Rocks fall, everyone dies

Page 33 of 35 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rocks fall, everyone dies

Post  Minby_Aran on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Oh, right, this thread exists.

So, I played my first real DnD game the other day. Three of us plus a DM, two of us had never played before. My character was a sexy female half-orc bard whose performance ability was hitting on people. She was also from the Soviet Union (somehow). The other two were a self-hating lesbian rogue, and Freddie Mercury who could shoot fire.

Throughout the course of the game, there were two threesomes, multiple people impaled from behind (and in the behind), and Freddie Mercury basically became a stripper for money.

We only got about 4 hours into the game.

Oh, and the whole thing was played in public.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:35 pm

Relmitos wrote:Thanks for letting me join in on the game, it was much fun! I would've been okay just sitting in but what happened was much preferred. I still say it's a damn shame Fed's deuce of champions wasn't strong enough to stop them from entering the bathroom.

On my part, I'm highly considering bumping up my Stealth skill. Clearly I'm going to be the one that does all the stealthy things and I'm 2/2 on failing the stealth roll on the first round, though it was suggested maybe I invest in Firearms. I have time to consider things.

I'd suggest build the stealth more - it helps you fill a party niche and makes more sense in context since you just learned quite a bit from experience when it comes to sneaking around Razz.  

One comment Raya - I freed Relmitos, not Req Razz.  I shot the guy square in the shoulder blades.

Req, like the rest of us, figured out how awful the dice were on our skilled roles when he burned a willpower to shoot someone with his rifle, rolling 11d10... for 2 successes, nicking the guy in the shoulder.

(Seriously, I failed to notice Relm getting manhandled, Req failed to shoot the guy, fed failed to perform basic bodily functions... next Sahrimnir will be scared shitless and Tristan will forget compasses point north.)

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:46 pm

That. That certainly seems like some kind of D&D game, Minby. I'm not entirely sure WHAT kind of D&D game it is, but it's... something. ._.

Yeah. As it turns out, I'm bad at lying and I'm bad at interrogating. However, I'm very very good at burninating things.

Also, I'd like to introduce the team in graphic form.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:43 pm

So

our group is doing a Twilight Princess game with 5 people starting at level 5. 4 players and one DM

We have a fat, drunk Sheikah played by MAd that is basically a failed hero at the start of the game who gets suplexed by a 12 year old girl in the middle of the first session. He also likes to trip EVERYONE he fights.

We have a lawful good giant wrestling Goron with a 12 year old apprentice (Same one that suplexed the Sheika) that has claimed that he will wrestle every single one of us. Played by Ryan

We have a neutral evil shaman Gerudo that can summon all kinds of monsters. Played by Laura

We have a chaotic neutral Sheikah played by Requiem that so far is probably the sane one of the group (The standard)

And I'm playing a lawful neutral xenophobic Zora archer in a setting where Zora's are quite rare. So I basically hate everyone.

We've only had one session so far. But so far this is what's happened

-Moblin invasion happened led by big scary fat moblin
- We killed what was suppose to be a recurring boss right at the start because MAd kept tripping the guy.
- Laura took out about 11 guys in one attack
- A bloody murder happened in the background that no one will ever found out about. 
- All of us either got pulled into or walked into a giant black portal except for Laura who stayed behind.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:08 pm

huh......supposed to be recurring bad guy, dies to tripping a lot. Sounds like the Garland of RP villains.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:22 am

Just a note Viv, Ken's playing a Human, not a Sheikah

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Made a simplified, homebrew dungeons and dragons thingie to introduce my friends to the game (and to avoid having too many rules to bother myself with on my first run as DM). I pretty much nick shit from all sorts of fantasy but my friends loved it. Played it with three groups thusfar so now they want to continue with their characters.

Unfortunately, their characters include shit like Thomas the Dankengine, Ehr the Bear, Uhn Bearable, Flip the Lizardperson who happens to look like Hitler....

Surprisingly the men were attempting to solve all their problems with diplomacy while the women used brute force and intimidation to get their way. It was great to see the smallest, shyest girl turn into a horribly agressive mercenary when she discovered her large strength stat gave her good rolls on intimidation. It was great to have an angel-woman hit on the lewdest guy, only to have her steal all his shit. It was simply bizarre to have both 'bear' players look for a unicycle and it was hilarious to do funny voices for all characters.

Definitely gonna plot a continuation for their adventures.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Also working on a murder mystery kinda D&D thingamajig. The idea is that a party of preferably 4 play cops in the english countryside and get called into a murder during a high society bash in a castle somewhere. The owner of the place is dead and the party gets to do the whole clue thing. It seems to be a pretty standard affair, somewhat inspired by Ace Attorney (which my friends havent played anyway).

What I am not telling the players is that their 'bravery' stat isn't for show because the killer turns out to be an ancient vampire, here to reclaim the castle it once lived in.

The logistics are pretty difficult to figure out though. Because it's a murder mystery I need to have them actually solve the murder but because it's a game I can't railroad them too much.... That's going to be a problem.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Avalanche wrote:The logistics are pretty difficult to figure out though. Because it's a murder mystery I need to have them actually solve the murder but because it's a game I can't railroad them too much.... That's going to be a problem.

Have a plan of the building and list what clues can be found in each room. Likewise have a timetable of events that will occur as the game goes on. Do some gentle steering, but if the players don't pick up the clues, tough. It's a murder mystery, they need to work to solve it.

The con I'm going to next year has opened its event registration, and I'm seriously considering running a panel on GMing. Basically about what it is, how to do it, tips and tricks, dealing with problem players/nightmare scenarios, how to weep behind a GM screen etc. I have a good idea of what to have, but any suggestions of particular things I could include? Or things you'd like to see?

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:59 am

How much loot/swag to give out?
How to build an expansive world?
How to improvise when the players inevitably ignore everything you planned?
How to make your world come alive?
How to be descriptive?
How/when/the proper way to fudge?
What to do when the party doesn't interact?
What to do when the party members are losing interest?
What to do when the party members all have very different goals?
How to properly plan out a dungeon?

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:15 am

TD260 wrote:How much loot/swag to give out?
How to build an expansive world?
How to improvise when the players inevitably ignore everything you planned?
How to make your world come alive?
How to be descriptive?
How/when/the proper way to fudge?
What to do when the party doesn't interact?
What to do when the party members are losing interest?
What to do when the party members all have very different goals?
How to properly plan out a dungeon?

Can't comment on all these things but maybe a few pointers.

-Building a big world with grand history and all is fun (and easy to get carried away with) but it isn't any use if the players aren't really into it. I think it works best to give a brief description of the setting and what their overal quest entails when the players are making their characters. You can explain a lot about the world in conversation as NPC's. For example, the mermaids have an ancient feud with the unicorns, so when a mermaid player needs to get something from a unicorn, you can be blatantly racist towards them for having dumb fins or something. Maybe a unicorn will have to enter mermaid territory and is stopped at the border, making the party unable to progress until they disguise him.

-Players tend to get distracted and you definitely should allow them to meander a little. You can start the story by having the party meet up in front of a guildmaster or king, or whomever they answer to, just to give them their first lead. After that, make sure you have multiple instances, events and/or characters to nudge them back on the path you've lined out for them. Say they keep going to the whore house when they should be dethroning a corrupt steward, simply have the stewards goons ransack the place or threaten to close it down.

-Being descriptive is kinda difficult. Every time they enter a new area, you can give a page long description but it might bore the players. You having a voice fit for radio might actually work in your favor there. Personally I stick with 3-5 sentences, describing the atmosphere, notable objects/scenery and interesting people. It can go hand in hand with the world building. If the place was a warzone not too long ago, you can describe the scars it left on the landscape, if its a very poor place you can describe how downtrodden it is, etc.

-Fudging in combat usually isn't that hard because the players don't tend to have the stats for the monsters/NPC's they encounter. Not sure how to fudge outside that.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Spoiler:

All The Fun of the Fair, aka, Everyone is Genre Savvy, aka, Q is Uncle Pennybags, Fed is a Drunken Wifebeater, Requiem is King of the Germans, TD is King of the Road, Sah is the Pinnacle of Zen, Relm Commits Grand Theft Auto, Raya is a Stereotype

Last Sunday was another session of the TWBB WoD game, which was no doubt going to bite me in the ass for not thinking that the players would want a sequel and being willy-nilly with werewolf maulings. Tonight the full moon was going to happen, and with one PC confirmed as lycanthropic, and two suspected, things were likely going to get ugly and hairy. Well, no worries, I’m sure our players will be able to handle it. Right?

Right??

The session started with the players following the initial clues in the first journal page. Turns out the long numbers were coordinates, which lead to Nashville, Tennessee.  Everyone then got a look at the next journal page:

Spoiler:

Sah rolled Occult to see what he could figure out and got a mighty 4 successes. The things he picked up was that Gula is Latin for gluttony- one of the seven deadly sins- the seven pointed star behind the symbol and the Seal being broken/6 remain possibly referring to the Christian Revelations. They correctly deduced that whatever the Seal was, if it was killed/sacrificed that would be the start of the apocalypse. The coordinates then must refer to the location of the Seal. These pointed to Nashville and a location just outside the city- an open area called Bell Bend (which garnered endless immature giggling from me). Bells Bend, by an amazing coincidence, turned out to be the current location of the annual state fair! This was blatant wish-fulfilment on my part, as I’ve always wanted to go to a state fair and experience food on a stick. So armed with a vague description of what the Seal looked like, the players braved the sea of crowds and entered the fair.

We were on a bit of time constraint for this session, due to players having to leave early/being tired, so sadly I had to drop a few plotlines and rush some parts. A lost child sideplot and running into the cultists scene was dropped, and I wanted to do more with the fortune teller/night scene, but alas. To me the session seemed very awkward in plotting, but idk.

The party decided to split up to cover more ground, sensibly deciding to have one werewolf per group matched with someone who could reasonably handle them if things went pear-shaped. It was a good 10 hours until moonrise, but best be careful. Req/Fed were in one, Q/myself in another and Sah/TD/Relm in the third. Imagine my delight at having the two heavy drinkers in the same group as they stumbled across an Oktoberfest tent hosting a drinking contest! The two decided to enter and win fabulous prizes, even though they were supposed to be stopping the apocalypse/facing full moon. Priorities.

The drinking rules in WoD are nonsense, so I houseruled for the contest. They could drink up to their Stamina (their metabolism), but after that they’d have to roll their Size with cumulative penalties the more they drank. The first failure meant they were drunk. The second, they were passed out unable to continue. The boys were up against three Germans. Could they manage to drink them under the table?

