There Will Be Brawl Trading Cards

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: There Will Be Brawl Trading Cards

Post  Relmitos on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:10 pm

AdmiralMemo wrote:Regarding the Star, you must not have been around for Fifth Dawn. At that time, having a rainbow deck, or at least some way of converting mana to different colors, was used very often. (Note: I've been around since Ice Age, so I have a longer view of Magic than most.) Also, take Innistrad's "Shimmering Grotto." A 2-color deck with 3 of those and you could play anything.
Plus, for how powerful the effect is, it needs to be hard to cast. If it gets into play on something big, you've got an unstoppable powerhouse that will probably win you the game then and there.

Regarding the Escapist, I put several layers of meaning into that. "Green" is a synonym for money, which the Escapist gave to support this. 10 mana = 10 episodes. Skip your next turn = the time it took to get the episodes up and running. Smile

Regarding the Tri-force, it is meant to help you play Ganondorf or Olimar in off-color decks.

Regarding the Whistle, the effect is a little complex, but I think it works. Obviously, "exile until end of turn" is meant to give the effect like in the show: Luigi went off for a while, then came back. Now, the rules state only the controller of a card can access its abilities. Therefore, only the creature's controller can tap it for the effect.
The reason the effect would be good is not from the tapping, but from the exile effect. The reason it's good has to do with your opponent casting bad abilities on your creatures and also how the stack works. Say your opponent casts some lousy effect, like Homeless, or Innistrad's "Bonds of Faith," or even a simple "Lightning Bolt," on your creature. If it's equipped with the Whistle, in response, you can tap the creature to exile it until end of turn. The exile effect goes on the stack on top of whatever the opponent cast. Then, any other effects played go on top of that, as usual. Now, when the stack resolves, it's "Last In, First Out" so the last effect resolves first. Because the exile effect is on top of the opponent's bad effect, it resolves first. Your creature gets exiled. Because Whistle is equipment, it doesn't go to the graveyard. It just unequips and remains in play. Then, your opponent's bad effect tries to resolve, but because your creature is exiled at that point, it cannot affect the creature and does nothing. Then, at the end of the turn, your creature comes back into play, with no bad effects on it.
A quick exile and return is called a "bounce" by some MtG pros. Therefore, the Whistle will "bounce" your creature to protect it from bad spells. Granted, you'll need to have the Whistle equipped ahead of time, but then, you can stick it on Bowser, Ganondorf, Kirby, Captain Falcon, or any other creature you don't want dying or otherwise screwed with. Once equipped, it's a good deterrent from your opponents casting those spells, as they'd end up being wasted.

I'll see if I can get more pictures over the weekend. I plan to watch through the series again completely to get them, and also to work out some of the effects I don't have in there yet. Maybe a bit more flavor text, too.

Alright, I'll respond to this piece by piece.

You would be correct about the star, I was, in fact, not playing when that happened. Sounds strange to me, but I guess it worked somehow.

With the Escapist, yea, I know why you made the card the way it is, and I vastly approve of it. It's funny.

Tri-force, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it in the first place.

Now the Whistle.....well, I didn't know it could work like that. All the exile cards I have just remove the creature from the game. I could see that being useful, yes.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AdmiralMemo on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:04 am

Relmitos wrote:You would be correct about the star, I was, in fact, not playing when that happened. Sounds strange to me, but I guess it worked somehow.
Yeah. Fifth Dawn had the "Sunburst" mechanic. The Mirroden block was artifact-heavy, and Sunburst was only on artifacts, but it worked. What Sunburst does is that for every color of mana you use to play your artifact card, it gets either a +1/+1 counter or a charge counter (depending on whether it's a creature or not). So, while playing these cards in mono-color or two-color decks was perfectly fine, tapping 5 different colors of mana to play these cards was a really good idea.
Also, the old Sliver decks were almost by definition rainbow decks.
Other cards from Magic's history that have (at least) WURBG casting costs: Atogatog, Child of Alara, Coalition Victory (basically, for 3WURBG, you win the game), Conflux, Cromat, Fusion Elemental, Genju of the Realm, Horde of Notions, Karona, False God, Last Stand (another near game-winner), Maelstrom Archangel, Maelstrom Nexus, Progenitus (Protection from Everything FTW!), Reaper King, Scion of the Ur-Dragon, Sliver Legion, Sliver Overlord, Sliver Queen.
Relmitos wrote:Tri-force, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it in the first place.
I didn't think you were saying that either. Just making commentary.
Relmitos wrote:Now the Whistle.....well, I didn't know it could work like that. All the exile cards I have just remove the creature from the game. I could see that being useful, yes.
Yeah. Exile by itself isn't useful for your creatures. It's the fact that they can come back that is. Smile

AdmiralMemo
Corrupt Officer

View user profile http://admiralmemo.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  roxas on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:14 am

AdmiralMemo wrote:Card count has jumped to about 80, and I'm about 2/3 done. I've included new mechanics that have been released since I first started working on them, like Phyrexian Mana and transforming double-faced cards.

Here's what I have so far:

I wouldn't use a few of those cards in an actual deck, but I loved the concept behind a lot of them.

roxas
Toad Thug

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/jasonabroussard

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:14 am

I wouldn't play cards with you anyway.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down