Herr Wozzeck's Unofficial TWBB Rescoring Project

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Herr Wozzeck's Unofficial TWBB Rescoring Project

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:45 pm

Evening, everybody. One of the things I should’ve made clear at my introduction is that I’m also a composition student (although, if you looked into my profile you might know that) and stuff. So, recently inspiration stuck; what if I rescored TWBB, but instead of trying to go with the usual film scoring approach, why not write it with remixes of the themes of each character involved? And while I’m at it, why not do stuff with those themes?

Hence, this. I already e-mailed Mr. Mercer and Mr. Grafton about this, and Mr. Grafton gave me the a-okay to write music, so here we are.

So, you might ask, what might this topic be for? To keep track of stuff, of course. I do like to keep up with how I plan each thing, and since I lose track of things very, very easily…

The format for each episode? Well, there are four different approaches I can take. The first is the form on a theme format, where I set the relevant video game themes into a classical form (fugue, theme and variations, etc.) and play around with that. Usually, these will be for full orchestra, and these might be the least updated sound files due to how hard finding an orchestra can be. Same rules apply to the inventions that appear throughout the scoring, and all that. The Fantasias are all free-form and for Pierrot ensemble (For those that don’t know Pierrot Lunaire: Violin/Viola, Cello, Piano, Flute/Piccolo, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet, maybe Percussion) plus possible .MIDI playback accompanying the live instruments. These might be updated more frequently because it’s only a chamber ensemble and thus not that hard to put together. Improvisations are going to take the least effort, as I’m just going to improvise based on what I see in certain scenes of each episode and that really doesn’t require any written music.

So here I’ll list each episode as it gets released, as well as certain scenes within the episode and what I want to do with each scene. Any future episodes that may come out are not listed as this is an unofficial project and thus not really part of Mr. Mercer or Mr. Grafton’s efforts. I’ll list forms and the themes I plan to develop as well as it’s corresponding scene (in the most general terms I can, to keep it spoiler free for those just jumping onto the series) As I get each piece composed, I’ll also post a .PDF file of the score (for those of you music nerds that might possibly be out there and if you’re curious about how things are going down) and a sound file once I can get each piece recorded live. Progress on whatever I’m working on will also be posted, so keep an eye out for that. So, here we are:

Episode 1:
Radio Announcement: [Silence]
Luigi Walking around and Mario, Peach, and Luigi: Viola Improvisation 1
Luigi and Wario, Mario vs. Wario, and then Luigi and Peach: Sonata on Ashley’s Theme and the Delfino Plaza theme (just begun: taken initial timings)
Last few minutes of the episode: Fantasia 1 (50% done: [Click here for score], preparing parts)

Episode 2:
Peach in the Police Department: Invention on a Four Note Motif (derived from the Legend of Zelda Dungeon theme) (45% done: finished scoring, checked timings, preparing presentable score)
Luigi and Pokemon Trainer, and Luigi and Wario: Piano Improvisation 1
Peach with Kirby: Passacaglia on the Kirby’s Dreamland Theme
Last few minutes of the episode: Fantasia 2 (just begun: taken initial timings)

Episode 3:
Intro and At the Crime Scene: Fantasia 3 (60% done: [Click here for score], pending performance in March)
Luigi and Wario: [Silence]
Samus’ Strip Show: [I’m actually not going to rescore this bit for fairly obvious reasons]
Samus and Luigi: Fantasia 4 (50% done: [Click here for score] preparing parts)
At C. Falcon’s Club: Invention on a Tempo (Quarter Note = 128 [Tempo of the Techno Music already used in this scene])

Episode 4:
Luigi’s Dream: Viola Improvisation 2 (95% done (awaiting feedback from readers))
Luigi and Ganondorf: Invention on a Rhythm (Triplet 8th Notes) (45% complete: finished scoring, checked timings, preparing presentable score Note: There are seven measures of the invention written as an introduction to the fugue; consider that your preview for this part of the score before I start conceiving it.)
The Alley Scene: Double Fugue on StarFox and Fire Emblem main themes (COMPLETE![Click here for score][Click here for sound file])

Episode 5:
Luigi and Olimar: Piano Improvisation 2 (95% done (awaiting feedback from readers))
Luigi and Ganondorf: Fantasia 5 (60% done: [Click here for score], pending performance in March)
At Dedede’s Bar: Theme and Variations on the Fountain of Dreams (Melee) Theme [with bits of the Donkey Kong Hammer theme thrown in] (60% done [Click here for score]; parts submitted, pending performance in March)

