Dragon Age

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dragon Age

Post  Smashy B on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:47 pm

Discussion has sparked in other threads, so smashbro says let there be thread.

Post what kind of character(s) you had, what you play style was, or anything else like what origins character Perry should pick. Use this thread for anything Dragon Age II related also.

Myself, I went with a human mage, named him Soren (lol Fire Emblem). Had him go with the fire spells and walking bomb spirit powers. Since I also used Morrigan for most of the game, both their spells complimented each other nicely (her having ice, electricity, and mind blast/crushing prison, and some entropy). Made him an arcane warrior, threw on some armor, and he was tearing shit up. Seriously, magic substitutse for strength? OK! Went with blood mage for second specialty, which was good, but I didn't use it much. Spirit healer probably would have been better.

I kept Morrigan clad in her robes (at least the good ones I got later) even though I made her an arcane warrior too. Since I used her like an actual mage and not a tank (see also: Soren), the spirit healer specialty would have been better.

Warrior wise I used Alistar cause he is adorable and my favorite guy character wise. I switched of between Leiliana and Zevran, but later stuck to Zevran cause I like dual weilding over bow and arrow.

The Awakening expansion was fun for what it was. Best part was probably finding a random cat and giving it to Anders, who then named it Ser Pounce-a-lot.

Edit: Origins was probably my personal goty of 09. Can't wait for DA2

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon Age

Post  DRTJR on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:04 pm

First I was a human rouge name frelick (Lol Mazes and monsters)
I used Alisteir, Morgana, and Leiliana.

I was a pretty tanky rouge and Leiliana was a fantastic archer. Aliteir was also a pretty good tank.

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:08 pm

I am a human mage

I find it a shit ton more easy then fighter. Walking bomb and freeze cone are a awesome combo.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:23 pm

The freeze attacks themselves are like lol hax. Crushing Prison is another awesome one, especially if it lands on a high ranking enemy. Hell, whenever an enemy hurlock would hit me with it, I'd get pissed cause that does so much added to the fact that my character can't move.

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:40 am

Got up until Alistair(my type of guy) with my Dwarven Warrior. 'm gonna be favouring the warrior type, because thats just the way I am, and Dwarven seemed like a good choice for that. Though I already ran into some bumps of choices which would hinder the character I wanted to develop, so I tried it out with a Human warrior too. Just arrived at the camp XD.

I don't like being a Noble though, but I guess i don't have much choice for background with humans. The game also favours human warriors, I think, which is a bit of a bummer, since I want to play an underdog Razz
But I already know im gonna be warrior class with a mix of magic in there, so will probably end up a Templar, and I need to be human for that. Still figuring out which skills to pick, though I will go with the shield + sword combo.

I'd like to try elf too sometime, but I don't think they'd be good as a warrior :\

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:52 am

First run trough I was a human warrior. The noble background was pretty fun (and so far as I know the only one that gives you a reason to fucking want to kill Arl Howe). I had to get used to the game though, and was beating the first invading soldiers with my bare hands cause I didnt realise all my equipment was in a box.
The warrior playstyle suited me well, even though I almost had the exact same moveset as Alistar.....which was pretty funny during the proving mission in Orzammar, at the 2 man duel, both doing the exact same moves in sync Razz Also used Leliana as a support character and Morrigan as mostly primal spellcaster. Close to no trouble at all except one of the fucking bosses in the deeproads.....you know the one.

Then I did a second runtrough as dalish elf rogue, in attempt to get a satisfying ending for witchhunt. conclusion: it wasn't.

Playing rogue made me get Leliana out of the party in favor of Stan, cause having 2 tanks is so much easier. Good god, once he gets his own sword he's unstoppable. Return to Ostagar DLC also gave some way to OP weapons early on, making me a very happy dual wielding rogue (duncan's sword and duncan's dagger or Merric's blade with grandmaster runes). Archdemon was a bit more difficult this time cause even with that I wasn't a major damage dealer in my party. But by that point I had over 200 ice arrows, so I was just spamming those.

The banter dialogue is what surprised me the most of this game. Good lord it can be funny Razz

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:06 am

@ Perry) Elf is probably best suited for Rogue. Mage too, maybe.

Sword and shield skills were good ones that I liked having on Alistair. Later in the game though, if you can get the dual wielding skill up to where you can wield two full-sized weapons at once, you can dish out a lot damage.