Well, Fed couldn’t, failing at the third pint and getting wasted before things had even begun. Determined not to be shamed in front of the krauts, Fed started burning willpower for the next pints, getting not one but TWO critical successes! He annihilated the competition, and soon the only players (reasonably) standing were Req, Fed and one of the Germans. And Fed promptly failed again. He was out.

Req was absent at this time, so the other players were controlling him. I pointed out that they could have him bow out of the contest at any point, but it was agreed that with his Vice of Pride he’d be determined to win, especially now the lightweight Austrian was out of the running. Burning willpower, Req managed to beat the last German and win the contest! U-S-A! U-S-A! Both were absolutely drunk as skunks and no closer to finding the Seal, but they did get a keg of beer and a roast pig out of it.

Meanwhile, Q and Raya were exploring the grandstand, which was taking a while as Raya was experiencing the magical world of food on a stick. They were lured into a fortune teller’s tent, where the theatrical Gypsy Rose Lee gave the sceptical duo their fortunes. For their current situation they drew The World/3 of Cups, representing travelling with friends. Well, duh. Next was their current situation: Death. Now Death just means change, for good and for evil, and meant that Q would be facing a difficult decision in the future. She divined the possible outcomes of his decision: the first was The Emperor/King of Pentacles, representing security, judgement and positions of authority. For the second outcome the first card was 7 of Swords, representing betrayal. She flipped up the final card to uncover the results of said betrayal…

The Tower. Representing destruction, death and calamity.

The fortune teller freaked out, kicking the two out her tent. As they stood there nonplussed, Q’s phone began to ring as TD informed them their group had potentially found the Seal.

As the other groups were getting drunk/traumatising gypsies, TD/Relm/Sah had gone exploring by the livestock barns, with a quick detour for the karaoke. It was essentially the drinking contest for the light/non-drinkers in the style of the X-Factor. Nobody should give up their day jobs. Sah was boo’d off stage, Relm got to the chorus before being kicked off, but TD actually managed to roll enough successes to finish his song. He was still crap though, so had a consolation prize of a deep friend oreo on a stick.

As they checked out the livestock they stumbled across a pig with black/russet fur and a white flash on its forehead in the shape of a 7 sided star. It seemed pretty convincing that this was the Seal, so TD made enquiries with the pig’s owner. Turns out the pig had been bought earlier by some odd religious fellows, probably Mormons, who seemed very happy to have this particular pig (players rightly guessed that the ‘Mormons’ were in fact the cultists). Remembering from last session that TD is in fact rubbish at lying, they summoned ‘the people person’ (aka Q) to handle the situation. The plan was for Q to counter-offer and buy the pig using his Microsoft account (if it had worked I was going to keep track of all the stupid stuff being added to his account- a pig, a cattle truck etc). Q bought a top hat to complete his rich-guy image, but neglected to change into a suit and so looked more like a hipster than a rich businessman. Oh well.

The owner was an honest, salt-of-the-earth kinda guy, not the kind to go back on a deal. Q was so persuasive though the guy handed over the cultists’ phone number, suggesting he take it up with them. This caused a dilemma for the party; should they let the cultists know they were after the pig? Would it spook them into collecting it early? There was an earnest debate about how they could steal this pig, proving that my games are full of high adventure and excitement. In the end they decided against calling the cultists, and instead rang Mr White, the mysterious gentleman from last session. Q was suspicious of him, but had no reason to outright distrust him, so figured they might as well give him a try and see if he could help.

Mr White took the opportunity to further explained his modus operandi: there is no such thing as fate as each action, no matter how minor, caused ripples in the timeline that affected the future. His collective are involved in nudging those threads so the future plays out in the manner it should. They themselves are forbidden from taking direct action, so must have others to do so. But they are bound by the laws of the universe: everything must have an equal reaction. You cannot take without giving. So if the party receive his help, they must do something in return. In this case, he asked them to destroy the car of a republican politician who was at the fair. This man would drive home that evening and hit a deer, the crash hospitalising him. The outpouring of sympathy would see him win the next election, enabling him to pass draconian laws. If the party sabotaged his car he wouldn’t get home, wouldn’t hit the deer, and therefore would lose the election. The party agreed, but rather than torch the car they poured water into the fuel tank, wrecking the engine.

As Q was pig-wrangling, the others checked out the haunted house and the neighbouring attraction, The Travelling Johnson’s Monster Menagerie. This was a travelling exhibition of so-called monster hunters, displaying their travels and trophies. Highlights included casts of footprints, hair from a skunk ape, some wolpertingers (a fav of mine) and a preserved werewolf head, which certainly got their attention. After some enquiries it was presumed the Johnson’s were just running a tourist trap, although Raya did buy a silver letter opener from the gift shop. Just in case. In the haunted house everyone requested to roll to see how scared they were, and everybody passed…except for me, who failed utterly, and did my gender a great service by screaming like a girl and hiding behind the burly men for protection. Sigh.

Evening was coming, and with it the full moon! Q and Relm stayed behind at the fair (re: sabotaging cars), whilst everyone else headed to the woods. The plan was to chain the potential werewolves to trees and see what happened. Since I’m the sensible one, theorising that clothes won’t transform with you, I changed into an oversized tshirt from the meanagerie (“I Went Monster Hunting and All I Got Was This Lousy Tshirt”). Since the boys are much more European than I, they just stripped to their underwear/jeans and got sexy half-naked.

As TD chained everyone up (I privately rolled how well he did for each person), Req commented that he hoped nobody stumbled on the party, causing me to curse his genre-savviness as that was EXACTLY what was going to happen later. But before that, moonrise happened, and our infected members suddenly became extremely itchy and agitated. It was incredibly bothersome as their bodies wanted to transform, but they found that with concentrated effort they could resist. Phew.

Req decided to experiment, hearing that applying silver to a transforming werewolf could cure them. So, with his consent, he poked Fed with the letter opener I bought, just enough to draw blood. The effect was immediate: the wound turned black and smoking, causing Fed to scream in pain and take a point of agg damage. Turns out that silver deals horrendous damage to werewolves during full moon, even when not transformed. The pain was enough to make Fed roll to stop reflexively transforming as a survival response, which he just managed.

At this point- no thanks to Req calling this- a pair of hunters stumbled onto the camp. To these rednecks the whole scene looked extremely suspect: three people in various states on undress chained to trees, one guy armed to the teeth with guns loaded and ready and another standing back by the car. Req and TD immediate went into fast-talk mode, spinning a story that they were pretentious art students, the chained guys were just getting into character and this was all ENTIRELY CONSENSUAL. It certainly confused the rednecks enough to hesitate, although Sah speaking Swedish to them in a helpful attempt to prove they were European didn’t help matters. Turns out that the Swedish Chef has given everyone the wrong impression and spoken Swedish does, in fact, sound pretty demonic. Good job persuading the rednecks that TD and Req weren’t going to sacrifice everyone to Satan, guys.

Meanwhile the younger hunter was provoking Fed by a) poking his smoking wound and b) hitting on Raya, despite Fed’s attempts at warning him away from the certified (and annoyed) werewolf by claiming they were dating. Tl;dr things escalated and Fed started to transform. This really started to panic the hunters as, despite TD’s claims of special effects, this was pretty scary. Combined with Req’s threats about hunting permits they beat a quick exit, leaving the party behind to decide what to do about their latest problem.

Fed’s werewolf form, as it turns out, was a monstrous, dark-furred beast, considerably bigger than the previous werewolf they’d fought. I made each person a separate werewolf sheet, figuring it would be easier for the players to refer to that sheet instead of juggling numbers. For the werewolf form I’d used the stats of the Vargr (true werewolves) from Changing Breeds, figuring they would be balanced enough. Then I applied the template to Fed’s sheet and discovered that, yes, being careless with lycanthropy had indeed come back to bite me in the ass. I had created a monster. Just look at these stats:

What have I done.

To put it in context, with average defence, when wolf!Fed is attacking someone he has a dice pool of 9. Human!Raya stabbing someone with a knife has a dice pool of 2. My entire goal of transformation night was to show that lycanthropy isn’t some cool superpower, it’s Really Fucking Dangerous and a dreadful condition to have. I think the threat level might have gone way off the charts.

Since Fed’s still chained to the tree, Req decides to use the butt of his rifle to knock him out. He swings, damages but doesn’t do much. Now, remember when I said I rolled for TD’s chaining attempts, to determine how secure the chains were? Guess which member of the party he rolled zero for?

Fed did NOT appreciate being hit, and with his whopping Strength 5 tore his way free. Req also did not appreciate this turn of events and beat a hasty retreat, following the TD-shaped blur that was sprinting for the car. Seeing that the situation had just gone critical and people were in danger, I also transformed and ripped free. Since werewolves are feral beasts, Fed rolled to see if he could recognise me as a friend. And failed. With zero successes.

Oh shit.

Rather than think “this other werewolf is my friend and packmate”, Fed thought “this is a RIVAL and an ENEMY!”, and decided to show this upstart who the fucking alpha was around here. So he bitchslapped me. Literally. The claws raked my face and did a lot of damage because I BROKE THE GAME. Now being smacked so hard would usually cow a challenger, but since being a werewolf greatly exaggerates your Vice, I wasn’t going to back down without a fight despite being hugely outclassed. Sah, meanwhile, who had been completely zen and was passing his transformation tests with laughable ease, had witnessed things getting out of hand and now two of his friends were about to rip each other to shreds. So he voluntarily transformed and joined in the fray to keep the peace.

TD and Req meanwhile had threw themselves in the car, locked the doors and were screaming down the phone at Mr White asking what the hell to do as they revved the engine. The werewolves were loose, they were pissed, and if they made it to the packed fair carnage would ensue. The solution came in the form of the suggestion of a cattle truck and something tasty. Phone calls were made to Q and Relm who sprang into action. Q went to buy a cow, discovered cows were surprisingly expensive, so settled for a sheep (named Buttercup). Relm went on a mission to procure the truck, and seeing that it’d be difficult to find the owner and pickpocket the keys, settled on hotwiring it instead. Now this is technically grand theft, and thus a morality sin, but they argued that they were just borrowing it so I let it slide. Q jumped behind the wheel and they set off (with sheep) to meet the party.

