My problems with the show so far...

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My problems with the show so far...

Post  Zeppo on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:38 pm

First off I'd like to say I DO enjoy this show. A serious look at nintendo characters is something most of us have thought about at some time or other and it's great to see it done in an accomplished and creative fashion.

I have a few complaints though and I wonder if anyone else agrees. Firstly-there are just WAY too many negative characterisations. The only character we can really root for is Luigi. Nobody else is likeable. I think it was pretty unnecessary to make the star fox crew evil ruffians and also not very sensical in relation to their videogame personas. Episode 4 actually kinda got me down-seeing that and then the just kind of weird presentations of Sonic and Snake. I think it was a bit of a waste on every single front.

My other problem is the story line...what's the story line again lol? You cant just spend 8 minutes of an episode introducing us to random minor characters who dont seem to show up again! I KNOW the fun of this is to see how you'll do the characterisations but not at the expense of developing an interesting story.

So the princess in captured and there's a dismemberer out there. We're on episode 4 and that's pretty much all it boils down to.

I like the show and everything but damn, it just feels a bit uneven and after the first episode I thought it COULD have developed into pure greatness but episode 4 was by far the worst....

Zeppo
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My problems with the show so far...

Post  .. on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:53 pm

The reason all the characters have negative characterisations is because, heck the Mushroom Kingdom is run-down. Its not the lovable place we all knew. So if the place is all run down the people probably have negative characteristics.

I think things went to hell when Kirby went on a cannable raid. Mushroom Kingdom absorbed Hyrule, the 4 mob bosses: Ganon, Mew-Two (deceased) , King Dedede, and Bowser wreak havoc among the Mushroom Kingdom. When Mew-Two is killed the other 3 mobs will rush to take over his territory making the factions imbalanced meaning the possibility that whoever takes Mew-Two's territory may be able to take over the other mobs. Mew-Two, Pichu, and Roy were killed by a mystery body dismemberer. Ganon takes Luigi, and so on into episode 4. That my friend is the story so far.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Negative characterisations? I disagree, most the characters are quite likeable to me. These are hard times for the Mushroom Kingdom and desperate times call for desperate measures. The Star Fox Trio weren't evil they were just dealing in shady illegal buisness to survive, but so is Luigi with his drug sales. Captain Falcon, G&W and the cops seem to be the only ones making a living through legitimate means and even some of them are suspicious. The characters aren't negative it's the setting.

Slow Plot? I kinda agree with you there, not a lot seems to progress in the space of one episode. But I don't find it that bad and I'm sure the creators know what they're doing.

As for you find episode 4 the worst for me it's in a toss-up with 3 for the best. But in the end it's all just opinion so it doesn't matter.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeppo on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Wow. You think opinions dont even matter? That's a truly sad way to think!

I agree that The Mushroom Kindgom being run down WILL breed immorality but I think we needed a few more rounded characters. Luigi is interesting-morally ambiguous- a down trodden man trying to make it in a messed up world. I dont think Mario needed to be such an extremely negative presentation (thuggish/alcoholic/cruel to Luigi) I just think maybe the kind of subtelties in Luigi's character need to be in at least one or two more because it's basically just Luigi and a load of two dimensional characters.

Zeppo
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MENTOK the MINDTAKER on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Bowsers demeanour and characteristics may just knock your socks off Zeppo Wink
-is basing this on nothing and is purely speculation-

MENTOK the MINDTAKER
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:16 pm

That's not....quite what he meant, I don't think. Sure, we can state our opinions all we like, but it doesn't really make that much of a difference on what the creators will do with the rest of the series. Maybe a minor tweak, and I mean REALLY minor, but overall they'll continue with what they have in mind.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeppo on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:25 pm

I really dont want to influence the creators considering they ARE doing something I respect and enjoy already and maybe everything will come together. I'm just sharing my thoughts on things so far.

Zeppo
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:00 pm

It's film noir, not a SSBB super-tribute where all the best guys work together because they are all nice and love justice. Everyone is twisted because it works with the atmosphere of the world of TWBB, and believe it or not some of us think it's kinda funny to see Captain Falcon as a gay nightclub worker.

If you are disappointed with the way your character is being portrayed, think about it this way: Rather than asking yourself "Does this fit my character?" instead ask "If anyone in the SSBB world were to take on this role, who would it be?" Given already that Luigi is the main protagonist, many of these roles make sense. Samus would be the femme fatale; Link is the best choice for the corrupt cop. It's easy to overlook the fact that this is a detective film series.

In their canon, the Starfox crew are traveling mercenaries. They are scavengers who travel about looking for any job to make some money (and perhaps save lylat in the process.) In my opinion they are the perfect fit in this world for thugs doing shady business to make ends meet. They certainly fit the role better than the mother children.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:22 pm

You said Luigi id the only likable character. Red is a likable character and I'm rooting for hom. If only he'd show his face on the forums...

