Plans for my new web series: Game On!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Plans for my new web series: Game On!

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:59 am

Raya wrote:

Also don't listen to DF, she's just teasing you. Zach is a massive Tabuu fanboy. Hey, he might even provide the voice if you ask nicely.

I Lol'd.

Though he does love him some Tabuu.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:31 pm

I'm gonna be honest here, this doesn't really seem like something I would watch. For me, TWBB was awesome because of the theme and mood of it all, rather than being some kind of epic power struggle, it was a murder mystery. If you are inspired, and you are passionate, then let nothing hold you back from making your series. Here are some things I've heard that I think I should point out.

1. Each episode of TWBB ran about $2,000 to make. If you are making this just for youtube, this money would need to come from donors or from your own pocket, unless you decide to do things a bit cheaper.
2. The most challenging part of the series was all the costumes. I think Mercer might have either explicitly said this, or alluded to it, but after TWBB he is so sick of making all these costumes that if he ever creates anything again, it will be two people in normal clothes talking in a room for 45 minutes. It was a huge challenge for the crew making all of those costumes, props, and other ways in which they incorporated characters, and given the massive size of your list, this is going to be an even more difficult and expensive undertaking.
3. Most of the TWBB cast are already pretty experienced in their fields. The major characters are all professional actors. The costume and makeup crew are pretty experienced at making costumes because most of them are or were avid cosplayers. The Special effects were done by a dedicated special effects artist. What I am getting at is, TWBB wasn't good by accident. The crew didn't just happen to get everything right by playing by ear, they all knew what they were doing (mostly). If you expect your series to be like TWBB, you are going to need people who know what they are doing.

I don't want to dash your dreams here, but I want to put things into perspective for you. If you want to do this, I wouldn't want to hold you back at all, but I think you should be realistic about what you're getting yourself into if you decide to do it live action like TWBB.

Also, Zach hates Tabuu.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:34 pm

He's like Dr Manhattan if he was a fairy X3

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:58 pm

Anime characters and video game characters are like oil and water. If you want to mix them, it's gonna be HARD. I'd suggest you went with flash animation or the like to make everything more... possible. Also, you'd have to write a very good script to make something like this work. As odd as it may sound, putting lots of cool things together won't automatically make something cooler, YOU have to make it work. Also, I'd say get the "I want to make a series like TWBB" mindset, and throw it out the window. Even if it ends up having similarities with TWBB anyways, if you do it from the beginning with this mindset, it won't be more than a cheap imitation, a wannabe, and I am sure you don't want that.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thwompman64 (Goombill) on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Okay...well, I appreciate the tips, guys.

And maybe I'll save it for if I become more experienced. Also, I e-Mailed both Zach AND Matt, asking for tips on directing and writing. Zach said he'd be up for the help, but that was back during New Year's weekend, and he hasn't gotten back since. I sent him the scripts I had so far so he could read them and tell me where I could improve. But like I said, he hasn't gotten back, so I PM'd Matt after I joined the forums, explaining to him the same situation.

Now about the Flash animation...either if I can't find good actors or something like that, or if I get Flash and learn how to use it properly, then I might make a series. This was my alternate series idea other than Game On. If Game On couldn't work, or at least, not for quite a while, I would think about this one.

The alternate series idea was "There Will Be Flash", following the murder and mystery idea from Brawl, but instead of a Smash Bros. Brawl parody, it would be a Super Smash Flash 2 parody*. I was hoping I could get some of the TWBB actors to do voices (well, hey, it beats costumes and cameras all over again), and I would do voices for some characters like Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, and so on.

One last thing about G.O. and the ridiculous amount of characters. Similar to Brawl, I wasn't going to have every character in every episode. In fact, I was going to do 5 seasons, then a movie. Also, you're kinda right about the YouTube thing. Maybe I'll just send it to Escapist and leave it at that.

EDIT: Also, to Raya, when I said "Ash Catchem", I really meant Red. I wrote this list before I even knew his real name and defferences between the two trainers.

Anything else I should know? I appreciate hearing constructive criticism or whatever you call it.

Last edited by Goombill Rezne Koopario on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just to clear up that by "Ash Catchem" I meant "Red".)