Episode 6:
Going Away from the Bar: Fantasia 6 (just begun: taken initial timings)
At Wario’s: Viola and Piano improvisation 1
At Lakitu’s to the end of the episode: Rondo on the Underground Theme of Super Mario Brothers

Episode 7:
The Prison: Fantasia 7 (60% done: [Click here for score], pending performance in March)
The Interrogation: Piano Improvisation 3
Luigi and Kirby to the end of the episode: Invention on an Ostinato (Moto Perpetuo) (just begun: taken initial timings)

Episode 8:
Peach, Luigi, and Link before the MK's meltdown: Viola Improvisation 3
Any scenes of Mario and Yoshi in Sepia Tone: [Silence]
Fight interrupted by Zelda: Fantasia 8
Mario, Fox, and the Master Hand Cult: Chacconne on the Wistful Wild theme
Final Minutes of the Episode: [silence]

Episode 9:
Luigi, Ganondorf, and everyone else: Viola and Piano Improvisation 2
Luigi and Bowser: Canon on the Mario 64 Bowser theme.
Last Minutes of the episode before PT's Funeral: Fantasia 9

Episode 10:
The Montage: Piano Improvisation 4
The Brawl/The Confrontation with Ganondorf: Grand Fantasia (All forces involved. Somehow.)
The Reveal: Canon on Mario 64 Bowser theme (continued from where it left off in Episode 9)
Flashback and End of the Series: Invention on a Timber (Strings) (Just begun: taken initial timings)

Last edited by Herr Wozzeck on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:58 pm; edited 35 times in total

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Herr Wozzeck's Unofficial TWBB Rescoring Project

Post  Entlassen on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:51 pm

I like the idea, but the notion of combining MIDI and chamber music strikes me as conflicting for SSBB setting, as strange as that sounds. Personally, I think it would sound a lot better to have chamber music combined with sampling and modern electronic music (forgive my lack of musical terminology, it's not exactly my field).

I'm not saying MIDI can't be combined with real instruments, it just may impair the faux-seriousness of SSBB. But maybe that's just me.

Entlassen
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Entlassen wrote:I like the idea, but the notion of combining MIDI and chamber music strikes me as conflicting for SSBB setting, as strange as that sounds. Personally, I think it would sound a lot better to have chamber music combined with sampling and modern electronic music (forgive my lack of musical terminology, it's not exactly my field).

I'm not saying MIDI can't be combined with real instruments, it just may impair the faux-seriousness of SSBB. But maybe that's just me.
It's not finalized as of yet that I'll actually do that, however. It's still partially in the works right now what I hope to do with the Fantasias and whatnot, mostly because they're freeform in nature and will probably be the hardest pieces in the TWBB rescoring to write while keeping appropriate timings in mind. So I may or may not do it is all I'm saying. Hell, I could try doing the Kraanerg approach where I have instruments play a prerecorded track that's been distorted beyond much recognition during recording, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I'll edit the initial post as I see fit once I have.

Plus, I think the contrast between live instrument and synthesized instrument could be used to great effect to highlight the duality of certain situations (Fantasias 3 and 5 come to mind, for example).

But opinions are highly welcome, and I thank you for putting in your two cents. Smile

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Sounds awesome. I myself composed a couple pieces a while back , just renditions on piano, but sadly the only program I have available (free, btw) shoots down the quality and limits room for creativity.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:06 pm

Although my music knowledge is limited to a single music appreciation class in high school, as near as I can tell this is a rad idea. I look forward to hearing some badass composition.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:03 am

Okay, so it's barely a week since I've posted this, and already I have a few tracks I feel like sampling.

So, yeah, I recorded some improvisations for this week (should've mentioned they're easy to make considering I don't actually have to write any music for them.). Mainly it was the Luigi and Olimar scene (of which I took two takes on the piano at my house) and the Luigi's Dream sequence (of which I took four takes while standing in front of the computer. Quite a bit of white noise came in on some of the takes, though, and I know for a fact that the third take is unuseable. Neutral )

So yeah, here's where you get to give me some feedback. I'll present you with the improvisation takes that are both useable and I'm happiest with, and if you don't like them I'll show another one till we get one we're both happy with. And if that doesn't work, I can always do a couple extra takes.

So, yeah, here's the tracks that I'm happiest with:

Piano Improvisation 2 (from my second take; if you want to listen along with the episode, it's cued with a few seconds of silence to let the Escapist logo and disclaimer go by)
Viola Improvisation 2 (from my second take; just like the Piano Improvisation above, it's cued with the few seconds of silence to let the Escapist logo and disclaimer go by.)

