Make Up and Costumes

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Make Up and Costumes

Post  binkx on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:39 am

Hey everyone! This is Diana- costumes and key Make up on the Brawl Project.
Wanted to drop a little thread in here to offer up any answers to questions you all may have about the costumes and make up for Brawl.
I'm so happy to see such a positive response to our hard work and hope that with a little help we can finish the last parts of the story.

Thanks!
-Diana

binkx
Nana, The Ice Climber

View user profile http://www.projectcosplay.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Up and Costumes

Post  SiliconeSoldier on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:25 pm

The characters were wearing makeup?

SiliconeSoldier
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor Tweek on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:35 pm

I am loving the character makeup. Did you have to make the Mario Bros noses or were they bought?
And...what the hey is Kirby made out of? Creepy little marshmellow man...

Sailor Tweek
Riff Raff

View user profile http://sailortweek.livejournal.com/profile

Back to top Go down

Post  solarsun on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:11 pm

Yeah how did you make kirby???

solarsun
Toad Thug

View user profile http://www.drunkduck.com/Stranger_Things_have_Happened/

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Mercer on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:22 pm

I made Kirby using a large, inflatable Exercise ball as a base, then coated it with moistened plaster bandages. Many layers and some drying later, I could deflate the ball and remove it, leaving the spherical shell behind. Then, the jaw, arm holes, and eye-sockets could be cut from the shell. The Eyebrows were sculpted with paper-clay on the face, then the entire body was coated in an epoxy resin to smooth it out and add strength to the body.

The eyes were decorative fiberglass balls purchased from Target, painted over with the details, then coated in Epoxy resin to give that creepy, wet, glossy look. The teeth were acrylic nails trimmed into points and glued into the craft-foam gums. All moving joints are attached with rubber-bands and metal loops on the inside.

He was a bitch to put together, but I'm fairly happy with the outcome.

Matthew Mercer
One whom pulls the strings...

View user profile http://www.therewillbebrawl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pure_awesome on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:25 pm

He's a creepy sonuvabitch, I'll give you that.

Diana, one thing that's been bugging me... how on earth did you get Peach's crown to stay on so well? I don't see any wire or string, and that seems like the logical route.

Thanks in advance.

pure_awesome
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  binkx on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:03 pm

Mario, Luigi, and Wario all had Woochie prosthetic noses I believe. JoEllen and I would apply them and blend them with Ben Nye concealers then powder them to set them. Wario has more of a pink/drunk times nose so he got the concealer + some pink stippling to make it look a little pox-ish or like he had been drinking. He also had little Spock ears but those didn't need much work and were kind of hard to see with the wig and hat anyway. A fun little tid bit that always makes me laugh (because I am an insufferable dork) is that Kyle (Wario) does the English dub voice of Kiba from Naruto. The wig he uses for Wario happens to be the wig I use for Kiba cosplay.
As for the Peach Crown, it was made by Matt I believe but I added the jewels and the paint (I think? We made a lot of props...) and we seriously just glued that sucker to her sweatshirt. Incognito Peach totally has my white sunglasses too I think...still. When we were finished shooting everything with the hoodie, the crown was peeled off and from that point on we just pinned it very tightly into the wig. The good thing with filming is you stand by to make sure things stay where they are supposed to stay. Smile

Glad everyone likes our work so far! I'll be around if you guys have more questions!
-Diana

binkx
Nana, The Ice Climber

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerdy on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:06 pm

binkx wrote:
As for the Peach Crown, it was made by Matt I believe but I added the jewels and the paint (I think? We made a lot of props...) and we seriously just glued that sucker to her sweatshirt. Incognito Peach totally has my white sunglasses too I think...still. When we were finished shooting everything with the hoodie, the crown was peeled off and from that point on we just pinned it very tightly into the wig. The good thing with filming is you stand by to make sure things stay where they are supposed to stay. Smile

Glad everyone likes our work so far! I'll be around if you guys have more questions!
-Diana

The crown on top of the sweatshirt is one of my favorite parts...I don't know why...

Nerdy
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ghostofthevoid on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:43 pm

I give you serious props regarding the Kirby puppet. You see what I did there?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to venture forth and ask questions about unseen characters, but... Do you have any plans yet for Bowser and Ganondorf's costumes? The Ice Climbers', Luigi's and Wario's have thus far been amazing.

ghostofthevoid
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:07 am

Yeah, the creepiness of Nana and skuzziness of Wario are some of the things that made the show for me.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  binkx on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:36 am

ghostofthevoid wrote:I give you serious props regarding the Kirby puppet. You see what I did there?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to venture forth and ask questions about unseen characters, but... Do you have any plans yet for Bowser and Ganondorf's costumes? The Ice Climbers', Luigi's and Wario's have thus far been amazing.

