There Will Be Brawl Mafia Sign-ups/confirmation

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: There Will Be Brawl Mafia Sign-ups/confirmation

Post  SurgePox on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:33 pm

For those of you who wish to run a game, know that it's a pretty big commitment to take the job of narrator. In general, you should be on at least every day, and at the very least you have to be around to collect night actions and narrate the phase shifts. You have to work to accomodate all of your players, which includes being around to ask questions, carry out actions, and make calls on disputes within the thread. I also highly reccommend that you have strong writing skills, particularly creative writing. I know Quaetam is a bit wordy, but he seriously must have written enough to fill a small novel. Even in my game, I had to crank to get myself to type out a decent amount for each phase. Also, running side forums for mafians and other parties has become almost a requirement at this point, so you have to be around to check those and anwser questions there.

The one skill a good host needs the most, imo, is good judgement. You need to be able to balance your game, come up with fair roles and role restrictions, and make sure every player has a good chance at winning. In this game, you are god, and if you aren't a just god, people won't have fun.

Now don't be discouraged by this. I am sure you are all capable of running a great game, but just know that participating as a narrator is a lot more intensive than participating as a player. You have to create the whole game around your players, which is fun in it's own way, but I don't think any of the other hosts would disagree that it takes a fair bit of work to make a good game. If you are willing to make the time commitment, and if you think you have what it takes, being the narrator is quite rewarding.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:37 pm

haha I think I'd be perfectly able too. I am on pretty much every day, etc etc....I just like playing too much Razz. But judging from that yeah, its quite a big commitment

My nomination stays with Snake, who when given the chance, also is online a lot

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Minby_Aran wrote:There are a few really fun roles that I really would like to see played (Blue anyone?)
Yes. yes yes yes. I hope you're referring to Blue from Pokemon Special.

I wrote up about 10 roles based on the pokemon anime (The one with Ash), which I thought were pretty creative. I'd be stoked to see a pokemon mafia game. Maybe I can throw a few ideas your way. Or maybe I can steal hosting rights out from under you Razz

My vote stays on Snake this round, I think he's waited long enough for his chance to show us what he's got.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:15 pm

I would really, really like to host this game one day, but it's not this day.

I like thinking of roles and game balance and the game I'd make would also be so full of narrative text that it hurts, but I just don't have enough time these days to jump in every other day to end or start the phase.
So fuck it. This one I'll play. I could give some of my messed up ideas to the upcoming host because I'd like to see them used, though.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:07 pm

SuicideAngel wrote:The theme will be AniCon - roles are derived from teh 3 points of the AniCon itself, Gaming, Anime, and the Con Participants. Anime and Gaming roles were derived from Cosplays I've seen at Cons I've been to, or seen online ^^

Ahaha, oh man, I could help you come up with dozens of stereotypes for that XD

Oddly enough I was planning a Pokemon theme too Laughing The mafia would be Team Rocket, of course. The special twist would be that several of the players are Pokemon and could be recruited/caught by either side. Each Pokemon player would have a special ability relating to whatever it was they were. I have a few fun ideas for roles, so no stealing Razz

I'm agreeing with Surge; it takes a helluva lot of work to run a mafia game, especially in the early stages. Aside from all the writeup, stressing over balance and setting up subforums, you always need to be on hand to answer questions and give the results of abilities (at one point I logged on to 12 messages in my inbox!). And mind it doesn't go out of control; I speak from experience that it's a pretty wretched feeling. Saying that, it's a lot of fun, especially watching everybody speculate and get it horribly wrong...or when people use their abilities to hilarious ends! I'd recommend dong it, but you really need to be committed. The GM can't vanish for a few days or chuck in the towel because they're bored. It's hard work, but very satisfying.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:37 pm

well, if you have to go with a pokemon theme like that, I suggest going the extra mile and add evolution as a mechanic. Example, the Trapinch role.