If you guys want to hear any of the other takes I took (except for the third take of the viola improvisation since the amount of white noise in that does not warrant being posted in the topic), then go ahead and ask!

EDIT: I've actually very recently just made up my mind on what I want some of my fantasias to be scored for, what with registration for a little concert session with one of the ensembles in residence at my school. I know that at least one of my Fantasias will now be scored for Cimbalom, Violin, Flute, and Clarinet. Actually, I might score two Fantasias if I can get away with a second fantasia scoring within a ten-minute time constraint. We'll see what goes down with that. For now, expect a sound file for at least one Fanasia by early/mid March

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm not really sure what to say about the Piano Improvisation 2. Honestly, it kinda felt like it was more of free time dabble (for lack of a better word) on the piano rather than an actual piece. Like there wasn't really anything that caught my ear to grab my attention until you brought in the recognizable melody from the Zelga games, but then it seemed like you abandoned that. Maybe there's just something to it I'm not picking up on. I did kinda like the strumming of the strings though and the ending with the crescendo of the bass.

As for the Viola Improvisation, I really don't feel that much different. They just like, to me, that they're lacking something. There just doesn't seem like they have anything anything that would make me come back to listen to them again. IMO, they need s catchy rhythm or melody and maybe no so long of periods of rest. Sorry if any criticism seemed harsh.

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:14 pm

smashbro wrote:I'm not really sure what to say about the Piano Improvisation 2. Honestly, it kinda felt like it was more of free time dabble (for lack of a better word) on the piano rather than an actual piece. Like there wasn't really anything that caught my ear to grab my attention until you brought in the recognizable melody from the Zelga games, but then it seemed like you abandoned that. Maybe there's just something to it I'm not picking up on. I did kinda like the strumming of the strings though and the ending with the crescendo of the bass.

As for the Viola Improvisation, I really don't feel that much different. They just like, to me, that they're lacking something. There just doesn't seem like they have anything anything that would make me come back to listen to them again. IMO, they need s catchy rhythm or melody and maybe no so long of periods of rest. Sorry if any criticism seemed harsh.
Did you try listening to the tracks and the episode simultaneously? If not, then try listening to the track with the episode running; it needs to be put in context first, mainly because I'm just building off of the material I see. Otherwise, it's not that big a deal, really; I can re-record it whenever what with it being summer and all. If I end up re-recording this, I really need to remember to jot down themes that I should use first... ^^;

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, though. And yeah, pianists can learn a thing or two from Henry Cowell, that's for sure. Laughing

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:24 pm

I don't even know which episode to cue them in with. I think you hinted at them though, but needs more clarity.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:33 pm

smashbro wrote:I don't even know which episode to cue them in with. I think you hinted at them though, but needs more clarity.
Ah, pardon me for that. (Seriously, I need to start being more clear with those things. I'm a bit of an idiot like that.)

So, the Viola Improvisation is for Episode 4, and the Piano Improvisation is for Episode 5. Keep in mind that each track starts with the seven or so seconds of silence where I just let the Escapist Logo and the Disclaimer run, so you're probably best off trying to get as close to starting the episode and the track simultaneously as you can.

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:39 pm

I suppose it works better with the music going along to the episode. The downer with it though is that you have to turn off the episode volume otherwise the it has to compete with the Edge of Space piece, which is a personal favorite of mine.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:45 pm

smashbro wrote:I suppose it works better with the music going along to the episode. The downer with it though is that you have to turn off the episode volume otherwise the it has to compete with the Edge of Space piece, which is a personal favorite of mine.
Yeah, I think that will always be a problem with things like this when you don't edit in the sound file first. Still, I might go back and re-record this, if only because of the reasons you mentioned earlier above the topic.

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Yeah criticisms aside, keep it up. What you're doing is pretty cool.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Meta Knight on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:59 pm

I don't think too many ears are quite prepared for just listening to the 20th Century style you're composing in. I think all comments here come with the "grain of salt" being "I'm used to video game music". So hearing something along the lines of Phillip Glass or John Cage put to TWBB will produce some interesting responses.

I myself am a composer. I try to at least have some sort of tonal consistency in my music. To each his own, right? heh

The one problem I have with the clips is that I have to let them completely play through once before I can watch the movie with the music. For some reason buffering is a major issue.

