A little rant on mobile games

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A little rant on mobile games

Post  sick of sickness on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Since 2003/2004, I have had a Palm Treo. My father is an early adopter, and expects me to be one too, so he bought me a Treo600 (which by todays standards is like Windows '95), and because of cellphone plans and backwards compatibility have had a Treo since. I am not a flashy guy, and I like to blend into the background, and while the phone is convenient, for a long time, I felt embarrassed by it. He is all about impressing others, and I am all about going unnoticed. Fortunately, with Blackberry's (-berries?) and the iPhone, plus the Palm Pre, my phone-currently the Treo 755p- is outdated, so I feel safe.

The Palm has always been neglected by the gaming community, and that is fine, because I am not really a hardcore gamer, and most of the games for mobile devices--until rather recently--have been Tetris clones, top or side-scrolling shooters, or simple, casual games like Pac-Man. And while I like them, I have no need to play them on my Treo. Palm in particular has been kicked to the side, due to the fact that Palms are seen as a professional business device, and not a toy.

A few years ago, I was introduced to Katamari Damacy. I fell in love with it immediately. I have never been so addicted to a game before. I played for several hundred hours. Then the sequel. I don't have a PSP and I missed out on MMK, and the Beautiful Katamari for the 360, and likely will miss out on KDT for the PS3, but thats all well and fine.

Then, they released an iteration for the iPhone called I Love Katamari. It looked cool, but I don't have an iPhone...

And here is my complaint.

The also released Rolling With Katamari for mid-to-upper level cellphones. Everyone I know has a phone that plays it. 2 of them bought it.

The Palm, which is an extremely expensive phone, does not have it. One of my friends moved 1700 miles away so I cant really play that, and the other has some crazy Mototorola touchscreen phone that is way too wonky, and touching the screen makes it difficult to control.

I have a high-end phone that is COMPLETELY neglected and has a game I am busting to play, but cannot, and yet everyone else out there has a normal phone, and can play no problem. I wanted to play so badly.

To top it off, theyre releasing it for Android phones now too, which has an even smaller market saturation than Palm.

Its just so fucking depressing and frustrating.

On top of that I am writing this while being an emo about other things that are depressing me right now.

Im not an emo-emo, just sort of pissed off about things in general, and tought Id get this out. This complaint went ignored on the palm boards I used to post on and other game forums.

I dont expect anyone to reply to this anyway

If not, Ill delete it later.

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A little rant on mobile games

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:42 pm

I have a Nokia of sorts I got in 2006. The most advanced game on it is solitaire.

But yeah, that's gotta suck.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:49 pm

queen_camilla wrote:I have a Nokia of sorts I got in 2006. The most advanced game on it is solitaire.

Heh, yeah. Thank you for the reply, btw. Lately, on all boards, my posts go read but are not responded to. I posted a video I made a year ago on a few forums. Together, they had like 200 views, no replies, despite me asking for feedback...and its 2 minutes long. So very discouraging.

Anyway, on my phone now, I have Bejeweled, which came with it. On the old phone, I had Solitaire and Zap!2016, which was a top-scrolling space shooter. It was actually fun and challenging. It was only a few levels, but I never got past level 5, until I found a cheat code to let me do the last level just to see it. Not only did you have to dodge asteroids and bullets and enemies and such, but also had to dodge the debris you created from blowing shit up.

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:04 pm

How interesting. I have 'Katamari' set up as a Google Alert so every week I get emailed a list of articles and blog posts that mention that word. Its not as many as you think. And I only read whats relevant to what Im looking for...which is info related to Rolling With Katamari.

And I JUST got this little gem:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-games/mobilegamesnews/324558/namco_bandai_retreats_from_mobile_gaming.html

What this means is that another developer (albeit one I dislike) is at the helm, and if this affects things here in The States, then maybe there is a revitalized hope of playing it one day...though I am not hopeful of this.

My dad has a 2nd cellphone and he says when he retires it, I can buy the game, then cancel the service, keep the phone, and play till my hearts content.

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:22 pm

I wish I had technology.

The most advanced technology in this house at the moment is my DS. Seriously.

I don't understand mobiles or games. Well I do, it's just that all I ever use my phone for is text messaging. Heh.

I feel so old and behind the times and I'm only 18.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:28 pm

queen_camilla wrote:I wish I had technology.

The most advanced technology in this house at the moment is my DS. Seriously.

I don't understand mobiles or games. Well I do, it's just that all I ever use my phone for is text messaging. Heh.

I feel so old and behind the times and I'm only 18.

Yeah, Im 27 and havent learned HTML. And having texted only with a QWERTY keyboard, normal texting is awkward to me.

I am far underexposed to technology.

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:14 pm

tl;dr.

Wow. Mobile Games. Of course most of them have fatal flaws.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:31 am

I don't think I've ever bothered to game on my phone. If I had an iPhone, then probably, but I just stick with my DS for handheld gaming.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:35 am

Yeah I'm with you guys. Im not a mobile gamer...at all.

BUT I WANT THAT FUCKING RWK GAME....the fact its so elusive adds to my frustration.

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:40 am

queen_camilla wrote:I have a Nokia of sorts I got in 2006. The most advanced game on it is solitaire.

All mine had was sudoku. Then I lost it and a few weeks later I realised it was gone, I'm surprised it was that quick actually I never used the damn thing, I didn't even use up my $50 credit over the course of a whole year.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:22 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top