What's the one game that best sums up your childhood gaming experience?

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What's the one game that best sums up your childhood gaming experience?

Post  Maryssa on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:33 am

ElderOfNar wrote:I remember in 1st grade, playing SMB and pausing and shutting off the TV while I went to school. Then I would come home turn on the tv and unpause and continue the fun
Ohhh I did this on so many games. IN MY DAY YOU HAD TO BE THAT HARDCORE TO BEAT A GAME. NONE OF THIS SISSY SAVE STUFF.
< / old >

Maryssa
Rosalina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseppi on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:38 am

I'm going to have to go with Super Mario All-Stars. The one with Super Mario World that is. All of those games turned me into the nerd I am today. Mario is the reason I'm a gamer.

But if I really have to chose just one single game, I guess I'd say Super Mario World.

Joseppi
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile http://zippygamer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyJinx on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:08 am

Super Mario All-Stars, Super Smash Bros, Conker's Bad Fur Day (yeah, that's a bad thing) and Sonic Adventure 2, for me.

JonnyJinx
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arek The Absolute on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:33 am

Matti wrote:Final Fantasy 7

Either you are young, or I am really old...

Arek The Absolute
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:23 am

I'm gonna make this easy for myself and choose the first game I played: Super Mario World. Smile

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:01 pm

Arek The Absolute wrote:
Matti wrote:Final Fantasy 7

Either you are young, or I am really old...
He's just oblivious to the magnanimous(plural) classics that the square soft made before their merger with the EVIL Enix.

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MagnusXavier on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:05 am

i know it said one game but meh: sonic the hedgehog on master system, super mario world, james pond (yes its meant to say pond lol), pilotwings, banjo-kazooie, the original street fighter where you could only be ryu or ken.

MagnusXavier
Corrupt Officer

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/Hellfireclub.spidermonkey?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katorishintaro on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:42 am

I have to say my childhood gaming experience would have to be when I was in kindergarden learning how to play Mega Man 2 and Super Mario Bros 3. I absolutely fell in love with those games. They were the first games I really got into....an escape from reality.

Also I'd have to say one other moment in my gaming history would have to be when I was in 5th grade and I got the flu for a week. All I had at my house was a dusty Nintendo Entertainment System with the close flap broken off with the power button stuck in the on posistion, and a scratched up golden copy of The Legend of Zelda. *sighs* I miss having nothing to do and bombing every part of walls, burning every tree, blowing the whistle on every screen, pushing every block, and not getting tired of it.

Those are still in my favorite games of all time.

katorishintaro
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:48 am

Mine'd have to be Final Fantasy IV.

See, my older brother was into Final Fantasy and I was only 2-3 years old at the time. I'd idolize him and watch him play.

I basically learned to read REALLy early on just so I could join him. That's right, FFIV forced me to learn to read.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Innotech on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:06 am

it was a tie between Super Mario Bros 3 and Megaman 3. I spent more time playing these games than any other.

Innotech
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RolentX on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:48 am

My head says to go with Super Mario Bros, Final Fantasy 3 or Chrono Trigger.

My heart says to go with Ducktales.

Ducktales it is.

I *heart* that game.

RolentX
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Innotech on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:30 am

RolentX wrote:My head says to go with Super Mario Bros, Final Fantasy 3 or Chrono Trigger.

Ducktales it is.

I *heart* that game.

Moon
theme
for
the
fucking
WIN

Innotech
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:44 pm

This video here. It felt appropriate for this thread.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WorkshopofStupidity on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:48 pm

Super Mario 64 all the way

WorkshopofStupidity
Feral Mercenary

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/WorkshopofStupidity

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:13 pm

RolentX wrote:My head says to go with Super Mario Bros, Final Fantasy 3 or Chrono Trigger.

Ducktales it is.

I *heart* that game.

I've been wanting to play that

Also, awesome to the person who mentioned James Pond lol

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shy Guy Red on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:42 pm

Spontaneous Combustion wrote:This video here. It felt appropriate for this thread.

You need a medal for finding that.

Shy Guy Red
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheHunted on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:23 pm

When I was a wee lad I'd play Megaman 2 like every single day of my life. I had to beat it like at least 4 or 5 times a week. DK64 also played a part in my Childhood. Still never beat DK54.

TheHunted
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hiroshi Mishima on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:58 am

This is gonna be a tough question for me, mainly since I've been gaming for so long and my gaming lifestyle has had significant.. let's say "eras" for lack of a better term.

Early Years (1981-1986): I'd have to say either Choplifter or Adventure for the Atari varients of 1600/2400/3200. I used to play my Atari daily, it was like a little routine I'd fall into. Especially the two games I mentioned, as I played those constantly. It may well be Adventure that would get me into the RPG genre, but I think Adventure more or less always made me think of the adventure genre, which would become Legend of Zelda and Metroid later on...

NES Years (1987-1991): Again, it's impossible to choose just one. Megaman 2 was a good example of how I tended to really enjoy playing games by myself and MM2 was probably one of my favourites, even though I struggled a lot to beat it back in the early days of the NES. However, on the other side you had games like Double Dragon 2 and Othello. I used to play games with my mother or friends a lot back then. My mom and I loved playing Othello usually at least once a day or every couple of days. And when I had friends over we'd play games like Double Dragon 2 or Beach Volley Ball game I used to have... fun times. Although I played other games like Zelda and Metroid here, I didn't actually really get into them right away. Also this is when I first found myself playing true RPGs like Final Fantasy, although admittedly I sucked at it and never beat it on my own until I was a teenager.

