The Ambiguous Emblem of Fire

Page 28 of 28 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Ambiguous Emblem of Fire

Post  TD260 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Raya wrote:Can we talk about what a huge mess the new FE game is looking like right now?

Taking a leaf out of Pokemon's book, FE: If has two different versions, Black and White. One is easy-mode, the other regular-mode. Part way through the game the plot diverges into two different pathways. If you bought a physical copy you are locked into one pathway depending on which version you bought. If you bought a digital copy you can choose which pathway, but will be locked into it. But then you can spend even *more* money to buy the second pathway. So, technically, there are 4 different versions of the game. What an absolute cashgrab.

Also apparently they have hired Rob Liefeld as the game's artist, because this character art is just awful:

Spoiler:

Aside from the fact the female protag has two left feet, what the actual fuck is going on with that pose? SPINES DO NOT BEND THAT WAY. You try striking that pose, see how far you get.

I really hope all of this isn't an indicator of what's to come...

I thought I read somewhere that we were getting a physical version with the choice built in as opposed to having them split, but I can't find the source anymore. :l

I don't like the pokemon approach for Fire Emblem, since such a huge focus is being put on the story.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Dammit Nintendo, stop scaring me about the new FE.

So yeah, easy and regular mode depends on which side you choose to ally with. If you ally with glorious Nippon your birth country you unlock easy mode, which allows you lots of customisation and the ability to battle outside of the main storyline, like the encounters in Awakening. If you ally with dirty foreign Western devils the country that raised you, you're stuck in hard mode. No battles outside of the main story? Have fun levelling up, exploring new characters and raising relationships, gaijin.

Well, the game's now out in Japan, but I haven't heard much about it. It's definitely getting a western release, but what are the reviews like?

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:43 am

Hard mode should be standard. If you're gonna play this it should be the story battles first because if you over level with those other maps then that just takes the strategy out of it.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:18 am

Raya wrote:Dammit Nintendo, stop scaring me about the new FE.

So yeah, easy and regular mode depends on which side you choose to ally with. If you ally with glorious Nippon your birth country you unlock easy mode, which allows you lots of customisation and the ability to battle outside of the main storyline, like the encounters in Awakening. If you ally with dirty foreign Western devils the country that raised you, you're stuck in hard mode. No battles outside of the main story? Have fun levelling up, exploring new characters and raising relationships, gaijin.

Well, the game's now out in Japan, but I haven't heard much about it. It's definitely getting a western release, but what are the reviews like?

From what I understand that's not exactly right, you can still choose between Normal/Hard/Lunatic and Casual/Classic in both versions its just overall Hoshido is designed more like Awakening with the ability to grind and basic map designs, all levels basically just being kill the boss or all the enemies. Nohr plays more like older Fire Emblems with no grinding (though I have heard you can still do things like streetpass/spotpass battles which give no experience but still give you support points, so you can still grind to fill out all those support logs) and more complex map objectives like seize, escape and defend.

The reviews I've heard have been mixed, but keep in mind these tend to come from the hardcore English speaking fans who've imported the game, and most of them seem to consider Awakening to have been a disappointment for the series. The overall consensus seems to be a bit better than Awakening but not as good as the older games in the series so given that I liked Awakening I'm excited.

Tone of the plot is is apparently a lot darker but most responses to it seem positive. The characters are apparently hit or miss but given the size of the roster that doesn't seem too surprising. In terms of gameplay is sounds like it fixed a lot of Awakening's issues like pair up being overpowered and infinite reclassing with second seals (they're now replaced by parallel seals which let you reclass to an equivalent class but keeps your current level). Maps are apparently a bit more strategic since now enemies also get support from units they're adjacent to like you do so you need to be more aware of their formations. The overall what I've heard of the map design is again, better than Awakening but not great. The main complaints are unsurprisingly around the fanserviceier aspects like Fire Emblem Amie and the return of children characters.