Yes, we do have plans. No, I can't talk about it. Sorry. silent

binkx
Nana, The Ice Climber

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:45 am

HA! You've given away Bowser's and Ganondorf's eventual appearances! YUS!

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Exulting Bystander on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:35 am

The make-up and costumes are SUPER awesome! Down to the details, like the dark eye shadow for Luigi & Mario and Wario, these pure white gloves that look so out-of-place in that dark world, ...

I wonder whether Princess Peach could be even more awesome? She certainly looks trashy by intention, but IMHO it's slightly too dull/bleak, not quite reflecting her former glory or current importance for the story (she is the one who goes to Kirby, after all). Exaggerating, she looks like a drug addict while I think she should look like a drug dealer. Not sure what to do, how about trying pink eye shadow instead of dark one, and experimenting with lipstick or red cheeks?

But that's just one of these minor details for perfecting perfection, I want to watch the next episode! cyclopscyclops

Exulting Bystander
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ghostofthevoid on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:00 pm

binkx wrote:
ghostofthevoid wrote:I give you serious props regarding the Kirby puppet. You see what I did there?

Yes, we do have plans. No, I can't talk about it. Sorry. silent
Worth a shot. ^.^

ghostofthevoid
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  binkx on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Exulting Bystander wrote:The make-up and costumes are SUPER awesome! Down to the details, like the dark eye shadow for Luigi & Mario and Wario, these pure white gloves that look so out-of-place in that dark world, ...

I wonder whether Princess Peach could be even more awesome? She certainly looks trashy by intention, but IMHO it's slightly too dull/bleak, not quite reflecting her former glory or current importance for the story (she is the one who goes to Kirby, after all). Exaggerating, she looks like a drug addict while I think she should look like a drug dealer. Not sure what to do, how about trying pink eye shadow instead of dark one, and experimenting with lipstick or red cheeks?

But that's just one of these minor details for perfecting perfection, I want to watch the next episode! cyclopscyclops

The Peach costume was meant to be very simple- when you see the next episode you will understand. A lot of the costumes have been reduced because they have been 'modernized' or just 'militarized'. It's supposed to be a shadow of how things were. That and making a full on Princess Peach would have been damn expensive and we had a very strict budget. If people are interested in seeing the concept sketches, please PM myself and Matt and we can see about adding them and possibly some story boards to a gallery.

As for her make up, making Cat, an olive skinned brunette, blonde was a challenge in and of it's self. However, the main goal of Peach was to have this innocence that has been shattered and then sloppily re-constructed. She's always trying to fix and never quite managing it while everything crumbles around her. Heavy make up wouldn't have suited that and I think you will agree when more episodes come up.
Thanks for the input tho! I love hearing what other people think and their feelings on our work! Wink

binkx
Nana, The Ice Climber

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobs on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:30 pm

I loved the costumes and everything in this. The big noses on the mario bros, Peach's crown, and most of all Nana's unibrow. Its awesome. I love the whole realistic approach you have going with this whole thing; it really shows how downhill everything has gone.

Keep up the good work. Very Happy

Dobs
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile http://smashbrosfan.proboards81.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:16 pm

You know, it wouldn't be such a stretch to have Cat playing a scene as Princess Daisy as well. And it would require a lot less makeup, probably.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  binkx on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:19 am

Gorblax wrote:You know, it wouldn't be such a stretch to have Cat playing a scene as Princess Daisy as well. And it would require a lot less makeup, probably.
Nope, it probably wouldn't. Rolling Eyes

binkx
Nana, The Ice Climber

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:24 am

What, be a stretch, or require less makeup? Nice new avatar, by the way.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonas on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Regarding Bowser:
Please don't make him another Dennis Hopper Razz
Well, what we've seen so far has been great, so I'm sure you will make Bowser look great Smile

Jonas
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:01 am

I think a little visual Dennis Hopper reference would be hilarious, personally.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  binkx on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:48 pm

Gorblax wrote:What, be a stretch, or require less makeup? Nice new avatar, by the way.
It wouldn't be a stretch. We'll see.

As for D.Hopper...I don't think that is at all the direction we will be going. In fact, NO, we will net be going that direction at all.
Also, thanks!
(<3 my icon)

binkx
Nana, The Ice Climber

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:02 pm

I do not envy you if you have to come up with a way to put together Fox, Falco, and Wolf costumes. Those are going to be a bitch, no doubt. Maybe a stop by your local Furry outlet can speed things up... *shiver* actually, forget I said anything.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sayain_zubas on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:03 pm

Gorblax wrote:I do not envy you if you have to come up with a way to put together Fox, Falco, and Wolf costumes. Those are going to be a bitch, no doubt. Maybe a stop by your local Furry outlet can speed things up... *shiver* actually, forget I said anything.

i lol'd Razz

sayain_zubas
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:41 pm

Oh, I think you spelled "Saiyan" wrong. Or was that on purpose I'm never able to tell on the internets.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top