SNES Years (1991-1996): This predominantly dominated by three games. Super Mario World, which I could not get enough of and often played it with friends; Super Metroid, which is my favourite in the Metroid series and I played it constantly; and Chrono Trigger, which is one of my favourite RPGs of all time and one of the first RPGs I ever beat without actually cheating at some point with a Game Genie (as I was known to do if a game was too frustrating but I liked it anyways). While Mario and Zelda and Metroid were games I devoured and played frequently, it was the RPG genre that really grabbed me here. I started playing all the RPGs I could, even if I never finished them during the SNES's lifetime. If it had experience levels and/or an epic storyline, I wanted to play it, and I wouldn't put it down until I'd finished it. It was like being given a thrilling novel that you just HAD to keep reading no matter how tired you were. I loved RPGs, I hungered for them...

PSX Years (1996-2002): Once again, RPGs would be the biggest factor in my gaming experience. I've lost count of how many I played during the PS1's reign, but it was a lot. Some were bad, some were good, others were phenomonal. Hell, even games that weren't quite RPGs but felt kinda like them such as Symphony of the Night which is not only my favourite Castlevania game, but one of the games I found myself playing constantly back then. Megaman and Final Fantasy also became staples of my gaming life during these years. The X series ran three more titles, and Final Fantasy (or just Square in general) released a slew of titles of varying degrees of success and failure. I think it could be said I played more games during this single era than I did in any of the others. I had over 300 hours logged into Front Mission 3, I had beaten over a hundred games, I even played Dragon Quest VII for 100 hours in 5 days straight because I was unable to stop except when fatigue'd knock me out. Only the SNES era came so close for me as being this wonderful.. I still can't decide which era I liked more and tend to just lump those two together because they had so many good memories...

I feel I've gotten off topic slightly...

During the early 90's, I would bring my TV outside of my apartment door (on the ground floor) and me and several friends would spend hours just sitting in front of my apartment playing Mario and other games. Those were good times. I had my friend Charles who was several years older than me, we would play outside my house or up in his room. He was the one who introduced me to Final Fantasy 1 back on the NES. Or my buddy Nathan and his cute sister Candice (who I had a serious crush on) would game outside or in one of our homes. Yeah, if I had to choose something that really summed up a fair ammount of my childhood as a gamer, it was playing the NES and SNES with my friends... back when I had friends who lived near me (or offline friends in general). I miss those days... I remember staying the night at my best mate's house for his birthday. James was an awesome guy. I rented Street Fighter II, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, and brought over my copy of Mario World. And we gamed until we just couldn't keep awake any more... I really miss them all...

EDIT: Ah crap, wall of text again... :/

Hiroshi Mishima
Riff Raff

View user profile http://www.zebeth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steamlord on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:19 pm

Super Mario Bros. was the first game I ever played, but it was Zelda: Link's Awakening that got me into gaming. Despite my youth, I got all the way to level 6...and then I sold it and my Game Boy. Don't ask why. Then a few months ago I bought it again, and it was the most nostalgic experience I've ever had.

Steamlord
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Monz on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:03 pm

oh man... a video game that made my childhood... Darn! There are so many! xD

But Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is definitely my choice. I'd have thought maybe Super Mario RPG, or Chrono Trigger (my 2 favourite RPGs of all time). Both of these games are brutally epic. Every single moment, sound effect, song, character.... Every god damn thing about those 2 games has marked me to my soul.

But even then, I think A Link to the Past beats them (in my personal experience, of course). I don't think I could ever again feel as epic as I did when I first popped at the top of the Pyramid, heard the famous Dark World theme start and begun my heroic descent towards battle, facing alone humongous hordes of raging creatures. Or when I struggled through Turtle Rock and got to the Boss without any remaining blue potion and fought proudly with all my might.

Ah well, I could go on by talking about each and every little second of gameplay this game has provided for me since I was 4 years old.

Good old times, eh...

I wonder if today's games can provide such emotions for today's young gamers XD

Last edited by Da Monz on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : syntax errors XD)

Da Monz
Riff Raff

View user profile http://www.azyfgaming.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:31 am

Donkey Kong 64, because it was my first video game, and Unreal Tournament and Ocarina of Time, I worshipped that game.

Hans
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:52 am

God, I completely forgot.

Aside from Pokemon and The Sims (lol), it was THE LOGICAL JOURNEY OF THE ZOOMBINIS.

God, this game was amazing.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:56 am

Hiroshi Mishima wrote:This is gonna be a tough question for me, mainly since I've been gaming for so long and my gaming lifestyle has had significant.. let's say "eras" for lack of a better term...

I really want to +1 your post, but I can't. :/

Hans
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:08 am

TheTJ wrote:That's right, FFIV forced me to learn to read.

Same thing for me. XD Almost everything I know can be traced back to playing and learning from games. And you can learn a lot from them.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:23 am

Viero wrote:
TheTJ wrote:That's right, FFIV forced me to learn to read.

Same thing for me. XD Almost everything I know can be traced back to playing and learning from games. And you can learn a lot from them.

Wow.

I learnt to read from newspapers and books. OHNOES. =P

God I'm so excited about Pokemon. But will it be the same as waking up at 4am to play Silver on Christmas morning because I couldn't wait? Or having to open the Pokedex in every new area to find the legendary dogs? (the tracking thing is so much easier but where's the nostalgia in that?) Or wanting to buy Crystal so bad because I could play as a girl?

It'll probably be better. Damn nostalgia. xD

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top