The Language Thread

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is english the hardest language to learn?

20% 20% 
[ 3 ]
80% 80% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 15

Re: The Language Thread

Post  SnakeInABox on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:16 pm

On this forum, we speak AMERICAN.

Also, I understood what you said without a translator!

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:24 pm

I believe you said that exact thing the last time I wrote something in French.

And yeah, that's because I'm taking French 1b (of 5-ish) at the moment. I can't get advanced or any shit, cuz there's only one french teacher and i have no room in my schedule.

HUDSONBOY111
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 pm

I am half tempted to take up a 2nd language at uni. It's a matter of whether I want to continue with French or start with basic German.

Though this wouldn't be until semester 2, I've got my classes lined up for semester 1.

As it is I'm just mastering English, olol. Anything I speak will be with a terrible Australian accent, too.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 pm

queen_camilla wrote:I am half tempted to take up a 2nd language at uni. It's a matter of whether I want to continue with French or start with basic German.

Though this wouldn't be until semester 2, I've got my classes lined up for semester 1.

As it is I'm just mastering English, olol. Anything I speak will be with a terrible Australian accent, too.
totally take german. we could learn it together Very Happy lol

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jessica.ninness?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:51 pm

SnakeInABox wrote:On this forum, we speak AMERICAN.

Snake, that reminds me of something DRTJR said to Barda awhile back, especially since Barda keeps it in his sig.

DRTJR : Vote:barda_ehmos his crime Being french. In America

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:44 pm

queen_camilla wrote:I am half tempted to take up a 2nd language at uni. It's a matter of whether I want to continue with French or start with basic German.

Aussi accents are beast.

HUDSONBOY111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:59 pm

Hahaha mine's terrible. Avalanche and Perry and I believe Raya, Ansem, Sah and Smash have heard me talk. It's pretty awful. Razz

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Ouch, I'm hurt that you forgot me Razz Then again, I can attest that it's bloody awesome.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:24 pm

queen_camilla wrote:Hahaha mine's terrible. Avalanche and Perry and I believe Raya, Ansem, Sah and Smash have heard me talk. It's pretty awful. Razz

naaah, your accent is fine.
Mine impregnates women....not really.

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:33 pm

My friends say I had a British accent when I was little, but slowly that faded away, and I'm left with an untainted a normal accent.

HUDSONBOY111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Oh right, and Minby too. Razz

Also Ansem, it's been over a month and I'm still fine. Phew. Razz

I've been told I sound like Luke from the Professor Layton games. Wat.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:27 pm

queen_camilla wrote:Hahaha mine's terrible. Avalanche and Perry and I believe Raya, Ansem, Sah and Smash have heard me talk. It's pretty awful. Razz
When compared to who it was (I assume your father) that we overheard talking to you before we started playing, you almost don't even have an accent. Razz

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:23 pm

My stepdad? Yeah, hahaha. You should hear my sisters, oh god...

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu May 26, 2011 1:38 pm

Bumping with interesting article:

Rude Germans vs Deceitful Brits

Fed will probably find this highly amusing Smile

The understatements, haha, I am so guilty of doing this myself. And sun-loungers, bloody sun-loungers. They'll be the cause of World War 3 one day.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:41 pm

Why do some Americanisms annoy people?

Americanisms: 50 of your most noted examples

Found this pretty interesting. Had no idea talented was an American word. Also, bi-weekly means fortnightly? I always assumed it meant twice a week because it's, y'know, bi-weekly. Also, fanny packs. Heh heh.

The one that gets me is 'mall'. I hate it. So many shopping centres around here are putting up signs saying 'the mall is open until 11pm!', 'come see the new mall!'. It's not a mall it's a SHOPPING CENTRE GOD DAMN.

Might have been guilty of saying zee instead of zed as a child, but I blame that on too much Sesame Street Razz

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:27 pm

I got a little mad at that list. Many examples I've never used or have never seen used. It IS a Shopping "Cart" not "Trolley", It IS "Math" not "Maths", and Zed is the name of some hillbilly, not a letter of the alphabet. So THERE! Razz

Although I agree fullheartedly about the "Couldn't care less" one.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 pm

I wish people could accept that you do things your way we do things our way. If you think "Maths" is right then use "Maths".

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 pm

This whole 50 things list is crock.

The dude is just a prissy little faggot.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:14 am

Heads up, little rant here. Can I get a little love for the flexibility of the English language already? All I'm saying is that language naturally evolves over time that they become a sense of normalcy. And other words or phrases oftentimes die out in meaning. Think of it as a means of going forward.

