Super Street Fighter IV

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Super Street Fighter IV

Post  Omicron Austin on Sun May 02, 2010 4:20 pm

What the heck, this game has been out for a few days and there isn't a thread about it that I can see!

Who else has picked it up? Haven't had much time with it because of school, but I'm enjoying the heck out of it. The new characters are awesome, and I like the new color-unlock system and trial modes.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Super Street Fighter IV

Post  Sanosukesama on Sun May 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Spoiler:

<3 Ibuki Razz I was so ecstatic last night, managed to score high enough to get a replay uploaded, awwwwwww yeeaaaaaaaaaaaah..... Cool It was against Ken too, <3 taking down those scrubs that pick Shotokan fighters thinking they're good for easy wins. That last one was with a Japanese Dhalsim player who was really pissing me off, kept taking me with jumping overhead attacks Razz Beat him in the end with a jump in MK > 'Naruto-BELIEVE IT!' Ibuki Ultra Cool If you're on PS3, add me dude, I'm down to play some rounds

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Sun May 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Sorry, Xbox. =\

I haven't even had a chance to play online yet. My position is strange; I actually don't OWN an Xbox, my brother does and he brings it home from college every weekend. Other than that, I keep the game at a friend's house and we just play there whenever we get the chance, and there's no need to go online when there's friends around.

Unfortunately, this also prevents me from getting some training mode time in to learn combos and things. >_<

EDIT: In interest of the thread...I'm really loving Dudley and T. Hawk so far. Dudley has many creative combos and he just feels NATURAL to me. (Can't tell you how many times I've had the urge to do a light shoryuken into a heavy shoryuken with Ryu or Ken and it always fails; now it doesn't!). I like all of the half-roll specials as well, it's a welcome change and feels like I'm doing more for some reason. As for T. Hawk, his ultra 2 and super are my favorite ultra and super in the game, simply because they look AWESOME. Pulling off the double-halfroll for Ultra 2 is tricky, though; I need to practice that.

You play Ibuki, have any tips on successfully doing a double-halfroll ultra? (I use the standard Xbox controller, not a stick.)

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Sun May 02, 2010 8:56 pm

I've actually trained myself to alternate between D-pad & Analog myself, depending on moves & situations ;P If you need to do half rolls, you can always treat them like doing 720s & try to pull them off with a jump in attack priming them for execution while moving your fingers in the motion....actually, hang on, I'll try that out right now & see if it works Razz *turns on PS3 & enters Training mode*

OK! Try doing a Standing Medium Kick > Double Half Circle+PPP motions, I found that while T.Hawk was locked into the MK animation he was unable to move & it buffered really nicely into his Ultra. Since the opponent needs to be jumping, most likely the kick won't connect but you don't need it to, since it'll just be interrupted by the ultra ;P Try it out in practice mode a bit, & just hit MK > Half Circles > PPP (while the AI/CPU is set to 'Jump') Hopefully that helps Cool

As for Dudley, damn he's a tough sunvabitch, but he's a solid choice Razz His Dash straights can be a pain especially if you do the ones that go back & then forwards. His overhead spin move is fast too so if you fight turtlers (ie E.Honda Mad ) you can tag 'em really good. His Ultra's pretty devastating too & it goes through projectiles (even Ultra Fireballs if I'm not mistaken...) so he's just cool all around....except if you're fighting against him Razz

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Wed May 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Sweet, thanks!

And...a friend of mine (new to street fighter but not new to fighting games in general) has fallen in love with Ibuki, but I can't figure her out to help him. Got any tips for a new Ibuki player?

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Wed May 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Yeah, do the Challenge-training matches, they'll teach you a lot Razz Two simple & awesome combos are standing HP > crouching HK > crouching HK & WK > MK > HK (all standing) You can do the same setup with WP > MP > HP (you can sometimes follow up these combos with either the neckbreaker or command throw, depending on how the enemy reacts & how close you are to them) ; also try not to jump, Ibuki has moves to get around projectiles, using either her sliding neckbreaker (HCF+P) & her overhead leaping jump (DPB+K) She also has her anti air attack (DPF+K) & her command throw (HCB+P) beats out normal throws & is great for ending combos (also has armor breaking capabilities Cool ) Her EX attacks are pretty useful too, an EX Kunai attack (midair QCF+P) throws 2 Kunai that track the opponent, her EX sliding neckbreaker goes through projectiles & hits 3 times, & her EX overhead kick attack tracks the enemy, hits 3 times & you can throw a kunai after it hits or misses ;P Overall Ibuki is a solid character & has an answer for everything, it just takes a little getting used to since she has so many options (oh yeah, her multi kick attack is awesome too (QCB+K) for ending combos, keeping hitting kick for more attacks & you can hold Down to make the kicks alternate between high & low Razz )

