Dark Before The Dawn- RP thread

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dark Before The Dawn- RP thread

Post  Requiem on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:18 am

My own ship huh? I don't rightly remember winning this, but... I did win quite a bit Requiem mused, relaxing in the Captain's Cabin. He had spent most of the trip hidden there. He didn't really feel much like dealing with the others and their drama. He didn't rightly care about who slept with who. As long as they didn't try to kill eachother, whatever happened didn't make any difference. He'd much rather relax and enjoy the boat ride.

It had been a couple of years since he'd been on a boat, and he kind of missed it. He felt comfortable out on the water. The waves pushing up against the boat as it crashed through them, the breeze, the sound of the water, it was all relaxing to him. It was peaceful.

Deciding he wanted some fresh air, Requiem opened the door to his Cabin and stepped outside, taking a deep breath. It had been a long time since they'd been able to properly relax since they started this journey, aside from the night before anyway, and even that brought it's own share of drama.

Of course, even this ride wasn't exactly without it's concerns. They were headed into Mousillon. For The Isle of Bones. Requiem wasn't entirely sure how to feel about this return to Mousillon. He'd only been there for his summoning and a short time after that. Still, what he could remember of it had made him feel comfortable. He was actually somewhat excited about returning to his summoning place.

He reached into his jacket pulling out his cards, shuffling them idly as he leaned against the wall next to his cabin. It had only been a few days since they'd started this journey, a week, maybe two? He couldn't remember. He honestly couldn't really remember much before being summoned anymore.

Of course he could remember the important details, his family, his life, his best friend, that sort of thing, but the details, conversations, everything was going all blurry, and his fragmented memories were getting pushed further into the back. This world was his new reality now, and the rest, well, as much as he didn't want to believe it, he had no reason to truly believe that he'd ever return to it. This was his new life, whether he wanted it or not.

He shook his head, clearing the thoughts from his mind. There was no reason for him to be depressing himself like that. Requiem took another deep breath, looking up to the sky. The clouds were starting to fill in the sky, turning it dark. It didn't look particularly threatening. There was no lightning flashing, and he didn't hear any thunder. The crew didn't seem all that bothered by it either, although he heard one say that he wasn't really looking forward to having to work in the rain.

Stepping from his position, he made his way over to the bow of the ship to watch the water. He hadn't expected to find Quaetam standing there. Requiem approached the rail beside him, greeting him with a simple "Hey". Q looked tired, stressed out and slightly worried. He knew the look well enough. "You alright there bro?"

"For now, yeah..." Quaetam said, keeping his gaze forward, "But I'm concerned for what lies ahead."

"We'll be fine, hopefully. The Isle of Bones..." Requiem said turning to face the water. "I spent a little time in Mousillon, but I don't know much about the place, any ideas as to what we can expect?"

"Mousillon is a dark place..." Quaetam paused before continuing, "It's a cursed land, an old land, once a place of magic and glory, now eclipsed by the power of its former masters. As I told you before, the land is plagued with all manner of horrors, of dark, monstrous being. Its soil is laced with countless magicks, spells from centuries past. The cities stand proud, but nothing more than a shadow of their former glory. And the wilderness... The wilds are not a place to wander. But the people who live there are strong, with a good sense of honor, if a certain habit or two most might not find amiable... They live hard lives, but good lives, honest lives, and are proud of their heritage..."

"This Isle of Bones... it is feared even in Mousillon. Where Mousillon is a cursed land, the Isle is something deeper, something darker. The dragons breathed their final gasps here, but their spirits never left. The air is laced with enough protective enchantments to outplay even the most brilliant of mages. And the fog... They say it eats at your spirit, at your soul,"
Quaetam looked at Requiem, "There's a reason the von Carsteins felt the Army could not reach them here." Quaetam stopped to let the information sink in.

Processing the details he was given Requiem shook his head. Things once again, weren't adding up. "Hang on a moment, didn't you say that that was all superstition?" He asked. Requiem figured it was likely that Q was trying to assuage the fears of the others, but it didn't seem right that he lie to them either. The group needed to know what was coming after all.

"It's hard to tell where the superstition ends and the reality begins," said the Hierophant, "While the Isle's necromantic qualities are self-evident, some go beyond this, to say that it eats at your very soul, that some dark power, some unnatural energy laced into the Isle, steals away your very essence. Some say the magic at work here has weakened the fabric of the universe, allowing unknown horrors from beyond to seep through...."

Quaetam smiled, "It's questionable how much of this is grounded in reality, yes. And as with most legends, chances are its power has been greatly exaggerated. But I know, and you know, that in a world like this, one can never discount legend. Dragnia is all the cliches rolled into one. The chances that this haunted isle is harmless are quite slim. Whatever we find there, you can certainly expect it won't be friendly."

Requiem nodded some. He wasn't quite satisfied with the answer, but there wasn't much point in pressing the issue. "So what exactly should we expect to come acrossed?"

"It's impossible to be sure... But I know of the nature of Mousillon; the magic of the cursed province is very real." Quaetam said, "The legend that the dead walk in Mousillon is rooted in fact. If this Isle is a nexus for necromntic power, as is reputed, as is highly probable, and the Von Carsteins, themselves experts in the dark arts, have taken up hold here, this is not going to be a quiet graveyard. And if they've failed, if something went wrong.... I find it all the more likely."

"As for the fog, and the rumors that the isle itself devours the souls of its travelers... It's hype, it's fear. I doubt such power exists here, at least not to the dreaded extent people say. But this myth has to be grounded in reality. Stay away from the fog. Stay in the clear. We can't afford to be separated, not until we know what we're up against.

"And yet neither of these things are most dangerous. Fire can burn away the fog. Holy magic like Sah's can cleanse the dead; we can fight off any corpses or other undead with our own skills. "

"No, the most dangerous thing we'll find is spells, enchantments, traps. This island is laced with magic, with spells cast centuries ago. Many enchantments can fade with time, but those woven by the strongest of mages, those placed upon the land by legends incarnate... those remain, and it is those we will find in multitude. Those are the things we'll have to watch out for, if we all want to make it out of this mess."

"I was afraid of that... What do you figure we should do about those enchantments exactly?" He asked once again, trying to plan ahead a bit.

