Well holy shit.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Well holy shit.

Post  Longstreth on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:42 pm

If I felt the need to find the website, find the forum, register, and activate my account all for an internet fan film, then trust me when I say I'm impressed.
Now, when I first saw a link and some screenshots I thought maybe somebody had ripped off the old Nintendo animated fan film "Nintendo: Oldschool Revolution".
(http://www.spike.com/video/nintendo-oldschool/2686716)
Yep, that was ME. It's really rough but it was our first real attempt at filmmaking. It got millions of hits and all of these hardcore gamers were praising it or hating it... but no matter what side of the fence they were on, they were passionate. It sort of asked the viewer to choose a side and it obviously leaned toward Nintendo being the "good guy". "There Will Be Brawl" isn't as black and white or as tapped into a real message, but that's just a difference of style. Honest to God, I just watched the first episode of "Brawl" and I felt incredibly PROUD for the filmmakers. Ya know, there are so many "fan films" out there. I've done a few myself but I'm happy to say I'm done with that genre, if that's what you want to call it. We pumped out "Batman's Gonna Get Shot in the Face" and our finale fan film, "The Greatest Fan Film of All Time". Now if it sounds like I'm being a shamless self-promoter, just hear me out.

You guys are fucking awesome. I will not lie or bs. 99.99% of fan films are horrible and would be considered unwatchable if they didn't feature characters that nerds drool over simply because they're on screen. I prided myself on being one of the few who did it right and had a "voice" to go along with my appreciation of the characters. Fiorella's fan film "Grayson" is another... but the list is very, very short. You guys have something really special. Honest-to-God storytelling skills. That's very rare. I flaunted my animated fan film as being "the greatest fan film of all time" (that's the title, after all) but if somebody told me your's was better, I wouldn't argue. Much.

Great job and good luck with wherever you go.

Larry Longstreth

p.s. "Batman's Gonna Get Shot in the Face" is here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4920450965711960867#

and "The Greatest Fan Film of All Time" can be seen right here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7pw7l_the-greatest-fan-film-of-all-time_shortfilms

Last edited by Longstreth on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Longstreth
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Well holy shit.

Post  Warchamp7 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Ah, I've seen this video before. Good stuff.

However, I will say I like TWBB more.

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyJinx on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:06 am

That was pretty cool. I like Halo though. D=

JonnyJinx
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseppi on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:00 am

I remember watching that a few years back. I forgot all about it.

Joseppi
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile http://zippygamer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Queeny on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:31 am

Wow, that was actually pretty good. Especially the part where luigi had said : " when we sacrifice gameplay for blood and perverseness" Looking past the visuals I think that's something promising.
Although the people that hate it would probably be hardcore sony/xbox fans.. But I liked it none the less.

Queeny
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Longstreth on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:14 am

My girlfriend looked at me like I was a creep as I watched episode 1. She could hear Princess and Mario going at it, Mario telling Wario "fuck you", etc. I told her "Trust me, you'll dig it."

Longstreth
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hiroshi Mishima on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Yes, the scene at the beginning of Mario & Peach almost made me turn it off. But I perservered and I am glad I did, or I'd have missed out on this awesome and incredible series. I think some of the stuff in the first episode was just them having trouble establishing things, which isn't uncommon for a new series or even a movie that plans to have sequals.

Hiroshi Mishima
Riff Raff

View user profile http://www.zebeth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Hiroshi Mishima wrote:Yes, the scene at the beginning of Mario & Peach almost made me turn it off. But I perservered and I am glad I did, or I'd have missed out on this awesome and incredible series. I think some of the stuff in the first episode was just them having trouble establishing things, which isn't uncommon for a new series or even a movie that plans to have sequals.

Funny you were turned off.... I was quite the opposite.... Basketball

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hiroshi Mishima on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 pm

Well while I admit that getting to spend quality time like that with Katherine Steel isn't something I can fault anyone for, in terms of sex and sexuality in video games, I really think it's one of those circumstantial issues. I just don't see a place for it in a lot of video games and find it rather unwelcome most of the time.

I just don't really care much for showing a lotta sex or gratuitous skin in stuff unless it really benefits the story, scene, or what have you. In general sex in shows and movies just turns me off. I know that's kinda weird, and I think my explanation is really confusing, I gave myself a headache reading the first paragraph...

Hiroshi Mishima
Riff Raff

View user profile http://www.zebeth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Hiroshi Mishima wrote:Well while I admit that getting to spend quality time like that with Katherine Steel isn't something I can fault anyone for, in terms of sex and sexuality in video games, I really think it's one of those circumstantial issues. I just don't see a place for it in a lot of video games and find it rather unwelcome most of the time.

I just don't really care much for showing a lotta sex or gratuitous skin in stuff unless it really benefits the story, scene, or what have you. In general sex in shows and movies just turns me off. I know that's kinda weird, and I think my explanation is really confusing, I gave myself a headache reading the first paragraph...

