Ask Me A TWBB Related Question

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ask Me A TWBB Related Question

Post  lilMac on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:02 pm

SnowDono wrote:This is a storytelling geek question. Fair warning.

Film noir hasn't been done the old Hayes Code way for a while. There's a lot of storytelling elements that are so old they're new at this point, things people don't know about or pay attention to. Now, you did a lot of senseless death near the end, and most of it was pretty classic noir storytelling, which is what drew my attention to Mario's survival.

I'm not complaining, it just stood out to me, in the middle of this story that would have fit in during the Bogart era (if you take out the video game/supernatural elements, at least) that one of the biggest death knells didn't play through. (He decided to clean up. That is usually about when you know the angry guy is going to die horribly.) So I'd like to know, from a storyteller's perspective, why did you choose to let Mario live?

I think Link was the one who filled that role. A drunk and out of it chief of police who was down on his luck and couldn't catch a break, finally decides to turn it around and rescue the one he loves only then to be killed moments later. I think that was Links role to fill, doing something similar again with Mario would be just weird.

lilMac
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MENTOK the MINDTAKER on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Fetts wrote:So were all Gdubs suppose to be evil demons or were there some good ones too (i.e the bartender at falcon's place). Or were they just biding their time?
I'm curious as to whether they were biding their time or something (either obvious, subtle or behind the scenes) had set them off. Zach?

MENTOK the MINDTAKER
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iliad on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Why were Link and Zelda killed off so trivially? Fanboy-ism or not. Isn't it a little silly to kill off a character immediately as they make a comeback without them having any sort of effect on the plot? Or was this done because of some sort of scheduling conflict/issue with the actors involved?

And if it was to showcase how powerful Ganon is, wasn't that kind of blatant as soon as he had Luigi on his knees with one hand?

As a side note, go ahead and down my notoriety for this one boys, I know it's coming.

Iliad
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyJinx on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Well, in another topic, Zach said:
zach also rises wrote:Yeah that Link death was the most painful thing ever. That's why it was awesome.

I think in your situation, lilmac, you're trying DESPERATELY to milk something positive from it, and that's cool if that's what it means to you. But I wrote that moment to be really harsh and grisly and pave the way for Peach's reveal and just tear every semblance of hope from the audience.

Don't worry, you don't HAVE to like it. No one writes a scene like that thinking the audience will bust into applause or anything.

Also, positive notority given, bitch. Whatcha gonna do now? =P

JonnyJinx
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zhiel on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:55 pm

JonnyJinx wrote:Well, in another topic, Zach said:
zach also rises wrote:Yeah that Link death was the most painful thing ever. That's why it was awesome.

I think in your situation, lilmac, you're trying DESPERATELY to milk something positive from it, and that's cool if that's what it means to you. But I wrote that moment to be really harsh and grisly and pave the way for Peach's reveal and just tear every semblance of hope from the audience.

Don't worry, you don't HAVE to like it. No one writes a scene like that thinking the audience will bust into applause or anything.

Also, positive notority given, bitch. Whatcha gonna do now? =P
In response to what Zach wrote: I felt very divided about it. For one, it's awesome to see Ganondorf Mercer kick some ass, but at the same time I was rooting for Link putting up more of a fight xD

Zhiel
Feral Mercenary

View user profile http://bleachedsouls.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  lilMac on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:43 pm

I'm glad to know the girlfriend and I wern't the only ones to think this way. LINK HAS A FOLLOWING!!!! Very Happy

lilMac
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Iliad wrote:Why were Link and Zelda killed off so trivially? Fanboy-ism or not. Isn't it a little silly to kill off a character immediately as they make a comeback without them having any sort of effect on the plot? Or was this done because of some sort of scheduling conflict/issue with the actors involved?

And if it was to showcase how powerful Ganon is, wasn't that kind of blatant as soon as he had Luigi on his knees with one hand?

As a side note, go ahead and down my notoriety for this one boys, I know it's coming.

Link did accomplish something. He was supposed to be dead but he managed to come back and turn Zelda back to the side of good before he went down.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ask a TWBB Question

Post  MaloMart on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:57 pm

I hope it's not too late for a question.

What were the towers? Why did Mario lead his army there to find Bowser? How did Link get there when he was stabbed somewhere else? Why was Wario's army fighting Mario's? Who was that army working for?

MaloMart
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattox on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 pm

MaloMart wrote:I hope it's not too late for a question.

What were the towers? Why did Mario lead his army there to find Bowser? How did Link get there when he was stabbed somewhere else? Why was Wario's army fighting Mario's? Who was that army working for?

I can answer a few of these for you. Remember that at that point in the story, Wario was deputized. Thus, he represented the corrupted military police. So that who's fighting, and that's also why.

Mattox
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iliad on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Link mentioned he had maxim tomato extract, and enough for himself. Foreshadowing that he would likely have to use it.

*edit* That was directed to Malo

Also. Mario wanted to find bowser because he believed bowser had peach.

Iliad
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lerian on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:12 am

This may have been already answered, if so, would you please direct me to the answer?

