The "I need a job" Thread!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The "I need a job" Thread!

Post  TheTJ on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:08 am

Hi, and welcome to the "I need a job" thread. Here we post about looking for jobs, job oppourtunities, and other job related miscellani. For me, well... I still work at GameStop, but There are so few hours I end up only working roughly once a month. For 5 hours. So my monthly paycheck is 40 dollars before Uncle Sam takes a bite. I need a new job.

...Now it's your turn!

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The "I need a job" Thread!

Post  Avalanche on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:21 am

wrote for a newspaper for a year, worked in a supermarket for 2 years...now desperatly looking for my next job. I've been rejected 4 8 times today alone =_=

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:21 am

I work at Burger King. I serve customers and host parties for small children while embarassing myself dressing as a fairy, pirate, or clown, for $10 an hour. Yeaaaaah.

I have a job interview for a receptionist job tomorrow, though. I hope that goes well. =D

(then I can get the hell out of Burger King and the awkward sexual tension between me and my now ex-boss won't be awkward to anyone at all except my co-worker ex-boyfriend and the friend said ex-boss had a crush on).

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Terra on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:20 am

Hmmm... where to start? Suspect -sighs and take a deep breath- I worked mostly in fast food, as a cashier. This including in retail. You actually learn a lot upon how to communicate with others, how to work the crowd, be more social and playful upon working different aspects of your personality, upon what works and what doesn't work. And to get that dough! Laughing As in "Razzle-dazzle enthusias-zzle. Get that cash, get that dough!" when it comes to people/customers tipping you. Wink Of course these past jobs I had as a cashier never last longer than three months if I am lucky. Neutral The longest I had worked was eight months in the health care field. That was the golden year for me, since how I was in something I had a liking toward doing and being in a really good relationship at the time. But all things that seem too good to be true, usually are. And all that came to an end. Sad My last job was working at a pizza joint... that only lasted three weeks. Embarassed So, for the longest time now... my full time job is now looking for another job. It has been my job with how off and on I am often employed. Laughing

Terra
Feral Mercenary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 am

So I actually looked for jobs on the interwebz now and came across something interesting I imideatly made a account for.

Mystery Shopper. Playing the annoying customer and make reviews of shops, stores, hotel, restaurants etc AND GETTING PAID FOR IT

now lets hope I get this one.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:20 am

I'm the opposite of the bouncing from job to job type. I've been with Gamestop for Two and a half years. The problem is I don't want to leave until I get another job set up, but conversley as long as I have the job at GameStop I don't feel pressured to get a second one.

A vicious cycle...

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:29 am

I was in a similar one with a job I openly despised Razz then I went to uni and used it as excuse to kiss that place goodbye

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:26 pm

http://www.fiverr.com/
This isn't necessarily a job per say, but as this site, you can advertise yourself in that you will do something for $5. I heard about this place through Attack of the Show. I really don't possess any skills that would make me efficient enough to make a good quick buck, but for those that do (artists, programmer, ect.). So it's not a job, but you get paid.

As for me, I work for family. As my profile says it's pretty much slave labor... at times. But I do get paid. Though I haven't been getting much hours lately.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Gamestop isn't full time job?

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Avalanche91 wrote:So I actually looked for jobs on the interwebz now and came across something interesting I imideatly made a account for.

Mystery Shopper. Playing the annoying customer and make reviews of shops, stores, hotel, restaurants etc AND GETTING PAID FOR IT

now lets hope I get this one.

Be careful with the mystery shopper jobs, as there's quite a few scams masquerading as them. Before you sign anything make sure the company checks out and never send them money upfront. If they say you need to pay for a setup fee or anything tell them to get stuffed.

My own jobs haven't been very exciting. I had a paper round for years, a short stint in a pet shop (fired because the manager's nephews did my job for free), another stint in a bingo hall (fired because the manager's nephew wanted my job...nephews seem to have a thing against me) and a few years in a kids play area which I loathed because the manager was incompetant and I hate kids (seriously, did more for promoting contraception than sex education ever did). Current job is stacking shelves. Crap job, but the staff are brilliant. It's a great laugh.

I did two months work experience in a famous natural history museum, which was fan-fucking-tastic. I wore a polar bear, dressed up as an explorer, saw two thyaclines, did a guided tour, hauled dead animals about and nearly met Sir David Attenborough. Though I didn't get paid for it was the best job I've ever done Very Happy Also at university I volunteered at a Tudor warship museum. I can tell you a lot of things about rope...

