discussion on science related issues

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: discussion on science related issues

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm on the border of calling bullshit on this, because it seems impossible, but it uses correct algebraic functions and all that fun stuff. hmm....

HUDSONBOY111
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:36 pm

hudsonboy111 wrote:Okay, Viero, can you like mentor me in genetics and Avalanche in psychology?
While I am not that big in genetics. (Much bigger on psychology) I still know some things.

But like what do you want to know?

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:40 pm

hudsonboy111 wrote:Okay, Viero, can you like mentor me in genetics and Avalanche in psychology?

uhm, yes I can....A little. So far I've got a lot of therms and their explanation, a few psychological problems and their explanation, and the basics of psychological conversation. Which would you like to know something about? I'll try to avoid the walls of text.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:41 pm

a(b-a)=0, since b=a, therefore b-a=0, 0a=0, 0(b+a)=0 as well, so the final result is that 0=0, not that 1=2. So yeah, bullshit.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Avalanche91 wrote:

uhm, yes I can....A little. So far I've got a lot of therms and their explanation, a few psychological problems and their explanation, and the basics of psychological conversation. Which would you like to know something about? I'll try to avoid the walls of text.

Psychological Conversation is what I'm most interested in right now. And thanks in advance, I didn't really think that you'd do it.

HUDSONBOY111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:19 pm

sure not a problem. Since psychology is one of the many many many branches of SCIENCE, I'll post it here. with spoiler tags, cause as I try, I cant avoid a small wall of text. for those not interested, you dont have to be boggled by it.

Spoiler:

First, posture is important. Body language is about 87% of general communication, so posture is really important.

Lets assume the posture you should take when someone comes to you with a problem.

Sit down, and try to make the client/subject feel comfortable. Tell him/her youll try to help, and offer something to drink, or just be polite to ease the tension. This may not seem like much, but remember. Body language + spoken language is about 100% of the communication. Comming over as polite and friendly will help people open up to you.
Never sit straight in front of the client, but take a bit of a angle. Do however remain eyecontact, especially when talking/listening. Giving the client the feeling he's being listened to and respected helps again with giving him/her a safe feeling, and they'll open up faster.
Do not, wrap your arms up, hold your arms in front of you or lean your head against it. This will give a feeling off disinterest, or the feeling that you try to create a distance. When having to stand during a psychological conversation, also avoid sticking your hands down your pocket.

Some people will do the above mentioned 'ettiquete' naturally. Others will have a hard time doing this.

Second is the actual conversation. You may hear some rough shit, but try to at least stay calm. Showing empathy however, is obligated. Even small things such giving a 'hmmhmm' to show you heard them is generally apreciated by the client, wether they are aware or not. Considering their emotions is also a good move. Telling them you can understand what a sad, awfull, horrible time/thing/moment it must have been, is also apreciated. If it seems as if the client is getting overwhelmed, ask if they would like to take a break.

Now on to the psychological questions, which is VERY important. Basically the idea for a psychological conversation, and especially the first one with a new client is that you act as a mirror for the other person. See what they say, feel and do, and give it back to them. This needs to be done calm, polite and responsible, but it needs to be done. Best example was with my teacher, who played a girl who was feeling so down for her sister who just had a divorce, but she was gleefully smiling everytime she mentioned it. Confrontations are difficult, so approach them carefully.
As for the questions, it is surprisingly similar to journalism. Ask questions about their current situation, ask for further details, and ask for examples. The only thing that should be avoided at all cost is "Suggestion". Your questions should suggest as little as possible. When a adult man comes to you saying how he feels lonely, dont ask; "Dont you have a wife?", because you show you assumed he was married/straight/etc. Ask stuff like "Dont you have a Family?", "How about your friends?"