I finally watched one of the improvisations, and I think it's a little too unstructured. If maybe a certain technique was used over and over again to depict a certain tension, maybe it'd feel a bit more fitting to what's going on in the scene. With that said, there *were* a good number of portions that fit the scene rather well... it's an improvisation so I can't really say "This was right, this was wrong". Rolling Eyes
I listened to the piano recording, and I agree with the comments that throwing the Zelda motif in there was a bit random. Neutral

I'm interested to see what the rest is like. Keep it goin!

The Meta Knight
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:36 pm

The Meta Knight wrote:I don't think too many ears are quite prepared for just listening to the 20th Century style you're composing in. I think all comments here come with the "grain of salt" being "I'm used to video game music". So hearing something along the lines of Phillip Glass or John Cage put to TWBB will produce some interesting responses.

I myself am a composer. I try to at least have some sort of tonal consistency in my music. To each his own, right? heh
Replace "Phillip Glass or John Cage" with "Edgard Varése and the Second Viennese School" and you've pretty much gotten some of my musical ideas. Razz

But yeah, listening to video game themes get put in an atonal context should be pretty interesting. And sometimes it will get absolutely crazy depending on the form I'm working with-- just wait until I get to my theme and variations on the Melee Dream Fountain theme!

I finally watched one of the improvisations, and I think it's a little too unstructured. If maybe a certain technique was used over and over again to depict a certain tension, maybe it'd feel a bit more fitting to what's going on in the scene. With that said, there *were* a good number of portions that fit the scene rather well... it's an improvisation so I can't really say "This was right, this was wrong". Rolling Eyes
I listened to the piano recording, and I agree with the comments that throwing the Zelda motif in there was a bit random. Neutral

I'm interested to see what the rest is like. Keep it goin!
Again, I need to actually write themes down before I improvise, so that might be a problem. That said, I'm not too familiar with Pikmin music as I rarely ever play on the Pikmin stage in Brawl. I've got quite an ear, though, so if I hear the same theme over and over again I might be able to transcribe it.

And thanks! With any luck, we should have some actual written music posted in the thread by the end of the week. I'll also see what I can do about re-recording my improvisations (this time with Mario and Pikmin themes silent), and we'll have a good time I hope.

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:59 am

Apologies for the double post, but I'm sure you'll forgive me in a second, as I have new content! Very Happy

So, Here's what's come of my rerecordings of my improvisations:
Take two of the Viola Improvisation
And Take two of the Piano Improvisation

So if you want to listen along, be careful; I started recording when the disclaimer came up as opposed to syncing it up right from the beginning. So when the disclaimer comes up, that's when you start playing the sound file. And apologies in advance if you have to turn the volume down on the episode itself.

But that's not all.

Once, super recently, the Lord said, 'let there be written music'. And it was so. That's the Fugue on Starfox and Fire Emblem themes that coincides with the alley scene of Episode 4. And this is a transposing score; if you're not a musician, then ask and I'll try to explain (I can't promise anything, though; I generally suck at explaining music-related terms to non-musicians) Look out for a possible sound file around November/Decemberish!

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hey! Get your hands outta my cookie jar!

Post  stephen.millis on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:52 pm

He he, just kidding with you. The creative world would be pretty dull without a variety of interpretations. That's cool you have traditional instruments and the wherewithal to play and record them. I sometimes miss performing in chamber halls...then I remember that chicks dig guys with guitars, at least that was a big concern going into high school. Anyway, I listened to a little bit of what you're doing and its interesting. I'm a big fan of the avant garde myself. Keep it up!

stephen.millis
Master of Mushroom Music

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:59 pm

stephen.millis wrote:He he, just kidding with you. The creative world would be pretty dull without a variety of interpretations.
That it would be. You never can tell with these things.

And, post from the dead, why exactly?

You didn't think I had forgotten about the project with the start of school, did you? Wink

Here's some more written music. Specifically, the bar scene from Episode 5.

And good news for all those keeping track of this project; October 5th is a deadline for my school's orchestral readings, so I'll work the Starfox/Fire Emblem fugue into the readings. With any luck, I will bring some recording devices with me, so by at least November you can expect a recording.

Oh, and a little heads-up; does anybody know who originally wrote most of the themes we're experimenting with here? I tried checking, but my research has proved rather fruitless so far. If anybody has any know-how on who composed which themes, would you mind letting me know?

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HylianLink on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:30 am

stephen.millis wrote:He he, just kidding with you. The creative world would be pretty dull without a variety of interpretations. That's cool you have traditional instruments and the wherewithal to play and record them. I sometimes miss performing in chamber halls...then I remember that chicks dig guys with guitars, at least that was a big concern going into high school. Anyway, I listened to a little bit of what you're doing and its interesting. I'm a big fan of the avant garde myself. Keep it up!
Herr Wozzeck wrote:
That it would be. You never can tell with these things.

