The Travel Thread

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Travel Thread

Post  Raya on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm back from my voyage to the New World! It was a bit of a reverse shit sandwich in that Friday and Monday were rubbish but Saturday and Sunday were brilliant. As a whole though I did really enjoy visiting America and I'd love to go back again at some point.

On the Friday we went round Times Square (which turned out to be hell on earth), saw the Rockefeller tree and the skating rink at Central Park. Saturday we walked on the sea front, walked across the Brooklyn Bridge then went through Chinatown and Broadway. Sunday was the meetup and the highlight of the trip, then on Monday I did a sprinted tour to see various movie locations, the natural history museum and Central Park before catching the flight back. All in all I had a great time and glad I went. Some of the things liked and disliked:

+ Aside from a few exceptions (I'm looking at you, fat black woman in Times Square) New Yorkers are incredibly friendly and helpful. I had loads of lovely conversations with complete strangers.
+ American lemonade is absolutely godly. I think I put on several pounds just from the amount I drank. It's gorgeous and I couldn't get enough of it.
+ Waiters asking me how I wanted my burger cooked! I'm not used to having such choices. Truly this is the land of the free.
+ Making the day of a group of teenagers who lost it on hearing my accent. They had me say random things, which I later learnt from TD were things from Doctor Who Razz
+ NYC itself has magnificent buildings and architecture, I spent so much time gazing in awe at the buildings like a peasant who's never been to a city before.
+ Yellow Rat Bastard is an amazing clothing store.
+ NINTENDO WORLD! It's a good thing Q didn't film me as he suggested, as I turned into a little kid who had every Christmas come at once. I could have happily lived out the rest of my life in there.
+ I actually liked 3 Musketeers chocolate bars.

- Not adding sales tax onto the price stickers of goods. The number of times I went to the till with the exact money, only to be charged extra. It's dishonest and irritating.
- American money is confusing. Aside from all the notes looking the same I couldn't figure out the coins. What the hell is a dime, is that a 5, 10 or 20? I had so many shop assistants take pity on me and take the coins out of my hands it was embarrassing. Fed, I'm sorry I giggled at you when you were confused by British coins D:
- Apparently baked beans do not exist in the US, or at least in NYC.
- American toilets are the worst, especially those anti-terrorist ones in public places. I never worked out how to lock the ones that have a long handle with a key lock on them.
- The subway is terrible. I will never again complain about the London Underground.
- The natural history museum was rubbish. The exhibits themselves were great, but it was overcrowded, had no crowd control, was badly laid out and the staff were the most unhelpful lot I've ever met. I ended up just walking out and leaving.
- I never did figure out what an English muffin was.

So yeah, had a great time and I hope to go back again someday :3

Last edited by Raya on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Raya wrote:- Not adding sales tax onto the price stickers of goods. The number of times I went to the till with the exact money, only to be charged extra. It's dishonest and irritating.
- American money is confusing. Aside from all the notes looking the same I couldn't figure out the coins. What the hell is a dime, is that a 5, 10 or 20? I had so many shop assistants take pity on me and take the coins out of my hands it was embarrassing. Fed, I'm sorry I giggled at you when you were confused by British coins D:
- Apparently baked beans do not exist in the US, or at least in NYC.
As an American, I agree that it's very annoying that sales tax isn't already calculated in the price. That's how they get you into thinking you're not gonna pay as much as you will. There's (usually) always that little scumbag "+tax" note by the price...
Dimes are 10 cents. Razz I don't think I've ever got confused with foreign money when I traveled, including British coins (though those I only used in the airport), but maybe American money conditioned me that way. The numbers on the notes are in the corners though!
We got baked beans in California! Very Happy

Glad you had a lot of fun!

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:48 am

Raya wrote:
+ NYC itself has magnificent buildings and architecture, I spent so much time gazing in awe at the buildings like a peasant who's never been to a city before.

If you want awesome architecture come to Chicago. Razz

Glad you had fun though!

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Smashy B wrote:
As an American, I agree that it's very annoying that sales tax isn't already calculated in the price. That's how they get you into thinking you're not gonna pay as much as you will. There's (usually) always that little scumbag "+tax" note by the price...
Dimes are 10 cents. :PI don't think I've ever got confused with foreign money when I traveled, including British coins (though those I only used in the airport), but maybe American money conditioned me that way. The numbers on the notes are in the corners though!
We got baked beans in California! Very Happy

Glad you had a lot of fun!

The problem with the notes is that when they were in my purse I couldn't tell them apart, I had to rummage through them to find the denomination I needed. Sterling and Euros are colour-coordinated so you can tell them apart at a glance, so suddenly having a stack of notes that are all the same off-pus colour really threw me. I ended up putting the different denominations into different parts of my wallet to save me looking like an idiot at the till >_>

The lack of baked beans in NYC was just so bizarre. I didn't notice until the end of the holiday when it occurred to me I wouldn't mind beans on toast for breakfast.

Three more things I forgot to mention:

+ DRTJR's name. MIND= BLOWN
+ Finally getting to see some native US wildlife on the Monday! It was some ducks I didn't recognise and a pair of what I presume were cardinals. I wanted to see some native wildlife all trip, so I'm glad I spotted some eventually.
- Walking down the street and getting all excited at suddenly hearing birdsong I didn't recognise. Thinking it was some sort of rare local bird I looked around frantically...only to discover that it was in fact a European starling. Apparently they sing with an American accent in the US. Dammit.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:11 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top