Fur was literally flying with the werewolves as Sah had pounced on Fed, I lunged at his throat and Fed decided he’d had enough of these bloody betas and went for me again. With the amount of damage I’d taken, one more bite would roll me over to agg, and even with regeneration it wasn’t worth the risk, so I backed down. Now TD needed to get out attention and honked the horn. We decided it sounded like this. Well, it worked, and suddenly three hungry werewolves were focussed on the car. TD slammed the pedal to the metal and floored it.

I finally got my car chase, hooray! Car chases are opposed checks, so it was TD’s Dex/Drive/car handling value vs the werewolves Stam/Athletics. And TD fucking nailed it. He roared away, leaving the werewolves in the dust. They took up the chase, but TD was putting Lewis Hamilton to shame with absolutely amazing rolls, and made such good time he passed Relm/Q as they were manoeuvring the truck into position. Relm bravely got out to open the doors (no doubt cursing his lack of driving ability making him do this by default) as the werewolves turned the bend. Relm was a tempting target, but Buttercup was fatter and tastier, so all three piled in and tore the poor sheep to shreds. Relm slammed the door closed and viola, three safely contained werewolves! Well, they absolutely weren’t happy about being caged and went ballistic the entire night, but come morning nobody had been murdered and, back in human form, all three were let out. Since I was the  sensible one, I still had my modesty preserved via an oversized novelty tshirt. Sah and Fed…not so much. I doubt they could have cared less Razz

A quick call to the nearest Wal Mart was next for Team Werewolf Europe to clean up and to purchase cleaning supplies, in order to remove the evidence from the truck before it would be dumped in a field for the owner to collect. On returning to the car, they found it already occupied...Mr White had upheld his end of the bargain and the pig was in the car. I'm insisting the cute little fellow needs a name, as we're not spending this entire campaign referring to our new mascot as 'Satan Pig'.

Well, another session down, which was a bit haphazard and I think I could have handled things better. But plotwise, we've learnt that werewolves are bad news (and how to handle them), some of the extent of Mr White's powers (TD still needs to pay him back for the information), spooky prophecies and that the cult are doing things behind the scenes. Plus it's interesting, now they've got a fair amount, to see how the players are spending their exp and expanding into their own party niches. I was also impressed about how well they handled a crisis situation again; I was hoping expecting at least one werewolf to make it to the fair and cause havoc, but they managed to keep things contained and under wraps, with no casualties. Now we'll just have to see where people are planning on going next....

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:06 pm

To be fair, Satan Pig is a great name.

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:55 pm

I hotwired that truck like a pro. While not Td champion level of rolling, I still had some consistently good rolls, not failing the hotwiring or the Q driving parts.

I do vote on Satan Pig, btw.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Dante’s Inferno: The Musical. Aka, the Campaign Literally Goes To Hell

A rather unexpected and sudden return to the TWBB campaign as the players voted to have another session on Sunday, a week after the previous session. This threw me into a loop as all I had planned was ‘players meet up with an important NPC’, so I had to cobble together something in the space of a few days. The session also took longer than anticipated to run, meaning we called a halt partway through. This unfortunately meant that a lot of things at the start of the session (like how Q’s persuasion of Henry didn’t do as much as it should have done) didn’t get an explanation, so for quite a few things I probably looked like a mean/incompetent GM. Sorry players, there is a reason for my rule calling, we just didn’t get to the point where it made sense. Don’t be hating ;_;

Req also wasn’t here for the session (due to cleaning out the Augean Stables), but kindly agreed to be NPC’d so the others could still play.

The session began with the party sitting in a café, still in Nashville, discussing their next move. The Satan Pig, now christened Ganon/Gannon, was also in tow. It was decided to check out where a previous set of coordinates matched up; a residential address in Nashville. Actually, holding my hands up here, this wasn’t planned at all on my part. I knew I wanted them to meet this important NPC at some point early on, they were heading into a residential area, so I decided to switch round the campaign and have him be in Nashville rather than my original plan.

As the party made their decisions, several of them noticed the news on the TV in the café. ‘TRAGEDY STRIKES STATE FAIR’. A local farmer had been found beaten to death in the morning as the fair was packing up…and yes, it was the lovely salt-of-the-earth guy who owned Ganon in the previous session. The players quickly made the deduction that the cultists probably came to get the pig, discovered him gone and killed the farmer in retaliation. There was a hurried discussion about whether or not to put the pig in a disguise, as my games are nothing but serious business. On the TV there was also a breaking news flash about a bomb threat to a local government building. Hmm.

Off to the address, which turned out to be a door to an upstairs flat. The players staked the place out, unwilling to just knock and see what happened. After much discussion they decided to fake a pizza prank: they bought 5 pizzas and Q/TD pretended to be delivery boys in order to see who was inside. Everyone else hid, apart from the NPC’d Req who was left on pigsitting duty.

The door was opened by an old man, an aging hippy with the slight tremble of palsy. He quickly deduced that not only were Q/TD trying to ruse him, he also somehow knew there were others hiding out of sight. How mysterious. He invited everyone upstairs to his flat; Q and TD obliged and later called the others. Req stayed in the car, having a singalong with the radio.

Spoiler:

The man introduced himself as Henry Lightfoot, and asked their business. Q produced the journal, which Henry was surprised to see; he knew what it was, and that it was the property of his friend Chris (crazy guy), and wondered why the party had it. They explained what had happened in the first session, and Henry was shocked and saddened at hearing of the gruesome death of his friend. He went to make tea for everyone, leaving the party to look around the flat.

Henry, it seemed, was an artist. Canvasses were propped wherever there was space, parchments were scattered everywhere and drawings hung clipped from washing lines that crisscrossed the small room. A bit of digging turned up some interesting things; most of the drawings were quite dark in nature, and involved odd scenes such as glowing ritual circles in fields, monsters attacking men and men attacking monsters. When Henry returned with the tea, they queried about the pictures and Henry elaborated.

He was an artist, and painted what he ‘saw’. He and Chris became good friends when they discovered that Chris’ research matched up with Henry’s visions. Chris had followed the clues and uncovered evidence of some daemonic conspiracy taking place. His last message to Henry was that he was onto something big. There had been no correspondence for a while now- which he now knew because Chris had been killed by the wall demon.

At this point Sah, Raya and Relm keeled over, and everyone realised that the tea had been drugged (fucking genre-savviness again). As the conscious wtf’d, Henry’s demeanour changed as he declared he knew full well why the party were here: they were in league with the cult and had come to find out what he knew before killing him. Fed made to flank Henry, who raised his hand and somehow mindblasted Fed, who went down like a sack of potatoes. TD attempted to calm things down and received the same treatment- this time Henry rolled an exceptional success against TD’s paltry 2 to resist, which flung TD halfway across the room before knocking him out. Realising that this guy had supernatural powers and was not afraid to use them, Q desperately tried to argue that they weren’t enemies. It stopped Henry from making his head explode, but not enough to stop him demanding that Q drink the tea (two reasons for this- one because of reasons revealed next session, two because otherwise Q would be out of the game and doing absolutely nothing all session). Q obliged, forgot to take a seat first, and hit the table on the way down.

Req, meanwhile, was getting drunk with Ganon in the car.

The party woke up to find themselves in a dark wood. It was full of ancient, gnarled trees, their canopy blocking out the stars. A bit of investigation found a faint path leading out the wood, along with the fact that the wood was utterly silent. No birds, no insects, nothing. As the party navigated the path, they became aware that they were being stalked by something very large and leopard spotted. A few occult rolls bought to mind the three beasts that stalked Dante at the start of Inferno- the lion, the leopard and the shewolf.  Since TD and I both have the Encyclopaedic Knowledge merit, we rolled to see what we remembered of the poem. And TD got 9 successes.

9 SUCCESSES.

Holy shit. TD didn’t just remember facts about Dante’s Inferno, he could practically recite it. We decided that this meant he could recall 9 particular things about the poem, which he could invoke at any point of the game. Suspecting that they may be stuck in some classical literature (with Q suggesting the wood was one big hallucination), the party decided they had better get out of the wood, and thanks to some super navigation rolls they did. The wood ended at a wide, misty meadow filled with white flowers. The light and visibility were poor, the whole area wreathed in a foggy half-light. The players attempted to identify the flowers, which failed, then tried to remember folklore regarding meadows. They came up with the Elysium Fields and the Asphodel Meadows (hence the flowers). The closest equivalent to Asphodel Meadows in Christian mythology is Limbo, so they concluded that that must be where they were. Well shit, looks like they may very well be dead.

As they navigated the mist the party began to notice things. Firstly, TD appeared to be developing sparkles like little stars over his body. They joked that he was either a vampire or the party’s Virgil. Secondly, that they were not alone. Humanoid figures could be seen in the mist, largely ignoring them, but soon the figures took notice and began to follow. These figures were in fact the souls of people remaining in Limbo, and if the players had made an effort they could have communicated with them. Everyone decided it was 2spooky4u and hurried on, coming to a large stone wall. They followed it to a wooden gate inscribed with the phrase Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate’. No need to understand Italian to work out what it translated as: ‘Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here’.

Yup, all the players have been dumped in Hell.

They entered anyway, finding themselves in the middle of a dark storm. Faint snatches of words could be heard upon the wind, which the party didn’t dwell on and moved towards a light source in the distance (they were in the second circle, Lust, and the voices were the souls of the lustful caught in the tempest. If the players had hesitated they were in danger of being swept away, but thankfully didn’t). The light turned out to be a labyrinth, the walls of which bizarrely turned out to be made of TV screens. Being broadcast on those screens was every single nasty and selfish thought the players had ever had, along with every moment of personal embarrassment they’d experienced. The party gritted their teeth, absolved that they’d suffer together, and went into the labyrinth. Using logic they made good progress, which the maze didn’t like, and soon the screens began to show something even worse: the party’s innermost dirty thoughts and fantasies. Party reactions ranged from acceptance of the fact they were terrible perverts, agreeing never to speak of this again, or taking notes. They steeled themselves eventually made their way through the maze of filth to the exit.

As the party faced their inner demons, Req and Ganon were busy.
Spoiler:

Beyond the labyrinth lay a horrid swamp, splattered with foul dark rain. The party slogged their way through, taking stamina tests as the thick ooze tried to drag them down. Relm did pretty well here, obviously from being a swamp boy Razz Those who failed soon found it wasn’t just the ooze trying to drag them down- they were now in the Swamp of Despair from The Neverending Story. TD, who had failed his stamina roll, then failed his composure/resolve roll and found himself giving into despair, sitting down and refusing to move. Q stepped up to do some inspiring (earning a bizarre light behind his head), motivating the exhausted TD enough to climb up on Fed’s back. Despite being covered in mud and depressed, TD managed to get a whopping 6 success on his perception test…and spotted that approaching the party was a house-sized, three headed dog. It was Cerberus. THE Cerberus.

