Post  zach also rises on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:06 pm

You asked!

zach also rises
One whom tells the tales...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Its a bird, Its a Plane, No its Episode 4

Post  SavageD49 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:28 pm

Wow i go away after i start the topic and now pages come up cools, thats 2 times i get it lol

All jks aside this episode was indeed epic Ganondorf the star trio the fight and the little references here and there was just epic.

I wont say much cause everything has already been said, but I was left confused on a few things.

When Ganondorf says "What I failed to do in thousands of years these little D@$kless maggots accomplished with 2 elections." Does this mean he was trying to destroy Hyrule...I really didn't get this line in the context. Also when he says your new ruler is he talking about himself?

What did that hyrule begger's board say.

And lastly the end of days, just to be clear is this a pikmin reference or your own idea within TWBB, because i haven't played pikmin and wouldn't know.

SavageD49
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:35 pm

SavageD49 wrote:When Ganondorf says "What I failed to do in thousands of years these little D@$kless maggots accomplished with 2 elections." Does this mean he was trying to destroy Hyrule...I really didn't get this line in the context.
I believe he meant conquering Hyrule.
SavageD49 wrote:And lastly the end of days, just to be clear is this a pikmin reference or your own idea within TWBB, because i haven't played pikmin and wouldn't know.
Olimar's Final Smash is "End of Day", though this doesn't mean it can't have another meaning, plot-wise.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Labyrinth W on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:51 pm

All in all, I like this series. It is quite an unusual take on Brawl; it would never have occurred to me to do film noir. All of these characterizations --- from the Mario Bros., to Wario, to Kirby, just to name a few --- are quite fun to watch, though I was surprised at Samus (however, it does fit with not only the overall tone of the show, but also her Final Smash within the game, so I'm not really bothered by it.)

The only problem I have is when Ganondorf blamed Hyrule's collapse on "two elections." As a whole, the episode was good, but was that political soapboxing necessary? Will there be more of that?

Anyway, keep up the good work. I can't wait for Episode 5.

Labyrinth W
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SavageD49 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Blue Madness wrote:
SavageD49 wrote:When Ganondorf says "What I failed to do in thousands of years these little D@$kless maggots accomplished with 2 elections." Does this mean he was trying to destroy Hyrule...I really didn't get this line in the context.
I believe he meant conquering Hyrule.
SavageD49 wrote:And lastly the end of days, just to be clear is this a pikmin reference or your own idea within TWBB, because i haven't played pikmin and wouldn't know.
Olimar's Final Smash is "End of Day", though this doesn't mean it can't have another meaning, plot-wise.

Its what I thought at first, but wasnt he saying that within 2 election they destroyed Hyrule with economic collapse

SavageD49
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Or maybe it was a snub. hehe. The world may never know.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:09 pm

Blue Madness wrote:
Basically it's a reference it Olimar's final smash, like you said, but also how in the Pikmin games, terror and evil (meaning the bulborbs and other enemies in the games) come out at night or the end of the days to wreak havoc.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Labyrinth W wrote:
The only problem I have is when Ganondorf blamed Hyrule's collapse on "two elections." As a whole, the episode was good, but was that political soapboxing necessary? Will there be more of that?
I doubt that there was any real world meaning behind that, if that's what you're getting at.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StarWolf on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 am

First off, kudos to the costume designer. I was truly blown away by the star fox trios' costumes. The fight scene was a nice change of pace, and Ganon was just great. Looking forward to episode 5, keep up the good work.

StarWolf
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Holy crap, episode 4 is awesome!

Post  Poochy on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:50 am

There are so many inside jokes and hidden references! There's even a reference to the non-existant Mother game where Ness and Lucas are like, 8 years old!

Fobby, as a fellow Earthbound fan even you must be at least a bit miffed at Ness being reduced to a giggling little boy playing in the streets.

Wikis are your friend, Zach and Matthew...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to not take beloved, teenage Nintendo characters and turn them into giggling little boys playing in the street.

Poochy
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:00 am

Umm...
Mario has problems with his blood pressure. Luigi sells drugs. Peach does it with both of the Mario Bros. Wario is a drug addict. Link's a douche and a police chief. Ganondorf has a New York accent. The Star Fox gang are foreign arms dealers. Kirby is a complete psychopath.

And you complain about Ness and Lucas, who hardly have appeared in this series?