"Well, as I said before, magic, when used correctly, is a deadly force, very hard to counter. To slip into one of my more prominent analogies here, fighting against a mage is like playing a chess match; one has to be able to counter their blows both quickly and accurately, as spells can be devastating if they slip through the cracks of an improper defense. Foresight is key, understanding of your own position and arsenal just as critical, if one is to fight against an expert mage."

He turned, faced Requiem once more, and raised his right hand. Requiem noted, with sudden inquiry, a golden band of arcane design, wrapped around his wrist, pulsing with a silver power. An aura began to shimmer around it, and from the moisture in the air, water began to coalesce, swirling into a virulent sphere.

"Against some spells, there's no need to counter; just as with a blow from a sword, just as with a strike from a staff, it's often adequate just to... tank the blow, for lack of a better term."

Without warning, Quaetam flicked his wrist, and the sphere of water lashed at Requiem, dousing the Champion's robes. Requiem made to protest, but Quaetam quickly raised his hand again, and the water was drawn out of the fabric, rendering it dry once more. Again the sphere gathered around Quaetam's right hand.

"Take what you just experienced. That was a quick splash. A minor annoyance, but nothing more," Quaetam said, "But it's often not worth the risk; that sphere of liquid could be acid, designed to sear away at your skin, render you helpless. It could be enchanted, controlled by its caster to swim down your throat, into your lungs, to drown you in the middle of a sunlit plain. No, magic at its fullest is unpredictable, limited only by the imagination of the caster. The seemingly harmless ray of light cast your way could be anything from a harmless environmental effect to a deadly curse."

Quaetam walked ten paces away, turning to face Requiem, right arm still holding the sphere of water.

"To be able to discern the harmless from the malignant, the decoys from the killing blows takes both an understanding of magic, and an understanding of your opponent; you have to be able to think like them, you have to be able to know what to expect, and when to expect it. It’s as much like poker as like chess; you have to read your opponent, and know not only what you’ve got at your disposal to stop them between knowledge, mana, and magical force, but also whether you need to act at all. This is something that comes easier with time, and training. The greater your understanding of your arcane school and its limits, its scope, and the greater your magical abilities, the better you’ll be able to understand and react to what’s thrown at you. I happen to have an edge in this art, with my particular skillset, and my experience after these past few months. For others, however, for the inexperienced, and those not yet accustomed to arcane combat, it is best to remain vigilant, and guard against all spells thrown your way. Only then can you be sure of your own safety. Otherwise, however great a gambler you may be, you’ll be playing a game you can’t win.”

As he listened to Q talk, Requiem had a thought and waited for his chance to cut in without being rude. "What about those of us who simply have no talent for magick? How are we supposed to protect ourselves against something outside of our capabilities?"

“Well,” said Quaetam, “there are three main ideas behind countering a spell. The first is very straightforward; a direct block or dodge. Throwing something in the way of the attack, or removing yourself from the area of effect."

Quaetam made a flourishing motion with his right hand, and the sphere of water floated five meters to the left. He clenched his fist, pulled his arm to his body, and the water hardened, coalescing into razor-sharp shards of ice, flying towards him. Without missing a beat he flicked his hand once more, and a wall of ice materialized in the path of the flurry; the shards ticked against it and fell harmlessly to the floor.

"Blocking spells is one of the most controlled, simple, methods of countering them, and you don't always need magic to do it. I could easily have used a towershield to turn that flurry aside, or simply ducked to avoid it. However, this isn't always feasible, depending on the spell. Some may be drawn to you, others may be impossible to escape. Still more may be less tangible, impossible to physically stop. Furthermore, depending on your fighting style, a block can consume both your energy and your attention."

Quaetam again raised both hands, and the fallen ice crystals melted, reforming into water, one sphere in his right hand, the other floating several meters to the left.

"A basic block is most inefficient for mages, who require mana for even the most basic of spells: Creating a shield out of nothing is far more taxing than simply raising one you've already gone to battle with. Thus, for magicians, there's another option."

The Hierophant beckoned with his left hand, and the sphere of water flew towards him. At the same time, he lashed out with his right. The other gathering of liquid blasted counter to the first, and the two collided, exploding outward and drenching both Quaetam and Requiem. Again he flourished his hand, cleansing them both and bringing the water back to his side. As he did so, Requiem couldn't help but notice the golden brace flash a bright silver.

"It's basic science; equal and opposite forces will produce equilibrium. And while we're talking magic here, that principle still applies. Balancing one spell with another, one of equal force, applied in an opposite direction, can stop it. This often requires less attention than a block, unless the spell thrown at you is of daunting complexity, and thus allows you to maintain your guard after a quick counterattack."

"However, there are issues with this approach: First, it's hard to gauge the exact strength of what's thrown at you... If you underestimate your opponent's strength, their strike might surpass yours, and break through your defenses anyways. Also, you'll notice we both got wet. Again, you have to follow basic science here: The energy of the two colliding objects has to go somewhere. In the case of two orbs of water, this means little. However, for more devastating attacks, the effects can be incredibly dangerous."

Requiem thought back to the garden, back to the fireball he had slung at the Hierophant as the two clashed... "Remember the fireball I threw at you when we fought in the garden? That didn't happen. You waved your hand and my spell disappeared, there wasn't any huge explosion."

Quaetam stopped for a moment, thinking, and brought the two spheres of water together to form a larger, more cohesive ball, floating off to the right. The water swirled in place, uniform in its flow, and Quaetam, concentrating, raised his free hand. Around it glowed a silver aura, as the wristbrace again began to shine. A silver light flashed between the Hierophant and the swirling water, and in an instant it was gone, just as Requiem's fireball had been, leaving no trace.

"What I did here, just as I did back in the garden, was something different, called a counterspell. I mentioned it a few days ago over dinner. It's something in line with my power, something deeper I've only been able to touch upon myself. For whatever reason, I'm able to sense the use or presence of magic; I can detect when a mage is channeling power. Where most magicians feel their power as direct actions, as casting a spell, I can feel the underlying mystic floes behind it. The counterspell involves weaving a direct counter to the attack thrown my way. It takes great concentration, and, against more complicated attacks, great energy, but if done correctly allows me to erase the other mage's spell without consequence, and, if done early enough, can throw off my opponents' concentration and give me an upper hand," Quaetam explained, [color=white]"It's a hard technique to use, but I've been getting better at it."

