How and when were you introduced to computers and video games?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How and when were you introduced to computers and video games?

Post  Bugman on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 pm

In this topic, we discuss how we were introduced to the world of PC and video games, or just technology in general.

I had my first play with a video game at 3 years old. Super Mario Bros. Needless to say, I was hooked and couldn't let go of the controller. I received my first video game console, the SNES at 6 years old, with a copy of Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. My uncle went trough half that game on day one, it was awesome.

At 9 years old, my father, on a completely random night, came back home with a copy of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. He wanted to try it. He hated it (not because he though it was bad, it really isn't his kind of games). He let me try it. I love it, thus begin my love story with the Zelda series.

The first computer my family had was when I was something like 9 years old. My father is a fanatic of that stuff, it's pretty much because of him that I got into video games, and God bless him for that. My sister helped me create my first e-mail and gave me my first nickname, which is still use to this day; BY2K (which at the time was Bogue2kw, but I "upgraded" it since), when I was 11 years old.

Today, I have my own computer.

So, how did you got into techno stuff?

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How and when were you introduced to computers and video games?

Post  .. on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Well... I am not sure really about Video Games.

I think my family was naturally trained for Nintendo. I remember my Grandma, and Grandpa were totally l33t at Dr. Mario. You know how the top level is 20? They got to fucking 30. My Grandpa was beast at the original Super Mario. I remember my Grandma playing Ocarina of Time a little bit. So my family has been Pro-Nintendo forever. But overall I think the first System I played was the N64. But I do distinctly remember playing A Link To The Past on the SNES.

As for PC. Well, I got 007 Nightfire for the PC and tried to play it. I didn't understand the control scheme. I was probably 10. Then when I was 11 I started playing it again, and understood everything. Sooooo I played Nightfire for a year or so, then went to Battlefield 1942, then Battlefield 2, then I migrated over to Valve/Steam...... aaaaaannd 5 years later, here I am.

I wish my Grandparents still played Nintendo, >.<

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 pm

I remember i was four or five and my uncle was getting married and the new wife wanted him to throw away all of his games so he gave them to me, that summer I beat Super mario bros. 1, 2, and 3, the Legend of Zelda, LoZ II AoL, Final fantasy 1, 2, and 3, Metriod and supper metroid, A link to the past, Chrono Trigger, F zero, Star fox, Earthbound, and a bootleged copy of Fire emblem Seisen no Keifu. BEST SUMMER EVER!

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Sounds like it. My first memory of playing video games, was at a family gathering when I was really young, can't give you an exact age, but probably 4-5. Anyways, was at the family gathering at a house shaped like an octagon (was an AWESOME house) and was wandering around exploring. I managed to get into some room where this older guy was playing Sonic the Hedgehog 3 on the Sega Genesis. After watching him for awhile, he let me play with him on the vs. mode. Of course I failed miserably at it, but it was incredibly fun. Next birthday I had, I got a Genesis for myself, it came with StH 2, and I got 3 on the side. Had a lot of fun with those. That would be why I'm a die hard Sonic fan.

Computers, no idea when I played around on my first one.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:39 pm

I had derped around on my older siblings gameboy before this, but this I remember as my distinct first foray into video games. I know I've explained this before, so rather than retype it, I'll just quote myself.
surgepox wrote:The year was 1996. The location was probably a Gamestop or whatever the Gamestop equivalent of 1996 was. A five year old surgepox is led in by his father to pick out a birthday present. That's when I laid my eyes on it, the most colorful and bright thing in the store: An N64 demo station equipped with Super Mario 64. I HAD to play it. To this day I still remember hopping around on course two. Anyways, the person working there tried to tell us that we should get a playstation, as it had a larger game library and better graphics, but it fell on deaf ears to me. I HAD to have that game.

A quick tantrum later, and I was the proud owner of my first video game console, and the rest is history.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:42 pm

The gamestop or whatever employee was clearly a Sony fanboy.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:08 pm

BY2K wrote:The gamestop or whatever employee was clearly a Fucking Moron.