And, post from the dead, why exactly?

You didn't think I had forgotten about the project with the start of school, did you? Wink

Here's some more written music. Specifically, the bar scene from Episode 5.

And good news for all those keeping track of this project; October 5th is a deadline for my school's orchestral readings, so I'll work the Starfox/Fire Emblem fugue into the readings. With any luck, I will bring some recording devices with me, so by at least November you can expect a recording.

Oh, and a little heads-up; does anybody know who originally wrote most of the themes we're experimenting with here? I tried checking, but my research has proved rather fruitless so far. If anybody has any know-how on who composed which themes, would you mind letting me know?

OMG O. O WOW to big and really cool personality's to great's creators and compositors tallking between Tu T
OMG Tu T it´s sooo coooool

Really very awsome your work of both
really aswome
my entire congratulations
i like a lot the violonchelo, the violin, and the piano n, n
maybe because i'm vocalist of a lot of kind's of music n, n
but that dosnt mater you guy's are the law.....

cheers Wink

HylianLink
Corrupt Officer

View user profile http://www.metroflog.com/hylianlink

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:42 am

Herr Wozzeck i am quite stuned at your ability. Great job!

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HylianLink on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:15 am

Herr Wozzeck wrote:

yeap, of course dont worry if i know something i let you know

HylianLink
Corrupt Officer

View user profile http://www.metroflog.com/hylianlink

Back to top Go down

Post  Intactus on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:05 pm

and here I thought this thread would be "This song by [insert popular band here] would fit as luigi's theme!"

I'm happy to see it is something much, MUCH better.

Do you use any midi programs to test the music? I would recommend Guitar Pro, my brother uses it to write for our band.

Now, I'm just vocals in the band so I can't lend my talent to this unfortunately.

Intactus
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:27 pm

Intactus wrote:and here I thought this thread would be "This song by [insert popular band here] would fit as luigi's theme!"

I'm happy to see it is something much, MUCH better.
Lucky for you, I don't even know most popular bands of today. Thus, I can't really be that much of a hack. That said, it will take a long time to get everything written up, so I expect not to finish this project for a while.

Do you use any midi programs to test the music? I would recommend Guitar Pro, my brother uses it to write for our band.

Now, I'm just vocals in the band so I can't lend my talent to this unfortunately.
Actually, since I am being classically trained, I use Finale 2008 to notate all of my music. And since that program has a playback option where you can hear what you wrote (albeit with awful orchestral balance), then I do use midi programs to test the waters. Best part is, I can go right back to the score and change things if I'm not too happy with what I wrote.

But hey, you know that people have been writing classical music for rock instruments, right? Even as parts of the classical orchestra, and yes, even treatments by serious composers. Check out the electric guitar part in Gruppen, for instance. (Note: You actually can see the guitar being played at 1:14) So if you guys can read sheet music that doesn't have chords every other measure, I'd be more than happy to write a fantasia for you guys!

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:30 pm

Herr Wozzeck wrote:Actually, since I am being classically trained, I use Finale 2008 to notate all of my music. And since that program has a playback option where you can hear what you wrote (albeit with awful orchestral balance), then I do use midi programs to test the waters. Best part is, I can go right back to the score and change things if I'm not too happy with what I wrote.
I'm not classically trained, but I use the same software (same version too) because it's awesome like that. Playback feature is nice, but doesn't work great with all instruments. Though I mainly use it for piano and making stuff up whenever I feel like it.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Wozzeck on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:39 pm

smashbro wrote:
Herr Wozzeck wrote:Actually, since I am being classically trained, I use Finale 2008 to notate all of my music. And since that program has a playback option where you can hear what you wrote (albeit with awful orchestral balance), then I do use midi programs to test the waters. Best part is, I can go right back to the score and change things if I'm not too happy with what I wrote.
I'm not classically trained, but I use the same software (same version too) because it's awesome like that. Playback feature is nice, but doesn't work great with all instruments. Though I mainly use it for piano and making stuff up whenever I feel like it.
Yeah, Finale's a great program for all people that write music, not just people like myself. It's got a lot of useful features like Playback, but also that I can have multiple key signatures going and that I can basically mess around with how the score looks to my heart's content. (Like I did with the hammer theme in the latest score.)

And yeah, playback has major issues with percussion...

Herr Wozzeck
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:17 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top