Quaetam then turned to Requiem,

"This reminds me, by the way," Quaetam said, "I've seen you use magic before... but why not since? It's an excellent tool to have, and one that's going to be essential where we're going."

"The use of magick, at least the non-natural magick, seems to... Drain from me, different from how I've seen it affect the others. With them it seems to just wear them out, make them tired. With me, it saps my strength." Requiem paused for a moment, trying to think of the best way to explain. "Here, let me just show you" He said, engaging TheTJ's Stone, drawing on the strength of his fallen comrade, his gauntlets changing shape to fit the form. Overlooking the water, Requiem released a medium sized fireball. As the blast left his hand though, the change was immediately recogniseable. Requiem's face paled and his balance wavered for a moment. "I can also create illusions of myself, but it still drains from me like that. I've been trying to figure out how to get around it, but so far, I've had no luck" He didn't really feel like explaining how he acquired said powers, or what he meant by non-natural magick, but he figured it would eventually come up in the conversation, so he might as well have gotten it out then.

"From what I can figure out, the reason they drain from me is because they aren't my powers. The fireball was TheTJ's. You didn't get to meet him. He was killed when we were attacked in the inn. That was the first time I took someone else's powers. The other was Weldar, as I'm sure you remember, he was our illusionist." He paused letting the recognition of what he'd done so coldly sink in to himself. He hadn't really thought about it much up until that point. "These are their powers, not mine. Or well, they're mine now, but..." He shook his head in frustration before taking a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. "The point is, I can't use their powers. Not without sacrificing a bit of my own health to do it."

Quaetam frowned...

"The implications of this ability are... significant," the Hierophant pondered, "Your power, to me, felt unusual; as you suspected, it didn't seem to draw from the usual floes of magic, or even your own internal magic pool, but rather from something else... from somewhere else, or even someone else..."

Requiem nodded slightly "That seems to be the case, this power, from what I can tell, seems to be channeling my life force through their essences..." He turned to look at his silent friend "What've you got on your mind man?"

"You say you're channeling your life force... I'm wondering if that's even the case," Quaetam said, "Tell me, when you acquired these powers, what exactly occured? How did it appear to you, how did it feel to you?"

Requiem looked over the water, closing his eyes, trying to visualise the details. "Their essence appears... Like a light, over their bodies. I didn't realise it until TJ died. I somehow missed it with Spont. I guess because of his being mechanised, he didn't really leave one behind, I'm not entirely sure. When TheTJ died though, these creatures kind of showed up, pulling the souls of the dead along with them. They were like dogs, wolves almost, of mist. They left it behind, glowing there. None of the other bodies in the room had the essence though." He opened his eyes "When I touched it, it disappeared into my gauntlet as one of these stones" He said gesturing to them. "It didn't 'feel' much like anything, kind of warm and cold at the same time, and somewhat numb. I'm not really sure how else to explain it"

"My concern," said Quaetam, "Is that you might not be directly fueling your magic with simply mana, and not with your physical health, as that couldn't be used to power an arcane ability, but your actual soul.... Or that you might be using theirs..."

Requiem's brow furrowed slightly, in thought and surprise.

"This is, as you can imagine, is not a healthy thing, moral and spiritual concerns aside," said Quaetam, "A soul grants an unimaginable wealth of power; tapping into a soul's energy is the magical equivalent of splitting an atom. The force released is almost unparalleled... to the extent that wielding it is simply impossible for a human. The only beings I've seen capable of such a feat are spirits, wraiths, and demons; each derive their powers not from a pool of mana, but from the life-force of those around them. They convert their victims' essence into raw mana; through spirits, by willing connection, through wraiths, by possession, trickery, and control, through demons, by force and domination. I've never seen such power nested in a mortal before. That which you wield here seems to be most similar to the abilities of a wraith... I can't form a spiritual connection with you of my own accord, as I would with a spirit, and were you able to seize control of others' life-force like a demon, you'd know by now. What you've done here is something akin to a weak form of possession; you find a raw source of power and absorb it, channeling not some ability of your own, but rather the innate power of that life-force. You seem to have, in a weakened form, the power to possess."

Quaetam paused for a moment, pondered, and then continued, looking across the water again. "This gives you access to incredible power... You're able to take on the innate ability of whatever raw essence you come across, and access those at will. However, it's also exceedingly dangerous, both to yourself, and to those who fight beside you. This possession, it's something that doens't seem able to affect those beside you, probably because you're not a spirit... you have corporeal form. It's completely illogical, but I guess I can't say I find myself incredibly surprised... Other champions have exhibited anomalies of their own, violations of some of magic's laws. You appear to be a mortal with the powers of a wraith, yet your tangible form has limited those powers to absorbing the already-exposed essence of the deceased, rather than taking control of that which already has a viable host to control it. So I don't fear for the essence of our comrades..."

He stood up straight, turned towards Requiem, "However, as I said before, it's the magical equivalent of splitting an atom. The power that a soul releases is tremendous. Tap into too much, and you'll be shredded; the outburst of power would doubtlessly incinerate you, and likely prove dangerous, or even lethal, to those around you. And regardless of the power you have access to, your own abilities to wield and control that power are exceedingly limited; you're only a beginning mage. Without mana of your own, with a near limitless supply of power as contained in the captive souls, it would be far, far too easy to grasp at too much, to overstep your ability to control it, and have it all come flooding out..."

"And as to your own weakening," Quaetam continued, "I see two possibilities. First, I think it's possible that you may have indeed corroded your own essence as well. The weakening you feel at each spell cast, that could be a sign of spiritual depletion... The second possibility I see is that you have, however small, a mana supply of your own, one that is being drawn upon with each and every cast. Given the exhaustion a simple fireball gives you, it would have to be incredibly miniscule, but.... it could be there. This would also explain how your magic still feels a bit familiar to a normal mage's, not outright akin to a spirit or wraith; you could have a hybrid ability, something in-between."

Requiem listened intently as he had things explained to him. When he brought up the mana pool, Requiem spoke up "There are a few things I can do on my own... Damian showed me for instance how to draw on a persons fear, make them see and feel what they fear most. He told me there was more that I could learn to do, but I kind of got irritated with him and told him to bugger off, said I didn't need him anymore, and well, he crossed over, fulfilled his contract"

"And this supports my theory," Quaetam said, "Fear is an emotion; emotions are, at least loosely, tied to life-force, as they're an inexorable part of consciousness. To be able to reach them, while not being capable of entering someone's mind, or any other form of possession, is understandable... When you draw on someone's fear, you're innately drawing on their life-force. It's not fast or quantifiable enough to have a tangible effect, and could only be noticed by others who are capable of detecting such things, such as those with my power, or perhaps spirits who share your affinity, but it's certainly there."

