Its official: Nintendo is the best company ever. No, really.

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Its official: Nintendo is the best company ever. No, really.

Post  sick of sickness on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:39 pm

http://consumerist.com/5375199/nintendo-is-the-worlds-best-company

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Its official: Nintendo is the best company ever. No, really.

Post  Blue Madness on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:47 pm

I've assumed that as truth ever since I got my N64. Laughing

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of sickness on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:48 pm

Blue Madness wrote:I've assumed that as truth ever since I got my N64. Laughing

Yeah, well Nintendo seems to be one of the few companies that has the balls to just try something. Sure, they may do a little market research, but they seem to really push the envelope and are not afraid of failure. They are one of the few that tries something just to see if it works.

I really admire that and wish all companies would do that.

sick of sickness
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Should have invested in Nintendo stock 3 years ago.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serras-Kai on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:56 pm

smashbro wrote:Should have invested in Nintendo stock 3 years ago.
inorite?

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:58 pm

smashbro wrote:Should have invested in Nintendo stock 3 years ago.

Shoulda bought a squirrel Razz

And not that surprised by this

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:22 pm

They may have the balls to try something but they don't have the balls to put anything out there like lets say "swearing".

Metroid Prime 3 Original, Admiral Dane says "Damn they took out our energy shields." or something like that.

Metroid Prime Trilogy - Prime 3 Version, Admiral Dane says "NO! They took out our energy shields!" Not exact words but they had to change the small word "damn". It doesn't mean much really but still it shows they don't like stuff like that.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpingwhitebean on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Blue Madness wrote:I've assumed that as truth ever since I got my N64. Laughing

jumpingwhitebean
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/jumpingwhitebean

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:10 pm

I wonder what Poochy thinks of this.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:18 pm

SurgePox wrote:I wonder what Poochy thinks of this.
I don't.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobs on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:01 pm

Taking advantage of big walleted casual gamers and neglecting the hardcore is an absolutely excellent business strategy.
Also, Wii Play.

Hats off, Nintendo.

Dobs
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile http://smashbrosfan.proboards81.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Dobs wrote:Taking advantage of big walleted casual gamers and neglecting the hardcore is an absolutely excellent business strategy.
Also, Wii Play.

Hats off, Nintendo.
Quoted for truth. Even though we are the ones who suffer, we picked the right horse.
Even though this horse more or less just bucked us off in favor of working for grandma and grampa instead. :/

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:36 am

it's been true since 1998 for me

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:51 am

I never felt Nintendo had ever abandoned the hardcore gamers.
Except when Wii Music came out, but that was just once and not really that big of a deal.
Otherwise, I'm not bothered by casual games at all. As long as I have my Mario, Zelda and Metroid, I'm happy.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:53 am

Ha, I find this article HUGELY ironic, since just this past Monday on conference call, my boss says we 'need to create impactful displays for the Nintendo Wii because Nintendo's mad at us for our sales being under other retailers such as Best Buy, Target, etc. etc.' They're also going to remedy this situation by setting us huge oversized banners for outside of our stores to talk about the recent price drop. Now its not to say my store or even the company has a dislike for the Wii, I mean, I thoroughly enjoy Muramasa, Smash, Mario Kart, Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Tekkaman & Cashern, w00t w00t!), and Twilight Princess but it just seems like the market has been saturated. Also, consider all those people who were on the fence for the last near 3 years about not buying a PS3 or even a 360. Now that PS3 is $300, we're selling those things like crack on pancakes. Also with the Elite 360 (the one with 120 gig HD on it) also at $300, the people just seem more interested in these 'hardcore' systems. Yeah, there's still the people out there that still want the Wii & we'll definitely see them come this Holidays, but IMO & based off my observations, those that wanted a Wii, got a Wii. & those that bought it thinking it was the next best thing since sliced bread.........traded it in then bought a 360 or PS3 Razz Regardless, still looking for Other M & Samurai Warriors 3, PLUS Capcom's got me sold on the USA Tatsunoko vs Capcom because it has Frank West from Dead Rising & Tekkaman Blade! Twisted Evil

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:06 am

Dobs wrote:Taking advantage of big walleted casual gamers and neglecting the hardcore is an absolutely excellent business strategy.
Also, Wii Play.

Hats off, Nintendo.

Hardcore gamers? What, you mean the ones that spend hours sitting in their room playing Generic FPS #379?

There are two reasons why Nintendo is doing so well. Firstly, they make games that are FUN. Look at any game on the shelves today and you'll see lines like "amazing immersive graphics!", "ultra realistic mapping!" etc. I don't know about you, but I never bought a game because it had pretty graphics. I buy games because it will entertain me. Whether by immersing me in a story or being an amusing game of skill or luck, I want a game that provides me with enjoyment. Nintendo understand this, which is why they've become such a good company.