@Avalanche) How was Sten? Cause ass soon as I got him I benched him. He was a douche, whereas Zevran (different class, I know) was such a charmer he practically wanted to sleep with me, wait...
And yeah return to Ostagar gives you crazy awesome weapons. Alistair clad in the King's armor, ftw. Warden's keep, I believe it's called, gives you some awesome Warden armor too.

And yeah, in retrospect, the Witch hunt DLC was disappointing since you only get to see Morrigan for the last 5 minutes.

I'm tempted to start another play through of the game. I had started playing a Dalish elf rogue a while back, but stopped to finish my mage.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:23 am

Master out Stan's 2 handed weapon, give him his own sword or the Nug Crusher, and Juggernaut or Legion of the Dead armor. He'll be a great tank Razz Zevran was funny yeah, but I benched him in favor of Leliana cause I got more accustomed to her playstyle.

Stan IS a bit of a asshole though and
Spoiler:
Will challenge you to a duel in Haven if he doesn't like you
. Making the banter conversations revealing a softer side all the funnier. Especially Morrigan can really get on his nerves with her curiousity to Quanari sexuality Razz

second playtrough I also found a way to break the exp system. you can get a standard of 880 exp for a little more then half a sovereign, making it significantly easier.

And about witchunt.....Yeah Morrigan was in the last 5 minutes.....of a 15 minute game. What I did secretly laugh about though
Spoiler:
were the dragon cultists. When I paused the game I saw one of those reaver guys who Im sure was protecting the sacred urn of ashes as well. I could totally imagine them moving away from that mountain thinking: 'aaah peace, quiet and dragons at la.....Is that Warden fucking our shit up AGAIN?".........well it made me lol

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 am

I found a way to break the level up system early on in my first play through (later found out it was already posted on GameFaqs), and I abused it. My friend even more so to the point where he had like 200 strength among others.

If you want to know how to do it, see the spoiler. After I did it enough times, I changed the difficulty to Nightmare cause otherwise it was way too easy. It was also fixed in either the 1.01 or 1.02 patch.

Spoiler:
You pretty much have to sacrifice one stat to put the other ones on steroids. For a mage, that's strength. Warriors and rogues, magic.

When you level up, add all three stat points to strength (if your guy is a mage).
the hit the "reset" button and you can then still remove 3 points from strength giving you a total of 6 points to spend.
You can do that for as long as you want to click.
A quicker way would be to add 3, reset, add the 3 again, reset, repeat process for however long, then remove points, and redistribute as you see fit.
You're basically giving a negative value to your sacrificial stat, but the game still treats it as if it were 0.

Positive side is I didn't have to worry about any limitations for skills, especially with rogues and skills that require high dexterity as well as cunning. It also make the game easier, but you can also raise the difficulty easily (cause there are some parts that can just wreck your shit even on normal).
Down side: making the game easier can make it less fun. For my friend though, he had fun tearing everything up.
My character.
Friend's character

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:38 am

I freaking love Sten,he is one of my favourite companions.It takes some time,to figure out the answers that satisfy him,but after that,he is a cool guy to hang around with.Also, I had my biggest WTF moment thanks to him.When he respects you,he starts calling you "kadan".The name of my City Elf is Cadarn.When he first called me that,I was like "holy shit,the game knows how my character is called and knows how to pronounce it.This game is awesome!" Razz

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:17 am

haha nice going....Cadarn, Kadahn....potato.

My way to break the game costed a little ingame money, so it actually had a limit.....then again, I still had 150 sovereign by the end of it, so I could have done it for another 140 times or so.

Spoiler:

-after nature of the beast-
Go to the dalish camp
Buy 99 elfroot
Go to party camp
Donate all elfroot to the allies box or whatever its called
Receive 880 exp
repeat.

Im at a bit of a loss what to do now though. I dont think I have any games as good as DA in my library.....what to play now.....

You can donate a max of 89 elfroot a time for some reason, but there's no limit on how often you can do it.
[/spoiler]

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:49 am

You could go for Mass Effect.I love both games to death,can't wait for part 3.

