
Location : California Bay Area

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  TheHunted on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Sanosukesama wrote:Its like I always tell my staff, you have 2 options:

1) Go to school, get that piece of paper & be good right out the door.
2) Don't go to school & shovel sh!7 for some random jabroni for the rest of your life.

So....3 books doesn't sound THAT bad. Cool Have read through half of 'Song of Fire & Ice', but its been a few years, like, 2003 almost? Last I remember....

Spoiler:
Daenaerys (sp) was poising herself to rule the 'Outlanders' & she had found the Dragon Egg, which would give her an immense advantage over the other rulers. Umu, that & I believe the father was foreshadowed to die....

Pretty good read, unfortunate I had to stop because I moved from Cali. :/

I don't mind reading. If I get to choose the book. And Option 2 doesn't sound half bad.... as long as I get paid a lot to shovel the shit.

TheHunted
Cannibal Suspect

Posts : 280
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 24
Location : AMERICA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Serras-Kai on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:39 pm

JGH27 wrote:
Serras-Kai wrote:Read the Gunslinger, but I haven't found the fourth one yet so I haven't read it yet.

I'm just finishing the fourth one (like 60 pages to go) and so far it's been my favourite. I suggest you pick it up if you find it. I assume you've read books 2 and 3 as well? If so, how'd you like The Drawing of the Three?
I thought it was harder to follow than the first one (although not by much) and had some very interesting plot devices, but all in all not as good as the first or third ones.

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

Posts : 944
Join date : 2009-02-18
Age : 25
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  JGH27 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:51 pm

Same for me. I just felt it had a lot of filler that made it drag a bit. Still good, just doesn't compare to the others thusfar.

Wait til you get 4, it introduces something that I really like called a "Thinny" and it plays a pivotal role. I won't spoil anything tho.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 4209
Join date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Serras-Kai on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:40 pm

JGH27 wrote:Same for me. I just felt it had a lot of filler that made it drag a bit. Still good, just doesn't compare to the others thusfar.

Wait til you get 4, it introduces something that I really like called a "Thinny" and it plays a pivotal role. I won't spoil anything tho.
Sounds interesting.
I need to find a bookstore.

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

Posts : 944
Join date : 2009-02-18
Age : 25
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  JGH27 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Serras-Kai wrote:
JGH27 wrote:Same for me. I just felt it had a lot of filler that made it drag a bit. Still good, just doesn't compare to the others thusfar.

Wait til you get 4, it introduces something that I really like called a "Thinny" and it plays a pivotal role. I won't spoil anything tho.
Sounds interesting.
I need to find a bookstore.

Indeed, or buy it online.

It's a good combination of action, fantasy, horror and love all in one. Although I spoiled something for myself by reading the inside cover of the fifth one which had me reading knowing said event is/was going to occur Sad

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 4209
Join date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Avalanche on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:18 am

JGH27 wrote:
Avalanche91 wrote:Been reading a lot Stephen King lately, it really amuses me. Cell was really disturbing, and Rage was disturbingly fun. Couldnt get much out of the Colorado Kid though. Think I'll start collecting his books now I have all deathnote volumes.

I recommend Firestarter and the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Also recently read Frankenstein and it truly is a classic piece of literature. I never really knew the story of Frankenstein, I'd thought it was mainly just a story about a created monster but I was sooo wrong. Such a great read.

Oow, I'm trying to find the first book of the Dark Tower, I'm trying. Unfortunatly this is Holland =_=; 40% of the books are detective/murder and after 2 dozen of those you get the hang of it (butler did it), 50% is mindless bullshit drama (as I call romance books in general), and maybe 10% are books I might actually consider reading. Maybe I should read the English version.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 5783
Join date : 2009-02-07
Age : 24
Location : Land of Dykes and Drugs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  JGH27 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:20 am

Ahh I see. Perhaps ordering online? Also, it's called The Gunslinger if it helps.

I can imagine those books would get boring/predictable after awhile.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 4209
Join date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Avalanche on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Those romance books I had to read for school were the worst. Pretty much everything predictable and stereotypical is getting pulled off in a attempt to keep it easy for the flimsy mind of the average reader. Yes, my teachers figured I was quite a critic.....blame watching ZP.

If I can read chapter 1, and give a pretty accurate description of how its gonna end, the writer did something wrong. true/false?

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 5783
Join date : 2009-02-07
Age : 24
Location : Land of Dykes and Drugs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  JGH27 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Avalanche91 wrote:Those romance books I had to read for school were the worst. Pretty much everything predictable and stereotypical is getting pulled off in a attempt to keep it easy for the flimsy mind of the average reader. Yes, my teachers figured I was quite a critic.....blame watching ZP.

If I can read chapter 1, and give a pretty accurate description of how its gonna end, the writer did something wrong. true/false?

100% true, why read a book where you kow how it's going to end.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 4209
Join date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Avalanche on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:34 pm

A perfectly good reason not to read a book that no single teacher will ever accept

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 5783
Join date : 2009-02-07
Age : 24
Location : Land of Dykes and Drugs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  spirehouse on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Avalanche91 wrote:100% true, why read a book where you know how it's going to end.

I am one of those terrible, frustrating people who will read the end of a book before the rest of it. I read the first and last chapters first. Usually reading the end of a book makes me want to learn how it got there. Unless, as it was said, it's totally predictable.

spirehouse
Hyrulean Vagabond

Posts : 73
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 32
Location : Virginia

View user profile http://spirehouse.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Serras-Kai on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:26 pm

spirehouse wrote:
Avalanche91 wrote:100% true, why read a book where you know how it's going to end.

I am one of those terrible, frustrating people who will read the end of a book before the rest of it. I read the first and last chapters first. Usually reading the end of a book makes me want to learn how it got there. Unless, as it was said, it's totally predictable.
I usually read the last page before I read the rest of it.
Typically I wish I hadn't.

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

Posts : 944
Join date : 2009-02-18
Age : 25
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Smashy B on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:09 am

I would be very disappointed in myself if I were to read the end of the book before the events leading up to it.

_________________
Keeper of the keys
llll llll llll llll llll

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 7702
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 24
Location : SoCal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Eiron on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Just finished reading Dune, which was pretty cool. But now I have to wonder, if we got a member named Sardaukar, would Fedaykin have to kill him?

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 3252
Join date : 2008-10-04
Age : 27
Location : USF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Fedaykin on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:00 am

First,I'm happy that you liked it Smile Hope you read the others too,they are all equally epic and you'd be quite surprised,which character plays a huge role for the rest of the series(I was).

And I guess we would have a fight to the death,mano a mano,knife to knife.I imagine a 1on1 match of TF2 on Dustbowl,Sardaukar being the Heavy and me being the Spy...now I got excited Very Happy

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 3159
Join date : 2009-04-06
Age : 32
Location : Vienna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Eiron on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:33 pm

That would indeed be epic. XP

I'm definitely going to be picking up the other books, I really enjoyed the first one. Is it weird that my favorite character was Count Fenring?

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 3252
Join date : 2008-10-04
Age : 27
Location : USF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oprah Winfrey's Book Club (The Book Thread)

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:01 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum