FFVIII > FFVII??? Also other Final Fantasy discussion.

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FFVIII > FFVII??? Also other Final Fantasy discussion.

Post  katorishintaro on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:07 am

I've played through both of these games, and I keep asking myself, "Why is there so much hype over Final Fantasy VII?" I did some researching, and came up with a hypothesis. Before release, Squaresoft really pumped up final fantasy VII out the ass. I mean...they had shirts, hats, action figures, collectables, and, I wouldn't be surprised, lunch boxes. I believe that because it was the first to use fully 3D polygons and put you in a three dimensional world that everybody fell in love with the game. A couple of years later, when Final Fantasy VIII came out, people were still getting off on VII, and VIII didn't have a fraction of the advertisment that VII got. If VIII would have had Sephiroth as a secret boss (like Omega Weapon) and the Materia system, VIII would have sky-rocketed like VII. I'm not putting Final Fantasy VII down in anyway. I'm just trying to give VIII some credit where it is due. I was reading through Game Informer's top 200 games of all time. Final Fantasy VII was in the top 50, and Final Fantasy VIII didn't even make it on the list! I was like WTF?!!!1!1 The fact that I played through VIII before VII probably helps contribute to the fact that I favor VIII over VII, but I'm not trying to look at this from a fanboy perspective. As far as story, graphics, music, gameplay (LOVE THE JUNCTION SYSTEM), and characters go... I got to go with VIII.

What do you guys think???

p.s.

Sorry if this upsets VII fanatics. Wink

Last edited by katorishintaro on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more variety of discussion)

katorishintaro
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FFVIII > FFVII??? Also other Final Fantasy discussion.

Post  Arek The Absolute on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:18 am

katorishintaro wrote:The fact that I played through VIII before VII probably helps contribute to the fact that I favor VIII over VII

^This is pretty much it right here. The game you played first will have a more nostalgic feeling than those you play after it *usually*. This blinds you and forces your mind into thinking it is far more awesome than it really is. I have this problem with Mystic Quest, myself. I keep remembering such fond memories of the game, yet every single time I go back to play it, I remember that the only real awesome thing about it is just the music.

Spoiler:
By the way, 8's story was beyond horrible. It was a shitstorm of what the fuck. 7 doesn't get off the hook either with it's main villain having an oedipus complex and the main hero being an angsty faggot.

This will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Arek The Absolute
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katorishintaro on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:22 am

I've always been a fan of WTF plot twists so that may be it. Still thou I think VIII did deserve some credit for what it was.

katorishintaro
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arek The Absolute on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:23 am

far less wtf plot twists and more why the fuck did they even think that was a good idea to add to the story

But, of course, this is just my opinion. If you love it, then that is cool. To each, their own.

katorishintaro wrote:Still thou

Mr. Thou! Mr. Thou!

Last edited by Arek The Absolute on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Arek The Absolute
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katorishintaro on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:26 am

ehhh it's all a matter of opinion in the end. So what were moments in VIII that you didn't like?

katorishintaro
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arek The Absolute on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:29 am

Mind if I say "all of it?"

Interestingly enough, I did, for some strange reason, like the junction system. If they tweaked it so that you didn't get penalized for casting by having the max you could junction be 50 instead of 100, then it would be something I wouldn't mind seeing in another game.

Arek The Absolute
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katorishintaro on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:36 am

I'd say the dual love story along with the junction system helped me like VIII over VII. Although Squall is a fucking emo in the beginning. And I agree completely about what you said about cloud. Also If you do use the magic that you have junctioned it will take away from your stats depending on which is junctioned. Also, If your GF got K.O.'ed then you should have lost the stats that was connected with that GF.

katorishintaro
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arek The Absolute on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:47 am

katorishintaro wrote:I'd say the dual love story along with the junction system helped me like VIII over VII.

I didn't like the materia system from 7 all too much. It was fun at first, but it became a hassle later on when you gained so many different materia and your weapons limited what you could add on.

I didn't like how both game's systems allowed for every character to be basically the fucking same. There was no reason choosing one over the other except for which limit break you preferred.

And the dual love story was nothing but absolute cheese and bullshit. It was as if some teenager coming out of the 8th grade wrote it for a fanfic contest.

Again, personal opinion, so please don't think I am attacking you yourself with that Smile

katorishintaro wrote:

Although Squall is a fucking emo in the beginning.

And a fucking idiot the rest of the way through. "I love you rinoa" *hands her over* "I want rinoa back" *hands her over*

What a fucking twat.

He makes Selphie look like a non-adhd suffering, emotionally stable, genius.

And don't even get me started on Selphie's troped out ass...
katorishintaro wrote:
Also If you do use the magic that you have junctioned it will take away from your stats depending on which is junctioned.

I know, which is why I said that if they changed the max junction from 100 to 50, allowing us to cast without any penalty or worry since we would have 50 extra left over, then I would be more than happy to see the junction system brought back for a game or two.

Arek The Absolute
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katorishintaro on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:30 am

surprised to see that no one else had a comment to write about this. I know some people that can argue for hours about this topic lol.

katorishintaro
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matti on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:06 am

I hate you even more now.

Matti
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katorishintaro on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:12 am

lol who was that to? rofl! wow that was random

katorishintaro
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arek The Absolute on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:13 am

Matti wrote:I hate you even more now.

Come now, you can't go and say that without giving some supporting reasons as to why.

Spoiler:
i was worried that this thread was going to get mighty boring fast with no arguing going on

Arek The Absolute
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Hmm.... I agree with VIII having the most WTF plotline. I mean...
Spoiler:
There were like, 5 different scorceresses, most of which wanted to destroy time. Then their big plan to stop the future scorceress from collapsing time was to LET her collapse time and fight her. That makes negative sense.

Also, the draw system was a pain, moving around took forever, And there was no way in hell Squall could find Rinoa, Catch her, and find a nearby empty SPACESHIP in the vast emptiness of space. At least, not without an infinite improbability drive.

Now, the characterization was good on VIII sometimes, But Squall was a lot more "Emo" than cloud for a lot less reason. Cloud had his identity shattered and had no idea who he was, what he did know was random, and Squall? Squall's just anti-social.

So yeah... VII > VIII. But VI trumps all.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:30 pm

8 Has better music.

That is all.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseppi on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:31 pm

Thew whole card system turned me off on VIII.

Joseppi
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile http://zippygamer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ElderOfNar on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:42 pm

Personally I love 8 as my fav FF of all time.

But to say that 8 is better then 7, WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?!?

ElderOfNar
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:46 pm

Weed I assume.

VI is my favorite. I know I've said it 20+ times, but darn it all, that just isn't enough!

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ElderOfNar on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:15 pm

TheTJ wrote:Weed I assume.

VI is my favorite. I know I've said it 20+ times, but darn it all, that just isn't enough!

Very good game btw

ElderOfNar
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arek The Absolute on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:12 pm

My favorite is 9, followed very closely by 6, then there is a huge gap between those and the other installments of the series.

inb4manthong

Arek The Absolute
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katorishintaro on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:25 am

Arek The Absolute wrote:My favorite is 9, followed very closely by 6, then there is a huge gap between those and the other installments of the series.

inb4manthong

I found it hard to get into 9 for some reason...probably because it was too much of a right turn from 8. I've always wanted to play 6 but I've never been able to get my hands on a copy. Hope they release it for the Virtual Console Very Happy

katorishintaro
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:37 am

katorishintaro wrote:
Arek The Absolute wrote:My favorite is 9, followed very closely by 6, then there is a huge gap between those and the other installments of the series.

inb4manthong

I found it hard to get into 9 for some reason...probably because it was too much of a right turn from 8. I've always wanted to play 6 but I've never been able to get my hands on a copy. Hope they release it for the Virtual Console Very Happy

Not likely.... at ALL.

No, your best bet would be to look for a copy of FFVI Advance. They did a really good job and the only differences are in load times (Better on GBA), and the removal of an awesome glitch.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katorishintaro on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:39 am

TheTJ wrote:Hmm.... I agree with VIII having the most WTF plotline. I mean...
Spoiler:
There were like, 5 different scorceresses, most of which wanted to destroy time. Then their big plan to stop the future scorceress from collapsing time was to LET her collapse time and fight her. That makes negative sense.

