THe Captain and his Angel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

THe Captain and his Angel

Post  magic-rhyme on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Although I watch this mostly because it is downright AWESOME! in both the film noir parody and the playing off of the gaming characters, one of the things I really appreciate about this series is the way it neatly ignores homophobia.

In the classic Maltese Falcon, the beating of Joe Cairo was played for laughs, but here, the "interrogation" of our favorite cherub was treated just the same as it was for everyone else.

Heck, Mario's love of calling Link "fairy" isn't even homophobic! It's more like someone insulting Captain Spock by calling him a damn Vulcan.

I love that the Captain and his Angel happen to be the only borderline-successful relationship in the entire series.

Anyway, it's a minor thing, but I just wanted to post how much I appreciated that the series remains true to film noir traditions while ignoring some of the homophobia (and sexism and racism) of some of the original films.

magic-rhyme
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: THe Captain and his Angel

Post  jumpingwhitebean on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:09 pm

magic-rhyme wrote:Although I watch this mostly because it is downright AWESOME! in both the film noir parody and the playing off of the gaming characters, one of the things I really appreciate about this series is the way it neatly ignores homophobia.

In the classic Maltese Falcon, the beating of Joe Cairo was played for laughs, but here, the "interrogation" of our favorite cherub was treated just the same as it was for everyone else.

Heck, Mario's love of calling Link "fairy" isn't even homophobic! It's more like someone insulting Captain Spock by calling him a damn Vulcan.

I love that the Captain and his Angel happen to be the only borderline-successful relationship in the entire series.

Anyway, it's a minor thing, but I just wanted to post how much I appreciated that the series remains true to film noir traditions while ignoring some of the homophobia (and sexism and racism) of some of the original films.
Well duh! Link is a Hyrulian and raised as a Kokiri child. Its only fitting to call him fairy.

jumpingwhitebean
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/jumpingwhitebean

Back to top Go down

Post  zach also rises on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:11 am

While we aren't as bad as Hammett and Chandler, I actually intentionally do not ignore homophobia, sexism or racism... actually, it's all wound into the world just as they are in those hard-boiled detective stories. Samus as a stripper/maybe-prostitute is one of the many film noir touches to the series (although it's also a comment on Nintendo's treatment of Samus in later games, which is why it is awesome). Ike is racist against furries, just as Mario is against Hylians. Saki and Isaac were obviously homophones (a fact which, obviously, came full circle in the end).

We don't have any comedy moments like Joe Cairo, nor does our hero ever refer to gay people as being "made of rubber" as he punches them, but I'd never want to neuter this show of these very dark societal issues... because that's what the show's about!

zach also rises
One whom tells the tales...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:34 am

Social commentary in my Nintendo parody?

It's more likely than you think!

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Teconmoon on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:12 pm

I SUPPORT FALCON AND PIT!! 8D

Teconmoon
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zach also rises on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:53 pm

zach also rises wrote:homophones

where do you buy one of these i want one

zach also rises
One whom tells the tales...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:59 pm

zach also rises wrote:
zach also rises wrote:homophones

where do you buy one of these i want one
I dunno, Sears?

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:25 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top