Quaetam paused. "Tell me," he said, "How would you like to explore this further?"

Requiem caught the Hierophant's eye, clearly focused, and thinking.

"As it stands, you're a time bomb. You're going to invariably be growing in strength, however slowly, and eventually, you're going to slip up; with your ability, it's nearly impossible to determine how much draw is too much. As you become more powerful, as the demands of our quest increase, and you begin to absorb greater abilities for your use, you'll come closer and closer to stretching yourself to the limit, and might surpass your ability to control the power you wield. Believe me, none of us want to be around if and when you finally misstep," Quaetam said, "And your power is unusual, but with my abilities, I should be able to determine the nature of your self-injury upon casting. If you're damaging your own life force, we can find a way to avoid doing so. And if what you're doing isn't weakening your life-force, but in fact drawing upon an infinitessimally small supply of mana, I can help you grow that pool into something usable, something that will eventually allow you to better gauge your own limits, and perhaps better control the power you've been drawing from your captive souls. It'll take work on your end, focus on mine, but if you're going to continue to use this power at all, it's absolutely essential."

"We're going to need all the power we can raise to take on the Army aren't we?" Requiem asked after a moment. "Whatever I need to do, think you have what it takes to teach me?"

"Absolutely," Quaetam nodded, "but let us not be too hasty. For now, ahead, waits the Isle of Bones. While we're there, I must caution you: The air is laced with enough mystic energy and enchantments to render a power such as yours less stable than usual, given the amount of energy you're attempting to draw from. Do not call upon your powers unless there is no other choice. When we proceed, stay vigilant, and we may all make it out of this in one piece."

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Spoiler:
This is a bit long; originally it was two seperate posts but Q suggested I combine them into one so we're not dicking around on the boat for ages and instead get to explore a spooky island. So the transition is a little bit awkward since I intended that to be the end of the post.

Also why do I appear to be the only person here that doesn't like boats, God damn Razz

The day passed uneventfully, and once a few miles away from shore not a single boat was to be seen. As the night drew in the temperature dropped, and one by one the members retired to their beds, leaving the crew to sail on.

Sometime in the early hours Raya lay tossing and turning in her cot, unable to fall asleep. Aside from the constant creaking and swaying of the ship reminding her there was several hundred feet of cold dark water lurking beneath them too many bothersome thoughts were swirling through her mind, keeping her awake. She reviewed the previous night again and again, repeatedly kicking herself for being such a total fucking idiot. Falling for Ansem’s charms had been bad enough, but dragging Avalanche into all this…oh it was easy enough to explain, she’d been drunk and miserable and just wanted some reassurance that she was actually wanted, but that was no excuse. She was supposed to be the leader keeping the group together, not driving them apart with high school drama. Come the morning she’d have to do some damage limitation. Or follow the great British philosophy of ‘having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over’.

Of course, being asleep was an entirely different matter. Whenever she did manage to drift off her dreams were plagued by horrific nightmares that jolted her awake. That vision she’d seen in Ashvald’s mansion constantly played itself out over and over. There was the stench of terror and rage, her friends crying out and the sensation of warm flesh and blood pouring from her jaws…she’d have loved to dismiss it, play it down as the last spiteful trick of a thwarted demon, but after what had happened to that man in the alley now she wasn’t so sure. And the implications of that terrified her.

After jerking awake for the fifth time she eventually gave up on sleep and swung her legs over the side of the bed. Wrapping her blanket around her like a cloak she stood up and left. Might as well take a walk and breathe in some fresh air to clear her head.

-----------------------------

The deck was deserted save a pair of sailors on the tiller, who paid her no heed. The air was crisp enough to make her glad of her blanket, the stars above picked out like sharp diamonds in the cold. The ship’s lanterns did little to push back the navy night, and in the darkness beyond she could hear the gentle lapping of the waves and the occasional splash of some mysterious animal. God damn she hated boats.

Another noise drifted to her, an odd sort of twanging noise. Puzzled she padded towards it and discovered Fedaykin sitting near the prow of the boat. Unneeding of sleep the lich had been amusing himself with other projects whilst his companions slept, in this instance fiddling around with that device he’d been working on the past few days. It looked like a bow, complete with string, attached to a gourd. He was holding a flat stone against the string and striking it experimentally, producing the twanging noises, before alternatively tightening or loosening it.

“Evening Fed,”

He looked up in surprise, then shuffled over so she could sit next to him “Evening Raya, can’t sleep?”

“No.”

“How come?”

“Things.”

“Worried?”

“I always am.”

He lowered the bow and looked at her “What happened at breakfast this morning?”

“Oh don’t you bloody start.” He was mildly offended until he saw her weak smile “I’ve had everyone and their mother either offering me advice or trying to get the gossip. It’s not as bad as you think it is though.”

“Really? I saw how you spoke and looked at Ansem. You weren’t happy in the slightest. In fact, come to think of it, that’s the only time I’ve ever heard you speak nastily to anyone. Not in this world, not on the forum. You’re not like that, so something must have happened.” He saw her looking uncomfortable and sighed “I’m not going to push you Raya, but I know you, you never share things if you think it will bother people. But I’m your bodyguard and your friend, maybe even your confidant, and I’d rather not have you eaten up by this. Even if I can’t help, I’d-“

“Ansem kissed me.”

“What?!”

“And I kissed Avalanche.”

What?!

“It’s complicated.”

Fed shook his head and sighed “I’m not entirely surprised.”

“What do you mean you’re not surprised?!”

“That morning at Q’s mansion, I saw traces of Ansem’s Taint in your lifeforce, so I assumed-“

“You-assumed-what?

Fedaykin realised he was skirting incredibly close to seriously offending his friend and quickly changed track “I’m obviously wrong, I apologise. But…at the festival, why…?”

“I think Ansem’s reasoning was obvious.” Raya spat the words, which didn’t go unnoticed “Avalanche…oh I don’t fucking know. I was drunk and upset and feeling like shit. I doubt I was even thinking at the time.”