Also, the draw system was a pain, moving around took forever, And there was no way in hell Squall could find Rinoa, Catch her, and find a nearby empty SPACESHIP in the vast emptiness of space. At least, not without an infinite improbability drive.

Now, the characterization was good on VIII sometimes, But Squall was a lot more "Emo" than cloud for a lot less reason. Cloud had his identity shattered and had no idea who he was, what he did know was random, and Squall? Squall's just anti-social.

So yeah... VII > VIII. But VI trumps all.

Well about the spaceship thing....I mean....it is a fantasy game.... It's not called Final Realism....so I don't see how you could knock that. I can't say how many times I've seen a summon come out of the sky and somehow finds itself inside a cave or underground where you are fighting. I've never questioned it; just accepted it. lol

Spoiler:
It was all ultimecia in the beginning, even with Edea and Rinoa. Ultimecia was possessing them, but you never could figure out why until the end of the game Shocked They also let time collapse because even though that was what ultimecia wanted to do. It took her advantage away. Before she was attacking them in the past by possessing other sorceresses. Now that time collapsed they could actually get to her. So I would say it made perfect sense. A necessary sacrifice if you would.

I guess you got to get used to the draw system too. It's not as annoying to me as going around killing monsters continuously for LP in XII lol.

katorishintaro
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:45 am

Well, I mean, even hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy says this is a mindboggling cooincidence.

The odds it gives to being found in space in 30 seconds is 2 to the power of 276709 to 1 against.

Sure, they have a little bit longer, but it's still ridiculous in ANY medium.

Also
Spoiler:
I've played FFVIII most of the way through... but I'm a bit confused at the ending... OK, say the kill Ultimecia after she collapses time. What then? Fix time? How? It's not like time was waiting to snap back into place.

The argument that they should let her collapse time is like saying "OK, she's attacking us from the afterlife, so the only way to defeat her is to let her kill us..."

It's lose-lose for them.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katorishintaro on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 am

TheTJ wrote:Well, I mean, even hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy says this is a mindboggling cooincidence.

The odds it gives to being found in space in 30 seconds is 2 to the power of 276709 to 1 against.

Also
Spoiler:
I've played FFVIII most of the way through... but I'm a bit confused at the ending... OK, say the kill Ultimecia after she collapses time. What then? Fix time? How? It's not like time was waiting to snap back into place.

The argument that they should let her collapse time is like saying "OK, she's attacking us from the afterlife, so the only way to defeat her is to let her kill us..."

It's lose-lose for them.

Spoiler:
Ultimecia Was trying to use Ellone to make her collapse time by bringing ultimecia's thoughts to the past. if Ultimecia was possessing another then Ellone would have to have used her ability on two people, thus creating that time paradox. With Ultimecia dead Ellone's mind warp fades because ultimecia's dead. So time starts going back. Things are getting shuffled and rearranged and that is when Squall and the others get lost momentarily.

Also I think you are going into the statistics a little too hard. What are the statistics that someone with clouds phisique could carry a Buster Sword like that without a counter weight on the handle??? There are many things in final fantasy that just don't need to be put to statistics.

katorishintaro
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:05 am

katorishintaro wrote:
TheTJ wrote:Well, I mean, even hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy says this is a mindboggling cooincidence.

Also
Spoiler:

It's lose-lose for them.

Spoiler:
Ultimecia Was trying to use Ellone to make her collapse time by bringing ultimecia's thoughts to the past. if Ultimecia was possessing another then Ellone would have to have used her ability on two people, thus creating that time paradox. With Ultimecia dead Ellone's mind warp fades because ultimecia's dead. So time starts going back. Things are getting shuffled and rearranged and that is when Squall and the others get lost momentarily.

Also I think you are going into the statistics a little too hard. What are the statistics that someone with clouds phisique could carry a Buster Sword like that without a counter weight on the handle??? There are many things in final fantasy that just don't need to be put to statistics.

OK, you have to admit that's pretty weird though. Even for a video game.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top