Thwompman64 (Goombill)
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Dude, forget The Escapist. It's another level, it's totally different. It's not just "send it to them", there's real stuff involved: money, contracts, deadlines, etc. And they wouldn't look at you twice if your series wasn't excellent in the least.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Seriously, you're looking at a BIIIIIIG undertaking. Unless you have a lot of spare cash, I would suggest scrapping any plans for live action, and start learning flash, using the same basic principal. If you're not looking for amazing quality, I'm sure you could find a few people who want to get a start in voice acting to do some voices for you for fairly cheap, or even free if you're lucky. *cough cough* But again, in all candor, with what you're saying, it would take a LOT of work, and even more time to get it to work, and there's no guarantee it even will work. You have to be prepared for failure. Have you thought of that yet? And you won't be available constantly to do all the work, you'll need a partner or a team or something. There is a LOT of thinking that needs to go into this.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:36 pm

the best i can say you can do and only if you have a ton of time on your hand if your doing this a lone. is to do a 2d flash like minby said or a 3d animation.if you ever do get started on this and it is 3d animation(i know some but not enough of 2d) i would love to help you in anyway i can.i have about 3 years of experience with 3d studio max

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Scrap the 3 d. That would look stupid.

Actually, I am going to give you my true blunt honest advice.

Make your dreams a bit smaller. Maybe, instead of making a new thing, you could draw a nice picture of your idea and show it around. Or make a little storyline book, that people could read and say "Thats nice"

Then, after years of Flash practice, and saved up time and money, make a little Flash movie.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thwompman64 (Goombill) on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Once again, everyone, excellent advice. I've got everything so far jotted down as notes. Let me sum them up:

-Each episode costs LOTS of money to make
-YouTube=Cheap Escapist=Worth it
-Make decent costumes and props
-Expect challenging costume production
-Get a cast and crew who knows what they're doing
-Anime and video game characters can be difficult to put together
-Learn to write VERY GOOD SCRIPTS
-Cool things put together need LOTS of work to make it even cooler
-Try not to base off TWBB too much
-Get LOTS of spare cash
-Expect to do a LOT of work
-Have PLENTY of spare time
-Be prepared for any failures
-Build a team who would want to really help to put a LOT of thought and work into this

Okay...anything else? Keep it coming; this is good knowledge!

Thwompman64 (Goombill)
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:53 pm

-Make a flash
-Put this off for later in life when you are really good at flashes

Dude, This is going to either suck up a lot of your life and end up as epic fail, or not suck up your life, and end as epic fail

There is that small chance I will lol while watching it.

But you gotta be fucking amazing. Like I said, put this into a little more perspective.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:00 pm

and i suggest that you wait until you get

1. better at this stuff
2.know some really good people to help you in this and

3. find a way to advertise really good

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thwompman64 (Goombill) on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:06 pm

You know, and I don't mean to be taking this the wrong way. But it looks like you don't want me to fulfill my life's goals just because I'm inspired by an amazing series. I understand I need to be good to make this work, but you really could try to be more...positive about supporting this. I'm not trying to copy off TWBB. I'm trying to keep this as original as possible. This is just beginning; I'm not even "a mile down the road". I will study everything I need to know. And I'll tell ya something else...I'm starting it now while I'm still young, so as not to rush it.

I know these productions take...years to prepare for. If you plan to destroy me just because I like TWBB, I won't back down that easily.

Thwompman64 (Goombill)
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:14 pm

You are wrong. I don't want you to fulfill your life's goals because there is a chance it'll suck.

Just saying. Kinda jumping the gun there though, buddy, saying we are doing this cause you... like TWBB?

No. Lol.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thwompman64 (Goombill) on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:37 pm

What seems like all my life, was actually just a few years, people have just looked at me once, and I see by the expression in their face that they think I'm an ugly, fat, retard slob who likes nothing other than games. I appologize for my explosion; it just seemed that way.

I guess a better way to explain would be that when Matt and Zach came up with TWBB, it became famous instantly. Now I come up with an idea, and it's ridiculed before started.

Look, I understand how I might just sound like some fuckin' idiot who has no idea what's goin' on. But like I said fifty times already. I will study all about decent productions in order to make this work. If you think it sucks now.........just wait until I get into it.

Hey. There probably was a chance TWBB would suck before even episode 1 was made, and now it's like a fuckin' masterpiece anyone would want to spend 200 bucks on, and DVDs usually only cost $30 or so.

