14/f/cali wrote:Cool hat.
Wynaut.

The Meta Knight
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Everyone's favorite pokemon

Post  Raya on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:00 am

14/f/cali wrote:Why ride on a dinosaur when you can have a cool hat.
Mr. Eff wrote:Because this dinosaur also shoots lasers.

PTEROSAURS AREN'T DINOSAURS

/palaeobiologist rage

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:17 am

I always liked Far'Fetched. (Or however you speel it... The duck with a leek.)

Don't know why.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shy Guy Red on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:08 am

TheTJ wrote:I always liked Far'Fetched. (Or however you speel it... The duck with a leek.)

Don't know why.
I hear ya there.

Shy Guy Red
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:05 am

Raya wrote:
14/f/cali wrote:Why ride on a dinosaur when you can have a cool hat.
Mr. Eff wrote:Because this dinosaur also shoots lasers.

PTEROSAURS AREN'T DINOSAURS

/palaeobiologist rage

i thought Pterodactyl was a dinosaur...that it was archaeopteryx that was not a dinosaur. my world has been changed yet again i guess. Shocked

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jessica.ninness?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:32 am

DarkFalco wrote:

i thought Pterodactyl was a dinosaur...that it was archaeopteryx that was not a dinosaur. my world has been changed yet again i guess. Shocked

*twitchtwitch*

Lots of people think that pterosaurs are dinosaurs because they lived at the same time, but they're not; instead they're a type of flying reptile that are very distantly related. Calling them dinosaurs is like saying a lion is a type of cow. The origin of pterosaurs is murky because they don't fossilise well, but it's likely that they split from the line that lead to dinosaurs in the Carboniferous, about 300mya.

As a rule of thumb, just remember that there are no flying or swimming dinosaurs!

Archaeopteryx is a bit of an odd one, because it really is a missing link. It's classed as a bird because of its fully-formed feathers, but when a skeleton was found without one it was classed as a dinosaur! Although it's nicknamed the first bird, really you could argue it was a bird or a dinosaur either way. Personally I class it as a very primitive bird. Whether it could fly or not, though...

Feathered dinosaurs and the evolution of birds are my pet subject, as you might have guessed Very Happy

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryssa on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:13 pm

Raya wrote:
DarkFalco wrote:

*twitchtwitch*

Lots of people think that pterosaurs are dinosaurs because they lived at the same time, but they're not; instead they're a type of flying reptile that are very distantly related. Calling them dinosaurs is like saying a lion is a type of cow. The origin of pterosaurs is murky because they don't fossilise well, but it's likely that they split from the line that lead to dinosaurs in the Carboniferous, about 300mya.

As a rule of thumb, just remember that there are no flying or swimming dinosaurs!

Archaeopteryx is a bit of an odd one, because it really is a missing link. It's classed as a bird because of its fully-formed feathers, but when a skeleton was found without one it was classed as a dinosaur! Although it's nicknamed the first bird, really you could argue it was a bird or a dinosaur either way. Personally I class it as a very primitive bird. Whether it could fly or not, though...

Feathered dinosaurs and the evolution of birds are my pet subject, as you might have guessed Very Happy

Like a Star @ heaven I LOVE YOU. Like a Star @ heaven

Maryssa
Rosalina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:53 pm

Raya wrote:
DarkFalco wrote:

*twitchtwitch*

yeah i'm very interested by them as well. i know whenever something about it comes on WSIU i'm always glued to the TV. i <3 stuff like that. i love biology and evolution. hence me even knowing about archaeopteryx. from what i heard it was more of a glider correct? but there have been many arguements over HOW it grew wings. i know they made many models trying to figure that out.

Edit: i'm getting off topic on my own topic! XD oh well....it's kinda pokemon related....dealing with evolution.... Razz

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Maryssa wrote:

Daww, thanks, I do my best Embarassed

DarkFalco wrote:
yeah i'm very interested by them as well. i know whenever something about it comes on WSIU i'm always glued to the TV. i <3 stuff like that. i love biology and evolution. hence me even knowing about archaeopteryx. from what i heard it was more of a glider correct? but there have been many arguements over HOW it grew wings. i know they made many models trying to figure that out.