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Well Wario is already Greedy as it is so basically he is himself. But Wario is likeable.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:06 pm

As much as I would love to prove you wrong, Everyone's already said it. =p

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:08 pm

I just now noticed the Brawl Pts. Whats with that?

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Dunno about the points, I asked in the site update thread

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:43 pm

Well, I'm going to throw in my two cents BECAUSE I CAN. Also, I think a critique thread isn't a bad idea.

Personally, I've loved every character so far. I mean, how can you not love Wario and Captain Falcon? And if you meant that Luigi is the only one who could be considered a "good guy," look at Peach, Samus, Red...the list goes on.

I agree that the plot is moving along rather slowly, but I think that the goal was to focus more on the characters themselves. The Nintendo aspect of the series is the hook that drew us all in, and we stay and watch because we love watching all our favorite characters get a little twisted around, become a little shadier, and really take on a life of their own that still feels true to them.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Meta Knight on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Zeppo wrote:Wow. You think opinions dont even matter? That's a truly sad way to think!
To be honest, it's not like they're going to go back and reshoot Episode 4 just to move the story along or make the Fox Trio less scumbag-like.

You do make a valid point about there being two very large loose ends introduced in the series and we're halfway through it and nothing's progressed in terms of solving it... One day (just about) has passed since the beginning of Episode 1 and we're expecting Luigi to solve it over night? Being the logical person I am I'd have to say I'm a little concerned over that, but am willing to see how Matt/Zach have planned it out. Smile

The Meta Knight
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Is it over the span of just 1 day though?

Also, I'm just not a fan of 8 episodes. I'm greedy, I know lol

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:00 pm

The Meta Knight wrote:
To be honest, it's not like they're going to go back and reshoot Episode 4 just to move the story along or make the Fox Trio less scumbag-like.

You do make a valid point about there being two very large loose ends introduced in the series and we're halfway through it and nothing's progressed in terms of solving it... One day (just about) has passed since the beginning of Episode 1 and we're expecting Luigi to solve it over night? Being the logical person I am I'd have to say I'm a little concerned over that, but am willing to see how Matt/Zach have planned it out. :)

Can you say, Season 2?
I know I can :D

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  I Roam on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 pm

Zeppo wrote:Wow. You think opinions dont even matter? That's a truly sad way to think!

Luigi is interesting-morally ambiguous- a down trodden man trying to make it in a messed up world. I dont think Mario needed to be such an extremely negative presentation (thuggish/alcoholic/cruel to Luigi)

Luigi is shagging his brothers main squeeze! How's that for morally ambiguous? scratch

I Roam
Mario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MENTOK the MINDTAKER on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:35 pm

Good call Razz

I Roam wrote:Luigi is shagging his brothers main squeeze! How's that for morally ambiguous? scratch

MENTOK the MINDTAKER
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  I Roam on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:37 pm

Gracie cheers

I Roam
Mario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:40 am

Not a problem with the show, but a random thought. I am watching the old Super Mario Bros Super Show and saw Bob-Ombs diving off a bridge to blow it up. I realize it might not fit in this series but if you were to do a sequal or something you could always have suicide bob-ombers.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  I Roam on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:43 am

JGH27 wrote:Not a problem with the show, but a random thought. I am watching the old Super Mario Bros Super Show and saw Bob-Ombs diving off a bridge to blow it up. I realize it might not fit in this series but if you were to do a sequal or something you could always have suicide bob-ombers.

if only...

I Roam
Mario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:53 am

Well? Bob-ombs are in ssbb, they might make an appearance yet. If you think about it, with how TWBB is set, they could easily be used in some turf warfare as grenades or something like that.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:55 am

Relmitos wrote:Well? Bob-ombs are in ssbb, they might make an appearance yet. If you think about it, with how TWBB is set, they could easily be used in some turf warfare as grenades or something like that.

True, I'm assuming if it's not already in the script I doubt it'd be added. Crossing my fingers though as I like my idea

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zach also rises on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:06 pm

I haven't read anyone else's responses so I'm just going to respond directly to this dude.

Zeppo wrote:Firstly-there are just WAY too many negative characterisations. The only character we can really root for is Luigi. Nobody else is likeable. I think it was pretty unnecessary to make the star fox crew evil ruffians and also not very sensical in relation to their videogame personas. Episode 4 actually kinda got me down-seeing that and then the just kind of weird presentations of Sonic and Snake. I think it was a bit of a waste on every single front.

Yeah, this might not be the show for you. Nothing much else to say about that.

Zeppo wrote:My other problem is the story line...what's the story line again lol? You cant just spend 8 minutes of an episode introducing us to random minor characters who dont seem to show up again!

So the princess in captured and there's a dismemberer out there. We're on episode 4 and that's pretty much all it boils down to.

Wait, really? Again, might just not be the show for you. I respect your opinion and hope you keep watching and enjoy where the show goes, but don't expect things to change around here.

Last edited by zach also rises on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total

zach also rises
One whom tells the tales...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top