Before the Brawl series and Kirby was running amok, spreading havoc throughout the Mushroom Kingdom, at what point did everyone realize it was Kirby? Did they know as soon as the bodies began to show up or did they find out at the end, when Daisy was murdered and the cannibal finally captured? I know that they mentioned the 'vigilante from Dreamland' (Metaknight), but were they aware that the cannibal was also from Dreamland?

Lerian
Corrupt Officer

View user profile http://memoirsofan80schild.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:18 am

Lerian wrote:This may have been already answered, if so, would you please direct me to the answer?

Before the Brawl series and Kirby was running amok, spreading havoc throughout the Mushroom Kingdom, at what point did everyone realize it was Kirby? Did they know as soon as the bodies began to show up or did they find out at the end, when Daisy was murdered and the cannibal finally captured? I know that they mentioned the 'vigilante from Dreamland' (Metaknight), but were they aware that the cannibal was also from Dreamland?

I don't think so. If they did they probably would have used his name when talking about him in the flashback. Instead they just refer to Kirby as "The Cannibal".

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lerian on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:36 am

TheTJ wrote:
Lerian wrote:This may have been already answered, if so, would you please direct me to the answer?

I don't think so. If they did they probably would have used his name when talking about him in the flashback. Instead they just refer to Kirby as "The Cannibal".

Thank you. I was going on that assumption, as well. ^_^

Lerian
Corrupt Officer

View user profile http://memoirsofan80schild.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyJinx on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:04 pm

So um, when's the site gonna be updated? Does Matt need to do that? Where is that crazy kid anyway? =P

JonnyJinx
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JayDeth on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:13 am

Be honest, what else would you change about the final episode that you haven't already mentioned? I thought Zelda came off as kinda weak in holding to her convictions. I mean, she makes out with Ganon, who we know now was working with Ganon for awhile, seeming not as upset about having stabbed Link as she did at the time, then not moments later, Link enters, is all like, "dude, you were, right, I'll stop being a scrub now," and Zelda was just like, "k".

Also, I understand why you generalized the explanation at the end of how of how Ness/Lucas came to be, but I would have liked it be a little more indepth, even if it meant repeating some information. I understand why you'd want to leave a story up for interpretation, as you've already explained. But I don't like being left with questions, because it leaves me confused, which in turn makes me annoyed. x_x

JayDeth
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:56 pm

If Bowser was poisoned by Lucas, does that mean Bowser simultaneously drove off Ganon, Ness, Lucas, and the army of G-Dubs? As in, the same Ganon that took out Link and Zelda in one shot and the same Ness and Lucas that took down Falcon, Samus, and Pit all at once?

Hail to the King. Shocked

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattox on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:34 pm

Eiron wrote:If Bowser was poisoned by Lucas, does that mean Bowser simultaneously drove off Ganon, Ness, Lucas, and the army of G-Dubs? As in, the same Ganon that took out Link and Zelda in one shot and the same Ness and Lucas that took down Falcon, Samus, and Pit all at once?

Well then you gotta consider that Mario has taken him out how many times by himself? Now that's manly!!

Mattox
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leaf on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Someone knows the name of the music played when Mario is destroying G&W Octopus form?

Leaf
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zach also rises on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Whoops sorry guys. I fell away for a while there!

Lavaros wrote:I was wondering why you decided to go with Luigi as the central protagonist? (not that I consider it a bad move, just curious)

It just seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Spontaneous Combustion wrote:Another question: Is Donkey Kong dead by the end of the series? Mario pounded him pretty brutally, but one Mushroom Kingdoom News segment implied that he's still alive.

I guess it's up to you whether or not he died in the ER, but Diddy showing up with his tie on his wrist can imply the worst.

Gunzelino wrote:How did Samus get that eye patch? Or is that something for our imagination?
Also, Another one. I'm assuming Kirby ate Ness, since he has his hat, but what about Lucas?

Neither of those are shown on purpose, because I want you to go crazy with speculation. Although I think it's pretty clear that Samus got the eyepatch in the battle with Lucas, post-Pit's wings.

As for the Yoshi head, Yoshi was indeed NOT a butcher victim, but taken down as part of Ganon's plot to keep the heroes in their place.

Okay done with page four. YEAH

zach also rises
One whom tells the tales...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zach also rises on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Ike is dead, that's clear in another Lakitu segment that's not up yet.

PT was killed for exactly the reason Ganon says he was, and to continue to dissuade Luigi from rising up against him.

lilMac wrote:Are there any characters from the Nintendo universe that you wish you could have added to TWBB but couldn't due to time/money/impossible to make costume?

Also are there characters that you wish you didn't have to put into TWBB because of similar reasons or because of general dislike for that character?

Nah, I was happy to put everyone in. The first question is too dangerous though - I'd put in every Advance Wars character if I could.

Tenfold wrote:Not really TWBB related in terms of script or episode writing, but what was the worst part about working with the Escapist?

They were fine, except that they were always late on payment, which sucked. Other than that, no complaints. We went with them because they offered the most. : )

Fetts wrote:So were all Gdubs suppose to be evil demons or were there some good ones too (i.e the bartender at falcon's place). Or were they just biding their time?

