Obscure and unreleased games

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Obscure and unreleased games

Post  SnowDono on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:28 am

Everybody knows that there's some games that don't make it to your store shelves. Maybe the beta testers saw it, maybe there was footage, maybe it was just plain Duke Nukem Forever. Sometimes, you can stumble across some collector that's ripped it or dumped it or whatever, sometimes you just see a mention of an unreleased translation of the original Mother in your Nintendo Power or whatever.

Sometimes, it's just a game nobody else has played. Maybe it gained eventual infamy for being epically bad, maybe it was really good but it never caught on for some reason.

I figure I can start this discussion off with a little footage. Anybody here hear about Starfox 2? Probably not. It was never released because the SNES was nearing the end of its lifespan, and they figured it wouldn't sell. Parts of it went into future games, but there's elements that still haven't been implemented.

There's plenty of footage around YouTube, but this should whet your appetite:

Anybody else got any favorites? Things they remember seeing ads for but never cartridges? Stuff that never made it overseas but really totally should have? Hilarious bootlegs from Hong Kong and Brazil?

SnowDono
Toad Thug

View user profile http://kowaiyukidono.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Obscure and unreleased games

Post  Magypsy on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:30 am

Earthbound 64. I remember reading up about it in Nintendo Power but it never came.

Magypsy
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnowDono on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:36 am

I'll have to see what I can find on Earthbound 64. I think this is the first time I've heard of it personally. Were there any screenshots, or was it a text blurb?

SnowDono
Toad Thug

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:41 am

Didn't that later become Mother 3, I remember some 3D snapshots of Lucas and Salsa, man they looked weird.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Magypsy on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:47 am

EB64 pretty much got delayed into oblivion.
And yes it did eventually become what is now known as MOTHER 3.

You could also say that Starfox 2 is basically Starfox Command for the DS. Same gameplay styles.

Magypsy
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:27 am

I remember getting battletanks for the n64, a title pretty much no one heard off from this side of the ocean. Each tank model played diffrent, the power-ups where insane, so it was the third person shooter of choise for us to play on n64.

and finally getting the nuke to blow up everything on the map was so satisfying

I couldnt care less about the storyline when I was a kid, but to sum things up; because of a virus there's only 1 woman left, for every 1.000.000 man. and you thought your lovelife was worthless. So what else to do then jump in a tank and secure as much women as possible, or maybe thats just me Razz

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:59 am

Battletanks was awesome! Haven't played that in forever. I didn't even know it had a story line. I just remember going over to my friends and blowing shit and each other up. Good times...

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MENTOK the MINDTAKER on Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:31 am

Have to admit, when I saw the first word "Obscure" in the title along with the rest of it I thought you literally meant the game "Obscure" which.. was a strange game, no idea what the squeakel was like.

MENTOK the MINDTAKER
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnowDono on Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:39 am

MENTOK the MINDTAKER wrote:Have to admit, when I saw the first word "Obscure" in the title along with the rest of it I thought you literally meant the game "Obscure" which.. was a strange game, no idea what the squeakel was like.

I could have placed my capitalization more carefully, but it was getting to ohshit o'clock and I'm still not thinking entirely clearly. Very Happy

Never played Obscure itself. Played the sequel, have no idea how similar it is to the original, but I found it hard of the "stupidly" sort. Not a challenge so much as it is a Nethack level of "doesn't care if you see the ending or not." It's been collecting dust for a couple years, now. We picked it up because it had a cooperative mode, and I am always looking for excuses to play with other people, as opposed to against.

SnowDono
Toad Thug

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:33 am

Captain Rainbow wat

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnowDono on Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:51 am

Fobbs McCloud wrote:Captain Rainbow wat

Huh. I've heard of this one, but not by title. Someone was giggling over the continued "Birdo: Male or Female?" hemicontroversy. I'd love to see it come out translated, but there's several reasons that won't happen. Most of those reasons are "Birdo" but there's others.

Ghoul School. It's obscure. It deserves to be obscure. It's pretty awful, really, with buggy controls, major glitches, and items advertised in the manual that even the creator thinks may well have been left out. Like a lot of overambitious stinkers, there's actually a pretty head-scratching story behind it that makes you wonder what the hell they were thinking. You should totally look up a walkthrough or see if you can find it.

And then, you may curse me for ever bringing your attention to it.

SnowDono
Toad Thug

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:13 pm

The Dig by LucasArts. Dear God I love this game, but I've only met one person in my entire life that's played it.

Scientists have detected a meteorite on a collision course for Earth, so they drag veteran shuttle pilot Boston out of retirement and send him up with a meteorologist and a journalist to plant a bomb on it to blast it into a stable orbit. When they land on the surface, they discover that the meteor is not only hollow, but artificial. Accidently triggering a mechanism, they are hurled across space and land on an alien planet they nickname Cocytus. The island they land on appears to be some sort of welcoming facility for visitors, but there's no sign of the aliens anywhere. Aside from a few escaped genetically modified horrors, they're trapped alone on a dead planet. Well, not entirely alone...every now and again ghosts appear, and they realise that they're the lost shades of the aliens. But are they trying to help the crew, or are they just using them or their own ends?

