The Ambiguous Emblem of Fire

Page 3 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 28  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Ambiguous Emblem of Fire

Post  Smashy B on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:42 pm

I'd say FE9 because it had a nice start with it starting with the band of Mercanaries getting involved in the swing of things. It also has some nice twists and the cut scenes fit in nicely, too bad there weren't more.

FE7 and FE10 would follow. FE7 had an engaging story, but it got old for me (played through it 15 times at least). And FE10 got complicated at times.

FE8 was blah. Good, but fast-paced and too short.
FE6... I'd have to give it a second run-through to give a full opinion. Just note that nothing sticks out.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:24 am

Also, I'd like to state this for the record:

Advance Wars > Fire Emblem

That is all.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:02 am

K, I know you're doing that just to get a rise out of me. Well, HELL FUCKIN NO! I have Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin. The story was ok, but I hated that every unit was a face-less unit, and there's no leveling up or stats. It's a nice change of pace, but no. Fire Emblem ALL THE WAY!!

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:03 am

Your buddy dies in Fire Emblem, and he's gone for good. Failure is not an option in Fire Emblem.

I've only played the console games, so I can't comment on the other's stories. I liked PoR's much more, for several reasons. First off, most of the story was told through dialogue between characters, not shoved onto a narrator like in RD. You got much more personally invested in things. Next, the villains in RD were either completely generic or completely flat. Even the Black Knight and a "certain someone" ended up being completely predictable. (Except when the Black Knight first appears. That was fucking hardcore.) Villains in PoR were very multifaceted. You go from thinking Ashnard's just some power hungry maniac to realizing he actually wants to restructure the world based on the ideals that he (and the Laguz) believe in.

So, yeah. PoR>RD>Advanced Wars.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:16 pm

I like how losing a guy in FE (in most cases) spells his or her never ending return. It gives the game more of a challenge. Also, it shows even more that the guys you use aren't nameless/blank fighters.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:03 pm

Some characters definately have more backstory than others though, and those are teh ones I end up gravitating to, Like Jill and Haar. The fact that those characters tend to absolutely kick ass doesn't hurt either.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:18 pm

Jill... gah! I know she's good, I just don't really use her. Well, I didn't really try with her in PoR, but I did in RD. Sadly, she didn't make the cut for my endgame. It was between her, Marcia, and Haar for the 2 spots I designated for flyers. I chose the latter two. Her strength stat was just not up to my expectation for a Wyvern and Marcia had her on most of the othet stats. (I was actually a bit surprised I endgamed her.) But with Jill, again, her strength is lacking compared to enemies and allies since she can't twice attack either. It also doesn't help that she is one of two characters from PoR (other being Ilyana) that come in their most basic, or 1st teir class.

I'm still giving her another shot, though.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:23 pm

On my sister's file she actually maxed out every single stat. O_O

Let me see, I liked Stefan's character, but he didn't make the cut stat wise. Marcia I never payed much attention to in RD, but I used her alot in PoR...Oh, and I liked using Tanith in PoR too, but she's completely useless in RD.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:44 pm

Maybe I just got RNG screwed with Jill. Marcia is worth using since you are kinda limited to whom you can use in the chapters she's in, moreso in Part 2, unless you like horsies, Devdan/Nadved/whatever.

Stephan is cool, but yeah, stats not so much and even more in RD. I endgamed Edward on my first PT and now I'm thinking of endgaming Mia, while still training both. Needless to say, both are good, however, my Edward has a better support option (Nolan) than Mia's (Nephenee).

Tanith and Sigrun are phail in RD, but Tanith is a good filler character in PoR.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:57 am

I keep hearing that Edward is the best swordmaster in the game, but he's always so under leveled compared to Mia that I just go, "Oh well, maybe next time." Nolan is pretty beast though. I call him Robin Hood Very Happy

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gaiages on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:27 am

D= you guys be ruining the thread. You're making Shadow sad! Sad

On topic, kinda... I good beginning game for FE fans is FE8. it isn't by far the BEST game, but it's one of the EASIER ones.

gaiages
Corrupt Officer

View user profile http://dentsinthewall.wordpess.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:40 pm

How exactly are we ruining the thread? By moving through the subjects so quickly? There's only five of us or so...