The lich watched her suspiciously “Do you like him?”

“What the hell are you implying?”

“Seems very out of character you’d kiss a guy without there being something else to it.”

“We are not having this conversation Fed.”

“Alright,” he went back to tuning his bow. There was a long stretch of silence before Raya broke it again.

“I mean he’s a nice chap and all, but really, I somehow doubt running around after a dark army with the constant threat of death is conductive to developing a relationship.”

“Wonder if he feels the same way.”

She spun her head round to look at him but Fedaykin had a complete pokerface, staring intently at his bow. They let the matter drop and fell into silence again, no sound save the creak of the ship and the lapping of the waves. Raya pulled the blanket more tightly around herself and sighed.

“Wish I could sleep.” She paused “Fed…back in Ashvald’s mansion…you saw a vision too, right?”

“Yes.”

“Do you think…do you think it actually was the future we saw?”

Fedaykin looked off into the middle distance, seeing his own vision play out, of that woman standing there and the terrible feeling of dread filling every fibre of his body “I hope it wasn’t.”

“Me too.” For a moment she opened her mouth, ready to pour out the vision that plagued her, to share her fears and be reassured by her close friend that they were unfounded, that he would protect her, but she couldn’t do it. How could she put it into words? How could she explain that maelstrom of terror and rage and grief and chaos? How could she explain the look on her friends’ faces, the bones and flesh crunching between her teeth, the sensation of power and that all was lost, and that one person lying broken on the floor, his chest torn open and clothes stained with blood? She couldn’t. The words died in her throat and she dutifully closed her mouth. She changed the subject. “What are you making?”

“This?” Fedaykin held up his device “This is a berimbau.”

Raya frowned, trying to remember where she’d heard that term before “That’s a capoeira instrument, right?”

“Right!” Fed brightened up considerably “And I think it’s about done. Maybe needs some paint, but…”

“Can you play it?”

“Of course. Want to hear? It needs a test after all.”

She smiled “Sure, why not. I’ve never heard you play.”

He positioned the berimbau against his chest and grinned apologetically “You’ll have to excuse my singing.”

She chuckled, pulling the blanket up around her and shifting into a more comfortable position “I’m sure you’ll do fine.”

After a few last experimental notes, Fedaykin began to play.

The final note died away and the world seemed strangely quiet, as though even the wind and the waves had stopped to listen. Fed waited, but there was no praise forthcoming. He looked round in surprise to find Raya leaning up against him, finally fast asleep. He smiled, put down his berimbau and continued to look up and watch the starry skies.

-------------------

The night passed by, and as the members emerged from their beds they found themselves lost in a grey twilight rather than a morning. The ship was shrouded in a thick mist that coated every surface with dew and diffused the weak sunlight until the entire fog glowed with a pale yellow light. Tendrils of mist coiled around their feet and the rigging, the mast lost from sight high above them. It was as if they and the ship were the only things left in creation, that nothing existed in that ethereal realm beyond.

The crew were muttering to themselves, immensely unhappy at what they perceived as an unnatural mist. Some were shooting suspicious looks at their passengers, as though considering if throwing them overboard would cause the air to become clear again.

Quaetam could sense the crew weren’t entirely misguided. Being magically attuned he could sense the mist felt…different. He made his way over to Avalanche, and his enquiry met with a conformation from his fellow caster.

“It’s like…there’s mana in the air, but it’s…stale. Stale, is that right?”

The Hierophant nodded. He considered himself more skilled than most at detecting magic, and with Avalanche being able to sense something too confirmed that something powerful was in the air. “Like a smell of an old book. This is something that’s been here for a long time.” Quaetam frowned “This is a dragon’s graveyard, perhaps the dragons created this mist to hide the Isle from view. But they’ve been extinct for centuries, if their enchantments were strong enough to survive all this time…” He spotted the party’s other caster and called him over for a third opinion “Ansem, can I speak to you for a moment?”

Ansem looked round at his name and his expression immediately darkened at seeing Avalanche, which didn’t go unnoticed by the former Hierophant. The necromancer opened his mouth to reply when with a great rumble a jagged tower of black rock loomed out from the mist and scraped horrifically against the side of the ship. The crew went into a panic, pulling the ship to a halt and frantically checking for damage. The hull had been battered but not breached. Reconvening on deck it soon became clear they were entering a deadly rock maze. More pillars of sharp rock could be seen faintly in the fog, amongst which were outlines that looked suspiciously like broken masts and bows. The crew were spooked and on the verge of mutiny, and Arden’s pleas and threats of payment were doing little to soothe them.

“Please, my friends, we’ve hired you to-“

“No, this is bullshit, we’re not going any further.”

“We’ll sink out here that we will!”

“This place is fucking cursed, we shouldn’t ‘ave come.”

“We need to turn back now, before it’s-“

“1000 gold pieces.” Said Quaetam, interrupting their panicked discussion. The bos’n sneered at the offer.

“Gold’s not much good when you’re too dead to spend it.”

“Each.”

There were mutterings amongst the crew when Requiem stood forward, holding a deed in his hand.

“You can have the ship as well.” He unrolled the document for everyone to see “Technically I own this ship. It’s yours if you carry on.”

There was a hurried and hushed debate amongst the crew, but in the end human greed won out over human fears. The ship continued on, albeit at a much slower pace. The hours crawled by and the rocks grew denser around them, the crew pushing the ship away with long poles. Eventually a call came from the stern that the depth was decreasing. The fathoms dropped lower and lower until finally with a great crunch the bow ran up against shingle and the mist parted like waters before them.

Great black granite cliffs rose high above them, sheer and lifeless. They towered over the small bay they had arrived in, the waters murky grey. Collecting what belongings they needed the members set off on rowboats, coming ashore on the damp dank sand. It was quiet. Unnervingly quiet. The waves barely lapped and not a single bird wheeled or called overhead. The atmosphere dampened all sound to the point they even found themselves conversing in hushed voices. It was as if literally they were standing on the boundaries of the underworld.

Quaetam lit a torch with some tinder and flint, the head flaring into life. He hoisted it, the thick wood feeling reassuringly heavy in his grip, the warm light a little solace in this cold place. He turned to the others, making sure they each had their own, repeating what he had said to Requiem.

“Stay out of the fog. Stay in the clear, and stick together. We don’t know what lies beyond in the mists, but the Isle is a focus of necromantic energy. And I’m sure the dragons left their own defences to guard their dead. Stay alert and stay together.”