Secondly, a lot of their games encourage you to play with actual other people. None of this livebox shit where you play with some invisible person God-knows where in the world. No, instead it's you and your friends sitting on a couch. That's where the true heart of gaming is. Plus, again, it's far more fun. If you've never had a sofa-load of friends shout "NOOOOOO~" at a screen you're really missing out. It's the same as the first point; it's not about pushing boundaries, it's about having fun with your friends.

Personally, I think it's a good thing Nintendo are taking gaming to the masses. Business-wise it's a smart move to target a market that is generally neglected by games companies. Plus it paves the way for more innovation, rather than another cookie cutter shoot 'em up. And it's amusing to watch the fanboys who call themselves hardcore froth at the mouth and claim people who aren't them joining the hobby will wreck it. They've been saying that for two decades, love. Ain't gonna happen.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:56 am

Raya wrote:
Also, Wii Play.

Hats off, Nintendo.
Secondly, a lot of their games encourage you to play with actual other people. None of this livebox shit where you play with some invisible person God-knows where in the world. No, instead it's you and your friends sitting on a couch. That's where the true heart of gaming is. Plus, again, it's far more fun. If you've never had a sofa-load of friends shout "NOOOOOO~" at a screen you're really missing out. It's the same as the first point; it's not about pushing boundaries, it's about having fun with your friends.

I agree with MOST of this post entirely tho I do admit I enjoy X-box live as it's a way to game with my buddies late at night and stuff while still hearing their voice and communicating. Nintendo is definently responsible for most of my fondest videogame memories even to this day. Asfor that "NOOOOOOOOOO" remark, I've had those as well as violent results when tensions started getting high as we got "into" the games lol. Check out the "Multiplayer War Stories" thread sometime Wink

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:03 pm

Ooh, Multiplayer War Stories, good reminding. I must have some after the 31st.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Raya wrote:
Also, Wii Play.

Hats off, Nintendo.

Hardcore gamers? What, you mean the ones that spend hours sitting in their room playing Generic FPS #379?

There are two reasons why Nintendo is doing so well. Firstly, they make games that are FUN. Look at any game on the shelves today and you'll see lines like "amazing immersive graphics!", "ultra realistic mapping!" etc. I don't know about you, but I never bought a game because it had pretty graphics. I buy games because it will entertain me. Whether by immersing me in a story or being an amusing game of skill or luck, I want a game that provides me with enjoyment. Nintendo understand this, which is why they've become such a good company.

Personally, I think it's a good thing Nintendo are taking gaming to the masses. Business-wise it's a smart move to target a market that is generally neglected by games companies. Plus it paves the way for more innovation, rather than another cookie cutter shoot 'em up. And it's amusing to watch the fanboys who call themselves hardcore froth at the mouth and claim people who aren't them joining the hobby will wreck it. They've been saying that for two decades, love. Ain't gonna happen.

(butting in...)

A lot of what Nintendo is making is meant to be entertaining, but most of what they've been making outside of their famed mascot franchises, do not appeal to me or from what I see, others like me. I haven't cared about graphics either as I too go for what interests me, but like i said, there's few that are doing that now. They are, what most refer to as casual games *insert Wii + generic title here + plus*. I've bought 1 game for my Wii this year, it being The Conduit. I haven't touched that game since July because I had finally got my PC up and running for gaming, and I've been finding that loads more fun than my Wii right now.

For the record, I love my Wii, but I have few friends that could give two squirts of piss about it, so unless we're playing Brawl (or tanks on Wii Play), there's really no reason for me to get a multiplayer game. That said, gaming online with a headset is better for me, because it's easier to connect with people I've met at other places and game with them. Also, similar to JGH27, I have friends that PC game so connecting with them online is better than being in person do something on screen. You can have fun with your friends and not be in the same room. Maybe the true heart of gaming is on a couch, but there's a reason why developers keep branching further into the online world.

My game library for PC: TF2, Half Life 2, HL2 ep1, HL2 ep2, Fallout 3, Bioshock, L4D, Portal, Oblivion, Braid, Garry's mod. Notice the former 7 all being what you would probably call "generic" or "cookie cutter." Well, I find them to be fun as fuck and I could go into detail on why each one is a great game. (btw, most of them I bought were on sale.)

Like i said, i love my Wii and I'm a Nintendo guy at heart. I just haven't found many games interesting for it in the last... well, since Brawl, aside from The Conduit and the few games i traded in to get Okami (awesome game).So that's about 3 in the last year and a half. And all I want now is some more information on Pikmin 3.

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyJinx on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:01 pm

[quote="Raya"]
Dobs wrote:Secondly, a lot of their games encourage you to play with actual other people. None of this livebox shit where you play with some invisible person God-knows where in the world. No, instead it's you and your friends sitting on a couch. That's where the true heart of gaming is. Plus, again, it's far more fun. If you've never had a sofa-load of friends shout "NOOOOOO~" at a screen you're really missing out. It's the same as the first point; it's not about pushing boundaries, it's about having fun with your friends.

