Those less heard of games

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Those less heard of games

Post  Relmitos on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:30 pm

I'm dedicating this thread to those less heard of games. That's right, all those old washed up video games that are made by 3rd party companies that are actually excellent games to play but were overshadowed by the big name releases or a poor sales pitch. Releases like that new Final Fantasy game that's coming out, or that new Mario/Zelda game, you know the one.

Anyways, what this topic is for, is to suggest the names of these less popular, but nonetheless awesome video games so that maybe, just maybe they'll be loved by a few more people and get a little bit more of the respect they deserve.

I'm going to enter an old Sega Genesis title; Gunstar Heroes. It's a very basic, and very simple 2D side scrolling action shooter, like Contra. It really pushed the strength of the Genesis system itself though and it's got plenty of nice visuals for being a Genesis title. Ever had one of those games when you were very young that was SO hard that when you finally beat it you felt VERY accomplished, even when you go back and do it today and it's just so easy? For me, GH had one of those bosses. Seven Force, on the easy and normal difficulties, is not that hard as you have to deal less damage overall to each form and he'll only use three of his seven forms, but when you go to hard and expert, you have to face all seven of his form, and they hit harder, faster, and take more damage. I was so pleased with myself after managing it, I was very giddy. Should you actually go looking for this game, don't be fooled by it's GBA port, Gunstar Superheroes. They're very similar games of course, and Superheroes has more story to it, but Heroes had the better game play and you can play with a friend. Not so much with Superheroes. If you do insist on getting Superheroes first though, make sure whenever you enter the dice palace, you fight the boss Smash Daisaku. He's a tough boss in both games, but in Superheroes, they made him optional, and it boggles my mind why.

I'll post more later if this kicks off

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Those less heard of games

Post  TD260 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:38 pm

the boktai series never got much love here in america- mainly because they were a bit of a gimmick, incorperating a UV sensor on the front to encourage playing outside, since sunlight was crucial to the plot. Beyond that, they games were very fun. the first game gives you a gun, with a battery that refills in sunlight. Not going to go indepth, (yet) but the playstyle involved a lot of metal gear solid -esque sneaking, distracting the undead foes by leaning against a wall and knocking to draw them away, or hitting them in the back for more damage.
The second took away some of the gimmick, by including an easy way out, with the first dungeon you can encounter is both optional, and it contains an item that has a 50% chance of giving you free sunlight. (you can save before using it). Removing some of the stealth elements, it gives you a melee weapon, but includes much of the same style.

the DS spiritual successor, Lunar Knights, took out both the sun gimmick, and much of the stealth element, and gave you 2 unique characters, both with different weapons. One with the energy consuming gun, and the other with the Melee weapons. It came with it's own weather system built into the game, creating an environment that can change based on the game's climate.

both very good games, and both very unknown.

EDIT: forgot to mention, both made by konami, and boktai is for GBA.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:33 am

the only game that comes to mind is Okami, where you play as a japanese wolf god/incarnation of the sun and need to rid the world of demons and other stuff by drawing bombs, cuts, vines, fucking lightning, etc.

But you've heard me ramble bout that before.

What? you still havent played it? Son, your mother and I are very disappoint.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:55 am

A friend of mine in ohio really likes that game. I want to get it, I just need to find a copy.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Now that you mention it, I think Orland has that game somewhere, I'll have to check it out. Okami, that is. Boktai sounds interesting enough though, I'll probably look into it as well. That's the point of this topic anyways, innit? heh.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:56 pm

I thought Okami was more of a known game. What Av said, play it. It made my personal top 10 favorite games list for it's unique art style and game play, with an engaging adventure.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:32 pm

though the fucking rock guardian will haunt my nightmares forever.....Sad

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:09 am

One that's sort of known but still fairly obscure and certainly didn't sell as well as it deserved to I'm fond of is Psychonauts, absolutely amazing game that one. I got it on sale for $2 on steam a while back and I almost feel bad for paying so little for it. It's an adventurey platformer type game (reminds me a lot of Banjo Kazooie actually) which is a genre I quite like which you don't exactly see huge amounts of these days. It's basically about some kid at a psychic summer camp and going into lots of crazy people's minds. It's got great characters, dialogue, atmosphere and humour and absolutely awesome level design, once you get past the first few every level is extremely memorable and unique and most of them are among make my favourite video game levels of all time (I actually took inspiration for a few later Grand Brawl round settings from them).

I recently learned the creator is ready to make a sequel if he can find a willing publisher, this is probably the most exciting piece of gaming news I've heard this year.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ¿Señior Poopy Water? on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:42 am

Weldar wrote:One that's sort of known but still fairly obscure and certainly didn't sell as well as it deserved to I'm fond of is Psychonauts, absolutely amazing game that one. I got it on sale for $2 on steam a while back and I almost feel bad for paying so little for it. It's an adventurey platformer type game (reminds me a lot of Banjo Kazooie actually) which is a genre I quite like which you don't exactly see huge amounts of these days. It's basically about some kid at a psychic summer camp and going into lots of crazy people's minds. It's got great characters, dialogue, atmosphere and humour and absolutely awesome level design, once you get past the first few every level is extremely memorable and unique and most of them are among make my favourite video game levels of all time (I actually took inspiration for a few later Grand Brawl round settings from them).

I recently learned the creator is ready to make a sequel if he can find a willing publisher, this is probably the most exciting piece of gaming news I've heard this year.

I got it when it was 2 bucks too, truly a masterpiece

¿Señior Poopy Water?
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:27 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top