Some occult rolls dragged up what they knew about Cerberus: he was the guardian of the Greek Underworld, tasked with preventing the living and the dead from mingling. In Dante’s Inferno, he guarded the third circle, feasting on the souls of the gluttonous. Sadly, the party ticked both those boxes.

Now, although the party couldn’t really defeat Cerberus in a fight (though if Req had been there he surely would have given it a good go), they had several options for surviving this encounter. As he was the size of a house, they could have used their smaller stature to run and hide, or entangle him in the mangrove trees, or trip him up in the brooks. Since there were 6 of them and 1 of him, they could have also scattered, or one of the party could have done a noble sacrifice to buy the others time to escape. TD however used his Dante Points and remembered how Dante and Virgil stopped Cerberus: by filling his mouths full of mud. So they went with that idea.

Oh. Well, I hadn’t planned for that, so ruled that they needed to get a certain amount of successes per head to get enough mud in there. As the party started slinging mud, Fed charged Cerberus as a distraction. I decided it would be mean to have attack with all three heads, so he bit with just the centre one…and did a mighty 2 damage. As this was going on, Sah remembered another bit of Greek mythology, where Orpheus soothed Cerberus with song. Happily forgetting he got kicked off the karaoke last session, Sah started to sing. Now, this could have actually worked, but Sah had a lot of things going against him:

1)      He had no instruments, no backing singers, and had to rely on voice alone.
2)      He was singing in Swedish/Russian, not Greek/Latin/any language Cerberus would have known.
3)      His Vice is gluttony, meaning his soul looked extremely appetising to Cerberus.

As a result, he would have needed a ridiculously amount to succeed. He got a mighty 4, which was good but sadly not good enough. Cerberus charged towards him, snapping at Fed along the way (another 2 damage). I pushed Sah out the way, meaning I took the dog’s attack…another 2 damage.

WHY CAN’T THIS FUCKING GIANT DOG HURT ANYTHING HE BITES LIKE A CHIHUAHUA FFS

So as this mighty underworld guardian did nothing but nibble people, Relm had the bright idea of finding something to shovel mud with, and found a scapula. What a strange coincidence, finding exactly what he needed. He hurled the mud, got an insane amount of successes and completely splatted Cerberus’ middle head. It was a good enough distraction and the party escaped into the swamp.

At this point the party were in a rough way. Sah and Raya had taken some damage and Fed had taken a serious battering, close to rolling over into agg (he did test to see if his injuries triggered a transformation, which he passed. Nobody queried why he was rolling when it wasn’t full moon). When they stumbled across a barrow that appeared to be inhabited, it was debated whether or not to go in, but out of concern for Fed the majority voted to go in (plus after all, Hell must throw the best parties). Inside the barrow they found the burial chamber lit with torches and filled with music. The walls were decorated with weaponry and armour, and in the centre was a vast table filled with delicious foodstuffs. There were several empty chairs, other chairs filled with odd humanoid figures who sat motionless at the table. They didn’t respond when questioned, so the party ignored them (also being too genre-savvy to provoke them to action…). As Fed was bandaged up, Sah, with his gluttony vice, completely failed to resist the temptations of the table, reaching out to steal just a little bite of chocolate…but was thankfully stopped by a vigilante Fed. Dammit guys.

A search of the chamber uncovered a passageway into the bowels of the earth. Following it, they emerged onto a wide plateau, covered in cracks and deep chasms that stretched into nothingness below. The place was littered with stone boxes that glowed from fires within, the air filled with acrid, choking smoke.  It seemed a suitable place to call a halt, so the session ended there, partway through Hell.

The session was a little rough due it literally being thrown together at the last minute. Also I am severely underestimating my players’ abilities at crisis management. After 4 sessions they’ve managed to either bypass or completely neuter every single terrible event I’ve thrown at them. I need to step up my game. Luckily we have the bottom part of Hell still to go, and it’s not going to be a walk in the park…

MICROSOFT ACCOUNT CHARGES
- Top hat
- Buttercup the sheep (deceased)
- 5 large pizzas

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Raya wrote: Relm did pretty well here, obviously from being a swamp boy Razz

WHY CAN’T THIS FUCKING GIANT DOG HURT ANYTHING HE BITES LIKE A CHIHUAHUA FFS

So as this mighty underworld guardian did nothing but nibble people, Relm had the bright idea of finding something to shovel mud with, and found a scapula. What a strange coincidence, finding exactly what he needed. He hurled the mud, got an insane amount of successes and completely splatted Cerberus’ middle head. It was a good enough distraction and the party escaped into the swamp.

Native advantage, yo. I used to go to the sandbar when I was younger with friends and throw mud balls around like they were snowballs because snow doesn't happen this far south. What else were we gonna do?

Your Cerberus is obviously gimpy in some fashion.

Honestly, being in a swamp I expected to find a slab of petrified wood or something of the sort. The scapula worked though, apparently. Don't worry about the middle head there, it was just me being a hero. /flex, I AM MIGHTY!!!

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:20 pm

Dante’s Inferno The Musical Part 2: Electric Boogaloo: STAPH Edition

The TWBB game resumed on Saturday, and we returned to our players still lost in the depths of Hell. They were currently stuck on the 5th level- Wrath- meandering through a shattered landscape of sulphurous smoke, yawning crevasses and burning tombs. It was hot, muggy, stinking, and the tired party were not in the best of moods. TD’s navigation didn’t appear to be getting them anywhere, and I pointed out to Q how frustrating this was- he clearly could be doing a much better job and that useless TD was probably leading everyone into danger. Much to my delight and approval, everyone OOC quickly picked up that the level was messing with their minds and making them aggressive, and they roleplayed it to the hilt. There was snarking, in-fighting, yelling, and everyone getting mad and frustrated at each other. Fed and I were at each other’s throats and then, in the ultimate dismissal, he did the absolute worst thing a tall person can do to a short person…he put his elbow on my head and used it as an arm rest.

OH NO YOU DIDN’T

That was the flash point. Wrath was screwing with everyone’s minds and Fed had just hammered the prideful werewolf’s berserk button. It was on like Donkey Kong. From out of nowhere Raya pulled out the silver letter opener and rammed it in between Fed’s lower ribs.

IRL I’d never try to injure Fed- after all, we’re bros- but this was how badly Wrath was warping people’s minds and turning them against each other. After all, this was the guy who had kicked my ass in the full moon session and made himself the alpha. As being transformed greatly exaggerates your vice, needless to say being forced to submit as beta had badly rubbed me the wrong way, and the 5th level was preying on that. Now I was intending to do a decent amount of damage here, expecting a complete smackdown coming my way otherwise. Attacking with the knife gave me a dicepool of 4, but since it seemed appropriate for the situation, I spent willpower and used an all-out attack, giving me a dicepool of 9. With how terrible my rolling had been with Cerberus (who again had 9 dice to attack), I figured I’d wound Fed and that would be that.

Nope. I dealt him 5 points of agg damage. 5 POINTS.

Combined with how injured Fed already was, this very nearly killed him. He was 2 points away from death. The party’s arguments were suddenly interrupted by Fed’s violent screaming, black smoke pouring from his chest, as I stood there clutching the smouldering weapon. Since it had now all kicked off everyone rolled initiative, and by some quirk of fate Fed rolled highest and I rolled lowest. I’d written out there werewolf rules for the lyncanthropic players a while ago, and there’s four situations that can trigger a change on full moon night (this being Hell, it was always full moon)- taking agg damage, being in considerable danger, damage in your final health boxes and having your vice provoked. At this moment in time Fed fulfilled 3 out of 4. He spent his turn bent double, clutching his chest and transforming in a desperate survival response. With a shapeshifting monster on one end and a psychopath with a knife on the other, the rest of the party took action before things turned into a TPK. TD rugby tackled Raya and knocked her flat, giving Relm the chance to disarm her, whereas Q and Sah tried to calm down the highly distressed (and soon to be murderous) Fed. They did brilliantly, giving him enough bonuses to pass his Composure/Resolve roll and stop his transformation.

TD meanwhile was having a major case of déjà vu, rolling around with Raya in the dirt in an attempt to overpower her. Unfortunately for him, since the last time she’d taken a dot in Brawl, meaning she managed to win the roll, flipping him over and pinning him instead. Cue the party singing the forum national anthem at the idea of Raya straddling TD. In an attempt to diffuse the situation Sah tried to calm down Raya in the same way he had with Fed. He got zero successes this time, so he basically patted Raya on the head and went “There there, there there.” Q’s attempt was fortunately a lot more effective in that it actually worked. The now rational Raya was suddenly confronted by the realisation that she had just attempted to murder one of her best friends in a moment of madness. This was a Morality test, which I ruled was at the same severity of manslaughter (he didn’t actually die, but the intention was there). I failed, dropping down to Morality 6, took the derangement roll on 6 dice…and failed that too. So even though I felt horrendous at stabbing Fed, I had justified it to myself that he’d been asking for it, what  with that sodding elbow on my head and all. The immoral act however had sent me a little crazy. Rather than hold up the game I decided to pick a suitable derangement later (which gave it time to manifest anyway), and eventually settled on fixation. Whenever I passed/failed a critical roll there was a chance I’d obsess over what I could have done differently, giving me penalties to future rolls. Seemed quite apt given my unintentional deranged behaviour.

As Fed was patched up best they could manage, I was essentially made to sit in the corner and think about what I’d done/stay out of trouble. Relm kept the letter opener and Fed refused to even acknowledge me (quote: “You’re dead to me.”). Needless to say, he wasn’t taking this whole being stabbed business very well.

Spoiler:

Neither was I really, struggling to keep my stiff upper lip in the face of being an absolute fucking monster. It took Q insisting that they weren’t leaving anyone behind to get me moving again, and now we knew Wrath was messing with us, we hurried as quickly as possible to get out of this terrible place.

The sulphurous smoke gave way to a barren river bank, alongside which lay a wide river of blood. Standing there looking very confused was Req, who had turned up to play at this point and was quickly filled in on the horrible mess he’d just missed. We had a quick roleplay of him sitting in the car, finally thinking that everyone had been gone a long time meeting this mysterious guy and that he should probably go check it out.