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:50 pm

I hear that too with Edward, but I want to use Mia for once. Also, it came down between Nolan and Boyd on my last PT to endgame, I chose Boyd for better strength... Though, I shoulda went with Nolan on that one since he supported with Edward, and earth element supports rule!

Anyway, probably not going to use any of the Dawn Brigade people.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Yeah, I usually go with Boyd as well. I would like to do a run through were I use Micaiah's team though. Just not on hard mode.

I alsonoticed that Micaiah's team is very underleveled for the missions they have to do, but they get the kickass weapons and equipment really early on, While Ike's team is overpowered character wise, but have craptastic equi[ment. I actually almost ran out of weapons with them once.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm very stingy in RD when it comes to the shop. I buy the minimal I can skate buy with while forging a weapon or two (a sword for Mist and an axe for Jill). It sucks that funds are really low in RD. But once you get to a point in part 3 where you're given a crapload of funds on both sides, it's like "Shit, what should I get?"

But the Dawn Brigade needs those weapons just to survive. And coming underleveld with ok to Mediocre stats (Meg/Fiona), not fun on hard parts and not worth raising. I wish Zihark was as good as he was in PoR.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gaiages on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:05 pm

It was a joke. xp Sorry.

gaiages
Corrupt Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:38 am

Gaiages... I actually missed your previous post... weird.

Yeah, FE8 is a good beginner game. It's easy, less complicated, and shorter. And yeah, it is not the best FE game. Shorter than others; 20 chapters, wtf? (FE7 is about 30-40 chapters long, depending on if you take the side quests *DO* and if you do Hector's route which has 2 extra chapters. It's also assuming you do Lyn's tale before hand too. *FE7 is more complicated*) That said, I like the characters a lot, and it's still worth getting.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:18 am

Oh Meg. I tried sooo hard to use her. Such a waste of time and energy. Zihark goes from great in PoR to mediocre in RD, which is sad.

Gaiages, I can't comment on any of the FE games other than the console ones. ;_; Sorry...

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gaiages on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:31 pm

And I can't comment on the console ones. XD, it's nothing to be sorry about, though.

gaiages
Corrupt Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:28 pm

I've played FEs 6-10; Console and GBA... woot
gaiages wrote:And I can't comment on the console ones. XD, it's nothing to be sorry about, though.
Yes, it is.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:33 pm

>_<

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:30 pm

I gotta point out something I really like about RD... the staves. You actually get bonuses depending on what kind of staff your healer is holding. Like you gain a bit of HP back if you're have a heal staff equipped or +5 speed for equipping Rescue Staff, ect. And you can melee with staves, which usually doesn't do any damage anyway. Still cool.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:47 pm

That was a nice touch. I just wish that some of them had more uses than they did. I pretty much only used the really good staves for the final chapters because they ran out so quickly, and hermanene (I have no clue how to spell that, the one that repairs weapons) doesn't work on staves. And you can't steal the rewarp staves! Bah.

I would have liked the final chapters more if you didn't have access to Cainenghis and the other Laguz Royalty. Those guys are so broken, especially since you end up with around four nihil skill tomes to spread around.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:03 pm

I avoid using ANY laguz royals for the final chapters. Why would I work so hard on training my human characters if I can just rape face by throwing Tibarn and Caineghis? It's pointless; I'd rather bring in guys I worked so hard on. Actually, I tend to hardly use ANY laguz in general... they're just harder for me to train, except for the herons. Go Reyson.

And I *believe* the staff is hamerene... or hamerne... shit, not sure, but I know what you meant.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorblax on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:17 am

It's Hamerne.

Gorblax
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down