Most overrated games

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Most overrated games

Post  jumpingwhitebean on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:04 pm

For me its FFVII, sure its a good game and a fun one. But does not need as much hype as it gets. It has no likable characters it has cool characters but none that are actually developed. Apart from Sephiroth who was actually the only character to have any sort of personality.

jumpingwhitebean
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/jumpingwhitebean

Back to top Go down

Re: Most overrated games

Post  Eiron on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Halo. Definitely.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Eiron wrote:Halo. Definitely.

THANK YOU!

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:10 pm

I agree.

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:11 pm

I agree with both.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serras-Kai on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:26 am

Halo
Okay, let me start by saying Halo isn't actually by any stretch of the imagination really bad. It's just meh. The whole thing is just- meh. It's playable and in some points of both multiplayer and single you may catch yourself having fun, but really, in the end, it won't last. The whole thing just kinda runs together, and becomes one huge blah fest. I will admit Halo did one thing right: it was released at the right time for the industry.

Final Fantasy VII
The big deal I have here is that I don't like most RPGs. Yeah, I said it. I'll play some, but most Final Fantasys I steer clear of. I love the story, I love the characters (who are stereotypes, but even still, I find appeal in them) and I love the setting, but the game itself isn't my sort of schtick. Even the things I like aren't great.

Gears of War
I'm sorry, really.
I'll start by saying I absolutely love the gameplay.
But everything else in this game I absolutely loathe. The characters, the story, everyone and everything in this game is just so mediocre that the entire game become boring and predictable.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time
Yeah. I said it.
Why, you ask?
It's not because it's a bad game. In fact, it's the best on this list so far. The only one that I beat because I actually enjoyed it, not because I wanted a solid opinion of it before I bashed it. It's here because I don't think it's the best Zelda game so far, like everyone else seems too. It's fun, yeah- the first 3D zelda! That's a big deal. But everything it did has been done since-most of it, better.
It's a great game (9/10, for sure) but I just feel it's been outdone.

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:43 am

I agree with everything here, and would like to throw in mass effect. To me this was a game with terrible controls, a terrible level up system, and contained average RPG elements. It was, to me one, of the most boring games ever.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:34 am

Halo, Gears of War, Fallout and Call Of Duty for me ^^ Fallout just got real dull at the halfway point, Call of Duty never got my interest, Think Gears of War has ass controls etc.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:48 am

I think you guys said all of them... or most of them. Halo was the first that came to mind when I saw this thread and I would agree with the otjers listed.

For me, I think New Super Mario Bros. for the DS is overrated. I bought it, and it was fun, but when I beat it, it just didn't seem that great of a Mario game. I figured I'd just play the GBA port of Super Mario World if I ever wanted to play a portable Mario game and I returned New Super Mario Bros. No regrets. What brings it up as being overrated, is that when the guys at IGN were talking about the upcoming one for Wii in podcasts (Game Scoop, NVC, ect.) some would comment how great the DS one was or how much they loved it (cant say for all if everyone there liked it, mind you), but I just it was that great.

I also think Assassin's Creed is way overrated. When it came out a couple years or whatever ago, the guys I knew that are 360 ravers were praising and hyping that game, but then I played it on a friend's PS3 and it looked cool (it has a neat concept to it honestly), but missions seemed repetitive and some boring.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:05 am

Assassins Creed, thank you SmashBro, I forgot ^^ what a drag that game was...99/100 in the dutch game magazine, what a shit.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpingwhitebean on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:44 am

smashbro wrote:I think you guys said all of them... or most of them. Halo was the first that came to mind when I saw this thread and I would agree with the otjers listed.

For me, I think New Super Mario Bros. for the DS is overrated. I bought it, and it was fun, but when I beat it, it just didn't seem that great of a Mario game. I figured I'd just play the GBA port of Super Mario World if I ever wanted to play a portable Mario game and I returned New Super Mario Bros. No regrets. What brings it up as being overrated, is that when the guys at IGN were talking about the upcoming one for Wii in podcasts (Game Scoop, NVC, ect.) some would comment how great the DS one was or how much they loved it (cant say for all if everyone there liked it, mind you), but I just it was that great.

I also think Assassin's Creed is way overrated. When it came out a couple years or whatever ago, the guys I knew that are 360 ravers were praising and hyping that game, but then I played it on a friend's PS3 and it looked cool (it has a neat concept to it honestly), but missions seemed repetitive and some boring.
AC got boring for me almost instantly it was so repetitive and boring. RE5 was also way overhyped and it just turned out to be a knock off of RE4. I never rely on hype to tell me if a game is good or not.

jumpingwhitebean
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/jumpingwhitebean

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:26 am

I kinda agree with Serras about OoT too.

Also, bean, don't forget that overhyping and overrating are different stuff. When concerning hype, I'd imediately say "Spider-Man: Web of Shadows"...