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:57 pm

holy fuck dragon age 2 looks epic! the original concept art of DA1 showed horned quanari's and in the trailer, Hawke is fighting em. Transferring 'your world' from Origins also sounds like a sweet deal.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:32 pm

King Avalanche wrote:Stan IS a bit of a asshole though and
Spoiler:
Will challenge you to a duel in Haven if he doesn't like you
. Making the banter conversations revealing a softer side all the funnier. Especially Morrigan can really get on his nerves with her curiousity to Quanari sexuality Razz

And the conversation where he accepts Morrigan's "offer" is hilarious, but will also start to come up every fifteen minutes, and drive you insane Razz

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:38 pm

If (and probably when) I make another character, I think I want to use the golem, Shale, more than I did before. Shale was just awful in a funny way when I did use her. The fact that she called you "it" and stomps of some chicken shortly after you recruit her. Apparently shale is a tank too.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:48 pm

Shale is multi-purpose,she has some nice long range attacks too.In support mode,she can't move,but you get healed if you are near her.Yes,you can turn her into a dispenser,you read that right.Unfortunaetly for me,in my game she was buggy.At some point,I couldn't talk to her anymore without getting a semi-crash

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:18 am

http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1130484p1.html

New article on DA2. Combat system will be faster (which was previously hinted at), the Rouge class looks like it's getting some tweaks to diversify it more front he warrior, improved graphics, and lady Hawk is a fawx. Also, NEW TRAILER.

bounce

Last edited by smashbro on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:15 am

I am shying away from this thread now, because

SPOILERS

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:20 pm

Free ingame item,if you sign up for the newsletter!

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/pennyarcade/

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Awesome. Thanks, dude!

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:54 am

Alright, just managed to end Dragon Age as a lvl 20 human noble rogue, marrying Queen Anora with Leliana as my mistress (or whatever the correct english therm is).

Curious to see how this will translate to DA2.

Also, characters from DA have been more or less revealed.....I am assuming they are playable.

Spoiler:

Hawke: The protagonist.
Bethany: Hawke's sister and a mage.[11]
Varric: A dwarf who acts as a narrator.[11]
Cassandra: A Chantry Seeker that is interested in Hawke.[11]
Flemeth: The notorious Witch of the Wilds.[12]
Carver: Hawke's brother and a warrior. [13]
Wesley: An injured templar that Hawke encounters while fleeing Lothering. [13]
Aveline: Wesley's wife and a warrior. [13]
Isabela: The captain of the pirate ship The Siren's Call, a rogue, and a possible romance option for Hawke. (good memories from DA1 Razz)

Also, read something fun about Dragon Age/Witch Hunt. This is a theory but it may involve spoilers so once again.

Spoiler:

Morrigan gets a child with the powers of a old god, and has Flemmeth's grimmoire describing how to inhabbit someone else's body. Still think her deal is as sweet? This was also the very reason Flemmeth allowed Morrigan to go with the warden, to have this child. Wether Morrigan or Flemmeth plans to take the child, expect it to bite you in the ass the later half of DA2.

Which means I have to play trough Dragon Age 2, a mimimum of 4 times.......thanks Bioware. You evil bastards Razz

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:16 am

soo during dragon age awakening, I got 2 mages with a lot of skillpoints.....so I taught both of them haste.......Using both at them at the same time, results in moving as if someone put a freakin missle under your ass. Its pretty hilarious Razz

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Finally took the time to actually defeat the archdemon last night. The fight was boring and all the grunts were ffin annoying. I hate it when bosses flee from fights and send in the lesser people. so I storm-of-the-century-ed his ass when he was resting out of reach. well "resting"

The epilogue and meeting up with my former party members made me feel awesome though, and as accomplished as a game ever made me feel. Though I kept telling everyone I'd go after morrigan... so I did.
Installed Witch Hunt, and now im in some other dimension or whatever with a smoking hot witch.
DA-Life is good. I hope this plays through to DAII somehow.

Also LOVED the references to Anders in Witch Hunt, if you've already installed Awakening.
Finn mentions him in his dialogues with the elfen chick, and you see a doodle of his picturing ser-pounce-a-lot eating a templar in a book.

Up for Leliana's song next, I think. Then I'll have to do a shitload of reruns to get some more cool "endings". Need one with romancing Leliana at least, and maybe another one where I end up king (Av made me curious)

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:30 pm

Perrytheplatypus wrote:
The epilogue and meeting up with my former party members made me feel awesome though, and as accomplished as a game ever made me feel. Though I kept telling everyone I'd go after morrigan... so I did.
Installed Witch Hunt, and now im in some other dimension or whatever with a smoking hot witch.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:57 pm

SHE HAS COME FOR ME D:
*Fangasms*

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down