“I’ll remain here with the crew and make camp.” Said Arden, pulling his cloak around him to guard against the chill “I’m sure they’ll be caves through which you can make entrance into the interior. Save you climbing those cliffs, eh?” He laughed but it sounded forced. He let it die away and a serious look crossed his face “Good luck, my friends. I think you will need it.”

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:08 am

Relmitos groggily makes his way up to the deck shielding his eyes expecting to be blinded by a bright sun. To his surprise, upon reaching the deck there is not much sunshine to blind him in the first place. In fact, there's not much of anything at all, save for the ship and crew. He slowly strides toward the rest of the group hearing the crew complain about the voyage.

The crew was getting anxious and mutiny was becoming a very real danger. Luckily, Quaetam and Requiem had it under control, offering promises of a large reward and even the very ship we were sailing on. Relmitos grins, laughing to himself.

Heh, these poor schmucks. Doing something this dangerous for an honest day's work for an honest pay and an honest living. Respectable, yes, easiest and safest way to get by, no. Especially not this job. One can almost see the letters GP in their eyes. Greed will see these guys dead one of these days, probably.

Upon docking and leaving the ship, Relmitos accepts one of the torches and sets it aflame.

"Isn't this ironic as all hell? This is the first bit of 'adventure' I get to go on with you guys and potentially show what I can do, and what happens? My abilities all involve being able to control the shadows and doing a range of things with them, including being able to cloak myself in shadow and hide. We're entering a place where the mist is so thick you can't see anything. so we're hidden by default. As if that wasn't the only thing, in order to actually get around here I've gotta carry around a torch that actually illuminates the area I'm standing in. Can't exactly manipulate the shadows surrounded in light, you know. I'll just have to rely on my mad whip skills, it would seem."

Relmitos shrugs and falls in line, ready to move out.

Then again.....maybe the mist will help me out. It's not dark as night, but it definitely blocks a lot of the sun light. We'll see.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:41 pm

"Alright......this is going to suck." Avalanche thought to himself the very moment they got near the island. The magic surrounding the coast was not as bad as being in the pressence of Shu'aradin?.......Shoraraadin?.......Shoesaremything?.......
It wasn't as bad as being in the pressence of Ashvald's demon. The similarities however were making him nervous, as if a demon could pop up at any moment. The fact that Q could feel it to only comfirmed his suspisions that this might just have been a very bad idea.
He quietly lamented the fact he didn't stay behind in Leknaat.

Getting on the island was somehow even worse then being near it. The very soil seemed to posses whatever alien mana was in the air. He looked around trying to measure the reactions of the others while landing but only Sahrimnir and Quaetam seemed noticeably uneasy. Ansem glared at him when he caught his glance. Avalanche hardly got the chance to wonder what was up with that as Feday crept up to him.
"ZOMBIE!" Fed cried out.
Avalanche made a highly dignified noise of surprise (whatever Perry had been saying) and imideatly turned around looking for danger, ready to put a shield down and.......He relaxed and looked annoyed at Feday who was failing to hide a amused smirk.
"Goddamnit Fed....." he groaned facepalming.
The entire coast of the island seemed barren with just dark rocks and a eerie mist that seemed to cover the entire area. Avalanche faced Perry who hopped of the ship no problem. If he was uncomfortable, he wasn't showing it.
"Seems like a lovely spot for a picnic." Perry said nodding his head and looking quite pleased with himself.
"Wonderful." Avalanche responded."Get the basket, we'll make it a real party."
"I could really go for tea now. Think Raya brought some?"
Avalanche felt like saying something about the whole thing between him and Raya, maybe even ask for his take on it, but reconsidered. He turned to face the foggy island."Let's just get this over with......The sooner we get out of this place the better.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Perry loved boats. Perry loved his new found working alcohol. Perry was happy.
Sitting under the deck for almost the majority of the trip, he had drank the entire day away, especially after his revelation about his favorite weapons. But he couldn't stay mad at them. Nor would he remember much of it with the rate he'd been drinking.

The silence in his cabin as the rest of the party just strolled around on deck, the creaking of the ship and the rocking movements of the boat. Perry felt at ease. It wasn't often he'd travelled by boat but he always enjoyed it.
It might've been the alcohol and it might've been the boat, but slowly his eyelids became heavier. He stood up and sat on the bed, not without the necessary wobbling as he moved around. Slowly everything turned black as the faun went to sleep early.

The night came and went, without perry noticing. Suddenly he was rudely awakened by the boat taking a batter. Feeling a tad bit groggy and like his stomach had surgically placed itself upside down, he opened his eyes. Where.... where was he? He glanced at the bottle in his hand and groaned. With a flick of the wrist he threw it against the wall and got out of bed. The boat rocked and instantly he fell down. 'What the hell... am I still drunk?', he thought as he sought support in the wall nearby. His surroundings kept moving and it slowly dawned on him... A boat?
Trying to remember what had happened wasn't going too well as it seemed like the last thing he remembered clearly would be the party the group was at in that small town... Did he get seperated?
Quickly and with a slight panic in his motion, he looked around just to find no one. His legs started to get used to the motions as he rushed around with haste trying to find someone. Anyone... Roy.. Fed.. Raya... STAIRS!
He quickly climbed up the stairs to the deck, though his brain had a late reaction as he opened the door, thinking he'd be staring into the sun.

He arrived on deck and saw the rest of the group. With a sigh of relief he smiled.
"Well ain't this the perfect hang-over weather.", he said as he walked up to join his fellow companions.
"What a party, huh? I can't even remember any of it.... How'd we end up on a friggin' boat?", he said with a croaky voice as his mouth was completely drought.

He looked at the tense faces of the crew around him and then started to put 2 and 2 together. Just as Avalanche started to sigh and shake his head at him, he interupted.
"Goddammit perry, we-""OH THIS IS THE BOAT!", he said much louder than intended.
"Damn, well ain't that a kicker. How long was I out for?"
"You... weren't. You've been drinking for almost 2 days straight since you found out that you can get drunk."
"What the hell, why didn't anyone stop me?!

