Video game addicts, help me pass my class.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Video game addicts, help me pass my class.

Post  SurgePox on Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:41 pm

As I mentioned in the mafia thread, I have to give a speech soon, and the topic of my speech is video game addiction. As such, I am certain at least a few of you might fall into this category. Here's how you can help: I'm looking to collect a few anecdotes for my speech. The types of anecdotes I am looking for are way in which video game addiction has affected other facets of your life. This could be things like disregarding sleep, food, friendships, or missing other life opportunities. If you have any other fun stories to share, I can more than likely work that in too. I will be asking for a bit of demographic information (name, age, region) so I ask that you reply via PM, unless you would rather share in the thread.

template wrote:Name:
Region(this can be as general as a country or state, or as specific as a city. Nothing more specific than that):
Hours per week played:
Anecdote:

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Video game addicts, help me pass my class.

Post  Blue Madness on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:09 pm

I could contribute, but gaming has never affected my life in a negative way, and that might not please your teachers.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:11 pm

Pretty much the same. All I do is play games but I am not like those losers that revolve their life around WoW and get divorces for it and that junk. I mean I play WoW private server but I am not like that.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:15 pm

Funnily, gaming has become one of the most social aspects of my life. I suppose the Mana Bar helps with that. Though I wasn't actually permitted to game, being a girl, between the ages of like 12 and 17. I'll have a think about it and see if I can add anything, because I most likely can find something to say about my addiction to Pokemon.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Blue Madness wrote:I could contribute, but gaming has never affected my life in a negative way, and that might not please your teachers.
ffffff thanks button

Also, I don't give a shit about pandering. If anything, my teacher would rather I present things in a fair way than picking and choosing things that make it sound bad.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:19 pm

I guess I was addicted to Inselkampf(one early browser game) about 7 years ago and to Guild Wars.Maybe not to the game itself,but to the people playing with me(I've been an outsider for the most time of my life,I sometimes still have problems to connect with a larger group)

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Okay, here you go Surge:

Name: Camilla
Region: Brisbane, Australia
Hours per week played: 10-20 (would be more, but alas, full time work)
Anecdote: I was never one of the kids who grew up with a controller in their hands. Sure, I was hardcore in to Pokemon (though I had no idea what I was doing) and games like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon when I was about 7 years old, but I was discouraged from gaming by my mother - being a girl, it wasn't right that I gamed, I was supposed to be in to clothes and boys and was supposed to be a 'normal' girl. It wasn't until I got my first boyfriend at 17 that I could go back to my gaming heritage - I bought a DS and Pokemon Platinum, and soon after that, Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice. Haven't looked back since.
I guess being a gamer girl has it's upsides and downsides. Positive for me is that living in Brisbane (and being legal drinking age) means I can go to the Mana Bar and talk to other video game nerds. I've never been more social or had more friends in my life and it's actually all thanks to video games. We have conversations, we go play sport together, it's really fantastic.
On the downside, however, there's the objectification that comes with being a girl in a male-dominated society, there's the awkwardness when it comes to regular, non-gamer nerd company, and then there's the alienation. The number of times even my close friends have been mad at me for pulling out my DS, for making Facebook statuses about my Nuzlocke run of Pokemon, for constantly quoting Ace Attorney...I do honestly feel like I don't quite blend in to "normal" society because of my love of games. I guess I just have to stick with my crowd.

Edit: Didn't see the reply by PM thing until now. Derp. Oh well, I don't mind sharing. xD

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Honestly, Video Games have really helped me. They gave me something of a bond between my older brother and I, I learned to read through Games, they got me my first job at GameStop. To be honest, the only negative way Video Games have impacted me was healthwise, but I would probably end up the same way with books, movies, or TV anyway.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:30 am

queen_camilla wrote:
Edit: Didn't see the reply by PM thing until now. Derp. Oh well, I don't mind sharing. xD

It's Ok. tl;dr anyway

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:59 am

SnakeInABox wrote:
queen_camilla wrote:

It's Ok. tl;dr anyway

lawl, thought as much.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:50 am

Videogames have had no negative impact on at all. I make friends through games (met all you guys through a videogame related miniseries), I'm fit, and I still have plenty of irl friends, so yeah.

Hans
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:30 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top