Req: I’m not leaving the pig in the car. I’ll empty the suitcases and make a leash for him. We’re in the sticks, nobody will notice someone taking a pig for a walk.
Me: We’re not in the sticks, we’re still in the city.
Req: We are?
Q: We’re in Nashville!
Req:…oh.

Ganon still got a leash anyway, and tl;dr Req got mindblasted and ended up in Hell with the rest of us. The pig, thankfully, did not (nobody wanted Satan pig in Hell).

Beyond the river was a dark forest, and rising up beyond that were mountains. As the place seemed fairly quiet and safe, the party took the opportunity to rest up and plan their next move. Nobody wanted to swim across the river of blood (leading to a new addition to my ‘Worst Things I’ve Ever Said As A GM List’: “No, you won’t catch Hell AIDS from swimming in the river of blood.”), so they scouted the river and found an area where the current flowed slightly faster than the rest, and correctly deduced that it was a ford. Since wading through blood was preferable to swimming through it, they elected to cross there.

Good thing they did actually. After arguing about which order everyone should go in (nobody wanted the stabber behind them ;_; ), the party were halfway across when Sah realised that there were things in the river with them- lost souls who attempted to drag them down into the depths. As they were standing on the ford (as opposed to swimming), they stood (pun not intended) a much better chance at resisting. TD and Sah still fell over, but managed to fight against being pulled to their doom. They…didn’t look quite as good when they emerged though.

Spoiler:

(incidentally, if everything had kicked off badly in Wrath with everyone murdering each other and werewolves running amok, I’d envisioned those who’d kept their heads making a break for the river and swimming across, being persued by the others, having a nice clusterfuck of everyone fighting/swimming for their lives whilst being dragged under by lost souls. But as I’d said before, the party are very good at avoiding worst case scenarios)

Finally getting to the other side, the party surveyed their next obstacle: the forest ahead of them. The forest was a dark, gloomy tangle of briars and thorns, and the players correctly deduced that this was the forest of suicides, where those who had taken their own lives were transmuted into bushes and trees. The forest was the last bit of the session I’d designed, because quite frankly I had a lot of trouble with it. Originally the players were supposed to avoid the centaurs lurking within, but that was too similar an encounter to the earlier levels. Then I planned a stealth mission, but realised that would end up with either Relm soloing the whole thing (and everyone else sitting on their arses), or everyone falling stealth rolls and it turning into a fight again. About 90 mins before the session started I had a brainwave, and instead the forest morphed into the Hedge.

For those unfamiliar with WoD, the Hedge is the boundary between the mortal and Fae realms, and is a Very Bad Place. It’s a horrid labyrinth, nearly impossible to navigate, and the thorns slowly tear away the souls of lost travellers, leaving them as empty husks. Quite appropriate for a forest of suicides I thought. Mechanic-wise, to get through the forest/Hedge you needed to make navigation rolls at -3, and collect a set amount of successes to make it through. Each roll represents an hour, but each hour spent in the forest strips away a point of Morality. Once Morality 0 is reached the character is a broken shell, lost forever to become part of the forest.

Not that the players knew this at first. The first navigation roll was made, gaining a small amount of success. As the PCs stopped to take their bearings, I declared that everyone had lost a point of Morality. They then rolled to see if the loss had given them a derangement, and only Sah failed this one. Usually you get a derangement appropriate for the situation/character, but as this madness was unnatural we rolled randomly. Poor Sah got depression, the gloom of the forest seeping into his very soul.

The players wtf’d at this Morality loss, backtracking over their previous actions to figure out what had caused it. Out of character it dawned on Sah just how fucked they are all were.

Sah: I think I know where we are.
Me: Where do you think we are?
Sah: We’re in the Hedge, aren’t we?
Me: >=)
Sah: DDDDD:

An Intelligence/Investigation roll allowed the PCs to realise that the heaviness in their heads was due to the forest’s malign influence and that they had to push on as quickly as possible. Q used his Inspiring skill to restore everyone’s willpower and only managed 1 success- everyone’s spirits were down and his words felt empty, but it was enough to motivate them somewhat. Another navigation roll earned a sizeable amount of successes, but not enough to escape the forest. Another drop in Morality, another derangement roll, and this time both myself and Q failed. Very appropriately, Q’s random derangement was narcissism- he was feeling pretty damn good about himself for inspiring everyone and sorting out the werewolves earlier. I wasn’t looking too good though, going crazy at Morality 4 and with 2 derangements. Now I was okay with mass property damage and arson. One more and I’d be fine with committing manslaughter. I was pretty much going nuts in the forest.

Luckily one more successful roll saw everyone out of the forest, albeit feeling empty and somewhat dead inside. Beyond lay the scree slopes of the mountains that marked the borders of the 8th and 9th levels. It was a hike to get up there, which Sah and TD failed and took damage from slipping over on the rough stones. The critically injured Fed however, even with his penalties, managed fine (we’ll blame the former for still being covered in blood). Eventually they made it to the top and gazed across the abyss- the mountain ended at a sheer cliff face, and beyond was naught but blackness. The 9th level and thus the exit lay below, but there seemed no way down except climbing down the cliff face. Chucking some rocks into the darkness though caught the attention of the beast that made the mountains its home- the geryon, the personification of fraud with the face of an honest man and the body of a monster.

The geryon was highly entertained that the party had made it to its lair, and that they hadn’t run away screaming. It was also impressed that they’d travelled through Hell intending to get to the 9th circle. In exchange for this amusement, it offered them a deal- if they could give it something of value, it would carry them down to Cocytus.

A group huddle ensued as everyone debated what they could possibly offer that the geryon would accept. The idea of defrauding it was dismissed as too dangerous, so Raya made her own suggestion- she’d offer herself. She’d already betrayed the group by stabbing her close friend, she was damned anyway, a complete monster and had been nothing but a liability to the group, so she would stay behind if it would enable the others to escape. The group unanimously declared that that was out of the question, and to show that they actually meant it, in an act of forgiveness Fed pulled her into a hug.

Spoiler:

They settled on offering the silver letter opener, as it was a valuable object of holy metal and a symbol of betrayal (sorry Fed ;_; ). The geryon accepted and took them down to the 9th level, the final stage of their ordeal.

Cocytus was cold, bitterly cold, with an icy gale blowing through the blackness. There was nothing there save darkness and ice, and the party trudged onwards into the wind. The exposure inflicted damage on everyone, and at this point Fed was teetering on the brink of death. If they didn’t get out of this freezing wasteland soon he would perish. Fortunately or not, a booming voice sounded from all around them.

“You’re a very long way from home, aren’t you?”

From out of the darkness emerged an immense dragon’s head, Smaug-sized with black scales and cold dead eyes. In that instance everyone saw all the other members of the party flash-frozen into ice statues, with them alone remaining. The voice emanating from the dragon continued; it had been watching the group from the very beginning, and was greatly impressed at their efforts to reach him in the final level. As a reward for their tenacity, he offered the person he was speaking to a bargain: if they sold out their friends, they could return to life and leave Hell for good, but their friends would remain behind. If they all stayed silent, they would all remain in Hell. If more than one betrayed, they would all be damned.

The more astute amongst you may recognise this as the Prisoner’s Dilemma, and certainly the party knew it as such (as I gathered from the howls of “YOU ARE AN EVIL GM OH GOD”). I demanded that there was no conferring, and that everyone had to PM me their answer. As the results rolled in I was rocking back and forth in delight, partially from what they were writing in reply, partially from the panic and doubt I’d managed to wreck on everyone. The players were sweating bullets; had anyone sold them out? Were they doomed to Hell for all eternity?  As the final answer arrived the party were unfrozen, looking at each other nervously- what was the verdict? Would any of their trusted friends abandon them for freedom?  The dragon laughed at their responses, opened its jaws and a great gout of flame engulfed the party, plunging them into darkness…

Nobody had betrayed the party! Every single person chose to remain in Hell instead of selling out their friends. Here were their answers:

Spoiler:

I’ve never been more proud of my players than at that moment. They chose damnation over betrayal. What absolute bros.

The players awoke to find themselves in Henry’s flat, strewn over various pieces of furniture and piles of laundry. As Q had correctly guessed at the start of the previous session, the trip to Hell had all been inside of everyone’s heads. As a result none of the damage they’d suffered was real (much to Fed’s relief), and neither was the Morality loss caused by the forest of suicides. My Morality loss from stabbing Fed still remained though, as it was a conscious decision on my part. The girl who had entered Hell was not the same as the one who had left it.

A surprisingly chirpy Henry requested that they join him in the living room, and they found him enjoying a (non-drugged) cup of tea.

Henry: I imagine you’ve got a fair few questions for me.
Q: Actually, yes, wha-
TD: WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT
Q: Uh-
TD: I’m slamming my hands down on the table as I’m saying this. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT

So Henry went into exposition mode and explained what indeed that was all about. When the party had arrived on his doorstep he had no idea if we were in league with the cult or not. We could have been telling the truth about how we came across the journal, but we could have also murdered crazy guy, took his journal and were now hunting down his contacts. He couldn’t trust his own mind scanning abilities due to daemonic protection (it was heavily implied Henry was a Mastigos mage), so the only way he could be sure of our innocence was by mentally trapping us in a scenario and watching our actions as it played out. After seeing how everyone pulled together, worked as a team and refused to betray each other, he became convinced we were speaking the truth and that he could trust us.

What followed was a Q&A session as Henry provided what answers he could regarding the cult and their plans. It was agreed that the party would need to collect the Seven Seals to prevent them falling into the cult’s hands; if they did, the cult would use them to kickstart the apocalypse. Due to what a pain in the ass the vague riddles were in the journal, Henry taught them a cantrip (shamelessly stolen from Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell) which would make the search easier: they could now conjure a miniature ball of light in a container of liquid, which would get stronger the closer it was to a Seal. The session ended with Henry’s magic lesson, which as a former hippy also included some, um, alternative forms of mindblasting.

I have to say, this was my favourite session of the campaign so far. The players were on top form and their roleplaying was fantastic. Becoming antagonistic on the Wrath level, the ‘never leave a man behind’ mentality and refusing to betray each other in exchange for freedom was brilliant. I thoroughly enjoyed how it all turned out, and I hope they did too. I’ll try and keep this up Smile

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:43 pm

In my defence, I'd missed the majority of the previous two sessions, and the last thing I saw was that we were at a fair out in the middle of nowhere.