Edit: i'm getting off topic on my own topic! XD oh well....it's kinda pokemon related....dealing with evolution.... Razz

Careful with what documentaries you watch though; there are a whole load of crap ones regarding natural history. Don't take this as an insult, but I really dislike American nature programs- the makers seem to think the audiences are idiots who need bad CGI and special effects to stay interested rather than just showing nature how it is. I really recommend the Walking With Dinosaurs/Beasts/Monsters series. They're fantastic! I have a soft spot for Prehistoric Park too Laughing

Archaeopteryx is a big puzzle; we still don't know if it could fly or not. If it could, it certainly wasn't a good one. The problem with it gliding though is that it lived in a lagoonal environment with very few tall trees, so it had nothing to glide from! My favourite explanation for this is- and I shit you not- called the Jesus Christ Dinosaur Hypothesis. The idea is that that Archaeopteryx didn't fly, but used its wings to run across the lagoon surface from island to island. The outstretched wings would have given Archaeopteryx just enough lift, so it literally would have walked on water. It's a brilliant image Very Happy

As for how wings evolved, there are two camps- 'trees down' and 'ground up'. Ground up is a load of crap, IMO. We know that dinosaurs had feathers long before birds evolved; they were used for insulation, camoflague and display. Now, let's say you're a dinosaur who lives in a tree, and want to get to the next tree. You could run down your tree and up the next, but that takes a lot of energy. It's easier to just jump. If you have a large surface area compared to your mass, you're able to jump further because your weight is spread out- you essentially start to glide. This is why flying snakes flatten themselves and squirrels have big flat tails. Feathers on the arms do the same thing by increasing the surface area. So long arm feathers become selected for, because the dinosaurs with them can jump further. it gets to the stage where they can fully glide with them. Then all it needs is a few flaps to push the glide further and further, and the glide gradually evolves into flight.

I love explaining natural history. You can see why I want a career in it Laughing

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Raya, amazing!!

not many people know about that stuff, let alone being able to explain it!

you've earned my respect, no doubt

Also, the Archaeopteryx is such a fantastic Mystery. i've been following the developing theories, it's been loads of fun ^^

i'm happy to have found a fellow Dino-freak on this forum. Now to find a Musician that's into Guitar ballads and likes Steve Vai and my this forum is complete!

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matti on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:11 pm

You called.

Matti
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:52 pm

I...don't really know how to respond to the dinosaur 4-1-1, & although it is extremely impressive & written in a well organized form so that even someone like me can understand, I will now start humming the epic Jurassic Park theme. /humming Razz I take it looking this information up on Wikipedia would be moot, Raya?

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Raya wrote:
Maryssa wrote:

Daww, thanks, I do my best Embarassed

DarkFalco wrote:

Careful with what documentaries you watch though; there are a whole load of crap ones regarding natural history. Don't take this as an insult, but I really dislike American nature programs- the makers seem to think the audiences are idiots who need bad CGI and special effects to stay interested rather than just showing nature how it is. I really recommend the Walking With Dinosaurs/Beasts/Monsters series. They're fantastic! I have a soft spot for Prehistoric Park too Laughing

Archaeopteryx is a big puzzle; we still don't know if it could fly or not. If it could, it certainly wasn't a good one. The problem with it gliding though is that it lived in a lagoonal environment with very few tall trees, so it had nothing to glide from! My favourite explanation for this is- and I shit you not- called the Jesus Christ Dinosaur Hypothesis. The idea is that that Archaeopteryx didn't fly, but used its wings to run across the lagoon surface from island to island. The outstretched wings would have given Archaeopteryx just enough lift, so it literally would have walked on water. It's a brilliant image Very Happy

As for how wings evolved, there are two camps- 'trees down' and 'ground up'. Ground up is a load of crap, IMO. We know that dinosaurs had feathers long before birds evolved; they were used for insulation, camoflague and display. Now, let's say you're a dinosaur who lives in a tree, and want to get to the next tree. You could run down your tree and up the next, but that takes a lot of energy. It's easier to just jump. If you have a large surface area compared to your mass, you're able to jump further because your weight is spread out- you essentially start to glide. This is why flying snakes flatten themselves and squirrels have big flat tails. Feathers on the arms do the same thing by increasing the surface area. So long arm feathers become selected for, because the dinosaurs with them can jump further. it gets to the stage where they can fully glide with them. Then all it needs is a few flaps to push the glide further and further, and the glide gradually evolves into flight.

I love explaining natural history. You can see why I want a career in it Laughing

wow just got back to this..yeah i was thinking trees down as well. ground up seems rather stupid. i mean the natural selection would come into play via the ones who jump the farthest live the longest...so that would happen with trees.

but i digress....to tie this up..it can be portrayed in pokemon. they evolve to better suit their environment...(there i think that fixed things up a bit Razz )

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Blaziken.
Infernape is bull.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:35 pm

td260 wrote:Blaziken.
Infernape is bull.
i like you already Smile

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  zoltanben90 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:21 pm

Can i just say the first 151?

zoltanben90
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:58 pm

zoltanben90 wrote:Can i just say the first 151?

are there any other pokemon?

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:52 pm

DarkFalco wrote:
td260 wrote:Blaziken.
Infernape is bull.
i like you already Smile
d^.^b
(thumbs up)

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:22 pm

Ansem wrote:
zoltanben90 wrote:Can i just say the first 151?

are there any other pokemon?

funny

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:11 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top