Role: Trapinch
Allignment: recruitable

Seemingly useless, you can become a force to be reckoned with......if given the time and training

Day 1-Day 2: Trapinch. powers: none
Night 2: whats this? Trapinch is evolving!

Day 3-Day 5
: Vibrava. Powers: Arena Trap (role block)
Night 5: whats this? Vibrava is evolving!

endgame powers: Arena Trap (role block) and ....Scan? I unno, think of this of the top of my hat.

A pokemon theme with player pokemon that actually evolve would be real interesting Razz Personally, I'd base it on the TWBB Prequel I'm working on, but since thats a work in progress.....

edit: yes I am aware Vibrava technically doesnt have arena trap...deal with it. it was made up on the spot. As for other roles...Even though Minby used it as a cover for a few days, I really liked the idea of the pressured. A townie thats basically one mafian's bitch. communication goes trough GM. If the mafia he worked under dies, he becomes free of the mafia and a regular townie.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SuicideAngel on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Lol I have most of teh roles done but I'd like to hear your ideas Raya, PM them if you feel like it =)
Since I'm online pretty much all week every week I could handle the questions and stuff. And anyone who's read my Countdown knows I can be a fairly decent writer ^^ I might get a lil upset if my game falls to pieces, but it's w/e - it's a learning experience and even after Raya's game fell apart it wasn't broken enough to cease being fun lol

On a side note I'm confused as to why everyone keeps repeating teh same statements over and over: "Gotta be active, gotta be a good writer, ect."

SuicideAngel
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Another thing: When hosting you probably won't want to just throw your roles in there for shiggles: The game has to be balanced in every direction. My game, as I said from before it started, was under revision and reshaping for about a month and a half to two months before I hosted. It's something, that as said by Raya and Surge, you have to really, completely commit to. While nobody can think of everything, you have to be sure that no one faction can simply steamroll without much effort, and you have to do all you can to wrap your head around the different scenarios that can occur: You don't want to end up forced to come up with something on the spot. And I think it can be said that the end result of such balancing efforts is quite positive.

As for the writeups, what I did may have been a bit much but I hope you'll agree that, again, the end result was quite positive. The finale post for Game 6 was about 5 pages in Word, single spaced, 12 pt. font, but I considered it to be some of my best work. The reason for that is simple: I enjoyed writing it. I loved hosting, and I would do it again in a heartbeat (course I'm gonna wait a good while now-I wanna play again, and I've heard some good ideas from Suicide and Weldar over the past month that look pretty damn awesome!). If you can write well, and have a passion for it, go to town, but there's something even more important involved, something a lot more significant than being able to write well: Make sure you're enjoying yourself writing, and hosting for that matter. It gives a game an artistic touch, writing does, but that is amplified thousandsfold when the host enjoys what he's doing. Being a good writer comes second to having a passion for what you're doing.

And I can assure you, hosting is a blast. If you have the aforementioned commitment, writing skills, and enjoyment of writing, you should probably would make a great host. That's my two cents.

That said, I'm changing my vote from SnakeInABox to SnakeInABox. Snake just seems more ready than that other guy Razz

I also have several ideas for roles, beyond just the Game 6 excluded ones, that might do well in some games. Furthermore, I have a number of death post ideas I didn't get to use. If anyone wants any of these, feel free to PM me.

Raya wrote:especially watching everybody speculate and get it horribly wrong...or when people use their abilities to hilarious ends!

Why, yes, Raya, yes it is... Razz

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Heh, I've also been thinking of a pokemon themed game for a while now myself. I think I'll start throwing my name into the ring of potential hosts again soon but I'm perfectly happy to wait and give new hosts a chance.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Quick repost of the current roster for Game 7-MafiaInABox

1: Minby_Aran
2: Hudsonboy111
3: Smashbro
4: Viero
5: Relmitos
6: Spontaneous Combustion
7: TheTJ
8: Quaetam
9: Fedaykin
10: TD260
11: Weldar
12: Dark Falco
13: SurgePox
14: DRTJR

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SuicideAngel on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:38 pm

I'm in btw x-x sorry thought I'd said somethin earlier

SuicideAngel
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:57 pm

hudsonboy111 wrote:Oh, wait.
Seems as though I won't be around the Internet for some time this summer...
If you feel that you won't be inactive for much of the next game, perhaps you should abstain from playing. :/

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Warchamp7 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:21 pm

A+ poll options.