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  skark on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:53 am

Not to mention that in their games and in Brawl, Ness and Lucas look like children anyways. I thought they were children, and I don't think anyone except followers of the original game (a very small percentile of those who love Brawl/watch this series) would even guess that they're teens.

Summary: Listen to their voices, for God's sake!

skark
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:58 am

If you'd get an actual 13-year old to play Ness, he probably wouldn't look anything like the Ness in SSBB. 13-year old kids can be pretty tall.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:04 am

As much as I love the Mother series I kinda agree with SC here. I mean having Fox and Wolf as friends is worse than this (I think?). Yes it doesn't quite fit them but come on Ice Climbers as bodyguards, Squirtle in the asylum, that stuff is definately worse. Some minor characters have there roles streched a bit yes, but it was bound to happen there are a lot of characters in SSBB and fitting and an accurate representation of all of them into one story would be hard. There were some roles that needed to be filled so the closest character was given them even if it wasn't a perfect fit.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poochy on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:45 am

Come on, guys! You're actually coming to Zach's defense for what is undeniably this show's biggest cop-out? Surprised
That's just sad..

Spontaneous Combustion wrote:Umm...
Mario has problems with his blood pressure. Luigi sells drugs. Peach does it with both of the Mario Bros. Wario is a drug addict. Link's a douche and a police chief. Ganondorf has a New York accent. The Star Fox gang are foreign arms dealers. Kirby is a complete psychopath.

And you complain about Ness and Lucas, who hardly have appeared in this series?

Too. Fucking. Easy. You didn't even try.

All those characters you just mentioned? They're douchebags and criminals because of the hard time that the world has fallen onto. This is particularly evident when Luigi reminisces about the good old days of "stomping the bad guys".

Luigi is still an adult. An adult who sells drugs. Ness and Lucas are cute little brats instead of thirteen year old psychic warriors. They giggle and chase each other around instead of, I dunno, kicking butt with PK Thunder or something. Even if they had changed for the worse and became drug dealers that would have been more interesting and done more justice to the characters than to make them appear half their age for just a small cameo bit.

skark wrote:Not to mention that in their games and in Brawl, Ness and Lucas look like children anyways. I thought they were children, and I don't think anyone except followers of the original game (a very small percentile of those who love Brawl/watch this series) would even guess that they're teens.

You don't have to be a follower of the original game. You just have to played it/read the strategy guide to guess that these are young teenagers.

Summary: Listen to their voices, for God's sake!

Are you serious? Are you actually trying to use their voices in Brawl in defense of them being portrayed as little kids?
Perhaps you've heard of Japan where male characters under the age of 15 are routinely voiced by women.

Summary: Ness and Lucas aren't the stupid little kids playing in the street type. It's becoming apparent that someone has a really loose understanding of the Brawl characters. I now shudder to think of what Young Link will be like...

Poochy
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poochy on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:57 am

Spontaneous Combustion wrote:If you'd get an actual 13-year old to play Ness, he probably wouldn't look anything like the Ness in SSBB. 13-year old kids can be pretty tall.

And if you got an actual grown man to play Mario, he wouldn't look anything like Mario. Compare Mario to Link in SSBB. Mario is about four feet tall! He is rather round, has large blue eyes, and is far more comical looking than you could ever expect a real human being to be. But he is an adult, so they cast an adult actor to play him. So you really don't have a point there, do you? Try harder if you really expect to justify the casting of actors who look like they are half the age of the characters they are supposed to be playing.

Poochy
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:37 am

Come on, guys! You're actually coming to Zach's defense for what is undeniably this show's biggest cop-out?
That's just sad..

And you're actually making such a big deal over a small thing. That's just too much.
And this show's biggest change in character isn't what they did to the two psychic kids. It's Meta Knight. He's certainly an anti-hero or even a villain in Kirby but he's a cop here. I'll forgive the team for that, though, because they still made Meta Knight so badass.

Ness and Lucas are only small supporting characters in this, just there to add some innocence to the dark and gritty world of TWBB. Be glad that they at least appeared and looked like who they're supposed to be.

PS: Oh, and from what I have heard, Lucas is a preteen.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poochy on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:55 am

[quote="Spontaneous Combustion"]
Come on, guys! You're actually coming to Zach's defense for what is undeniably this show's biggest cop-out?
That's just sad..