I mean shit, a few times I had to stop at the ATM to withdraw some cash for gas in my car whilst all my clothes and shit were in the trunk and hoping the radiator under the hood would hold up through LA traffic. At least recently gas prices haven't been on too much of a hike. I mean, I like having my own transportation for California road trips. Screw the train station, I didn't want to wait on that. Might take a half hour or more longer than what I can cover. Also gives me the option of stopping at an eaterie along the way.

. <- That's a period. Z is 'zee'. The only trolley I used was the one in San Diego that had gotten us from Qualcomm to the convention center.

In short, I could care less about the list. It is what it is, so we deal with it. I'm good with what Americans have been able achieve into a normalcy. If this little rant offended anyone, my bad.

Also, I turn 1 year older next month. You do the math. :B Hella!!

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:19 am

Yall take a note from this here rascal.

You bet your ass smash has a point, its a 10-4, good buddy.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:13 am

"I caught myself saying "shopping cart" instead of shopping trolley today and was thoroughly disgusted with myself. I've never lived nor been to the US either. Graham Nicholson, Glasgow"

Oh wah, cart and trolly are just preferences. Like elevator and lift.

"The word I hate to hear is "leverage". Pronounced lev-er-ig rather than lee-ver -ig. It seems to pop up in all aspects of work. And its meaning seems to have changed to "value added". Gareth Wilkins, Leicester"

Well lee-ver-ig and lev-er-ig are pronunciation issues, and it means value added because if you're moving a big object and you gain leverage, it's easier to move. If you're trying to accomplish a task and you get something that may help you, it's doing something along the same lines.

"Train station. My teeth are on edge every time I hear it. Who started it? Have they been punished? Chris Capewell, Queens Park, London"
IT'S A STATION FOR TRAINS. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US? IS IT BAD TO HAVE A SIMPLE LOGICAL NAME FOR SOMETHING?

"To put a list into alphabetical order is to "alphabetize it" - horrid! Chris Fackrell, York"
Horrid. Right. shut up you whiny bastard.

"I'm a Brit living in New York. The one that always gets me is the American need to use the word bi-weekly when fortnightly would suffice just fine. Ami Grewal, New York"
Uh... Here.

biweekly (not comparable)

Occurring once every two weeks.
(chiefly UK) Occurring twice a week (but see the Usage notes).

[edit] Usage notes

Like bimonthly and biennially, but unlike biannually, in the adjective and adverb senses, the prefix bi- applies to the week rather than to the events that occur, therefore giving the sense of “every two weeks”. Since the term is also used in the UK to mean “twice a week”, it is ambiguous there. In British English, for the sake of clarity, it is advisable to use one of the synonyms instead.

"Going forward? If I do I shall collide with my keyboard. Ric Allen, Matlock "

I don't even get why this is a problem.

"My worst horror is expiration, as in "expiration date". Whatever happened to expiry? Christina Vakomies, London"
No idea what you're talking about.

"I hate the fact I now have to order a "regular Americano". What ever happened to a medium sized coffee? Marcus Edwards, Hurst Green"

^THIS GUY has a point.

"My brother now uses the term "season" for a TV series. Hideous. D Henderson, Edinburgh"

Series DOES make more sense, but in our defense, shows usually used to run for a natural season or so. Thus the name.

"I hear more and more people pronouncing the letter Z as "zee". Not happy about it! Ross, London"

To quote weird al, "I never learned my alphabet from A to Zed."

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:29 am

When will people just accept that British English and American English are inherently different. After America's independence, countless people pushed for a new language to support a new national identity. Most of the changes fell through (Razz) but a few things stuck from a few people, and as we grew as a country, we created our own colloquialisms.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:02 am

This is why I like Australian English.

It's evolved in to an amalgamation of both. Razz

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:21 am

I like dutch english more. It is so majestic.

Don't mind all the wind comments, its the point of the commercial. His english is just so amazing.

Yeah, you should all be glad me, roy and ansem hide our accents so well Razz

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Totally love you Smash <3

And heh, calm down guys. It's not attacking Americanisms per se; after all, you'd expect to hear them in America. It's complaining about Americanisms being used in British English. I can understand why for a lot of them; to a Brit several of them are grammatically incorrect, so not only sound wrong but coming from a Brit makes that person sound like an idiot. There's also a lot of redundancy; why use an entirely new word or phrase when there's already one that describes it? Take elevator/lift. It's not an evolution of language, it's replacing a word for no other reason than you watch too much TV. It's just...irritating. I'm not saying that Americanisms are bad, but in the context of British English they don't fit well and sound wrong. That's the point of the article.

Let's just accept we all think other people talk funny Laughing

@td: A station is always assumed to be the place you catch trains from, so adding 'train' to the front is a bit unnecessary. I mean, what else are you going to catch from there? Razz The only time you specify is when it's not a train, like a bus station. Then again nearly every town in Britain had a train station at some point, so that's probably why. Perhaps just more common over here so no need to add 'train'?

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top