Fix'd

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:46 pm

I don't really mind. He was correct, Playstation did have a larger library out already, and sm64 was a launch title and at the time it was a new game. I got the thing I wanted, and I am sure I would have been happy with whatever.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:58 pm

*read in an irish accent*

aye, i was just a wee lassie when i found the world of game, ma pa and ma played them and had a nes hooked up ta the tellie.

yeah. my first game was probably super mario brothers. so i've been a nintendo girl all my life. my first memory was of sitting in front of the t.v. with my mother playing super mario brother and playing against her in super mario bros 3. she won almost every time of course, which made me rather mad. i was a rather sore loser Razz

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jessica.ninness?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:15 pm

DarkFalco wrote:
aye, i was just a wee lassie when i found the world of game, ma pa and ma played them and had a nes hooked up ta the tellie.

I read that with the Demoman's voice.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:29 pm

Outlaw wrote:
DarkFalco wrote:

I read that with the Demoman's voice.

i'd feel sorry if ever there was a woman with a man's voice XD

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jessica.ninness?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Warchamp7 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 pm

I had a NES since I can remember, probably 2 or something. Super Mario Bros so good.

I distinctly remember that I bought my N64 with my own money when I was like 6. Never forget, 179.99. Bought it at Toys 'R Us

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:52 am

Aye. I've been suckered in by my enviroment.

During a visit to my grandma, she noticed me and my little brother were bored out of our minds. So she dusted off my pa's old NES. I really couldn't have been older then 5 or 6, and I started playing duck hunt and mario bros. When megaman 2 was dusted off, we found it was hard as fuck, and asked my dad for help. We watched fascinated as he played all the while to dr. Wily in a few visits, but even he couldnt beat him. Henche, this game haunted me till earlier this year where I downloaded a emulator and beat him.

I was shocked when grandma actually sold the NES. But my next encounter with games was right around the corner in the N64 era. I was/am a huge pokemongeek, but I wasnt very familiar with the entire games concept. I was just a little kid after all and my world was very small. When I visited a friend and he showed me pokemon blue on the gameboy I nearly jizzed myself as a 6/7/8 year old. I had to have one, and saved my allowence for a whole damn year with my little brother to buy a gameboy color and pokemon blue. It was the most mythical feeling ever, and we were so enthousiastic. "ROOY I JUST FOUND A NIDORAN" "NO WAY, WHERE?.

A friend of mine has PS1 which got me suckered into consoles as well. But since I had fond memories of the NES, I would buy a N64. Once again, saving my allowence for a whole year with my little brother. To once again buy a pokemon game.

And we were happy.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:19 am

My cousin has had an SNES for as long as I can remember. He's 3 years older than me, so he probably had it since I was born.
He didn't have many games, but he did have Super Mario World, which I absolutely loved back then, and still do to this day. My every breathing moment was nothing but anticipation to go to his house and play SMW. He was beast at the game, I wasn't, so he'd always collect lives for the both of us. XD
So, effectively, I was introduced to games at birth, or something like that. XD

My first console was an NES, which I unfortunately don't have anymore. We sold it, and a few weeks later my parents took me to the store to buy a new console. I didn't know any of that, of course. My parents, especially my father, always had this annoying habbit of taking me to places without even bothering to tell me where we were going or what we were going to do. My father STILL does this. But anyways, that day I came back home with an N64, which I still have and deeply treasure. Seriously, if you as much as touch it's box with ill intentions, I'll fucking break your arm.
I think it's funny, but the only thing I remember from that day is entering the store. Nothing else, at all, absolutely.

All I did for a while was rent Super Mario 64, until my father bought me 4 games: Star Fox 64, Goldeneye 007, S.C.A.R.S. and Bomberman Hero. The last 2 sucked, and Bomberman Hero was stolen while at the care of a friend of mine. Not that I care. As I grew up, I eventually came to understand what "Nintendo" was, and everything concerning it, and grew attached to it, more and more. Then my father bought me Ocarina of Time, and it was done. A fanboy was born. The GameCube, GBA SP and Wii that followed were merely nature doing it's job, as well as with the 3DS that is yet to come.

Computers also come somewhere around the N64 era, but it was a lot more subtle.

