Rocks fall, everyone dies

Page 1 of 35 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rocks fall, everyone dies

Post  Raya on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:32 pm

So, who here roleplays? Not just online/written RPs, but tabletop and LARPing too. What systems do you play? Got any fun tales to share?

Right now I'm GMing a World of Darkness game set in WWII. My players are part of the 'special ops', fighting against the supernatural forces of the Third Reich. It's not going so well Laughing

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rocks fall, everyone dies

Post  Ansem on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:35 pm

whahaha, then step it up!

Well, the pictures in the Your face here of mine are actually while i'm larping, so yeah, that's kinda my thing.
I did Tabletop gaming, but i didn't like it very much, been playing munchkin with some friends in stead. HI-LA-RI-OUS that game....

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Ansem wrote:whahaha, then step it up!

They're going into the Hedge next session. I can see their second party wipe coming up Razz

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  strider1276 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Currently, I'm a member of White Wolf's official fan club, the Camarilla...so, I pretty much only LARP currently. So that means I'm playing Requiem, Forsaken, Awakening, and Lost (by choice; you certainly aren't forced to play all three).

While it can be annoying as hell sometimes - seriously, but a few thousand gamers together and see what happens - but the games can be pretty cool. And we do tend to raise a serious amount of cash at our conventions for charity, so that's good. (Okay, "serious amount of cash" is relative, I suppose - but donating upwards of 18K from one convention? Not too shabby, in my opinion.)

Other than that, in my past, I have played a number of TT games, from D&D (classic stuff, there) to BattleTech, to TMNT & Other Strangeness, Traveler, Star Wars (WEG version and D20 version), Rifts, Shadowrun, L5R, and most if not all of the oWoD games. Mmmmm....Demon: the Fallen. Awesome.

Anyway....looking at what I just wrote....holy shit I'm a huge nerd. *sighs*

strider1276
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:04 pm

I am so happy someone made this, now I no longer need to let my neckbeardedness spill over into other threads.
I am a pretty big WoD fan, though I just dropped out of my Changeling: the Lost group. I ahve never LARPed, but this december I am starting in an oWoD Vampire, so I am super excited.

As Eiron knows, I am currently drumming up a nWoD Innocents campaign, but I have plans on how I am going to branch that off. Also I am having a hard time finding players, so it may just never happen Sad

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serras-Kai on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:43 pm

I used to play a tabletop RPG that I actually made up. Very Happy
I made all the rules, stats, scenarios, races, character sheets, etc....

And LARPing rules!

Once, me and my part were running a course with Me (a cleric) two fighters, a thief and a mage.
We got to an encounter with a pair of catgirls that the Game Master had put in the game for the specific reason of making me uncomfortable (as I have a weakness for such) and had them attempt to kidnap me in an attempt to make me their slave forever.

My reaction:
Out of character: This. Is. The. Greatest. Day. Of. My. Life.
In character: I don't like this plan. Can we find a new plan?

That, and my "protector" since I was a Cleric was one of the two fighters. The fighter that chose to protect me? He was about ten years old and half my height. He didn't help all that much.

Serras-Kai
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:50 pm

I do a wee bit of RPing over at the fansite we beat the tar out of during the forum battle. I've never done any table top or LARPing shenanigans, but I salute all of you that have.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Mercer on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Been DMing a D&D "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" campaign off and one for almost 2 years, now. Group includes JoEllen (Zelda), Greg (bearded toad in Gay bar with chaps), Sean (Creepy Toad in Strip Club... "Mister, yer just in time"), Damian (Captain Falcon), Jack (Brendan Fraiser-looking sad toad agent at end of ep 2), and Kat (Princess Peach).

It began as 3.5, but after falling in love with 4th Edition after its release, we converted to 4th.

Been a LOT of fun, and we've only just recently began keeping up a Wiki to help us organize and log the campaign: Our Silly Ravenloft Game

Matthew Mercer
One whom pulls the strings...

View user profile http://www.therewillbebrawl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  strider1276 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:37 pm

SurgePox wrote:I am so happy someone made this, now I no longer need to let my neckbeardedness spill over into other threads.
I am a pretty big WoD fan, though I just dropped out of my Changeling: the Lost group. I ahve never LARPed, but this december I am starting in an oWoD Vampire, so I am super excited.