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:13 pm

Going for a follow-up session with my groups next week. The guys seem committed to want to try and kill the incredibly powerful aliens that installed themselves as sovereigns and ushered in an era of peace. They'll be guided to an Indiana Jones-esque adventure to get a powerful artifact before the alien overlords do. It'll turn out to be one of the aliens, still in stasis.

The girls still have to confront the boss of the first session, which was their employer all along. After that they will return to their guild to find two letters waiting for them. One for the anti alien overlord Indiana Jones quest and one for fantasy scene investigations, hired by the alien overlord to figure out why children keep disappearing.

Also.... One of the players on the girl team figured out that it was a great idea to loot dead bodies. I have no clue why the guys never thought of that.

One of the guys did become a folk hero by helping the downtrodden and basically being lizard robin hood.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:10 pm

My priest just married a vampire

#justdmthings

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Spoiler:
Yeah, our latest session of the RP was…interesting to say the least.

Based on the next journal page, we were off to the home of soul and jazz- New Orleans! I’m actually really proud of this journal page, I think it came out really nice. Special thanks go to Barda for translating for me!

Spoiler:

Translation:

In the Big Easy things are not what they seem
The city burns and drowns
The rot of the dead and the passion of life intertwined
As Baron La Croix stalks the streets
The pretender wears the tattered finery
And calls upon the powers of Hell
To twist the mind and feast like a ghoul
On false lusts and broken thoughts
The mantle of the man-eater
Grants him mastery of LUXURIA
And makes him king of half the damned

I wanted to do something different for this session, and also give the players the chance to use skills/merits they hadn’t before. The past few sessions have been focussed on combat/exploring/survival/teamwork, so this time I wanted an investigatory game where they would have to make enquiries, sniff out clues and do some actual talking. Mixed results I feel were had.

As a note: this session had a twist at the end. Certain things happened during the plot that are explained by the twist, so I’ve elaborated on these by footnotes. If you know the twist, skim to the end when prompted and see the note.

The party arrived in New Orleans in the evening and decided to split into teams to search the city for the next Seal. The cantrip Henry had taught them in the previous session required an Intelligence/Occult roll to cast, so the party divided based on who could actually cast the bloody thing. Q and Req’s team, lurking around the infamous Bourbon St, eventually picked up a signal, then utterly failed their rolls to home in on it. At least it gave them time for the rest of the party to regroup with them, after which they tried again to narrow down the source. Eventually they found exactly what they were looking for.

Coming out of a bar was a young man, mid-20s, skinny with dark hair, with a drunken laughing girl on each arm. He was pulling off the hipster look pretty well, with a mishmash of nice shoes/trousers and a battered old demin jacket with an embroidered tiger on the back. Shameless confession here, this jacket was totally the one from my favourite episode of We Bare Bears, and it was going to screw things up just as badly for the party as it had done the bears. [1]

Realising that the Seal was either him or on his person, Q made the first move by going up to the guy and trying to make conversation; specifically on where to buy cigars. On account of him not being a sexy chick, he was promptly told to fuck off.[2] As the guy and his lady friends went away through the Bourbon St crowds, Relm and Req decided to shadow them and see where they went, Q and Fed went into the bar he had just come out of, and Raya/TD/Sah remained on the street. We’ll come back to them later.

I’d designed a lot of this session with Relm in mind, as he hadn’t got to properly use his sneaking ability yet. He jumped right into stealth mode and successfully shadowed the guy through the crowds (Req tagging along and not giving themselves away with his worse stealth skills), and saw him arrive at a popular club, walk straight past the line and into the entrance. The bouncer stepped up and blocked his path, obviously not happy with his scruffy attire, but with a few words the bouncer smiled and let him through.[3]

Relm and Req however did not have this luxury as they attempted to follow their target into the club. Unbeknownst to them, the bouncer would only let people with Presence 3 or higher (or anyone with the Barfly merit) in the club, and the pair of them only had Presence 2. Req, therefore, fell back on some good old-fashioned corruption and attempted to bribe his way in. It was a tough opposed action, but he succeeded, and the velvet rope has pulled back to allow them enterance.

As this was going on Q and Fed (aka The Party People) had entered the bar they had seen the guy emerge from in order to do some investigation. It was an old fashioned traditional pub, with black and white photos on the walls, fabrics stained by decades of tobacco smoke and a regular who hadn’t left his corner stool for 40 years. The pair hit it off well with the bartender, and started enquiring about their target. They learnt that his name was Antoine LaGauche, the nephew of one of their old regulars, Louis. Louis had sadly passed away shortly after Antoine had arrived, and it was generally assumed that he had looked after him in his final months/inherited his property[4]. Louis had died from a heart attack and had not been well beforehand, being short of breath and pale[5]. It was clear that the people in the bar were no fans of Antoine, saying he was a bit of a cock and had a different girl each night. Q and Fed tried to dig deeper about Louis, but it was a sensitive subject and they didn’t roll well enough for the bartender to reveal anything personal.

To my surprise they drank up and left the bar without making further enquiries. There was still information to get out of the patrons, but they didn’t attempt to press any further. For reference, here’s what other information they could have uncovered:

Spoiler:
- Louis’ house is in the Graden District of New Orleans.

-          Antoine never particularly liked this bar, he only seems to come in to annoy the regulars.

-          He always comes and goes with pretty girls.

-          He prefers tourists/students etc, rather than the native girls.

-          He never has the same girl for more than a week.

-          He’ll pick up any girl he finds attractive, and has started fights with their boyfriends before.

-          He always seem to make angry boyfriends back down with words, it never escalates to violence.

-          No other known family/friends.

-          Always seems to wear the same outfit.

Outside TD, Sah and Raya had decided to dress Ganon up in disguise. This involved a miniature sombrero and a tshirt that said FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCK. TD went afk at this point, so in his absence I decided to sneak a vibrating penis into his backpack. My plan was flawless, until TD returned and pointed out that he had a wireless headset and had heard the entire thing. Damn. Sah, however, didn’t have this luxury when he went afk later and got the same treatment. Everyone’s getting dicks this session.

Relm and Req meanwhile had been scouting out the club, which I imagined to look like the club in Vampire: the Masquerade- Bloodlines. As Req hit the bar and Relm got trapped on the dancefloor, they noticed Antoine with his girls sitting in an upstairs booth. This promptly caused a lot of confusion over what exactly a booth is and what it looks like (apparently my pronunciation makes it sound like I’m talking about boobs Sad). They didn’t seem to be making a move, so the two called for reinforcements.

I elected to stay outside and watch Ganon, and TD decided to wait with me. This actually worked out quite well, as we were the only ones outside without Presence 3+/Barfly, so couldn’t get in without effort anyway. Inside the club the party started debating on their actions. Antoine wasn’t doing anything too suspicious at this point (just chilling with the ladies), so they weren’t quite sure what to do. Sah decided to dance on the table to get him to notice them, and was told by security to get down or get out. After much faffing about and not making much progress, Antoine and his girls decided to leave. The party had by this point rightfully concluded that the jacket was probably the Seal and giving him powers[6], so Fed decided to make his move by ‘accidently’ spilling his drink over it. Antoine was pissed off, locked eyes with Fed and demanded that he pay for it[7]. Fed failed his roll and without thinking handed over the $80 he had in his wallet. Antoine left the club and Fed stood there baffled over what he’d just done. That’s when they realised that Antoine had some kind of mind control powers, and that the girls may be in danger.

About an hour had passed at this point, and the party emerged from the club to find a bored Raya and TD having an inflatable penis fight (I won, I have more dots in Weaponry). The trail seemed to have gone cold, and the players were struggling with what to do. I’d dropped enough hints about checking the records office since they knew his uncle’s name, but they were unwilling to wait until morning as they suspected the girls were in danger. Eventually, since the game was stalling, I had to point out the obvious.

This is the 21st century. People have social media accounts.

The party collectively facepalmed and finally got to use their Computer skill. They managed to track down Antoine’s Facebook account and with not much effort Relm hacked into it. Antoine’s didn’t have many pictures or details about himself[8], and it seemed to mostly be for him to arrange hook ups. After discussing the disturbing implications of how Facebook is capable of tracking your movements, and then accessing that data, the party narrowed down the location of Antoine’s house.

One suspicion that everyone held throughout the game was that Antoine might actually be Baron Samedi, one of the high ranking vodoun Loa of the dead. This of course was nonsense, but thanks to my unhelpful journal page the players had got it into their heads that they needed to mess around with voodoo. So in the morning they decided to split up: Fed, Sah and Req went to the graveyard, everyone else went to Antoine’s house.

Information they would have been able to find out if they’d gone to the records office/done some searching:

Spoiler:
- Antoine isn’t in the phone book, but his uncle is.

-He has no social media presence save his FB account.

-The Garden District neighbourhood is slightly rough, but not too bad.

-Antoine isn’t on the electoral roll.

After cruising down the road Antoine’s FB account pointed to, they found the house likely to be his. It stood by itself and looked lived in, if neglected. The windows were covered by drawn blackout curtains; he obviously didn’t want anybody seeing what was going on inside. The yard was surrounded by a chain link fence, beyond which prowled a guard dog. An alarm was spotted on the side, which was correctly assumed to connect to a security firm. Breaking in without summoning the authorities was going to be tough.

First task: distract the guard dog. For once I actually did something useful and used my Animal Ken to lure and calm down the dog. With him out of the way, Q and Relm took the opportunity to sneak into the building. They sensibly tried the back door, and, finding it unlocked entered the kitchen. It was empty and messy, so they snuck through and peeked into the living room. Despite being daytime, the lights were on due to the windows being covered with the blackout curtains- and, oddly, the windows were boarded up by thick planks on the inside. An Int/Science roll let them deduce that this was a pretty cunning plan; by having the boards on the inside, covered by the curtains, the house was secured without looking derelict and drawing suspicion. But why was Antoine so desperate to protect the house?

The room itself was trashed from the aftermath of the party, and slowly picking up the rubbish was a dishevelled young man. He was moving with the awkward slowness of someone with a terrible hangover. He was pale and thin, and on closer scrutiny his hands were shaking. I asked for an Int/Medicine roll; Relm passed and came to the conclusion the guy looked like an addict. Q failed utterly and came to the conclusion the guy was moving.[9]

Shameful confession here- I very nearly made this guy Viero. I thought it would be hilarious to have him be discovered here as Antoine’s servant, plus it added the dilemma of the party needing to both sneak out and save him. I scrapped it though since it required too much of a suspension of disbelief, for why on earth would Vie be in this random bloke’s house in New Orleans when he lives on the other side of the country. Oh well, maybe people can have cameos some other time.