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 pm

Avalanche91 wrote:Assassins Creed, thank you SmashBro, I forgot ^^ what a drag that game was...99/100 in the dutch game magazine, what a shit.
X-Play and G4 raved about AC too. IGN got it right with that game though.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MENTOK the MINDTAKER on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:56 pm

SurgePox wrote:I agree with everything here, and would like to throw in mass effect. To me this was a game with terrible controls, a terrible level up system, and contained average RPG elements. It was, to me one, of the most boring games ever.

In all honesty I didn't mind playing Mass Effect... that is until I got to the sixth random generic planet to explore an otherwise barren and unaccelerating landscape, I played through it twice... no... four times (twice with guy n girl character) mainly to get the achievements (and murderlize anything that popped it's head up since my characters were still uber) but eventually I just couldn't be bothered finishing it... AGAIN, then I downloaded that extra mission off xbl.. loaded Mass Effect months later, realised I only had a save file at the final mission and would have to start all over again to find said downloaded mission. Short thought "... screw that".

So I've no idea if that mission that set me back some 600 m.points was any good, some games you just play to death and never look back. Also, anyone else sympathise with me that first person shooters just aren't that good without a jump button, even if you can't jump high or over anything?

MENTOK the MINDTAKER
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Doom didn't have a jump button & it rocked! XD 'You found a Chainsaw, time to find some meat!' Other than that though, yeah, you do kind of have a point about the jumping thing.....

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:32 am

MENTOK the MINDTAKER wrote:
SurgePox wrote:I agree with everything here, and would like to throw in mass effect. To me this was a game with terrible controls, a terrible level up system, and contained average RPG elements. It was, to me one, of the most boring games ever.

In all honesty I didn't mind playing Mass Effect... that is until I got to the sixth random generic planet to explore an otherwise barren and unaccelerating landscape, I played through it twice... no... four times (twice with guy n girl character) mainly to get the achievements (and murderlize anything that popped it's head up since my characters were still uber) but eventually I just couldn't be bothered finishing it... AGAIN, then I downloaded that extra mission off xbl.. loaded Mass Effect months later, realised I only had a save file at the final mission and would have to start all over again to find said downloaded mission. Short thought "... screw that".

So I've no idea if that mission that set me back some 600 m.points was any good, some games you just play to death and never look back. Also, anyone else sympathise with me that first person shooters just aren't that good without a jump button, even if you can't jump high or over anything?

I agree its overrated, but its by no means bad. The Graphics are real nice (never thought my pc could handle that), and the characters are diverse. It just starts up reeeaaal slowly and fight sequences never got intense (died a total of 1 time cause of a surprise worm attack)

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Melee.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:05 am

Bring on the fanboy hate.
Golden Sun. I didn't play the game when it first came out, or even until recently. I didn't even know of it until all of the raging fanboys on the GFAQs Brawl boards were obsessing with Isacc. My friend who is a GS fanboy himself got it for me, and let me tell you, it was not good. At all. The main characters are unlikable, the difficulty curve is insane, and the plot has too many holes, yet everyone seems to love it.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kore on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:12 am

Minby_Aran wrote:Bring on the fanboy hate.
Golden Sun. I didn't play the game when it first came out, or even until recently. I didn't even know of it until all of the raging fanboys on the GFAQs Brawl boards were obsessing with Isacc. My friend who is a GS fanboy himself got it for me, and let me tell you, it was not good. At all. The main characters are unlikable, the difficulty curve is insane, and the plot has too many holes, yet everyone seems to love it.

Whats a golden sun?

Anyways I would have to say Lair, for the PS3. All PS3 owners(not me) where excited for this game. But it sucked, it was filled with bad controls and lousy gameplay.

Kore
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:16 am

Kore wrote:
Minby_Aran wrote:Bring on the fanboy hate.

Whats a golden sun?

Anyways I would have to say Lair, for the PS3. All PS3 owners(not me) where excited for this game. But it sucked, it was filled with bad controls and lousy gameplay.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Sun
It's a pretty basic RPG, but again, bad main characters, and an insane difficulty curve really ruin the creativity put in the game.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kore on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:19 am

so...uh you gonna pick up golden sun DS Very Happy ?

Kore
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serras-Kai on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:31 pm

I'm sure he will.
He'll take it into the parking lot of his local game store and hold a ceremonial sacrifice to the gods of gaming.

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kore on Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:46 pm

Serras-Kai wrote:I'm sure he will.
He'll take it into the parking lot of his local game store and hold a ceremonial sacrifice to the gods of gaming.

Well done, spoken like a true gamer cheers

Kore
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:20 am

Excecuted perfectly.

I lol'd.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chaeley on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Hmm. Can't say I agree 100% with the VII verdict-- the game itself got hype because it deserved hype. What I didn't appreciate was the explosion of attention it got a couple of years after the fact. I paid absolutely zero attention to Advent Children and the various gratuitous spinoffs, but the game itself will always be my favorite RPG, if only because it's what introduced me to systems beyond the SNES. That and the nostalgia factor. Sad I just wish it had stayed a little more under the radar so it would have avoided the backlash that always comes from anything getting too much attention.

I do agree 100% with the Halo thing, though. Rolling Eyes

Chaeley
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top