As Eiron knows, I am currently drumming up a nWoD Innocents campaign, but I have plans on how I am going to branch that off. Also I am having a hard time finding players, so it may just never happen Sad

Depending on where you are, it might be workable for you to check out a Cam game if you're interested in the whole LARP thing. As with all things, though, that can be hit or miss - while I like my local game, there are other games I've been to that I've been less than happy with. And quite frankly, I basically go to conventions to run (or help run) Forsaken and drink. Heavily. Oh, and hang out with pretty women. Very Happy

Is it cool for me to post a link here, or not so much? (Or, rather, several - to the main Cam site, as well as pictures from some of our conventions)

strider1276
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm already joining a LARP, and in a fun TWBB related twist, my character is slightly based off of Wario Very Happy I'm gonna prefer that you didn't post any links, but you can certainly let it be known that you are willing to PM the information to anyone who is interested. Gotta try to be consistent with the rules.

Also, I've recently started a game of Gentleman's Entomology Club. This game is rather difficult to describe myself, so I am going to quote how another site summed it up:
The Gentlemen’s Entomology Club is a roleplaying game of wine-drinking, boasting, beetles and some incidental rationalist philosophy. You take the role of an aging eighteenth century entomologist attempting to impress his peers with tales of adventures seeking bizarre insects in far-flung corners of the world. Your objective is to tell the most diverting stories of the evening.
It's every bit as awesome and absurd as it sounds. I played it this weekend and great times were had by all.

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  strider1276 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:50 pm

SurgePox wrote:I'm already joining a LARP, and in a fun TWBB related twist, my character is slightly based off of Wario Very Happy I'm gonna prefer that you didn't post any links, but you can certainly let it be known that you are willing to PM the information to anyone who is interested. Gotta try to be consistent with the rules.

No problem - consider it a free invite for folks to PM me for info! Smile

And nice that your character is slightly based off of Wario - what kind of LARP are you joining?

Also, I've recently started a game of Gentleman's Entomology Club. This game is rather difficult to describe myself, so I am going to quote how another site summed it up:
The Gentlemen’s Entomology Club is a roleplaying game of wine-drinking, boasting, beetles and some incidental rationalist philosophy. You take the role of an aging eighteenth century entomologist attempting to impress his peers with tales of adventures seeking bizarre insects in far-flung corners of the world. Your objective is to tell the most diverting stories of the evening.
It's every bit as awesome and absurd as it sounds. I played it this weekend and great times were had by all.

Hmmm....that sounds a lot like some games of Vampire I've played, albeit with less beetles.

strider1276
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:54 pm

strider1276 wrote:
SurgePox wrote:I'm already joining a LARP, and in a fun TWBB related twist, my character is slightly based off of Wario Very Happy I'm gonna prefer that you didn't post any links, but you can certainly let it be known that you are willing to PM the information to anyone who is interested. Gotta try to be consistent with the rules.

No problem - consider it a free invite for folks to PM me for info! Smile

And nice that your character is slightly based off of Wario - what kind of LARP are you joining?
Vampire: the Masquerade. We found this really super experienced ST who is advertising a game, luckily we are some of the first to join. My character is like Wario in that he in the business of trading information for information. I'm hoping that business will be good. Smile He isn't going to have the same mannerisms or anything, he's just a similar scumbag.

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  strider1276 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:59 pm

SurgePox wrote:Vampire: the Masquerade. We found this really super experienced ST who is advertising a game, luckily we are some of the first to join. My character is like Wario in that he in the business of trading information for information. I'm hoping that business will be good. Smile He isn't going to have the same mannerisms or anything, he's just a similar scumbag.

Oh, cool. I'm presuming it's a Camarilla game (IC faction; not WW's club) as opposed to Sabbat? Also, I hope you have fun with it - LARP is actually pretty cool, and great for immersion if done properly.

strider1276
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:02 pm

strider1276 wrote:
SurgePox wrote:Vampire: the Masquerade. We found this really super experienced ST who is advertising a game, luckily we are some of the first to join. My character is like Wario in that he in the business of trading information for information. I'm hoping that business will be good. Smile He isn't going to have the same mannerisms or anything, he's just a similar scumbag.

Oh, cool. I'm presuming it's a Camarilla game (IC faction; not WW's club) as opposed to Sabbat? Also, I hope you have fun with it - LARP is actually pretty cool, and great for immersion if done properly.
Yes, I am playing Brujah, which is a bit strange for my character, but I find he fits here best for his love of wanton destruction and starting drama. Also, if he is in a bit of trouble, his brothers will bail him out.
I'm still putting the character together, so far all I have are some of his skills and interests and a vague personality.

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  strider1276 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Just stay true to concept, and I think you'll be fine. If the people you're gaming with are worth their salt, IMO, they'll help the newbie out, show you some neat tricks and stuff....and then still probably beat you with them eventually, unless you learn quick (but this isn't in an oppressive manner).