I've been messing around with Makoto myself, her karakusa throw is pretty epic & leads into a multitude of options Cool

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Thu May 06, 2010 5:27 am

xD That's ironic, his second favorite is Makoto! I kind of know what's going on with her, at least a little. I taught him the (pardon my psuedo-names) grab and choke > QCF + P > super > ultra 1 combo. I have only practiced it a total of about 5 minutes though, the timing is a LITTLE tough between the super and ultra 1. It's not as hard for me than for him because I played Ryu in SF4 and did hadouken > super often.

Makoto is one awkward character to play, having the slowest walk speed and the fastest dash. >_<

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Thu May 06, 2010 9:43 am

Haha, she does Razz That's a huge strategy is to mix in her dashes with that forward punch attack of hers (QCF+P) since depending on punch used = distance it goes. She blows at long range since she lacks a projectile & no other means to close the gap, but her abusable Karakusa throw = win. That & her midair overhead kick is awesome Cool My Makoto is nowhere near as developed as Ibuki (y'know, since, I technically first used her in SF3 waaaaaaay back in, what....'96?) but she's really becoming fun & I can solidly say she's my sub character Cool Tell your friend he's got awesome tastes Razz (& someday I'll work on Juri & Cody Razz )

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Thu May 06, 2010 3:20 pm

I really need to practice with charge characters more. I love Balrog, but it's tough to use him.

I never get the chance to practice much, but I need to learn how to do a charge ultra out of a focus attack. Once I get that, I think I'll be good... That, and I need to perfect shoryuken > FADC > Ultra 1 for Ryu (probably my main at the moment). It's difficult with a controller, maybe I should invest in a fight stick sometime.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu May 06, 2010 7:15 pm

I would pick this game up. If I did not suck at these kinds of games. Lol

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Thu May 06, 2010 8:49 pm

That's no excuse!

The original SFIV was the first legitimate fighting game I ever owned. It got me good, it got me interested. Now I play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Blazblue, and Guilty Gear; I freaking LOVE fighting games! Very Happy.

Just get one, and you're automatically much better at the rest. For reals.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu May 06, 2010 8:52 pm

I have XD I have played multiple fighting games multiple times. But I still suck. O_O it is the only kind of game I suck horribly at. No matter how much I play it.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Fri May 07, 2010 10:06 am

Word Viero, you just gotta practice ;P All those guys on YouTubes or the Websites all didn't understand the game engine at some point, but they practiced, trained, asked questions, & with time, they became bad@$$es Cool Super SFIV is really fun because there's a character type for everybody? Like to rush down? No problem, its there. Like to stay back & play mind games? Got you covered. Like to be a total n00b & spam the same 2 moves over & over? Sure!....just don't plan on going too far Razz & just like Omicron said, once you pick one of those games up, you've got the basic gist of them all (Blazblue Continuum Shift <3)

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Fri May 07, 2010 10:11 am

I have Soul Calibur 2. It made me want to give up on this kind of fighting game instead of getting me better at them. I wish there were more Smash Brothers-like fighting games out there.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Fri May 07, 2010 2:54 pm

Oh yeah, about that...Soul Calibur is iffy. Neutral

Technically, IT was my first fighting game (I have all 4 games, actually), and character creation and all of that was fun, but after Street Fighter and Blazblue, I don't even consider it a fighting game. The control system is so awkward, there's so many buttons, and it's just...strange.

Soul Calibur and Dead Or Alive are in a separate category. Street Fighter, Blazblue, Marvel vs. Capcom (or any vs. game, like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom) all have VERY similar control systems that involve simple commands like quarter circles for special moves, blocking by pushing backwards, and have super moves or ultra moves to use. (If you were wondering, SC and DoA use a button to block, not a direction).

Having been a person to play ALL of these games, don't judge your opinion of fighting games on Soul Calibur. Mess around with the true 2D fighters like SF and BB and then you'll love it. There's just something to be said about these games; it's the purest form of video game competition, where the only variables are you and your opponent.