I'm in for next game.

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Yeah. I went easy on the writing in my first game because there was a sense of newness, so I tried to keep it pretty simple, but I had to throw some tricks in there. Bland mafia bores me, lol. And Surge, if you want to see a few ideas, I'm open to use a few. I'm only at about 15 roles, and seeing how many people we have so far, I could really use some more.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:06 am

It turns out I'll be away more than I'm here for most of July, so, with much regret, take my name off the list.

HUDSONBOY111
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 am

hudsonboy111 wrote:It turns out I'll be away more than I'm here for most of July, so, with much regret, take my name off the list.
It's a bummer to lose a player, but I and everyone else appreciate you having the foresight to know that you won't be able to be around to participate for this game, and are responsible enough to remove yourself.

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:12 pm

You missed me off, Q Sad

SuicideAngel wrote:
On a side note I'm confused as to why everyone keeps repeating teh same statements over and over: "Gotta be active, gotta be a good writer, ect."

Because they're the most important parts! Very Happy You don't have to go overboard with writing if you don't want to, but I'm sure I speak for everybody that we bloody love epic deaths. But bear in mind it's suprising how long it takes to write something up, even if you already have a fantastic idea for it. Make sure you start writing a few hours before you call night!

I'll write up my role ideas and PM them to you~

AvalancheInABox wrote:well, if you have to go with a pokemon theme like that, I suggest going the extra mile and add evolution as a mechanic.

That's a good suggestion. One of the roles involved evolution, but having the Pokemon be able to evolve as an extra ability sounds rather interesting. I'll have to think about that and see if it'll fit...

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:20 pm

after writing the Trapinch one, I realised chances on surviving that long are rather low, so having only a second evolution would work best. Like Kirlia only getting power after 2/3 days, when it evolves into Gardevoir having emotional bond ability, which makes it catch a bullet for its trainer.....Yes its rather sucky for the pokemon player, but hey. Its just a example and al voltorb/electrode/SC does is exploding :P

This would result in the very interesting role of Eevee, who needs his trainer to evolve. Obviously, the trainer gets to pick what he becomes, without knowing the power that goes along with it. You can involve 2 or 3 Eevee's though, chances on 2 trainers picking the same evolution is rather low.

Just throwing suggestions out there, see for yourself what sticks.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Double Post

After this game Raya and I can host the "There will be brawlies" as well Razz with Snake taking a shot at best GM and plenty of open spots for MVP it'll be tight

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:13 pm

who's NOT going to be playing I can bounce roles off of?

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:20 pm

SurgePox wrote:
hudsonboy111 wrote:It turns out I'll be away more than I'm here for most of July, so, with much regret, take my name off the list.
It's a bummer to lose a player, but I and everyone else appreciate you having the foresight to know that you won't be able to be around to participate for this game, and are responsible enough to remove yourself.
Agreed. And remember that there will be future games to look forward to.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:23 pm

UGH I might be forced to be gone for a week around the start of the game maybe. I am going to have to wait a bit in order to confirm this or if there is a way out of it.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:08 pm

TDinaBoxtai wrote:who's NOT going to be playing I can bounce roles off of?

Me. Though I won't be around constantly this summer.

HUDSONBOY111
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:09 pm

i was worried that i might have to drop out of the game but i found out today that the cabin that we are going to be staying in in North Carolina has wi-fi Very Happy

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jessica.ninness?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Hosted several live games of mafia at camp. Playing with just 3 roles reminded me how much of a mimdfuck a simple game can still be. Changes being made. See you all Tuesday.having fun. Hope all are too.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:29 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top