"You're a bit of an.... irrational drunk., Fed said behind him with a slight hint of mockery in it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hours passed by and Perry sat on deck, enjoying the boat ride especially now that it was going slower. Time allowed him to sober up and he looked around at his companions to see everyone readying themselves to board the land.
The atmosphere was tense and sullen, but Perry didn't really seem all that affected. Might be the hangover or just being oblivious, but compared to most of the party members he was awfully cheery.

In time he hopped off the ship seemingly effortless. He looked around though the use of it wasn't really noticeable, the mist covered everything from sight. His ears twitched slightly as he instead tried to listen. It was the first time he noticed the island's aura....
If death would have a sound, this would be just about it. An eerie silence of all things living, oppressed by an overwhelming sensation of gloom. A low hum sounded from far far away, and the rustles that Perry could distinguish were not made by living creatures.
He frowned slightly, but quickly shrugged it off.

"Seems like a lovely spot for a picnic." Perry said nodding his head as he walked over to Avalance, smiling widely.
"Wonderful." Avalanche responded."Get the basket, we'll make it a real party."
"I could really go for tea now. Think Raya brought some?"

Avalanche frowned at the name of their fearless leader and seemed to ponder. Perry tilted his head in curiosity but before he could ask, Avalanche turned away.
"Let's just get this over with......The sooner we get out of this place the better."

"Alright then, mr. grumpypants.", Perry said. He wondered what was going on but then he slowly started to remember from 2 nights back. He had overheard Av and Raya's conversation... 'Seemed friendly at the start, didn't it?... what happene-... wait, didn't he ask about blood?'
Thoughts rushed through his head as more and more came back to him. The several conversations between forum members, the pent up rage towards eachother, the hormones overflowing left and right, a vicious attack in the alley and Raya's involvement, some punk ass goat trying to steal his prize... wait what.
He looked around, searching to find Raya and gave her a concerned look. She didn't seem to be doing all too well either...

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:22 pm

One by one, the Champions stepped away from the safety of their vessel, down onto the harrows of the Isle.  And one by one, they made their way up the shrill gravel beach, torches held aloft, staving off the mist that seeped around them, like tendrils of aether seeping into the mortal world.  As Arden began to unpack, setting up a flickering perimeter of lights in preparation for making camp, Quaetam moved ahead, his eyes turned skyward to where jagged bluffs towered, great walls of unyielding, haggard stone looming above them.  Their black contours, strong against the uncertainty of the mist, were abhorrent.  They appeared a barrier between the world of the living and whatever lay beyond, a floodgate restraining the terrors of the Isle within their ethereal boundaries.  

The silence was, in and of itself, oppressing.  The usual sounds of life, the subtle swaying of leaves in the breeze, the soft, rustling clatter of creatures scurrying across the surface below… all were gone in this wasteland.  In their wake, the waves sounded a haunting melody against the shores, and the wind, rushing through the barren expanse, granted the surroundings a subtle hum, a din that permeated the surrounding eternal gloom, carrying with it an unnatural sense of dread.  

And the atmosphere was withdrawn, held back, desolate, yet strained to breaking point.  It was like the calm before the storm, a final omen.  His companions engaged in conversation behind him, some whimsical, distracting themselves from the gravity of their surroundings through humor, through jest, others through nervous exchanges, sharing their thoughts, observations, and analysis.  But their voices were quiet, hushed, for they sensed it too. It was as if speaking too loud would shatter that calm, and the horrors beyond would spill over and consume them utterly.  As if something was waiting out there, in the mist, beyond the walls, and with one wrong move, one misstep, it would awaken.

With a sudden thought, Quaetam raised one hand, gathered the mystic floes, ready to part the mist before them.

But he felt the power at his fingertips, felt it bristle at his contact.  The mist before him seemed to swirl with energy, and he withdrew his contact,  allowing his silver aura to die out.  That sense of dread, of something lurking in the shadows… The Isle was a place of magic, of mana at its most raw.  He had always been attuned to the mystic floes.  If the others, new to the arcane arts, could sense its power, it was not to be trifled with.  Wading through enchantments is like riding a dragon.  Let the beast come to you, ease into it.  Wait to take control until you must; force yourself upon it too early, and you will meet a bitter end by its jaws, ”Azzix had always said, “The rules only hurt you if you break them,

Best to play along, for now.  

Hand lowered, torch aloft, staving off the unholy mist, Quaetam stepped forward. The Champions turned and followed the Hierophant as he slowly began to move up the beach towards the sheer rock face ahead.  Glancing back, he examined his companions as he proceeded.  The group’s morale was certainly intact, but their sentiments were as varied as their personas.  Avalanche stood concerned, brooding, and clearly ready to get out of here.  Perry wandered in the back, rubbing his head with one hand, exceedingly hungover. Fedaykin was cracking jokes, attempting to raise spirits a tad, yet noticeably concerned for his friends.  And Raya stood off to the side, her expression hard, her composure clearly masking a layer of concern, and perhaps trepidation, for what lay ahead.

The group followed him across the gravel, as around them, the droning of the nether continued to reverberate, incessantly, through the air.  Dark, hollow noises rose through the mist.  The forumites glanced about, concern etched on their faces, as behind them the flickering lights of the campsite faded, obscured by the mist, and their world was dominated by shadow, rock, and darkness.   Conversation fell silent as they walked, save for the occasional mutterings and observations, kept soft beneath that sensation of impending terror.  

“What next?” Tristan asked from Quaetam’s side.  The Hierophant glanced briefly at his comrade, then looked ahead once more as he continued.

“Now, we search for a way in,” Q said, “Arden mentioned there might be caves into the Isle’s interior.  We find one, and follow it into the Boneyard.”

“And from there?”

“From there… Hopefully we find what we’re looking for.”

They continued for a moment in silence, before Quaetam came to a halt. Tristan, lost in uncertain thought, began to meander past, but the Hierophant held up his right arm, catching the young mage’s attention.  Tristan shot Quaetam an inquisitive glance, and the Hierophant merely pointed ahead and nodded.  Before him, the mist seemed to part.  The cliffs loomed ahead; their stone bleak, black, and smooth to the eyes, towering unknowingly into the fog-smothered heavens.  They were an expanse unto infinity, a broad, impassable wall that stood stark against the uncertain fog.  

There, before the two Champions, was a gaping maw.  

The cave yawned wide, a hole in the unyielding wall.  Within, the darkness was absolute.  And some unknown force, some dark will, seemed to beckon to them, to call them into the abyss.  