P.S. Brawl/Melee isn't considered a true 2D fighter either. It's leagues different from any other game ever. =P

Last edited by OmicronAustin on Fri May 07, 2010 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Fri May 07, 2010 2:57 pm

I'd like to see more games in SSB's style. Not a overkill of em, just some more variation. Ninja Turtles tried it.........failed miserably I might add

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Fri May 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Avalanche91 wrote:I'd like to see more games in SSB's style. Not a overkill of em, just some more variation. Ninja Turtles tried it.........failed miserably I might add

Heh, that's unfortunate.

SSB is fun (of course; why would we be here?), partly because of all of the lovable characters. Compared to the other fighters I mentioned, though, it really feels like it lacks depth. Melee seemed a little better in that aspect, I suppose, but you can't really compare SSB to fighters because they're essentially different genres.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri May 07, 2010 3:04 pm

I don't think so, I'd have to put SSB in the fighter genre, there's really nowhere else for it.

And while the appeal of a crossover fighting game was what got SSB off the ground, the 4 player free for all is what made it unique. We need to see more of that.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Fri May 07, 2010 3:21 pm

I, um.... disagree. I've played Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2, and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom before, and none are really my cup of tea. I really wish fighting games were more like SSB.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Fri May 07, 2010 3:29 pm

Ha, each to their own, I suppose.

Okay, SSB IS a fighter, but there's different fighting genres. I'd say you have traditional (Street Fighter, Blazblue, vs. Series, Mortal Kombat), 3D fighters that allow for movement through the fourth wall (Soul Calibur, DoA), and then freestyle types, often with 3/4 player, that don't fit this description (SSB, and...for the sake of multiple examples, Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble).

Would you guys agree?

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Sat May 08, 2010 8:49 am

Smash is fun & a fighter, but I think the best sub-category is 'party fighter' just like PowerStone. It goes up to 4 players, allows for zany actions, but for the most part its not too serious of a fighter. Granted it has been brought to tourney levels & guys like Ken are bad@$$ in the game, but for the most part if you bust it out during a party, you know more than 2 people are going to be playing it (unless, your friend didn't bring his extra Gamecube controllers Razz ) I like Smash Brawl/Melee as much as the next guy, but overall I'm more in line with Omicron, Street Fighter just has that 'Oomph' that makes you feel good when you win & think about how you can improve when you lose. In particular Super SFIV feels extremely balanced like every move has an ins & an outs, a way to get around it & counter it, plus the mind games & meta game strategy. Sure there could always be more party fighting games, but after watching some fights on the Replay Channel, I think I'll stick with the Street Fighters & King of Fighters in the worlds Razz

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon May 17, 2010 4:51 am

Hai, I herd you liek Street Fighter so I found a pic with Chun Li and Cammy.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Mon May 17, 2010 5:15 am

I keep playing as Cammy at the Mana Bar. My ex is like "ttly cosplay as her". Um, no. xD

That game is epic fun though. Button mashing FTW. Razz

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Mon May 17, 2010 7:09 am

Ahhhh, this thread gets better & better.... Razz But THIS is what I'm really after Avalanche!

Edit: Go Milla, its your birthday ;P

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Mon May 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Sanosukesama wrote:Smash is fun & a fighter, but I think the best sub-category is 'party fighter' just like PowerStone. It goes up to 4 players, allows for zany actions, but for the most part its not too serious of a fighter. Granted it has been brought to tourney levels & guys like Ken are bad@$$ in the game, but for the most part if you bust it out during a party, you know more than 2 people are going to be playing it (unless, your friend didn't bring his extra Gamecube controllers Razz ) I like Smash Brawl/Melee as much as the next guy, but overall I'm more in line with Omicron, Street Fighter just has that 'Oomph' that makes you feel good when you win & think about how you can improve when you lose. In particular Super SFIV feels extremely balanced like every move has an ins & an outs, a way to get around it & counter it, plus the mind games & meta game strategy. Sure there could always be more party fighting games, but after watching some fights on the Replay Channel, I think I'll stick with the Street Fighters & King of Fighters in the worlds Razz
Wow. I remember that game, power stone. Played it a ton at school. It is crazy as hell and we also laughed our asses off a ton when playing it.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:56 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top