The Language Thread

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is english the hardest language to learn?

20% 20% 
[ 3 ]
80% 80% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 15

Re: The Language Thread

Post  Smashy B on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Raya wrote:Totally love you Smash <3
<3 I was hoping you'd like it.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Raya wrote:Totally love you Smash <3

And heh, calm down guys. It's not attacking Americanisms per se; after all, you'd expect to hear them in America. It's complaining about Americanisms being used in British English. I can understand why for a lot of them; to a Brit several of them are grammatically incorrect, so not only sound wrong but coming from a Brit makes that person sound like an idiot. There's also a lot of redundancy; why use an entirely new word or phrase when there's already one that describes it? Take elevator/lift. It's not an evolution of language, it's replacing a word for no other reason than you watch too much TV. It's just...irritating. I'm not saying that Americanisms are bad, but in the context of British English they don't fit well and sound wrong. That's the point of the article.

Let's just accept we all think other people talk funny Laughing

@td: A station is always assumed to be the place you catch trains from, so adding 'train' to the front is a bit unnecessary. I mean, what else are you going to catch from there? Razz The only time you specify is when it's not a train, like a bus station. Then again nearly every town in Britain had a train station at some point, so that's probably why. Perhaps just more common over here so no need to add 'train'?

Stations weren't that common here, i think. Probably because there was more land, less rails and more people. Also, Gas Stations.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:32 am

Necro-post!

Anyway, something I've noticed between Swedish and English.

When running the two Swedish words "studievägledare" and "skolkurator" through Google Translate, they both give me "school counselor".

When looking up "school counselor" on Wiktionary, I get:

1. (US) A professional member of an educational team who assists students in theirpersonal, social, academic, and career development aspects of education throughservices such as individual counseling, small group counseling, and classroom teaching, and provide leadership in educational reform (advocacy); traditionally known as a guidance counselor, although this term is deemed inaccurate by most professionals today.

Which to me sounds like a mix of both.

Anyway, in Swedish, while they both work at schools, their jobs are very different.

A "studievägledare" (literally "study guide") or "studie- och yrkesvägledare" ("study- and job-guide") is someone who helps you find out what you want to study on the next level of education or what you want to be when you grow up and which courses you'd need to take now in order to qualify for that.

A "skolkurator" (not sure what the literal translation would be; "skola" means "school", but despite the similarity of the words "kurator" is not the same thing as "curator") is basically the lite version of a psychotherapist. It's someone the kids can go to if they feel bad and need someone to talk to.

Maybe someone from the Anglosphere can shed some light on this for me?

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Idk, school counselor here is bascially a light psychologist. I guess the one thing just inevitably covers both.

I was thinking about how in Australia we shorten 'bottle shop' to 'bottle-o' and how that probably would be confusing, then I realized that Americans don't even call them bottle shops, they call them liquor stores. I guess that's the thing with talking to a lot of people overseas, sometimes when I go to say things I realize it's Australian slang or at least a different word for something than it is overseas.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:42 pm

See I'd call the former of those a careers advisor and the latter a school counselor. Usually you end up with one person filling both of the roles but they're not necessarily always the same person.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Weldar is right, it sounds like studievägledare is a careers advisor, someone who points you in the right direction for taking courses, apprenticeships etc for getting the job you want in the future. Skolkurator is the school counselor, who helps students deal with stress, teenage angst and emotional issues. I think Skolkurator is going to be the name of my new death metal band after Terrorvögel disbands. Sounds pretty badass.

On the subject I'm glad this thread got bumped, I saw this video and think Fed might like it. Though he'll probably know the punchline each time Razz

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Thu May 21, 2015 4:28 am

So I found this list of what you get when you try to do literal translations of some common Swedish words into English.

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top