Hah, and I thought this was going to be a 2-line post when I was beginning. Go me.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:31 am

You people make me feel so damn old. Want to know what my first one was?

That's right, a ZX Spectrum. The games came on cassettes! I distinctly remember one I loved called Mummy's Revenge, where you had to run round a pyramid and collect items whilst avoiding various mummies trying to kill you. Rather like Pacman, come to think of it.

I have a very clear memory of getting my first proper console; it was my NES on Christmas 1990. I was 5, two weeks away from being 6. Since it was the biggest box I saved it until last. I opened it and there was a NES with Mario, Duck Hunt and the light gun. I loved my NES. Perhaps partially because I never had a SNES (I ended up buying my own when I was 17). The NES lead me to getting a Gameboy a few years later, although my next non-handheld was an Amiga 600. Course most of the games I wanted were for the 1200, but there were classics I loved, like Monkey Island, Civilization, Simon the Sorcerer, Colonization...my Amiga got me into adventure and strategy games.

I still have my old computers. Much to my mother's chagrin, no doubt Razz

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:45 am

Raya, you're fucking awesome. I've never played a spectrum game, but have played and loved every one of those classics you named.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:22 pm

Raya wrote:That's right, a ZX Spectrum.

I'll see you and raise you a

Ok, ok, an Atari wasn't my first so you win there, but I still have one laying around somewhere, complete with Pacman and Frogger. I'd have to go look at the complete title selection. It was my dad's, and we just can't get rid of it. I'm terrible about getting rid of those kinds of things. I have this suitcase full of instruction manuals from old games just to have them.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:01 pm

ok, so pretty much this.

My family is pretty huge, i have 1 brother, and 2 sisters, and my parents got divorced pretty fast, and both remarried with single mom/dad. So in all, i had 5 siblings. And my oldest brother was fucking smart, so my stepdad gave him his old atari. He loved it, so he suckered the rest of us to help him beg for a nintendo 64. So we did, and we soon got it, and every birthday we got a new game we all could play. It was freagin sweet. I went straight for the gameboys too, and got me Pokemon Red as soon as it came out, we all played it and it was magical, just like Av's.

My dad's household stayed nintendo, with gamecube, various gameboys and a wii, whilst my mothers switched to Playstation 2 after we were done with the N64, and went for a PS3 when it came out.

Internet is pretty vague, i cant remember it very well, i do remember the first time i got on google video, and after that youtube, it was sooo cash, because i could listen to live performances of Primus on that stuff. Yes, when i was introduced to the internet, i listened Primus, fo sho.

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:13 pm

Ansem wrote:
Internet is pretty vague, i cant remember it very well, i do remember the first time i got on google video, and after that youtube, it was sooo cash, because i could listen to live performances of Primus on that stuff. Yes, when i was introduced to the internet, i listened Primus, fo sho.

Oh man, the internet! Settle down kids, I'll tell you a story of a bygone age.

My first encounter was when I was in secondary school. Back in those days 56K was the speed of light. The school computers had Netscape. Out of school I'd hire the computer at my local library. It was £1 for 30 minutes to use the internet (now they have about 20 computers at broadband speed for free. Ah, progress). I still remember the first website I went to- the homepage of the Sci-fi Channel.

I first discovered forums when I was about 13. There were no avatars, you had to manually write out your signature everytime you wanted one, you had to click each post title to read it (which was a bitch if the thread derailed in different directions) and you could break the entire board by leaving a marquee tag open.

When I finally got the internet at home it was 56K and I only used it for about an hour every 2-3 days because you could either use the internet or the phone, not both. I used to open up about 15 windows and leave it to load whilst I made a cup of tea. They'd generally have loaded by the time I got back! A lot different than today Razz

I also remember the day when I upgraded by computer from 16MB of RAM to 32MB. WORKING AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT, HOLY SHIT THE FUTURE IS NOW.

You kids today with your avatars and broadband, not like that in my day, grumble grumble...