Seeing as how most of you will be dealing with teenagers, Im afraid I dont have much psychologically build case-knowledge. What I can say however is that a lot of their problems revolve around attention, and you can get a whole lot done by feeling bad for them and just being open to them. If shit however gets really tits up, it might be best to suggest they find help with a real psychologist.

and thats a summary of what I learned from coaching, counceling and training this year

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:38 pm

Ohh... Another thing about Psychology. It's always changing, right? So to get to something as simple as being a "mirror" it took society +2000 years... It's just... fascinating...

HUDSONBOY111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Avalanche I get the feeling that you use it for helping people and don't really use it for def. or off.? Like making a person sad.

And Hudson it is more so different for diffrent people, not really changing changing.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Ohh I see.

And Viero, I like the Laser Collections too :3

HUDSONBOY111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:49 pm

@ Viero

I used psychology to become a human Switserland Razz I dont have any real enemies, just general douchebags in my enviroment, so no real need for offence or defence. Who I can tolerate because of my vast feeling or superiority over them, knowing they'll be washed up and broke within the next 10 years or so.

When I am really pissed, or there's a real need to (debate on short notice) I'll gladly use my psychology for offence or defence As example indeed that debate. Using extra long pauses, tempting my opponent to speak for their turn and politely remind them I was still speaking, correcting my opponent when they make miniscule mistakes.....the teacher compared it to a Pitbull savagely murdering a chihuaha who was laying on his back.....

Also, because of being a rather neutral and laid back guy, people often come to me with troubles, which then again became the base of actually studying psychology

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:55 pm

4 more years till Psych in highschool, 5 till AP Pysch, and 6 till some awesome college like Harvard or Princeton (I have high expectations/hopes) teaches me how to scare the shit out of my friends. Very Happy

HUDSONBOY111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Well I myself have studied a ton on reading and effecting peoples moods. I will send you a PM with some stuff I know. But I am kinda busy right now so it will have to wait a bit..

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:08 pm

Oh okay. Cool. Thanks Very Happy

HUDSONBOY111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:21 am

hudsonboy111 wrote:

I'm on the border of calling bullshit on this, because it seems impossible, but it uses correct algebraic functions and all that fun stuff. hmm....

Anything is possible when you can divide by zero! Which you can't. L2Maths. a = b, therefore, a - b = 0, by dividing by a - b you are dividing by zero, making everything the dumbass who made that video said bullshit.

Hans
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:29 am

*sinsert generic divide by zero O SHI-joke here*

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:48 am

Everyone get Methanol and Boric acid. Mix the 2 together and light it on fire and watch the awesomeness that is green fire.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Hans wrote:
hudsonboy111 wrote:

Anything is possible when you can divide by zero! Which you can't. L2Maths. a = b, therefore, a - b = 0, by dividing by a - b you are dividing by zero, making everything the dumbass who made that video said bullshit.

Chuck Norris can divide by zero. And get infinity.

HUDSONBOY111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:16 pm

Oh damn. Sorry I have not sent anything Hudson. I been clawing my brain out with Lunar Magic.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:24 pm

S'all good. I'm not in any particular hurry to learn about psychology, just interested in it.

HUDSONBOY111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:27 pm

One thing I've been really into lately is body language and the psychology behind it. I only know it pretty basically, but I can already read people really well.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Well Avalanche posted about it in a earlier post minby. Read up on it. It can help a lot.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:32 pm

I have. That's one of the things that got me looking it up a lot. I actually completely saw through one of my teacher's acts about becoming super-strict because of low grades, because every time she lied, her eyebrow twitched. I still notice that now when she talks sometimes.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:37 pm

That would be called a tell. You can also tell when a person is telling a lie when his eyes are looking towards the upper left side for a split sec. It means that they are constructing an image in their mind (making something up to go with a lie) which can show they lied.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:39 pm

Yeah. I've read a bit on the eye-direction tells. Upper left is visual creation, Upper right is Visual memory, mid-left is audial creation, mid-right is audial memory.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:01 am

This your right or theirs? Also, people tend to fidget, cross their arms or put their hands in their pockets when they lie, as well as other subtle things, like scratching their earlobe or the base of their nose, etc.

Hans
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top