As for the whole version split thing from what I understand it works this way. Buying one version costs the price of a normal 3ds game, you can then buy the opposite path digitally for 50% of the full cost and the 3rd path in which you unite both nations against a greater foe also costs half of a full game, so to get everything costs the price of two games. Each path has 29 chapters (well 27 numbered chapters plus the prologue and final boss chapters), but you make the decision at the end of chapter 5 so really the first 6 chapters are the same in every path making an effective 23  unique chapters per route. For reference Awakening effectively had 28 chapters. There's also 22 apparently paralogues (Awakening had 23, but that includes the 5 spotpass character missions and who knows if Fates will add something like those down the line) I'd assume most of those are kid recruitment missions so probably about half are in Hoshido, half in Nohr with the 3rd path having all of them. All in all each individual path does seem to have about as much value as a full game, though whether the complete package is worth it is hard to say without playing it.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Wed May 25, 2016 11:12 am

So I finally, FINALLY got my hands on Fates, after the complete fuckup that was the European release. I've never seen a video game release handled so badly in my life, and the fandom is in revolt over it. If anything it's a textbook example of how Nintendo are completely incapable of dealing with the western market. And they wonder why they've lost the console war over here, eesh.

Anyway, I went with Conquest in the end, siding with the yanks Nohr. I've 7 chapters in, and, if I'm honest, I'm not impressed. It's nowhere near as good as Awakening. I didn't have a good opinion from the onset thanks to the launch (and playing it straight after PMD, which is another tactical battle game except with better graphics), and although it's not bad, it's not good either. The story is a mess, characters are cliche, the dragon design is ghastly and the shameless money-grab of three different versions is really off putting. Well, I'm still going to keep playing, it will hopefully improve, but things really haven't got off to a good start.

Currently Jacob is looking like my husbando, and total props go to Arthur, the random 'murrican who's just joined my team. FOR JUSTICE.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Mon May 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Meanwhile I've just finished Birthright and am sitting on pretty much the opposite opinion, I like this way more than Awakening overall.

Characters feel about at Awakening's level of mostly being pretty one dimensional with a few standouts and a few really bad ones (there's a male Cordelia who somehow manages to be even more obnoxious than she was) but I found the plot itself way more compelling, that game actually did a good job at making me feel bad for turning against my Nohrian family.

Mechanically is where I really feel it beats out Awakening though. If I remember right I think Birthright has one escape map and the rest is all rout/kill the boss but the maps themselves feel way more interesting (they were also felt way prettier and more varied than Awakening maps). The dragon vein mechanic meant that most of them had something unique going and even on Brithright which is supposed to be the easier path a lot of the later maps felt a lot tougher than the ones from Awakening.
The removal of durability worked surprisingly well, for Birthright at least. In Awakening money was always so freely available that restocking your basic gear felt more like tedium than actual resource managed and I felt much the same here, but now that tedium was only for staves. And unlike awakening I wasn't just spamming silver and brave weapons on everyone once I could since they've actually balanced it to give stronger weapons downsides to compensate. And it made special weapons feel like an actual cool reward rather than a thing you needed to save until the right time to use.
The biggest improvement is definitely the pair up system though, its definitely a nerf from how it was in Awakening but its way more consistently predictable so you can actually reliably incorporate it into your tactics and the fact that the enemies can also pair up and dual strike just like you can lead to some interesting tactical considerations.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the multi version thing too, I felt like I got a full game's worth out Birthright (60 hours over 10 days if my play log is to be believed, though I'm pretty sure that includes a decent chunk of idle time) and now buying Conquest cost me $26 instead of another full $60, feels more like buying an expansion pack, I'd love to see pokemon switch over to a model like this.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:13 am

I think Stu summed it up the best: it feels like Revelations is the actual FE game, and Birthright/Conquest is just an expensive paralogue/demo. It's not a bad game, it just doesn't seem to be working as well as Awakening.

I agree with you about getting rid of durability being a good thing. It took me completely by surprise (I assumed they'd just waived it for brass weapons), and I first thought it was an attempt to make the game more casual, but no, it actually works really well.

Currently stuck in the age old dilemma though: do I marry Jakob, the guy who adores me, treats me like a princess, and is loyal and sweet, or Niles, the charming bad boy who's kinky as fuck? Just met up with Keaton as well, who's adorable. This game has a lot of husbandos going on.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:24 pm

I found Shura and now I'm trapped.

I actually preordered it months ago so I got the one cart with all 3 paths and I'm in love, holy shit. It requires a lot more critical thinking and strategy than Awakening (where I could really brute force most things without too much difficulty) and that's just got me completely hooked. The My Castle thing is cute and fun and the characters are super endearing. I'm in love with my creepy yandere namesake, of course.

But yeah, it's actually giving me a decent challenge and it's just a lot of fun. Would recommend.

Admittedly, having them all on one cart is a big advantage...

