Publically Available Health Hazards

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Publically Available Health Hazards

Post  Smashy B on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Regardless, Null, you broke your end of the deal. Let's not have to do this again.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MENTOK the MINDTAKER on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Maybe you mods can make up for destroying my thread by making relevant posts now? Laughing

MENTOK the MINDTAKER
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Make Believe Is Great! =D on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:20 am

To restore this topic to its formal glory, I came across a topic on MSN news which I think everyone here might find interesting, and since it's summer in the states.The topic of public hazards is of public pools. Here, I have the whole topic of what MSN news discussed. So, no. I did not write this selection.

Peeing in The Public Pool: One In Five People Do It.

A new survey reveals that pool-peeing is uncomfortably common, but you can take steps to protect yourself.
By Megan O'Neill.

Public pools across the country are open for the summer season, but a recent survey could make you think twice about jumping in. According to the poll, almost half of swimmers admit to one or more behaviors that contribute to an unsanitary pool. And you've probably suspected as much, since the poll also shows 84 percent of us believe our fellow swimmers participate in unhygienic pool behavior.

THE DETAILS: The poll of 1,000 adults was conducted in late April and early May of this year by the Water Quality and Health Council, a body of scientific and other experts who advise the American Chemistry Council, an industry trade association. One in five respondents (17 percent) admitted to urinating in the pool, while almost eight in ten (78 percent) are convinced that their fellow swimmers are guilty of this act. Plus, about a third (35 percent) jump in without showering first, and three-quarters (73 percent) think other swimmers do the same. Even though most people seem wary of the hygienic standards of the swimmers around them, only 36 percent say that pool water cleanliness is on their mi nd when they take the plunge.

WHAT IT MEANS: Besides being just plain gross, filthy pool practices can lead to unsafe swimming conditions. Urine—as well as sweat and even sunscreen—contain nitrogen, which eats up a pool's free chlorine. Free chlorine is what kills waterborne germs that could make you sick if ingested. So if too many people are peeing in the pool or diving in while sweaty, that could mean less chlorine's available to wipe out nasty critters.

Even when chlorine levels are at proper levels, some illness-causing organisms can survive. For example, about two-thirds of all recreational water illnesses (or RWIs) are caused by Cryptosporidium, a chlorine-resistant microorganism that causes diarrhea. "Crypto can survive for as many as 10 days, even in a well-maintained pool," says Michele Hlavas, epidemiologist in the Division of Parasitic Diseases for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Which is why swimmers need to take on some of the responsibility for maintaining the safety of their pools. "Pool operators can't do it all by themselves, as it's the swimmers who bring the parasites into the water," says Hlavas. "Swimmers have to get invested in keeping their pool clean and keeping themselves healthy

If anyone cares to personally tell me what they think, please email me.

Make Believe Is Great! =D
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serras-Kai on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:50 am

Sanosukesama wrote:Oh snap, 400 posts! DeDeDe's Enforcer!
inorite?

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:29 am

Good thing there have been some years since I last swam in a pool. Oo

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MENTOK the MINDTAKER on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:22 pm

While they are only hazards due to carlessly nudging them off high elevations or deliberately throwing them, bricks by themselves aren't a health hazard... without the aid of man. Take this hero for example Very Happy :
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/837139/china-road-vigilante-a-web-hit-report

MENTOK the MINDTAKER
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitty Kat on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Blue Madness wrote:Good thing there have been some years since I last swam in a pool. Oo

lol. I have to agree with you. The pools around here are aweful. No And to think that people have the nerve to use it as one, big, giant tolit. Suspect

Kitty Kat
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:18 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top