Also, get some practice in with Rock, Paper, Scissors, as that's the resolution system (as I imagine you already knew).

strider1276
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:10 pm

strider1276 wrote:Just stay true to concept, and I think you'll be fine. If the people you're gaming with are worth their salt, IMO, they'll help the newbie out, show you some neat tricks and stuff....and then still probably beat you with them eventually, unless you learn quick (but this isn't in an oppressive manner).

Also, get some practice in with Rock, Paper, Scissors, as that's the resolution system (as I imagine you already knew).
Yes, and I am a monster at rock paper scissors, though I wish we used the card system, or just rolled dice.

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  strider1276 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:13 pm

The card/dice system is used in the nWoD rule set, along with my single favorite MET rule *ever*: Mediation. It's a way to simply narrate out the results of combat instead of going through using all the rules and making combat last a while. Although in the RPS system....combat can take forever. By no means am I trying to dissuade you from playing - a good ST can make a game rock anyway - just letting you know combat can be lengthy. Initial bids, retests, "the Bomb", Win-All-Ties (WAT) powers, and Overbids just add up to epic slow.

But since there's a big focus on story over combat, that shouldn't be a gigantic issue anyway.

strider1276
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:20 pm

I never even play combat characters anyways so this is not a huge problem for me. Our ST has 30 years of experience, and ran a game that got up to 50 people in his old town. I think we will do just fine.

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  strider1276 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:22 pm

SurgePox wrote:I never even play combat characters anyways so this is not a huge problem for me. Our ST has 30 years of experience, and ran a game that got up to 50 people in his old town. I think we will do just fine.

Nice - 50 people? That's a very respectable number. I've ST'd for 150 or so at a convention, but I wouldn't recommend *that* as a general thing. Fifty is far more reasonable. Smile

In any event, I do hope you have a good time with it! Smile

strider1276
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:29 pm

what is this LARP thing we're talking about? Sorry for the nub-ness, but I honestly don't know. D&D stuff always looked amusing to me, but I never knew of any groups that actually ever played it, so I've never done any.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  strider1276 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:38 pm

Relmitos wrote:what is this LARP thing we're talking about? Sorry for the nub-ness, but I honestly don't know. D&D stuff always looked amusing to me, but I never knew of any groups that actually ever played it, so I've never done any.

Basically, LARP boils down to two versions: boffer (or "demonstrative" LARP) and "social" LARP (such as White Wolf's Mind's Eye Theatre, or MET for short).

In either version, instead of sitting at a table rolling dice, you are moving around, acting as your character - it is more akin to an actor playing a role rather than describing your actions. Instead of saying "my character picks up the book"...you actually go pick up the book (if a prop is handy) or at the very least pantomime doing so. In my opinion, more immersion is better as it helps everyone get into and stay in character, but you just have to be careful nobody goes overboard.

In a "demonstrative" LARP, such as Amtgard or NERO, they are typically a fantasy setting, and the characters have foam weapons they use to "injure" each other in combat, by actually swinging at one another. In a "social" LARP, there is some other resolution system (Rock/Paper/Scissors, or cards or dice or something like that) that does not involve touching another person. In fact, one of MET's core rules that you cannot break is "No Touching". (That said, folks that have been friends and/or have been gaming together for a while violate this all the time; and it's not meant to cover shaking hands or things of that nature anyway. It's there so nobody really grapples someone else and an accident happens and somebody gets hurt or something like that.)

Hope that helps cover the basics at least! Smile

strider1276
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Relmitos wrote:what is this LARP thing we're talking about? Sorry for the nub-ness, but I honestly don't know. D&D stuff always looked amusing to me, but I never knew of any groups that actually ever played it, so I've never done any.
In a nutshell: Live Action Role Play

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Ansem wrote:whahaha, then step it up!

Well, the pictures in the Your face here of mine are actually while i'm larping, so yeah, that's kinda my thing.
I did Tabletop gaming, but i didn't like it very much, been playing munchkin with some friends in stead. HI-LA-RI-OUS that game....

Munchkins is a great game

That is all Smile

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:59 pm

thanks for the info strider, it all makes sense now. nutshell version was cool to smashbro

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:31 am

LARP-ing is like, so much fun.

My character now is Like this evil demon (hence the horns and grime, you cant see them, but there are actually 3 foam spikes rising up from my back as a sort of Bowser thing)
And my Demon now has a cult. i have literally minions i can command, and they pray to me and offer me their blood. Its epic ^^

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:28 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 35 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top