Q and Relm were hesitant here; although they could see the stairs leading to the upper floor, they didn’t want to alert the cleaner if they failed to sneak past him. So they hatched a scheme: Q left to rejoin TD and make a distraction whilst Relm went upstairs to retrieve the jacket.

Q and TD knocked on the front door, and as the cleaner went to answer it Relm darted upstairs. The cleaner opened the door and found a completely unexpected distraction.

Spoiler:

Posing as religious canvassers, the pair promptly launched into a spiel about how the cleaner should join the Jedi Church and learn the benefits of the Force. The two roleplayed it fully and to the hilt. It was spectacular, it really was.

As the two blathered on for as long as possible, Relm made his way upstairs. The hallway had three doors, all closed. Creeping along, he tried the first door, which lead to the bathroom. Nothing interesting there. Then he tried the second door.

The room beyond was dark, and immediately he was hit by an awful, acrid stench. Not willing to turn on the light, Relm held the torch up on his phone, and in its meagre glare, saw the horrors hiding in the dark.

The room was an abattoir. Blood drenched the floor, corpses hung from hooks and dismembered body parts were strewn everywhere. He had finally discovered what had happened to the girls Antoine took home. Snapping a quick picture for evidence (sadly not a selfie as I imagined) Relm backed hastily out the room and tried the last door.

This room appeared to be the master bedroom, and it looked like Antoine had been enjoying a long night of passion. The man himself was wrapped up in the sheets on the king sized bed, and passed out around the room were various naked ladies. The room stank of sweat and lust, and once again the windows were all boarded up. Luckily, Relm spied a discarded pile of clothing, and in it was the jacket! Creeping across the room he seized it, and on the way out noticed something he hadn’t before: the girl seemingly passed out on the chair had a neck wound and was smeared in blood. Oh dear.[10] Beating a hasty retreat Relm escaped downstairs. Q and TD were still doing their Jedi fast talk and roleplaying it brilliantly. Seeing their comrade escape, they bade farewell and left behind a very confused housekeeper wondering that the hell just happened.

As this was going on, Sah, Req and Fed had gone to visit Louis’ grave, on the suspicion that voodoo was involved. They tracked down his grave and left some of the loa’s favourite offerings: lit cigars and booze. As his companions were doing this Fed went for a wander and was called over by an attractive lady, who had concealed herself behind a mausoleum. He went to investigate and suddenly found a gun muzzle pressed against his stomach.

If the party had spent time asking around after Antoine, they were going to attract the attention of his groupies. By which I mean they were going to mug some of the party in an alley and give them a good beating as a warning to stay away (plus I found the idea of them being beaten up by a gang of sexy ladies hilarious). Since they managed to avoid this, but I didn’t want to waste the encounter, I had them appear here as otherwise the graveyard group would have had nowt to do.

So Fed suddenly found himself being threatened with a gun, told to stop meddling in business that didn’t concern him, and to get out of town. Now Fed could have easily taken her in a fight, but the fact he’d take a bullet to the gut at point-blank range, plus the implication that other groupies were nearby that would attack the unaware Sah and Req, made him agree to give in to her demands. Knowing full well there were several pairs of eyes and muzzles on him, he fetched the others and they beat a hasty retreat.

After all these adventures evening was coming, and the group reconvened at Louis Armstrong Park. Relm produced the jacket and they debated what they should do about it. Since it would be in their bests interests to work out what its power was, Req was volunteered to try it on (on the assumption that if it sent him wibbleshit the others could stop him). So he tried on the jacket…and nothing happened. It fitted him like a glove, and had that comfortable feeling of an old favourite coat. He looked pretty damn awesome in it too. I asked him if he wanted to spend a willpower point to activate it. He said yes.

And here was the true power of the jacket: it gave the wearer mind control over the opposite sex. The wearer makes a Presence/Socialise +2 roll vs the target’s Composure/Resolve. If the wearer succeeds, the target becomes immediately attracted to them and will willingly carry out their bidding. Unfortunately, the only opposite gender member of the party was me. Who promptly failed my roll to resist.

So suddenly Req found an amorous Brit seductively purring into his ear about what he was doing that evening. The party unaminously yelled at him to take the jacket off, which immediately broke the spell and resulted in me dying of mortifying embarrassment that I’d just seriously come on to Req. Deciding that this jacket was dangerous (and that angry groupies wanted us gone), everyone decided to head to the car and get out of here.

(incidently, I was worried that Q would be the person to try on the jacket, as his dice pool for social rolls is insane, and if he had got an exceptional success against me I might very well have jumped him there and then. Awkward.)

As the party made their way down Bourbon St towards the car they heard a loud screech. Further down the street was a disturbance, with someone fighting their way through the crowds and howling “WHERE IS IT?!” Antoine had woken up, discovered he had been robbed of his precious jacket, and he was frantic. And pissed. So very, very pissed off. In a wonderful bit of forethought, Relm took the jacket and sprinted in the direction of the car (he didn’t have the keys or the ability to drive, but that was a bridge to be crossed later). The rest of the party held their ground to buy Relm time as Antoine approached. He locked eyes with them, put two and two together and charged forward, screeching that they were thieves and to give him back his jacket.

Fed stepped up to the plate, shifting into a fighting stance, when something unexpected happened. Antoine’s eyes turned black, his canines lengthened into dagger-like fangs, and he pounced and sank his teeth into Fed’s neck, ripping into it with a spray of blood.

Surprise, Antoine was a vampire! Feel free to go back and read all my footnotes now.

The surrounding crowds went into a panic at the blood and fighting, the fear rippling outwards and soon people were stampeding away from the street in terror. TD, meanwhile, had stampeded into a souvenir shop in terror at this monster suddenly attacking the party. In an attempt to save Fed and atone for my past sin I pulled out the silver letter opener, burnt some willpower, yelled “THIS IS FOR YOU FED!” and stabbed Antoine.

And missed.

Apparently, I’m only capable of doing damage when I’m attacking other party members. Seeing that I was no help at all, Fed kicked Antoine away. As Req went for his gun, Antoine fixed him with a hard stare and used his Mesmerise ability.

“KILL YOUR FRIENDS.”

Req failed the contested roll and did as he was commanded, turning to pull the gun on his friends. Myself and Sah both saw this and frantically tried to disarm him, but since we all have rubbish strength didn’t achieve much. Seeing how things were desperate, TD frantically called Mr White on his phone to beg for help. Mr White agreed to grant them all immunity from Antoine’s mind control, and TD could pay him back later.

During the fight Sah searched his occult knowledge for information on vampires and rolled rubbish. The only things he could remember were that they were weak to three things: silver, sunlight…and fire. As he shouted this out Req, with supreme effort, managed to shake off the mind control. Now that they had a plan, TD came charging out of the shop, grabbing a giant wooden dick on the way out as a weapon. He swung it at Antoine and failed to wound (much to the disappointment of the party, who wanted him to stake him with it). Req however had a better idea…taking the expensive bottle of vodka he’d been carrying, he smashed it over Antoine and set him alight.

Antoine went up in a blazing fireball and the party cheesed it, Q glancing back to see him staggering about, burning to a crisp. With Fed still bleeding heavily from the throat, the party bundled into the car and got the fuck out of dodge.

This wasn’t quite the end of the session though…unknown to the rest of the party, TD still had to repay his debt to Mr White. As this will tie in to something that will happen during the downtime, this will be a story for another day.

So, session review? It was quite refreshing to run something that wasn’t all hack n’ slash. I think the party struggled to get into the swing of investigation, but that was probably because it was a massive change of pace, and also everyone was really tired this session. There was some barking up the wrong tree, but what the party did well was amazing. Relm managing to steal the jacket without raising the alarm and the Jedi outreach programme were fantastic. It also had to be one of the most hilarious sessions yet. Good job everyone!

Also, Fed never got his $80 back.

Spoiler:

[1]This guy, as the party later discovered, was in fact a vampire. Keep that in mind, it explains a lot of his actions.
[2]The guy had 4 dots in the vampiric power Dominate, which allows mind control. He’d actually used the Mesmerise ability on Q to get him to go away, which is an opposed roll. I just made Q roll without explaining exactly what it was, and he actually managed to beat the roll, so the mind control had no effect. He just thought this guy was being a bit forceful.
[3]Another use of Mesmerise.
[4]Antoine and Louis weren’t related; Antoine had been using the Dominate ability Conditioning, which allows the vampire to implant false memories. This was why nobody in the bar had known that Louis had a nephew- he never did.
[5]If Fed had asked to use his medical knowledge here and passed, he could have deduced that these were symptoms of anaemia. Antoine had been draining Louis of blood and the strain had eventually proved too much for the old man’s heart.
[6]Well, partially. He still had all his vampiric mind control, the jacket was just aiding them.
[7]Mesmerise again!
[8]Vampires, of course, don’t show up in photos.
[9]This guy was actually a ghoul, a human slave to a vampire who’s become addicted to vampiric blood. In this case it was a boyfriend of one of Antoine’s victims he was keeping around to guard/clean the house. Although addicts, ghouls have minor vampiric abilities due to imbibing Vitae, so if a fight had kicked off things would have got very nasty for the party.
[10]Antoine had a midnight snack.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Today I DM'd Dungeons and Dragons for the first time (5th edition if you're wondering).

It's kind of a funny story behind why this campaign started. About half a year ago, at NärCon Summer, a few friends and I were playing Once Upon A Time (for those of you who don't know, it's basically a game where you tell stories) and we suddenly realized that the story we were telling took place in Skövde (out of eight players, four of us lived in Skövde at the time, one had lived here earlier and one lives just outside Skövde; leaving only two players with no connection to the town). The setting of the story had been referred to as both a village and a city, which was commented upon and I suddenly realized "It's Skövde!" (because Skövde is basically a small town that wants to be a big city).

Some time later I was thinking about this and suddenly thought that I wanted to create a fantasy setting based on all the silly inside jokes that other Skövdeans and I had come up with (for example, were-cucumbers, coffee-gnomes and the child-throwing horseman). After checking etymology, finding out that "Sködve" is derived from the older "Sködvi" and then creating a Nationstates-version of it and finding out that NS won't accept the letter Ö in nation names, I settled on the name Skodvi.