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:12 pm

Game Boy. I was four, I believe, and I got a brick of a game boy for Christmas. The instructions were in Chinese and the game was pretty dodgy, but at the same time: it had Contra, Super Mario Land, Doctor Mario...okay the only ones I played were the latter two, but still. Never finished Super Mario Land. I am a pretty crappy gamer.
PC, I had kiddy educational games, like The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis (zomg <3), and some other learning based ones.
I got a PS1 for my 7th birthday - when I was introduced to Crash Bandicoot. Later, Spyro. Still bloody great games. The only ones I've gotten close to fully completing are Spyro 1 and Crash 3, though. Sad
And about that time I got Pokemon Yellow and a Game Boy Color. My dad created a monster. Look at me now. xD

Then I wanted a PS2 but mum wouldn't let me have one.
So it wasn't until I was 17 that I got back in to gaming (I was banned, then at 17 I was like 'whatever'), ironically due to my last boyfriend. I guess he was good for something. I mean, if he hadn't shown me the Escapist, I wouldn't have found this place. Very Happy

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:29 pm

My first console, like many it seems, was the NES, and I played the shit out of Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Had other games too, but those were my favorite. It had belonged to someone in my family, but I'm not exactly sure. I think the system was my aunt's or uncle's but they never used it cause they were starting a family, and so my grandmother got it to give it to me. That or she already had it... Moving on. My dad wasn't very wild about me having it, but my mother didn't care. My dad has always had an anti-video games attitude. Couple years later, I got a Game Boy color for Christmas and my first games for that were Gallery 2, and Tetris. Got Pokemon Red sometime later after I was completely engrossed with watching my friend play it. When the GBA came out, I got that, and got the Zelda Oracle of Seasons and later Ages games and got hooked on Zelda through that.

Never got a Super Nintendo or an N64 cause my father wouldn't allow it, so that meant I'd mostly be over at a friend's house that did have one of those systems. And then my parents got divorced, and I was not phased by the change at all. I don't know why, but it was quite an easy adjustment for me. Soon after I got a Game Cube as a Christmas present for my mom's house, and became a big Nintendo fan. Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion were my first games, and I loved them. Melee became my favorite, and from that I had a curiosity to play at least one game from the series where every one of those characters were from. That's how I got into Fire Emblem once it was released stateside, though I never did get to Earthbound.

Eventually I brought my NES over to my Dad's since I didn't play it once I got my GC. It lasted for some more years, never broke. Then one day my dad sold it at a yard sale. It's not a big deal now nor was it then (porbably sold it for real cheap too). I told him it could have been a collectible someday. He didn't believe me. :/

Computer wise, the only things I had were some educational stuff like Math Blaster. The only real game I suppose I had was Backyard Baseball. It was fun then. Wasn't until early 2009 that I got into real PC gaming.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thwompman64 (Goombill) on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I was introduced to both at the age of 3. I was playing Sonic CD, which, in my opinion, is the best Sonic game I've played. I didn't get it back until, like, ten years later, though.

Thwompman64 (Goombill)
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HUDSONBOY111 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Christmas of '04 I got a PS2 with Jak and Daxter: TPL, ATV: Offroad Fury 2, and Grand Torino something or other. I got Sly Cooper and the Thevious Raccoonus shortly thereafter. Jak and Sly are my two favorite PS2 game series. And My God was it awesome to be a 7-year old with that stuff.

HUDSONBOY111
Police Chief Link's Elite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Ahh, PS2. I always wanted a PS2 but that was when my mum told me gaming was a waste of time.
Pulled out the PS1 at a friend's place the other night. My first console. We played Spyro 1 and Harry Potter and are determined to have a Crash Bandicoot marathon. 1, 2 and 3, and Team Racing - the GOOD Crash games. xD

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:05 pm

oh god... My first game was Harry Potter 3 for the GBA. Because my parents were WAAAAAAAAY overprotective, they were worried that playing vieo games would corrupt my young mind and lead me to violence- so they would only let me get a safe, franchised game, from a source material they could trust- happy potter. from there, I ended up breaking my leg. My friend game me Super Mario Bros 3 remake for the GBA. I then bought Zelda Minish Cap. from there, I made up for lost years of gaming. I have this compulsive need to play all the games/read all the books in a series, so from Minish cap, I woked backwards to Link's awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, Link to the past, and the GBA remakes of the first two games. and then just went from there.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:52 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top