What's the one game that best sums up your childhood gaming experience?

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's the one game that best sums up your childhood gaming experience?

Post  Chaeley on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:20 am

I think we all have a kind of similar nostalgia that comes from remembering late nights playing impossible-to-beat NES games as a kid, or trying to play the original Gameboy under the covers with that crappy overhead light that they made for it in those days. Just something about remembering those times makes gaming now twice as fun.

Do any of you, when you look back, have one game in particular that really stands out to you as being an integral part of your childhood? Like a game that kind of made you grow in one way or another -- or like you feel that your memories of your childhood gaming experiences would be incomplete without?

For me, I think it's either the original Pilotwings for the SNES, or Castlevania IV. Rolling Eyes You guys?

Chaeley
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the one game that best sums up your childhood gaming experience?

Post  Smashy B on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:26 am

Probably Pokemon Red, Yellow, and especially Silver because I loved playing those and spending countless hours catching them all. Silver was definitely my favorite which is why i can't wait for heart Gold and Sould Silver to come out. I'll be getting Silver again. :B
Chaeley wrote:or trying to play the original Gameboy under the covers with that crappy overhead light that they made for it in those days.
That was me, totally.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chaeley on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:30 am

smashbro wrote: That was me, totally.

I don't even know how the hell I did it anymore. Maybe my eyes were better at eight or the screen was brighter back when the Gameboy system was new, but now I try to play and I get tired of moving the screen this way and that to be able to see the shapes on it before I ever get tired of playing.

Chaeley
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sonix! on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:33 am

Donkey Kong on the GB. Now that was a fun game for me.

I was never able to beat it as a kid, but nowadays it's just easy and I can enjoy playing it.

Not to mention finding the best ways to beat levels using backflipps, and handstand jumps.

Sonix!
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chaeley on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:38 am

Sonix! wrote:Donkey Kong on the GB.

I never played the gameboy version...! though I always felt kind of stupid only owning the second in the series on the SNES. Thinking of Donkey Kong always reminds me of the days that I had to rent out Dixie Kong's Quest, and of course whenever I returned it and rented it back out later my save file was always gone. -_- This of course being back in the prehistoric days where you could actually rent out SNES cartridges at video stores.

Chaeley
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:38 am

Super Mario World (SNES)

Simply because though my brother and I played all the Mario games, he is 10 years older than me, and thus we didn't have much in common. We were rather estranged, but Games was where we connected. I recently saw Kung-Fu (NES) on a top 10 list of hardest bosses, but I cant believe that. Once my brother beat Mr. X, I figured out how, and beat him every time.

I say Mario World because though we played alot of games together, I remember that one the most fondly. Furthermore, 10 years ago, I had brain surgery for a tumor. He never left my bedside for the 8 days I was in the hospital while my parents were nowhere to be found. He had the nurses bring in a SNES from the childrens ward that wasnt being used because they had playstations and such. I was 18 at the time. We played that game nonstop. Then when we got home, it took me a month to recover, and thats all we did...basically. It was a significant and permanent bonding moment for us.

Outside of that, I would have to say Police Quest II for my IBM back in the 80s. It was the first game I got super involved in, and caused me to bang aganst the keyboard in frustration so many times, my dad threatened to take my computer away. He beat the game though. I never did. Goddamn Jesse Baines.

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:42 am

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, definitely. Orland can confirm this because he played as Tails, we spent so many hours in Carnival Night zone act 2 trying to figure out how your supposed to get past that one thing behind the gate that you get locked behind. We had to use rented copies of the game, and hope that the copy had a game save with Sonic and Tails at Ice Cap or beyond it, just to get past Carnival Night because of that one spot. It irritated me to no end after I got older and actually figured out how your supposed to do it. We kept on jumping up and down on it to get it to go up high enough to go under it, but uh......yea, all you had to do was stand on it and hold up then down until it got high enough.

Oh, and Sonix, that is one of my favorite games, hehe.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:52 am

Relmitos wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, definitely. Orland can confirm this because he played as Tails, we spent so many hours in Carnival Night zone act 2 trying to figure out how your supposed to get past that one thing behind the gate that you get locked behind. We had to use rented copies of the game, and hope that the copy had a game save with Sonic and Tails at Ice Cap or beyond it, just to get past Carnival Night because of that one spot. It irritated me to no end after I got older and actually figured out how your supposed to do it. We kept on jumping up and down on it to get it to go up high enough to go under it, but uh......yea, all you had to do was stand on it and hold up then down until it got high enough.

Oh, and Sonix, that is one of my favorite games, hehe.

Damn, I forgot about that. Okay, scratch my previous answer, I have 2 to add...no 3

Road Rash, Sonic and Sonic 2, and Super Hang-on for Genesis.

I played the hell out of those games. The Sonic games because I only had one friend growing up and when I slept over at his house, or his at mine, we would stay up all night and just play those games...for like 15 hours straight. Then lunch. Then another few hours.

Road Rash just because it was fun and same with super hang on...but theres a hidden reason:

My dad may not be the best dad, but hes a fucking genius...in physics, chemistry, engineering, whatever. He is brilliant. He used to ride motorcyles and had a small one seater that was 5 feet long...a racing bike. He destroyed the engine somehow, but didnt want to scrap it.