I don't really think there's any difference in enjoyment factor between a "sofa-load of friends" and "livebox shit". You can talk to your friends (that includes IRL friends) perfectly well with the Live headset and it really doesn't affect your enjoyment of the multiplayer experience. I don't think either companies encourage one way of playing multiplayer or another either. You could argue online multiplayer is better in some ways, due to not having to put up with the split screen.

JonnyJinx
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:00 pm

When I said what I said, I didn't mean for it to sound like I want Nintendo to make shoot 'em up games. I am just saying sometimes here and there they need to add something a little more pleasing. I do enjoy the games, a lot. But somtimes I just have to go to my PC and play Bioshock or Half Life.

Out of the FPS's I like Half Life better. I don't know what it is, it is an FPS but it isn't boring. It is different, the atmosphere of the game, going from City 17 to a run down town like Ravenholm. You really get a sense of the atmosphere in the game.

A game kinda like Half Life is what I would kinda want on the Wii, when you think about it that is kinda like Metroid Prime. The atmosphere changes, you just get a feel for everything. That is kinda what I like.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:06 pm

Half Life is awesome because I feel immersed in the world, especially when in the presence of other characters. The way the NPCs behave around you and during dialogue scenes really makes you feel apart of it. Especially in regards to Alyx. Valve did a really good fine job configuring her when you run around with her, as well as avoiding to make her overly nagging or annoying.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobs on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Raya wrote:
Also, Wii Play.

Hats off, Nintendo.

Where are these fun games you're referring to? I've got Brawl, that's nice. The respective Mario, Zelda, and Metroid Titles have also been stellar, as always, but that's about it. Mario Kart Wii kept me entertained for about a week (coming form the guy with 100+ hours on MKDS), and I rue the day that I shelled out $90 for Wii Fit. Seriously, don't waste your money, or your time for that matter. The fact of the matter is, nintendo wastes its time, money, and resources on all of the casual crap which slows down the release of the actual good games. Wii Fit, Wii Music, Wii Sports, or anything else that I can't think of are all EXTREMELY profitable because loads more people will buy them than regular games. That doesn't mean anyone is playing them 2 weeks later. The last Wii Game I bought was Madworld in July, before that...Mario Kart? I'm not sure, but there was a good few months where absolutely nothing appealed to me.

I don't give a hollering hoot about graphics. As long as they look presentable, they won't take anything away from an experience. That's not to say great graphics don't help, but they're low priority as far as I'm concerned. I never suggested that Nintendo crank out an FPS to satisfy the hardcore, because that would suck. The reason that ANYONE is a nintendo fanboy is because they love the original games nintendo has given them in the past. That doesn't include a minigame where you sit your ass on a balance board and stare at a candle until the game tells you you lose.

What's the problem with playing with people online AND at home? Everyone else seems to have that option but Nintendo... I'm sorry, Nintendo does provided easy to use friendcodes and just a smidge of lag. Not that it matters anyway. The only benefit to having someone playing right next to you is the option to punch them in the face when they're being a douche.

Nintendo isn't completely ignoring its core audience, its still making neew mario and zelda games. Its just not entirely profitable to focus all, or even most of their attention on them anymore. To maximize profits, they have to evenly distribute themselves between the two groups. That's exactly what they're doing, and that's exactly why they're so successful right now.

Last edited by Dobs on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dobs
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile http://smashbrosfan.proboards81.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:13 pm

I agree, as well as not having cut-scenes. You are Gordon ALL THE TIME.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:47 pm

The folks have brought up 2 good points IMO. 1st being that Nintendo has made a name for itself that the mere mention of a new 1st party title draws the limelight to it. Mention 'Metroid: Other M', 'Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver', or even 'The Legend of Zelda: The Girl is the Sword' & everyone knows what you're talking about. The 2nd thing though is that it needs to expand its resume. Living off of what's been great for the last 20+ years is amazing, but to keep up with the changing tides you need to expand your portfolio. That's why it was great for Sony to make God of War, but have you played Uncharted? That game rocks! Same with 360, it was cool for the Halo thing, but Gears of War is actually one of few games that Eastern developers actually respect because it was executed so well. That goes to show when you extend your moves outside of your normal box, the results can be surprising. This is probably what spurred Nintendo to go & grab Team Ninja to jumpstart Other M with a different direction in gameplay yet keeping it Metroid. There's no right or wrong with making games to expand to 'casual gamers' like Wii Fit & although the success of Wii Music was......questionable (make that Razz ) Fit sold well enough to make Wii Fit Plus! Oh, and who can forget the best 'casual gamer' game evar....

P.S. Xbox Live only sucks when some 8 year old punk is singing in your ear. THAT shit gets annoying..... Mad

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:24 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top