The Dig's an adventure game, and the main aim is to figure out what disaster befell Cocytus and to find a way home. It's hugely atmospheric, with all the creepy ruins of an dead civilisation. The crew start to fragmentate (with the meteorologist eventually going batfuck insane), and as you start to figure out the alien technology you piece together what happened to the Cocytians...maybe technology isn't a good thing. Plus it's funny as well. Boston is cyncial and never wanted to be there in the first place, so he's always making dry comments. At one point, for no reason whatsoever, he goes on a huge rant about a sandwich.

Now I'm so tempted to dig out (no pun intended) my copy and replay it. Damn, The Dig's a fantastic game. Go play it!

Last edited by Raya on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:14 pm

Okami......PLAY IT NOW

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Ico.
Shadow of the Colossus.

Seriously. They are friggin' masterpieces but still pretty much no one has played them.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Magypsy on Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:16 pm

Spontaneous Combustion wrote:Ico.
Shadow of the Colossus.

Seriously. They are friggin' masterpieces but still pretty much no one has played them.

What what what?! Any gamer who is any gamer who has any decent taste in games should have heard or played Shadow of Colossus by now. Its even getting its own movie!

Magypsy
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnowDono on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Okami is one that I got recommended to me through friends that played the demo, picked up the game as soon as it came out, store employees, various others. It was sold out the first couple times we went looking for it, actually. Everybody was like "You'll be so good at it, you're an artist!" and all I could do was stare funny. (Note: Because a friend is an artist does not mean they will be any good at games that require quick reflexes and muscle memory. Fortunately, I have halfway decent reflexes and excellent muscle memory.)

I might check for The Dig, I think I know where I can get my hands on it. I was more of a Sierra person when text parsers were being phased out, but LucasArts is reliably good and I've been studying their gameplay-and-storytelling style for a while, now, and seeing where it departed from verb clouds. I loved Maniac Mansion, and the lesser-known but epic good-times Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. I had to get a guidebook for some of the latter when I was a kid, and still have not beaten the former to date.

SnowDono
Toad Thug

Back to top Go down

Post  Innotech on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:16 am

Okami is totally awesome and I bought a copy for PS2 and Wii because its just that good.
However, I pretty much hated SOTC because of how it controls and I kind of found it boring.
a really obscure (and frankly not very good) game I somehow ended up owning was a N64 game called Armorines. It was a FPS game with alien bugs that reminded me all too much of Starship Troopers. In fact, I called the game "Starship Troopers: the videogame" for that reason. The bugs all looked exactly the same as the movie, and the bugs lair designs were actually pretty damned cool and alien for its time. I guess it wasnt really that horrible, and it was damned hard. If you want a challenging FPS for the N64 (though I cant imagine why youd want one at this point other than collectabilitY) then try this one out.

http://n64media.ign.com/media/previews/image/armorines4_640w.jpg

Innotech
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnowDono on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:21 am

I kinda' happen to be a retro gamer, so games that other folk might consider "collectible" are my preferred fare. So I'll possibly go look for that one. (I'm not a snob, I just think people were more creative when the systems were more limited. I also don't handle modern 3D graphics well, so I'm actually very interested in an N64 FPS.)

I also happen to cohabitate with at least one Starship Troopers fan, so if I can find this without his knowledge, I will... Well, Christmas is past. So, um. I'll make up another gift-giving occasion for the event.

SnowDono
Toad Thug

Back to top Go down

Post  Innotech on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:21 am

SnowDono wrote:I kinda' happen to be a retro gamer, so games that other folk might consider "collectible" are my preferred fare. So I'll possibly go look for that one. (I'm not a snob, I just think people were more creative when the systems were more limited. I also don't handle modern 3D graphics well, so I'm actually very interested in an N64 FPS.)

I also happen to cohabitate with at least one Starship Troopers fan, so if I can find this without his knowledge, I will... Well, Christmas is past. So, um. I'll make up another gift-giving occasion for the event.

Heres a bit of gameplay from the first/2nd levels to give you an idea. This isnt the bug world areas though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8mA3v3EPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRaUD1FXG9s

Innotech
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseppi on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:49 am

Spontaneous Combustion wrote:Ico.
Shadow of the Colossus.

I loved Ico. My only gripe was that it was far to short. I think I beat it in 7 hours altogether. But damn was it amazing.

One obscure game I use to have was Seaman. That was a weird game. You talk to a fish that had a man's head. It started out as a tadpole, then it evolved into a fish, and then a frog. But it always had a human head. And he could really be an asshole sometimes.

Joseppi
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile http://zippygamer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:58 pm

i remember hearing of a Metriod 64 but that never happened

also Halo DS... I'd play it

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Apparantly, there was supposed to be a Final Fantasy 64. It's supposed to be a reskinned version of FF6.

Spoiler:

I also remember that there was supposed to be a Kirby's Air Ride on the N64 as well

Spoiler:

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattox on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:40 pm

I recall several Sonic the Hedgehog games that were planned but axed at various points.

There was also a Dreamcast version of Half-Life that was into beta before it was cancelled, solely because Sony asked Valve to ax it. And by asked I mean payed.

Mattox
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyJinx on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:36 am

I would've loved EB64 =/

I've watched a playthrough of SF2. I wonder it never got released...

JonnyJinx
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:28 am

JonnyJinx wrote:I would've loved EB64 =/

I've watched a playthrough of SF2. I wonder it never got released...
it's the Holy grail of unreleased games it was 100% finished when it was pulled

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:52 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top