He spent a few months tinkering with it, and brought it into the living room...he hooked up the controls of the bike to the Genesis. The ignition turned on the game, the kickstarter turned on the TV. The throttle and brake worked like they would and the wheel turned the motorcycles in the game. It worked on any game but was designed for motorcycle games. He even mounted a controller to the gauge cluster and put on a reset button on the size....

No, it didnt lean. It was mounted on a steel plate with the rear wheel pinned down, putting the bike in a slight powerlift position. It wasnt a wheelie. The front wheel was a few inches off the ground. It worked but after several years, we stopped using it. But I spent several hours a day on it for a while.

Last edited by sick of sickness on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:55 am

oh WOW, that is awesome! I would've loved to have an actual motorcycle as a controller, that is beyond epic.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:58 am

Relmitos wrote:oh WOW, that is awesome! I would've loved to have an actual motorcycle as a controller, that is beyond epic.

Yeah, sadly this is the days before the internet and digital photography, and I will ask my dad if he has any scanned images, though its doubtful.

If so, Ill upload whatever he gives me.

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:31 am

I probably couldn't sum it all up to a single game, but I remember as a kid the Nintendo 64 was the most unfathomably awesome thing ever. That's gonna be my final answer.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:34 am

Respectable. Hehe, I remember SSB64. I got home from school one day and Orland was playing it, brand new. After watching him play it a little, I joined in. Played through a number of matches until....UNTIL, Sector Z. It took me a really long time to figure out how to get back to the front of the ship from the back end.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:00 am

One Game? Err...

Hmm...

Wind Waker. Definately.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MENTOK the MINDTAKER on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:11 am

It all started with Mario...

I doubt it will end with him though.

MENTOK the MINDTAKER
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:15 am

Double Dragon 2: The Revenge on the NES. I have 4 brothers, we're 5 total, & all of us would play this in combinations (me with my oldest brother, me with my 2nd older brother, me with my younger brother etc. etc.) We would always get to around Act 5 with the vanishing platforms, and then lose horribly Razz But yet, week after week, we rented it from the video store (like Chaeley said, in an age when you COULD rent cartridges like that) & it just.....defined us I guess is the best way to put it. Like we were never THAT close growing up, but damn, that game brought us together & we tried to beat it. Now, I play Devil May Cry & Ninja Gaiden. Beat 'em ups rule. Cool

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:20 am

sick of sickness wrote:
Relmitos wrote:oh WOW, that is awesome! I would've loved to have an actual motorcycle as a controller, that is beyond epic.

Yeah, sadly this is the days before the internet and digital photography, and I will ask my dad if he has any scanned images, though its doubtful.

If so, Ill upload whatever he gives me.

My dad has more pics apparently. But for now, I have this one. Im about 7 or so. Playing Super Hang-On. If you didnt read the previous posts, yes, im playing the game with a real motorcycle.

All the wires run under the floor. I used to get so into the game, I had to play dress-up. The helmet actually fit me. I considered sending the pics to RetroGamer magazine...anyway...if he sends more, and you guys want, Ill post.

Last edited by sick of sickness on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:05 am

Crash Bandicoot 2, 3, and Team Racing, and Spyro 1, 2 and 3. Crash 2 was pretty much the very first PlayStation game I ever got, when I was 7 years old. I can remember googling walkthroughs with my mum to work out how to get the coloured gems/normal gems.
Even now, at 18, I can still spend a day with the PS1 playing any of those (specifically Crash 3 and all the Spyro games).
I was so upset when I bought Spyro on DS. Ruined my childhood memories. Well, not really, but it sucked. I think I'll have to go back.
First game I ever got was this weird 32 in 1 game (it didn't actually have 32 games, conisdering there were 3 files of Super Mario Land) on an original Game Boy, but I, too, have to admit that Pokemon played a big part in my childhood. Hell, it made a resurgance in my life recently and at 19, I'll be doing what I was doing when I was 9 - playing Pokemon Silver. =P

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Orland on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:15 am

Relm talked a lot about sonic. And while i was there and playing, I'm terrible at platformers hahaha.

My game would have to be an rpg for the ps1 called Lunar. It was the first rpg that i played by myself (the first one i actually played was FF7, but my mom played that one with me. haha.)
the feeling of accomplishment after beating it was great.

Orland
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:25 am

Legend of Zelda a link to the past

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:17 am

Banjo Tooie. frustratingly difficult as one who hardly started gaming, but so much fun.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:10 am

Super Mario World, Bomberman 64, Goldeneye 007, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64, Mario Parties 1-3, SSB 64 and Super Mario 64. Just don't ask me to choose one out of these, it's impossible.

Also, what Surge said about the N64.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:15 pm

My first console was a Game Cube so I'd say that, but that was just out of my childhood, or at least the early half of it. But Pikmin, Melee, and Wind Waker are awesome.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serras-Kai on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's island, Star Fox, Megaman X, and Crash Bandicoot all influenced my life quite a bit.

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:30 pm

Scratch that, Ape Escape.

Definately the Best game I've ever fucking played.

I feel like making an av/sig combo atm. xD

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chaeley on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:34 pm

sick of sickness wrote:
All the wires run under the floor. I used to get so into the game, I had to play dress-up. The helmet actually fit me. I considered sending the pics to RetroGamer magazine...anyway...if he sends more, and you guys want, Ill post.

DO WANT! That has got to be the most awesome thing I've ever seen. I can't even believe someone can be that brilliant.

Chaeley
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top