And you're actually making such a big deal over a small thing. That's just too much.
And this show's biggest change in character isn't what they did to the two psychic kids. It's Meta Knight. He's certainly an anti-hero or even a villain in Kirby but he's a cop here. I'll forgive the team for that, though, because they still made Meta Knight so badass.

Actually, Meta-Knight helped Kirby in at least one game (Kirby's Adventure) and probably a few more than that, too.
He's a villain, but he's never been portrayed as an inherently evil one--just a guy who wanted to take over the world.
Add that to the fact that he's a good guy in the anime, and I don't see the issue there. They can change the characters all they want, I don't care--it's a dark series, I expect the characters to be a little different. But it's a cold hard fact that Ness is 13 years old. Mother 2 certainly isn't a game seen from the perspective of a little kid: there are sexual undertones and all sorts of gags in Earthbound that would go straight over most preteen kids' heads. I hope Zach plays Earthbound one day, so maybe can get a better understanding of what the series is all about...

Ness and Lucas are only small supporting characters in this, just there to add some innocence to the dark and gritty world of TWBB. Be glad that they at least appeared and looked like who they're supposed to be.

PS: Oh, and from what I have heard, Lucas is a preteen.

That's the whole problem! Ness happens to be a lot of people's favorite Smash Brothers character, and for him to be reduced to a small non-speaking role is an insult. I was hoping Zach would get over his pedophobia by the time Ness and Lucas (and yes, I looked into it, and Lucas is youner than Ness; funny thing, then, that he appears to be taller than Ness in that scene...) were introduced into the show. The real issue here isn't even that Ness is the wrong age, it's that you know damn well as I do that that is pretty much all we are going to see of him. I get that casting a kid that small to play Ness could actually be a good thing since he looks more like the cartoonish Ness that we all see in the games, but why not let the kid speak, at least help out by zapping a bad guy in the midst of a fight? Pedophobia, perhaps?

Poochy
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poochy on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:21 pm

And why are Fox, Falco, and Wolf talking in Russian accents, anyway? I get that they are supposed to be a parody/reference to the punks in A Clockwork Orange, but...Russian?

Poochy
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BustaJonesGavin on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:07 pm

Creative license is a wonderful thing. The storyline isn't supposed to match your internal fandom. Smile Just sit back and enjoy the ride instead of picking at every little thing.

BustaJonesGavin
Marth

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hki6m0bifg

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Don't get me wrong, I would certainly have preferred Ness and Lucas to have their characters expanded on, but I completely understand why they are just supporting characters. If you stuff in too many main characters all the time, you don't really get to explore any of their personalities.

...I had a really fun idea for a TWBB Ness before he was introduced in the series, by the way. I guess I could post it here just for fun.

I thought Ness could have been a some sort of a mentally scarred psychic child, maybe referencing The Sixth Sense in some ways. His character could have been explored through his psychiatrist's eyes. I mean, just think about it:

Psychiatrist: Hello, Ness. What are you drawing?
*Ness turns towards psychiatrist and shows him a drawing of Giygas*
Ness: He says he's happy. But it hurts him.
He scares me sometimes. At night. In my dreams.
*psychiatrist retreats slowly and carefully*

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallin on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:32 pm

The first rule of fiction: Don't ask why, just enjoy the storytelling.

As far as Ness and Lucas being a cop-out, think back to the games. While he turned out as a psychic warrior, he was still just a kid on a trip. He called his parents and they kept sending him money. He grew up in the game, yeah, that's character development. But I'm not so certain that it is necessary to use the end result in this show. The idea of him and Lucas playing on the streets when the world isn't being threatened by psychic aliens from the future/past is not that difficult to grasp. Especially when they have yo-yos, which everyone knows are natures Good Times.

This is Alternate Reality Fiction.

This is TWBB.

(By the way, if you want to use those last two lines, you have to pay me.)

Kallin
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Last edited by SurgePox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Central Scrutinizer on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:09 pm

Kallin wrote:

This is Alternate Reality Fiction.

This is TWBB.

This guy has got the right idea. Summed up was I was going to say perfectly.

Aside from shout-outs to the real canon, this is suppoused to be an alternate reality. Bowser can have an erotic affair with DK for all I care as long as they manage to make it work. It's only a show, sit back and enjoy the ride.

(By the way, if you want to use those last two lines, you have to pay me.)

Do you take check?

Central Scrutinizer
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top