They were just biding their time, the evil bastards.

SnowDono wrote:
Film noir hasn't been done the old Hayes Code way for a while. There's a lot of storytelling elements that are so old they're new at this point, things people don't know about or pay attention to. Now, you did a lot of senseless death near the end, and most of it was pretty classic noir storytelling, which is what drew my attention to Mario's survival.

I'm not complaining, it just stood out to me, in the middle of this story that would have fit in during the Bogart era (if you take out the video game/supernatural elements, at least) that one of the biggest death knells didn't play through. (He decided to clean up. That is usually about when you know the angry guy is going to die horribly.) So I'd like to know, from a storyteller's perspective, why did you choose to let Mario live?

I never really considered killing Mario. For some reason it didn't feel "right" which may mean that it may have felt too obvious or simple for the reasons you say. After revealing that Peach has been dead THE WHOLE TIME, killing Mario as well would have been pretty harsh.

Great question by the way.

Mattox wrote:Was there any further backstory between Kirby and MetaKnight planned that didn't make it into the show.

Indeed, when Kirby was found "dead" I actually assumed that MetaKnight had indeed won but had become so corrupted by Kirby that he had adopted his persona.

Actually I'd say the Kirby/Metaknight thing was one of the only things in the show that didn't balloon up beyond what I originally intended. Their history pretty much came out as I originally envisioned. And you were supposed to think Metaknight had been corrupted, so I'm glad you did. Wink

Okay page five done!

zach also rises

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zach also rises on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Iliad wrote:Why were Link and Zelda killed off so trivially? Fanboy-ism or not. Isn't it a little silly to kill off a character immediately as they make a comeback without them having any sort of effect on the plot? Or was this done because of some sort of scheduling conflict/issue with the actors involved?

No way dude, it's AWESOME to do that. Plot isn't the most important element to storytelling - that honor goes to things like Mood and Theme. Killing Link like that was my "Wash" moment, a la Serenity. Supposed to completely derail you, emotionally, and set you up for a conclusion where literally ANYONE can die.

Also I would not say Zelda died "trivially" at all. She died realizing, too late, that her actions took her down the wrong path. Perfect for her role in the story.

MaloMart wrote:I hope it's not too late for a question.

Abandoned Nintendo towers, which maybe were inhabited back during the good old days. The rest of these are all answered in the episodes: Mario lead his army there because Link, Zelda and Wario were holing up there and Zelda was still aiming to be crowned. Link has the ability to walk. That army was Ganon's. Wario was leading it because Ganon was watching everyone destroy each other.

They didn't know right away; but the exact sequence of events is not written in concrete.

JonnyJinx wrote:So um, when's the site gonna be updated? Does Matt need to do that? Where is that crazy kid anyway? =P

No fucking idea! Hah, but I'll try find him and get him on the job.

JayDeth wrote:Be honest, what else would you change about the final episode that you haven't already mentioned? I thought Zelda came off as kinda weak in holding to her convictions. I mean, she makes out with Ganon, who we know now was working with Ganon for awhile, seeming not as upset about having stabbed Link as she did at the time, then not moments later, Link enters, is all like, "dude, you were, right, I'll stop being a scrub now," and Zelda was just like, "k".

Also, I understand why you generalized the explanation at the end of how of how Ness/Lucas came to be, but I would have liked it be a little more indepth, even if it meant repeating some information. I understand why you'd want to leave a story up for interpretation, as you've already explained. But I don't like being left with questions, because it leaves me confused, which in turn makes me annoyed. x_x

Why don't you like to think for yourself, JayDeth? YOU ARE NOT A NUMBER!

Zelda's moment of reconciliationdeath was supposed to be "weak" in the sense that you say. I understand what you want from the Ness/Lucas backstory but that was never my intention. That moment isn't supposed to be plotty, it's about the emotion and the absolute lack of hope in the face of true, mortal evil.

Page six finito!

zach also rises

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zach also rises on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:13 pm

Eiron wrote:If Bowser was poisoned by Lucas, does that mean Bowser simultaneously drove off Ganon, Ness, Lucas, and the army of G-Dubs? As in, the same Ganon that took out Link and Zelda in one shot and the same Ness and Lucas that took down Falcon, Samus, and Pit all at once?

He had his army too. Those bodies all died in the attack.

Leaf wrote:Someone knows the name of the music played when Mario is destroying G&W Octopus form?

No, but hopefully we will soon!

zach also rises

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:13 pm

zach also rises wrote:Nah, I was happy to put everyone in. The first question is too dangerous though - I'd put in every Advance Wars character if I could.

Dude.........you're now even higher on my role model list than Abraham Lincoln. & THAT guy ended the civil war! No but seriously this would have potentially become epic, <3 the AW series, but from a story telling standpoint yeah, I can't really figure out how to squeeze those guys in there.....well, maybe with the 'army' tag, perhaps, or tying them with Solid Snake....?

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Have any projects lined up now that TWBB is all done?

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:39 am

Call me silly, But Toon Link where?

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top