Shaun Himmerick says the PSP2 is real, in devs' hands.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shaun Himmerick says the PSP2 is real, in devs' hands.

Post  Bugman on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:14 pm

“We’re not launching day one on all consoles like that. We are looking at them; we have a PSP2 in the house and we’re looking at the engine, like what can it support. Always a big thing for us is the performance. We’re running at 60 fps, what can we do and do we have to build all the art assets over. We’re definitely looking at them. PSP2 looks like it’s a pretty powerful machine. We don’t have a 3DS system in house yet, but we’re looking to get one, and we’ll certainly look at what its power is.”

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/psp2-is-real-pretty-powerful-and-in-developers-hands/

First mistake: Letting Nintendo take the first step with the 3DS... twice. (Once in March, the other at E3 2010.)
Second mistake: Not showing anything at TGS while Nintendo wasn't even there, thus the ground was clear for an announcement without being overshadowed.
Third mistake: Seems pretty powerful if it can run games at 60fps, but that's the thing, it's only power, nothing unique. (Thus far.)

It's not like I want Sony to win a portable war against Nintendo (they can't anyway, no matter how hard they try.), but they can't do another PS3. They CAN'T screw this one up.

They already lost EVERY penny they did with the PS1 AND PS2 because of the PS3 (true fact, btw), they can't afford to release another overpriced portable that only has power has an argument. Nintendo already has the support from pretty much everybody on the market, they have to bring the big thing if they want that back.

They only have one shot, they CAN'T screw it up!

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shaun Himmerick says the PSP2 is real, in devs' hands.

Post  TD260 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:49 pm

wasn't that sega's argument? It was more powerful than the NES? not to dump on sega, but look what happened to them...

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:02 pm

PSP never sold more than the DS, the PSP2 won't sell more than the 3DS.

Its that simple, unless they have something up their sleeves (which they don't) then it will fail.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:08 pm

Whatever they do, NO UMD and NO NEW FORMAT!

Use an already existing one, for crying out loud!

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Outlaw wrote:PSP never sold more than the DS, the PSP2 won't sell more than the 3DS.

Its that simple, unless they have something up their sleeves (which they don't) then it will fail.
isn't it supposed to have a touchscreen now?

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:17 pm

The rumours goes for a multi-touch.

Of course, that means no 3D.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:23 pm

pft. like anyone can make a touch screen and 3d in a handheld. O WAIT

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:27 pm

That's not what I meant.

Nintendo said at last E3 that they tried to make a screen that was both a touch screen and 3D, but they quickly realized the poking was screwing with the 3D effect, so it was cut.

And since Sony will obviously be going again for one big screen instead of two, they can't make a screen that is both multi-touch and 3D, EVEN with glasses.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:29 pm

still. it's fun to make fun of them. and didn't that news article posted here say the touch was on the back?

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:24 pm

This makes me realized. I want to nominate the PSP2 for the "Worst Kept Secret In the Industry" award.

And guess what, it beats the PSPgo...

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:25 pm

My philosophy is, it all comes down to games. They can make whatever sytem in whatever way they like, but it's the games that decide if people will play it or not. I don't buy a system unless there are games I want to play on it.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Well, Nintendo already has the support of pretty much everyone in the industry.

And with a brand new Resident Evil and a port of what is considered the best of the Metal Gear Solid games, me think it seals the deal, Sony should have been faster.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:45 pm

sony is in the tank, and they ain't getting out. now, imagine if nintendo buys out sony's gaming company... and creates something with PS3 graphics on like, the wii.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:05 am

BY2K wrote:Well, Nintendo already has the support of pretty much everyone in the industry.
As they continue to double dip with their old titles. Just sayin...

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:10 am

It's far from being a bad thing for me.

We're getting a OoT and Star Fox 64 remakes, for crying out loud.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:26 am

Yeah, they're great. We know. But how long can you re-release old titles and take in money. It's being very lazy if you ask me. Give us something new. At least this time they're actually getting graphical improvements. I'm not getting the 3DS for OoT. Maybe StarFox. Doesn't mean I won't get them though. I'm more interested in the new Kid Icarus personally.

What Surge said is dead on though. We all love Nintendo and know what kind of games they can release, but you can't write off Sony yet cause they can still get some super awesome games that people have to play on their new system.

BY2K wrote:Third mistake: Seems pretty powerful if it can run games at 60fps, but that's the thing, it's only power, nothing unique. (Thus far.)
I'm just going to nitpick and say that you yourself are nitpicking here as that's not a "mistake."

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 am

I'm not saying being more powerful is a bad thing, but not only is the 3DS more powerful, it has something the other doesn't have, 3D and motion control.
If Sony really wants to make something different, they need to come up with something more than just power.

Now, Nintendo was also guilty of the same thing. The Gameboy, the Gameboy color, the GBA, all of these only has one major difference, the number of bits they could show. It took Sony entering the portable market to get Nintendo to come up with something more unique for their next portable, dual-screen, including a touch screen. It worked.

You want to know how Sony was succesfull with the PS1 and PS2?

They. Got. Lucky. They were at the right place at the right time. It's also BECAUSE of Nintendo that Sony got into the gaming market in the first place.