In about two weeks I'm starting a summer job teaching people about the Jurassic Heritage Coast. Really nervous because it involves me moving to the middle of nowhere miles away from my loved ones. But the one thing that's holding me back in terms of getting a proper museum job is my lack of experience. Hopefully this summer job will get me the experience I need to get a permanent job!

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:43 pm

lucky raya....sigh....my problem is an overload of people over the age of 20 who are taking all the teen jobs after losing their higher paying jobs. so i've applied to 12 different places and not a single one replied to me. lucky me. sigh....sooo....i'll draw your selfportrait for 5 dollars guys Very Happy

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jessica.ninness?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:58 pm

good luck with that Raya,hope it works out for you Smile

Well,I'm working for a sometimes coleric doctor for nuclear medicine,who has a horrible wife,who tries to boss me around,but I gotta say,there are more ups than downs.I'm getting payed for 40 hours per week,but in some weeks,I don't even hit the 30 hours,but get fully paid.Lots of free time to spend on friends,games and Capoeira.My other co-workers are quite nice and I was recently working with students from Tyrolia,it was more than aweseome.I'm coaching one of them now for her bachelor essay(subject: MAG3-scan = a examination of the kidneys,showing you how good they are functioning etc.)

One downside: it gets boring rather quickly.You place the patient in the position you want him to be,hope that he doesn't move the slightest bit and wait for up to half an hour or more,until the examination is finished.You can't do jack in the meantime,just sit there,watch and enjoy the radiation.

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:06 pm

i hate having to sit through those things. it seems that the times that you are called to NOT MOVE are the ones that you want to move the most. so i'm laying there, trying to chill when OUT OF NOWHERE i get an itch and i can't scratch it! gar it sucks. Razz

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:09 pm

it's like somebody tells you not to think of pink rhinoceroses Very Happy The ironic part is,that it is as boring to me as it is to the patient ^^

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:10 pm

yup i'm sure. ok bud, lay there for 30 minutes while i twiddle my thumbs! be back in a bit. oh and here! listen to some music while your at it Razz

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Nope,no music,my boss doesn't allow it Razz But I have to admit,I finished many novels and even some DS games at work,although secretly Wink

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:22 pm

wouldn't want to get that too close to the machine.....ach my DS is going haywire! it's sparking and....OH GOD NO MY SAVE DATA!!!! Razz

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:31 pm

No worries there,the machine is harmless,the patients emit the radiation ^^

A,one other negative thing about my job:lame jokes. "Oooooohhhh,you gotta glow in the dark,no problems with reading at night,ey?" no,no,you know,it's kinda helpful,I can charge up solar cells all by my own!....it gets on my nerves

and I'm terribly sorry for going off-topic

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:35 pm

yeah lol....oh and i was serious bout drawing those self portraits guys! or favorite animals or whatever else ya want! help the poor broke girl who can't get a job Razz

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:44 am

YES I got hired as mystery shopper. I get paid for each assignment I do, so now I just have to lurk and wait for a assignment to pop up near me.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:42 am

well tell us whether or not it works....i might try it! Very Happy

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:45 am

getting the assignments is the tricky part :p there are more people who want em.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:06 pm

so just put in ANOTHER app to another business. this time a sno cone shack place thingy called tropical snow. jeez i swear i'll never get a job *sigh*

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 am

Still need a job. Scouring the job site again. D:

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:42 am

BY2K wrote:Gamestop isn't full time job?

Onry keyholders! & even then, its a commitment, lemme tell you >.> Driving half an hour to go to one city, end up crossing the bridge going to San Francisco only to have to flip a bitch & go back to the inventory Razz Fortunately the other manager's are all pretty cool & these inventories end up being total fun-fests, but the travels & the late nights are brutal :/ TJ, what's your region that you work at? I've been with the company since '06, started as a 5 hour a week part-timer myself, worked up through the ranks & here I am, so have you been thinking about working your way up?

P.S. @Avalanche: I had a secret shopper. Yeah, she said that my part timer gave her crappy service, so I made a disciplinary write up cause my boss rained hell at me over the phone. Well when I go down to talk to him about it, he shows me the security camera footage of the transaction....he starts talking to her like normal. & then WALKS OUT FROM BEHIND THE COUNTER, takes her to the wall, & talks to her about games for her imaginary daughter! & she's dismissive to him entirely! Eventually he says 'Hey, if you don't know what to get her, why not a giftcard?' Which she bought!! WTF was a horrible experience about any of that?!?!? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... Mad Secret Shoppers /rage........

Edit:
Raya wrote:I can tell you a lot of things about rope...

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top