Thwompman64 (Goombill)
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Raya wrote:
Goombill Rezne Koopario wrote:
Ash Catchem

Goku
Vegeta
Some characters I made up, so any that look unfamiliar...that's why.

I can think of countless image macros I could post in response to this.

Also don't listen to DF, she's just teasing you. Zach is a massive Tabuu fanboy. Hey, he might even provide the voice if you ask nicely.
oh you silly person you Razz

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jessica.ninness?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey I sent you a Pm on your Forum, Goombil. Go see if I passededed

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Goombill Rezne Koopario wrote:You know, and I don't mean to be taking this the wrong way. But it looks like you don't want me to fulfill my life's goals just because I'm inspired by an amazing series. I understand I need to be good to make this work, but you really could try to be more...positive about supporting this. I'm not trying to copy off TWBB. I'm trying to keep this as original as possible. This is just beginning; I'm not even "a mile down the road". I will study everything I need to know. And I'll tell ya something else...I'm starting it now while I'm still young, so as not to rush it.

I know these productions take...years to prepare for. If you plan to destroy me just because I like TWBB, I won't back down that easily.

you do realize that we are simply telling you things that your going to need right? ignoring them will just hurt you really bad in making this, and supporting is not my style. mainly because saying"Oh, your do great!"will not help you at all,while looking at what needs to be done/fix can only help you

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:59 pm

Here's my advice/input.

-Keep your cast of characters incredibly small. The more characters the more people you need to depend on the more problems you'll have trying to get everyone together at the same time
-PLAN, PLAN and PLAN your story
-Understand and I mean TRULY understand the chances of failure and the risks involved (especially in terms of money)
-Create/develop characters in GREAT detail and give EVERYONE GOOD and BAD traits, no one is EVER 100% evil or good
-Draft up a budget before EVER shooting and stick to it. I mean budget EVERYTHING from costumes to pens and print offs of scripts to crew meals. Know exactly where you want to spend money and how much.
-Listen to all advice/critiscism with an open mind
-KNOW your target market and base it around them
-Follow your dreams, if this is someinyou wanna do then go for it, just make sure you recognize and accept the negatives along with the positives

That's my thoughts/advice, for whatever it's worth

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:04 pm

also remember that people are going to keep pounding you for info. "whens the next episode?" "this sucks" "this is awesome i want more now! right now!"

thats another thing your going to need to work though,the pressure of people with both negative and positive comments

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thwompman64 (Goombill) on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:58 am

Well, I certainly know about comments and demands, as well as opinions.

For those of you with the suggestions to reduce the amount of characters...well, I guess I see your point. It may not seem it*, but we were going to need around 80 or so people. Now, I see that's ridiculous, so I will reduce it to around 40 or 50.

You guys have exceptionally good tips on this. I really appreciate the help. I would be honored to hear more. And I would also be very happy to put all of you in the credits.

*The reason it may not seem it is because on the list, I just said "Koopa Troopas" or "Mushroom People" or "Primids". For each of these catergories, I needed about 10 people (10 Koopa Troopas, 10 Mushroom People, and 10 Primids). All this adds up to around 80 or 90.

Thwompman64 (Goombill)
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:23 pm

when do you picture yourself starting this?

MAKE A STORY BORD before anything

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thwompman64 (Goombill) on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm

OOOHH!!!! Good one!

Also, I don't have a whole lot of actors yet (just two) and not a whole lot of props. We'll probably start...I dunno...a few years from now? I've never done anything like this before, so it'll take a while. But I need help now so that I can take lots of time to study and maybe practice preparations and stuff.

I could take pictures of the props when I get them done, if you'd like.

Thwompman64 (Goombill)
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:36 pm

that would be a good idea. the sending them to me,i would like to see them when your done every time you work on anything,a anime. a game, or something your doing right now,and even if it will take a few years,it is always best to put your ideas down on one before you forget even if you dont use it for years

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thwompman64 (Goombill) on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:16 am

Alright, I'll do that.

Also, another reason why I'm starting to actually do this in a few years is because I'd like to get as much done as possible, so we don't get broke during, before, after, or in-between episodes and seasons. I'm in no way affiliated with Hollywood, so I think I'll just keep it on YouTube.

I was also thinking that either during or before I start the series, I could do some shorts, for practice to do the bigger episodes.

Thwompman64 (Goombill)
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:10 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top