During the SNES days, Nintendo was working on a CD-based add-on for the SNES with Sony. What happened? During an event in which the add-on was supposed to be showcased (it was CES, I think) Sony was alone to present it, because Nintendo already decided to drop the project, but never told Sony. NINTENDO STABBED SONY. So while Nintendo was working on that add-on with Phillips, Sony decide to keep the project and transform it into their first console, the Playstation. Yup, Nintendo is in big part responsible for the creation of their biggest nemesis.

Back at the Nintendo 64 days, Nintendo was being too conservative. Still going with the cartridge format they had total control of, and third-parties didn't like that. (It's the very reason why Square-Enix decided to not release FFVII on the 64.) They all decided to give better support to Sony and the Playstation, using CDs, a format that let them do much more than a cartridge. The result, the Playstation had more, bigger games and gamers liked that. History repeats with the release of the Playstation 2.

So yes, for a while, being more powerful was the only argument necessary, but not anymore.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:15 am

smashbro wrote:Yeah, they're great. We know. But how long can you re-release old titles and take in money. It's being very lazy if you ask me. Give us something new.

A long time, apparantly. There's a reason that you can download old games off of the internet to your wii/xbox360/PS3, and I'd wager that's because zounds of people do, in fact, buy them. I know I'm guilty of it, heck. I still think that capcom making new 8bit MM games was being very lazy, but that's another story entirely.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:41 am

smashbro wrote:Yeah, they're great. We know. But how long can you re-release old titles and take in money. It's being very lazy if you ask me. Give us something new.
Apparently for a very VERY long time if you look at Mario.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:12 pm

BY2K wrote:I'm not saying being more powerful is a bad thing, but not only is the 3DS more powerful, it has something the other doesn't have, 3D and motion control.
If Sony really wants to make something different, they need to come up with something more than just power.
This isn't true. I love my PC, but it doesn't have motion controls or 3D, it has power. It can run very complicated and very graphically detailed games (well, not MY PC, but you get the idea), and that's nothing to shake a stick at. It's not "better" or "worse" than 3d or touch, it's just different strokes for different folks. Devs that want to work with all the toys nintendo puts on the table will work for them. Devs that want to make more conventionally formatted games will put them out on psp2. The result is win/win for us, as we'll be able to enjoy the best of both worlds on two different handhelds. I'm happy the psp2 isn't trying to compete directly with Nintendo by trying to come up with the next big new thing, and if it gets good games, I might just buy one.

Good games.

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:15 pm

How much do you guys want to bet if Sony dose end up making another hand held that it will be a 3D rip off?

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Surge, PCvsConsoles is different than ConsolesvsConsoles.

A console, whatever it is motion sensitive or 3D, will never replace the usefulness and versatility of a PC (besides, PC can be 3D too and it is less expensive than 3DTV for the same technology).

And I stand my point, Sony got lucky, because they arrived at a time when devs wanted to make bigger games, and Nintendo didn't give them the tools to do it, Sony did.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:23 pm

I'm not doing anything versus anything, I don't buy into that shit mentality. I like anything independent of what anything else does. PC served as a relevant example of why power can matter, and isn't to be discounted. I am sorry if context of the example went over your head.

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:30 pm

We don't know that the 3DS is more powerful than the PSP2. Also, Sony is actually trying something different from Nintendo with they're hand held: It's going to have phone capabilities (source: IGN Daily Fix 9/17/10). That's kind of a bid deal, as that is how Apple has vastly expanded it's share in the hand held gamin market. People always have their phone on their person, but maybe not always their gaming device. It's possible that Sony can gain back market share for the phone capability as it means that people wont have to carry multiple devices. That's easier said than done though.
SurgePox wrote:
Good games.
THAT. They didn't "get lucky." Yes, they did take a risk and entered a market to try and compete where a bigger company was already successful, and they themselves succeeded and made their name known in the gaming industry. That's capitalism, and they played it well. True they may be selling PS3s at a loss (or were, if they are still it's not as much as the tech is cheaper), but the features that the system holds makes the system worth owning. Blu-Ray player, and it has good games. If you make a product that people like, then you will be successful. Games are what ultimately measure the success of a console, which is why I don't think you should count out Sony right now due to how you feel as both systems aren't even out. Just try to look at this more objectively.

And it's a good thing that Sony entered when they did, but I think they matured the market, so to speak. They made the image of the home console games appeal to older audiences than just kids and adolescents, which is the demographic Nintendo catered more too. And besides, competition breeds innovation.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Sure, we can't beat Nintendo in gaming, so let's try to beat the biggest selling phone out there, that's gonna work!

What's with all that Apple vs. Nintendo. vs Sony bullshit going on? Apple is not that much into the gaming market, heck, they already tried with the Pin Pin and it's one of the biggest failures of the gaming industry.

Also, Sony took a huge gambit by making the PS3 a Blu-Ray player, because it is the main reason why the PS3 was so expensive when it launched. (FYI, Sony started selling PS3 with a profit since July 2009, after the Slim model was released.) It's started to work out after the Blu-Ray won the HD format war (ironically, it was in part because of the gambit they took with the PS3's Blu-Ray player).

Sony already is into the phone market too, with Sony Ericson, and while successful at first, they crashed hard in 2009 with more than 750 Millions in loss in that single year.

Combining a gaming platform (a real gaming platform, this is not the iphone or ipod Touch) and a cellphone is a big risk, me think.
Fighting on two industries at the same time can be a good thing if the portable sales well, but a portable/cellphone hybrid will cost a hell lot to produce, so they better be sure of this shot and come up with something solid to fight both the 3DS and the iphone.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:18 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top