More recently, I decided that I wanted to run a D&D-campaign in Skodvi, so I fleshed the setting out some more and found some players.
Map:
The map was created using Inkarnate.
Anyway, the players are:

Roger, a chaotic good dwarf barbarian.
Gewanieloristevere (or Gewa for short), a neutral good elf paladin.
Gell, a chaotic good halfling ranger.
Kalitas, a chaotic good tiefling warlock.
Gnaa, a lawful neutral genasi monk.

For the first session, since I don't have much experience running D&D (even though I've got plenty of experience running other systems), I decided to run a pre-made adventure and modify it so that it fit into the setting. Specifically, one called "Rogues in Remballo" (which I changed to "Rogues in Skodvi").

If you're ever going to play Rogues in Remballo this might contain some spoilers:
They all met in a tavern (not very original, but it works) where they overheard the captain of the city guard complaining about a place called "The Four Corners". Because of various legal conundrums, that place wasn't part of the city guard's jurisdiction despite being located in the middle of the city. Now it seemed like a group of criminals were using the Four Corners as their base and the city guard couldn't get to them there. The characters offered to help and the captain directed them to the king's nephew and spymaster Jakob Borg (in the original adventure it's Romero Borgandy, head of the wealthy house Borgandy who are basically in control of Remballo despite not being its official rulers; I considered including house Borgandy, but decided it would take too much power away from the royal family).
At some point the players also found out about a man named Dr. Remora who was living in the Four Corners and might have some connection to the criminals. Since both Kalitas and Remora were working at the university, she had seen him before and knew who he was, but she had never really spoken to him.

Rather than going to talk to Jakob, or at least asking around about the Four Corners (the PDF devotes several pages to the people living in the neighbourhood), they instead decided to knock on the front door and Kalitas tricked the guard into letting them in (aided by magic). They located Remora and talked to him, while Gnaa and Gell sneaked away and explored Remora's home. Kalitas kept the story she had told the guard (she needed his help with something she was working on at the university) and Remora, while surprised that there were strange people in his home, seemed to believe the story until someone mentioned something about the king's nephew and he suddenly attacked. The remaining players killed him and then proceeded to explore. Meanwhile Gnaa and Gell found a secret door which led into another room where they found a man named Rafael who claimed to be held prisoner. While most of the party kept exploring Remora's home, Gnaa and Rafael crossed the courtyard into another building where they encountered a dog who seemed very friendly towards Rafael. Gnaa became suspicious and tried to tie Rafael up. This caused both Rafael and the dog to attack Gnaa. With one HP remaining, Gnaa ran to call for help from the rest of the party. They joined him in the courtyard where the gate guard and another of the criminals also joined the battle. Gnaa was knocked out during the battle, but Roger gave him a potion of healing he had found in Remora's home which woke him up. The party then proceeded to kill Rafael, the dog and the guard. They did however catch the last one alive and interrogated him. He revealed that the Four Corners was used for smuggling of stolen and goods and that they also forged letters of credit from the royal family, had kidnapped Bengt, another nephew of the king, and forced him to sign them. He also revealed that these stolen goods as well as Bengt were kept in the basement which they could reach through a hidden trapdoor.

They then entered the basement, explored some more and found a bulette (land-shark). It was still a kid, so it wasn't quite as dangerous as an adult, but still quite scary. They made their prisoner calm it down and kept exploring. They then encountered two more criminals, both male. At this point Gell's player complained about there not being enough women in the story. I agreed, blamed the writers of the adventure and then proceeded to change the gender of one of the remaining criminals.

Another fight broke out and the land-shark joined the two new bad guys. Since the land-shark probably wouldn't take much to kill most of the party, they were quite fortunate that Roger managed to keep it focused on him. That barbarian is impossible to kill, seriously. However, against the two bandits, Gnaa fell again. So did Gewa and Kalitas. Gell stabilized Gnaa and Gewa. Kalitas rolled a 20 on a death save and woke up. After that, the remaining players (mainly Roger) proceeded to kill the land-shark and the two bandits.

They rested until Gell and Gnaa woke up and then kept exploring the basement. They found Bengt in a cell and rescued him. They then turned their prisoner over to the city guard and reunited Bengt with his family. Gewa suggested to the king that since they had basically conquered the Four Corners, they could avoid similar situations by giving the land to the king if he would grant them ownership of the buildings on the land. The king agreed to this. The party decided to use their new property to open an inn and hire someone to take care of it for them. They now had both a source of income and somewhere to stay for free between adventures.

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Magician's Adviser on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:29 pm

So today I gave 5th edition another try, an honest one. Good old Suicide Angel was running a module, and Dismal (my brother, the Umbreon Guy) and I decided to hop in.

I decided to play a Halfling Monk, which was kind of a no-brainer seeing as how martial arts can go off of dexterity, and halflings get a bonus to dexterity. I chose gladiator for my background, which gave me a trinket. Luck being my lady, I rolled the "small wooden statuette of a smug-looking halfling". Naturally, I decided to flavor this as an action figure of myself that a fan made. Thus began the adventures of Lyle Nettlewine: Premiere street brawler from the Halfling Heartlands

In the party were 6 players

Moe, the LN Elven Paladin
An Unnamed CN Elven Ranger
Mara, the Gnomish Eldritch Knight played the ranger's girlfriend
Lokashi Fire, the CN (race unknown) Sorceress, played by Dismal's girlfriend
Blank, the White Dragonborn Fighter played by Dismal
And yours truly

Dismal and I got dropped in in the middle of a combat (literally) that had started in the previous session, and had landed square on two of the kobolds. So after the combat ended before either of us could do anything, we stopped to observe our surroundings. It was like your average village, except everything was on fire. So after Moe and I saved 6 babies from a burning building (and Moe had saved me from the debris that had collapsed on me), the crew went forth to handle another squad of kobolds that was ransacking the town which our Ranger had so graciously scouted out.

Said squad of kobolds with their two assault drakes were attacking a family of four, one member of the militia named Lynan and her husband and kids. The kobolds were dispatched with ease, and one of the assault drakes met his end at the hands of Blank. The other one had the misfortune of running into Lyle Nettlewine, who punched him. A lot. He was still standing, if only barely. We had hoped Lokashi would end the drake, but had instead talked it into letting her find it something else to eat in . Shame nobody told that poor militia woman, who didn't speak draconic, and thus tried to kill the thing which had just attacked her husband. This did not sit well with the sorceress

Lokashi immediately threw one of her daggers at the candlemaker (Lynan's Husband) but missed by a good twelve inches. Lyle Nettlewine, being the upstanding champion of the people, got up in Lokashi's grill, and gave her one chance to back down before...
ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA
Unfortunately, only one of those four punches landed, but Mara had the wherewithal to chill touch the vengeful spellaster into unconsciousness. I get the feeling this is not the end of the PvP.

After knocking out one of our party members so she wouldn't murder a peasant, we gathered up the surviving villagers and tried to lead them stealthily across the burning wreckage of a village to their community center keep. I The party suggested that our paladin, who was wearing heavy armor and was likely to fail his stealth check, sneak across on the opposite side of the road, to, at best not get our villagers killed, or at worst, cause a distraction so that the villagers could more easily sneak past them. Unfortunately, our little Knight rolled a 7, and screamed at the sight of a bug, smashing the thing with a hammer. Naturally this lead to another fight

This time it wasn't just kobolds, there some humans in leather armor with conspicuously draconic signets on them, which we concluded to be dragon cultists. We cut down all but one of them, who was a fan of Lyle Nettlewine. Lyle had Moe tie her up and bring her with us to the keep, so that Lyle could convince her to leave the cult. If she's a fan of Lyle Nettlwine, she can't be all bad, right?

The Magician's Adviser
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:36 pm

I now have three campaigns running simultaneously, which follow 2 seperate paths. Two working for the lawful neutral peace-keeping aliens and one determined to destroy them. Along with that, Im working on a campaign set in the Star Wars Universe.

Because everything is homebrew I am actually kind of thankful I have a lot of free time on my hands.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrotrap on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Wow... I just glanced through this thread and I find it amazing how much different stuff people have done.
I've played some D&D, but I haven't done any DMing/GMing yet.

My first time was a one-off session as a guest in a campaign that my dad was playing with a group of his friends for 3.5e.  I just drafted up a Drow, Sorcerer with Draconic Heritage so he could breathe fire! Twisted Evil
The DM basically just wrote him in as a sewer dweller who happened to be on the surface as the main party started getting attacked.

My first actual campaign (also in 3.5e) was one based around gladiatorial combat, so it was pretty much all combat with almost no roleplay.  I started off as a human swashbuckler  pirat  who specialized in using the spiked chain weapon, but later switched to picking fighter levels for the bonus feats and since there was a feat I could get that basically let my fighter levels count towards the only decent swashbuckler abilities so there was much point in leveling that anymore.

At college i'm currently in a 2nd edition campaign where our current objective is protecting a woodcutting colony, mainly from goblin attacks as some orc warlord is currently conquering the area to the north.  For this campaign I chose a necromancy specialist (unfortunately as a good character I won't be allowed to raise undead at higher levels but rather my goal is to use my knowledge of necromancy to defeat them).  However, as a level one wizard in 2nd edition in a slow leveling campaign, things are rough.  I got knocked unconscious in the second encounter due to not being used to playing without a board and not staying out of range of arrows, which means I'll have a penalty when we finally get to our first exp session.  I did manage to find myself somewhat useful when fighting one of the colony guards who turned out to be a werewolf by stunning him for a round.  Although since the Color Spray that did that was my last spell for that day and had a short range I basically ran up to the werewolf, sprayed magic into his eyes, and ran away before I could get attacked and probably killed.  Our priest wasn't quite so lucky though. Sad  Anyways with how squishy my character is and since we have another wizard specialist, I'm considering switching to a paladin if my character dies.

There's one more campaign that I haven't played in yet being done by the group of my dad's friends.  I made a character for that before I went back to college this semester and the DM is playing him as an NPC until I come back home for break.  We were limited to only Barbarians, Fighters, Ranger (no magic), and Rogues.  This was the first campaign we I actually rolled for stats and got slightly above average ability scores, but nothing too great.  One of the special rules for this campaign was that only Rogues could learn skill tricks so that slightly incentivized me to go that way.  I basically plan for my character to be a Rogue (with a couple Fighter levels for feats) who specializes in getting sneak attacks with a Crossbow so I wrote out the feats I needed to get upon level up in the notes part of my character sheet so the DM knows what to do until I get back.

I hope to get more involved with D&D and maybe other RPs and I look forward to posting more in here if there's a good story to tell. Very Happy

Pyrotrap
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:36 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 35 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top