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:46 pm

Effie is officially my waifu. Usually I hate the knight units and never use them, but Effie has completely converted me. She's the rock my army is based around. And now she's got Wary Fighter to prevent double attacks, I just park her in a choke point and laugh as enemies ping off her. Best unit.

Finally caved in and married Niles, on the logic that he makes me laugh like a loon, which is always a good sign also every interaction implies we're fucking like rabbits. Also shacked up Azura and Jakob, which is making me feel bad as it's clearly obvious which out of Shigure and Dwyer is the favourite child. Sorry Dwyer, I think you're great ;_;

I have to say though, this game is massively frustrating. I'm having to restart more times than any other game, but not because it's hard/I'm screwing up, but because the game is throwing so much bullshit at me. Take, for instance, the Kitsune Lair chapter. The level is just an open plain, covered in woods to slow you down and two bridge checkpoints (one of which you can ignore). It'd be a crap level at the best of times, except in this mission you have to wipe out a tribe of kitsune. Except the kitsune can turn on invincibility mode, so you can't touch them. At all. Oh, and most of them have Pass, so all what happens is that these fuckers run up to you, turn on cheat-mode, then run straight through your lines and murder anything weak that was standing safely behind everyone.

Also- and according to the internet, I'm not the only one- the RNG is a fucking joke. It's clearly biased. This was another reason the kitsune level was awful. At one point I missed an enemy 6 times in a row with a 75%+ hit rate, but of course, they never missed once. Also they CONSTANTLY got crits, even with a 3% chance. Thing is, they'd never crit a unit that would survive the damage, or a unit that could be killed with a regular hit, oh no. They only crit units that would survive a regular hit but not a crit. At one point I'd wiped everything out save 2 units, who became invincible so I couldn't kill them, then they just ran straight through me, crit Silas and killed him. I had to replay this mission over 20 times, and I very nearly ragequit. Like goddamn.

I'm still playing, but yeah, I'm definitely thinking it's not as good as Awakening.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:20 pm

I actually found that kitsune map to be one of the easier maps in Conquest, just turn on movement ranges and keep your squishier guys totally out of range with the tanky guys on the fringe, the illusions aren't invincible its just you can't hurt them until they attack first so just let them drop their guard by attacking the guys who can take the hit. In fact Ellie in particualr was a total mvp that much, I just slapped a beast killer on her and paired her up with her husband and she pretty much held down the bottom half of the map solo while everyone else dealt with the top. I actually quite enjoyed the difficulty in Conquest, normal classic felt just right, holy shit Chapter 10 though, it never felt unfair but that map was painful, really felt like you needed to know exactly what was going to happen to have a chance.

Currently up to chapter 21 Revelations and actually a little underwhemled by it so far, its nice to have everyone and the plot is fine the the remixes on existing levels felt less interesting than Conquest overall and now the last few maps have just been floating islands which weren't bad but I really enjoyed the visual variety of Birthright/Conquest and hope the rest of Revelations doesn't all just look the same.

As for that rng business it definitely feels like true rng to me, which is probably why is feels so frustrating, I don't know about older Fire Emblems but a lot of games used massaged randomness. I've had some bullshit (I almost got srewed by missing a 99% chance to hit once) but I've also been on the giving end of the bullshit, I've been bailed out by a 3% crit with a low hp Hinata (thanks vantage) or by doding like 3 70+% chance to hit attacks that all would have been fatal

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:34 am

Finally completed Conquest. I didn’t really like it. It’s definitely my least favourite FE game I’ve ever played. The story was weak with plot holes and abandoned plot threads everywhere, the difficulty was all over the place, the children just tacked on to cash in on Awakening’s popularity, and the ‘drama’ was laughable (the death of one character was so ridiculous and over-dramatic I was laughing my ass off during the whole scene). Plus the final level was a shameless rehash of the final level in Awakening (one long corridor, boss at the end, reinforcements coming from small areas on the side, music is a lyrical version of the game’s theme).

I did still get Revelations, although I’m going through it at a snail’s pace because I’ve lost a lot of interest. I probably would have enjoyed it more if Revelations was the actual Fates game, instead of forcing players to go through the extended demo first.

So yeah, sadly disappointed. Admittedly Awakening set the bar extremely high and I wasn’t expecting a game to surpass it, but it really did fall short. Breaking the story into three separate games has just massively weakened it; in Conquest the story felt incomplete, in Revelations it feels rushed since it's avoiding the the character development you're expected to encounter in the other games. It's just a bit of a mess really, sad to say.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:47 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 28 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28

View previous topic View next topic Back to top