I completely understand, I am the exact same way. I was just shitting around. What I lack in language morality (Fuck shit piss) and Bluntness, I make up in with sexual innuendo. I feel extremely uncomfortable with those kinds of things. Don't get me started with ZS Samus in Brawl. But yea, despite all I just said, Peach was kinda hot.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:26 pm

The series is good and all, but I usually recommend that people at least watch it through episode 3 or 4, that's when, imo, it starts to pick up. I was pretty drawn in by just the beginning monologue, with Luigi describing the state of the kingdom around him, but I would be hard pressed to say I didn't find the sex scene a tad awkward.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MagnusXavier on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:26 am

I had no problem with the sex scenes. I mean we're all adults right? and at the end of the day TWBB isn't a game (yet), it's a drama/parody based on one. It has the tone of something along the lines of sin city so why should they keep nintendo's morales?

Hiroshi Mishima wrote:I just don't really care much for showing a lotta sex or gratuitous skin in stuff unless it really benefits the story, scene, or what have you.

I personally felt that the sex scenes added to the scenes as we saw Luigi's inner turmoil, and without them the scene between Kirby and Luigi in episode 7 wouldn't have had as much of an impact because you remember the awkwardness when he walked in on maz and peach and then the awkwardness after they had sex themselves. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you mean about sex scenes in games and movies, but I felt in this case they had a significant part, and to be honest I think they weren't half as bad as they could have been.

MagnusXavier
Corrupt Officer

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/Hellfireclub.spidermonkey?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnowDono on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:33 am

MagnusXavier wrote:I personally felt that the sex scenes added to the scenes as we saw Luigi's inner turmoil, and without them the scene between Kirby and Luigi in episode 7 wouldn't have had as much of an impact because you remember the awkwardness when he walked in on maz and peach and then the awkwardness after they had sex themselves. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you mean about sex scenes in games and movies, but I felt in this case they had a significant part, and to be honest I think they weren't half as bad as they could have been.

Well, yes. But that's a payoff that doesn't hit until later. Until the payoff, it seems a little gratuitous and like an attempt to be "edgy". There's no obvious foreshadowing at that point that says "this will be important to character development later". There's just a few sex scenes in relatively rapid succession. I can see why it would be a turnoff.

Personally I laughed my guts out.

SnowDono
Toad Thug

View user profile http://kowaiyukidono.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:50 am

SurgePox wrote:The series is good and all, but I usually recommend that people at least watch it through episode 3 or 4, that's when, imo, it starts to pick up. I was pretty drawn in by just the beginning monologue, with Luigi describing the state of the kingdom around him, but I would be hard pressed to say I didn't find the sex scene a tad awkward.

My thoughts exactly. When I first watched it was like, "This is pretty nice.." *Luigi opens the door* "WHAT THE F-... awkward...."

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:52 am

I'm with the guys who didn't mind and/or liked the sex scenes. In my eyes, it made it all look more real-like.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:58 am

I didn't mind it, it was just awkward the first time.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:35 am

First thing that came to my mind was: "Would you look at that, Mario finally got the damn cake."

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyJinx on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:18 pm

I get what everyone's saying about sex in films and games and stuff. There's a rather gratuitous sex scene at the beginning of ACII, then an implied gangbang later on. In this particular instance though, I lol'd. I'm not sure the whole thing is completely infitting with TWBB Peach's character, especially later in the series, but it sets up what TWBB is quite nicely, is pretty funny and adds some important depth to the characters.

JonnyJinx
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Really, I don't see what the fuss is about with the sex scenes. Yeah, they are awkward. (Most likely intentional) No, they aren't graphic in any way. I've seen worse in a frickin' Lost episode.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:49 pm

really, sex scene's can add a little more personality to the characters. Hell, if you played mass effect a little seriously it actually makes sense shepard and X have sex cause they've been building a relation. The whores from GTA are more to create the bad-neighbourhood kinda feel etc.
Sure, there are also games where the sexscene's are completly unesecary. Not to mention those japanese sex-sims

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Yeah, I just laughed when I saw it.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:07 pm

I think the big problem for some people is that we've known Mario and Peach for 20-30 odd years and all that time they've been adults. It's like walking in on your parents. Sure, you knew academically they must do it, but that still doesn't prepare you.

As for me, I just thought it lent the Kingdom a more "Sin City" kind of enviorment.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:43 pm

TheTJ wrote:I think the big problem for some people is that we've known Mario and Peach for 20-30 odd years and all that time they've been adults. It's like walking in on your parents. Sure, you knew academically they must do it, but that still doesn't prepare you.

As for me, I just thought it lent the Kingdom a more "Sin City" kind of enviorment.

I thought the point was that she didn't. Mario never gets any, she gets kidnapped, he rescues her, and once again he doesn't get any. Razz

I was just amused at how her crown stayed on.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:05 pm

queen_camilla wrote:
TheTJ wrote:I think the big problem for some people is that we've known Mario and Peach for 20-30 odd years and all that time they've been adults. It's like walking in on your parents. Sure, you knew academically they must do it, but that still doesn't prepare you.

I thought the point was that she didn't. Mario never gets any, she gets kidnapped, he rescues her, and once again he doesn't get any. Razz

I was just amused at how her crown stayed on.

This too.

Also, when we were introduced to Mario in TWBB he was... *Ahem* "Getting some".

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:45 am

Well, yeah, it's a subversion of normality. A lot of TWBB subverts the 'norm'. And yet it still adheres to it, somewhat.

It's why I love it. (well, that and the fact that it's awesome)

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top