Post your tattoos

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post your tattoos

Post  sick of sickness on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:27 pm

I just got mine finished, (less than a month ago), and its my first, so I am still happy to show it off. So show yours! Note: This was taken after the 2nd session, but I also JUST had a final touch-up session. During that he improved the shading and shadowing on the log slightly. He also added a very faint blue-ish line under the log, which gives the bark underwater some texture. While these changes are not reflected in the pics, its not THAT dramatic of a difference. I got it done at Sacred Tattoo on Canal St in NYC. If interested, I can send you some gigantic images taken with the owners iphone.

Last edited by sick of sickness on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Post your tattoos

Post  SurgePox on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:29 pm

That's rad as hell, bro.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:45 pm

I think I like the moon the best/

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks you two.

Smashbro, yeah it came out well. Most people comment on the log. I wasn't going for photorealism but nothing too exaggerated either. I told the artist exactly what I wanted but left alot of room for artistic interpretation, because I figured he would think of things I hadn't considered. And boy George, he did! Theres alot of subtle elements he added that really pull it together, ie: the half-underwater log with the cross section showing, the bubbles, the cosmic dust...

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:57 pm

The log reminds me of the logs on Splash Mountain at Disney Land.

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:06 pm

smashbro wrote:The log reminds me of the logs on Splash Mountain at Disney Land.

hnm, i hadnt heard that one before. Heres a bigger pic to maybe change your mind. Ill link so I dont whore the page with the photo:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg158/rasselas/tattoo2.jpg

(there are 3, just change the file name for tattoo1.jpg & tattoo3.jpg for the others)

I kind of feel that photo-realism in a tattoo is very hit and miss. The more realistic a tattoo is, the more noticeable an error or something stands out. So since the idea is abstract anyway, and I liked his style the end part of the description is "and there is a log thrashing around in the waves" but I told him to be creative, and of course he sketched it out first and I loved what he did. It is slightly whimsical, but man...nobody has compared it to Splash Mountain before.

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:20 am

Just curious, but does the tattoo represent or mean anything?

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:34 am

smashbro wrote:Just curious, but does the tattoo represent or mean anything?

Yes, very much so. I can give you the short or long explanation, but since I don't know if you are a man of brevity or not, here is the short:

Overall it means about 3 things:

-Remember to accept things for what they are, as I have a very difficult time with this
-Its a statement about being perpetually overwhelmed
-Despite all I have been through, and all the thrashing around I have endured, I have remained afloat.

To throw you a bone, it was originally 2 separate ideas I had before getting it that I realized could be combined with the tying theme of water. Each idea was INSPIRED, BUT NOT DIRECTLY LIFTED from songs by the musician Mount Eerie (aka The Microphones). The songs were
"2 Moons" & "Log In The Waves". Many Many of his songs have moved me and helped me get through some impossible times, and these 2 that inspired this were monumental, but I designed the tattoo in such a way so its not directly connected to the songs.

In other words, if Phil Elverum (the musician) died and all his music disappeared and nobody knew who he was, the tattoo could still exist and have just as much meaning. Its not like im getting the Radiohead logo tattooed to me....I took an idea and let it evolve into its own thing. Alot of people have done tattoos of his work including lyrics, album covers, album titles (ie: NO FLASHLIGHT, which was an epic album about finding your way out of the woods at night; both literally and metaphorically), and normally that stuff freaks him out. But he really was floored by this when I showed him.

This is still the short answer...so yes, I wouldnt have done it if it wasnt meaningful. Ive wanted a tattoo since I was 12 and wanted this design for like 2 or 3 years. I just wanted to make sure it was original, meaningful, and well done...so I paid good money for it. I waited rather than a cheap-o splurge at Ray's Tats & Piercing...I went to a quality place. So anyone who wants a good tattoo should wait until they could find some place they love rather than settle. In the future, I plan on getting more sleevework done.

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpingwhitebean on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:33 pm

smashbro wrote:The log reminds me of the logs on Splash Mountain at Disney Land.
That's what I thought it was at first glance.

jumpingwhitebean
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/jumpingwhitebean

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:00 pm

I want a tattoo of my own face that's just the same size as my real face.

I mean, that'd be so stupid it would actually be kind of awesome.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpingwhitebean on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Spontaneous Combustion wrote:I want a tattoo of my own face that's just the same size as my real face.

I mean, that'd be so stupid it would actually be kind of awesome.
Get it slightly off center though. Just to annoy the hell out of people.

jumpingwhitebean
Dedede's Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 pm

jumpingwhitebean wrote:

But....its not an open log with seats and there arent people on it and....I....just....dont....see how you could come to that conclusion??

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpingwhitebean on Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:00 pm

sick of sickness wrote:
jumpingwhitebean wrote:

But....its not an open log with seats and there arent people on it and....I....just....dont....see how you could come to that conclusion??
At a quick glance i just saw log,water and tall thing in background. So i thought it was Splash Mountain.

jumpingwhitebean
Dedede's Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:48 pm

jumpingwhitebean wrote:
sick of sickness wrote:
jumpingwhitebean wrote:

At a quick glance i just saw log,water and tall thing in background. So i thought it was Splash Mountain.
Pretty much that.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:36 pm

how about now? bigger views:

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down