<<To be finished asap, placeholder simply so Raya can post>>

Last edited by Quaetam on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:23 am; edited 2 times in total

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:49 pm

Spoiler:
I appreciate it Q. I'll edit this when you're done so it fits better with yours.

As the group assembled their belongings and made ready to leave Raya stared up at the granite cliff faces and shivered, this time not entirely from the cold. This whole place was incredibly foreboding and every primitive instinct in her brain was screaming at her to turn back. There was nothing but death beyond those high walls. But no, they needed to do this; somewhere in there was Mousillon’s royal family, and if they retrieved them they could seize back Mousillon from the Army’s dark grip. And perhaps that would be the turning point, the action that would trigger the avalanche of resistance across the Northlands and bring freedom for all. And, perhaps, a way for them to get home.

She felt her hairs rise on her nape and turned to see Perry watching her with a concerned look on his face.

“Can I help you?”

Perry glanced round at the others, who were paying them no attention, and came closer until he could speak without being overheard. The height difference between the two was almost comical, with Raya barely reaching his chest. He could easily pet her on the head, although he doubted she’d appreciate that. The faun adopted an air of geniality.

“That festival was certainly something. I got wasted.”

“We noticed,” Raya cracked a grin “Any idea how hard it is to shift a faun in a drunken stupor from out a bathtub?”

“I hear you got into trouble yourself. Something about blood?”

“Oh. Av told you?” Raya didn’t seem too thrilled at that “Yeah, I got into a fight with a drunk, nothing more.”

“Was it serious?”

“No, nothing to worry about. I was able to fight him off.”

“You did more than that, didn’t you? You tore him apart.”

Raya stiffened and turned. Perry’s tone and gaze were as hard as steel.

“I saw the alley Raya. There wasn’t anything left to call a man.”

A look close to fear crossed Raya’s face “Did…did you see me?”

“No, but I know you were there. And I don’t think a person like you can reduce a man to goulash in such a short time. And then you’re brushing off all the questions about where the blood came from and pretending like nothing ever happened. Raya, what happened in that alley?

Raya looked to see if anyone was listening, then grabbed Perry’s wrist and pulled him close “Bad shit happened, alright?” she hissed “I did that, I tore that man apart. You think I’m proud of it? You think I’m happy I’m capable of that? No, I’m absolutely fucking terrified. But that was a mistake, an accident, and it’s not going to happen again. Ever.” Perry made to reply and she cut him off before he could answer “I want you to keep this to yourself Perry. I don’t want the others to think the second I lose my temper I’m going to flip my shit and rip their arms out. I don’t want them to think their leader can’t handle things, that she can’t get them home again. And…” a look of sadness briefly flickered across her face “I…I don’t want them scared of me. I need to keep this a secret, for the benefit of all of us. Surely you can see that’s for the best?”

Perry scowled and pulled his arm away “I’m not going to cover for you Raya.”

“I don’t expect you to. I just…want you to not say anything.”

The rest of the party had finished their preparations and made their way towards them. Raya mouthed a please to the faun, then turned all smiles to the group.

“Ready guys?”

Perry could see how forced that smile was. He frowned but said nothing, instead allowing his hands to drift lower to his axes, his fingers curling tightly around the handles.

--------------------------

After a while of walking down the beach the group found one of the caves Arden had mentioned, a gaping maw in the cliffside. It was large enough to allow all of them to comfortably walk through, with only the occasional low ceiling to cause Perry and Fedaykin to duck. The walls were smooth and the ground sandy, as though the cave had been carved by running water eons ago. They went in deeper, the dull sunlight behind them soon lost, until their only illumination came from their torches. It was eerily quiet, not a drip of water or a chirp of bugs anywhere.

TD’s voice eventually broke the silence “What’s that over there?”

His torchlight had picked up a glimmering further down the passage. On closer inspection it turned out to be gold coins, scattered amongst the sand. Further down were more coins, spilling out from a torn, rotten bag.

“What’re these coins doing here?” asked Requiem, picking one up to examine it.

“Dragons are famed for hording gold,” shrugged Quaetam “Perhaps someone came here and looted some. Judging by the state of the bag, it was a long time ago.”

“That’s not the only thing we can judge by the bag.” Relmitos picked up the decaying sack and held it up, clearly displaying the holes in it: they weren’t natural tears, they were slash marks “Looks to me like they were chased down here and lost their loot.”

“But if they escaped, why didn’t they come back for the coins? And if they didn’t escape, where are the bodies?”

“What do you think?”

There was a moment of silence before Snake spoke up. “This shit just keeps getting worse.”

“Well, let’s just…not steal anything and provoke whatever’s there, alright?”

Requiem looked at the coin he’d picked up and tossed it back onto the pile, rejoining the others as they continued on.

---------------

After a while the sand on the floor gave way to rock, the gradient slowly rising. The smell of the sea air faded and the cave grew brighter as they approached the end of the passage. Finally the walls fell back and they emerged out into the open, staring around in horrid fascination and surprise.

The interior of the Isle was a maze of black jagged rocks and cliffs, the sky above darkened and choked with the enchanted mist, the smell of mana and death detectable by even the non-magical. And upon each and every surface was an endless multitude of bone. Every ledge and hollow was overflowing with the countless skeletons of dragons. Bones of every shape and size were piled high against the rock faces, forming hills and valleys they stretched farther than they could see. Skulls were scattered amongst them; some small enough to fit into a palm, others larger than houses, their teeth still sharper than any sword. What little wind there was whistled between the gaps, vibrating the dried flaps of skin still clinging to broken bare wings in a sibilant dirge. The place was a boneyard, filled with the skeletal remains of the draconic race, where millions of their kind had found their final rest.

“Huh,” said Perry aloud “So, why is this place a focus of necromantic magic again?”

“This is no good,” muttered Relmitos, glancing about “This place is perfect for an ambush. There’s cover everywhere, there could be threats hiding behind eac-“

There was a clatter of bone that made everyone jump and whirl, weapons at the ready, only to find Raya digging through a pile of bones. She pulled out the top half of a dragon skull, admired it for a moment, then realised that everybody has staring at her.

“What?”

Godverdomme Raya,” sighed Avalanche in relief “Don’t scare us like that.”

“Oh shit, sorry.”

“We are on an island of undead, y’know. Rattling bones aren’t very reassuring.”

“I just wanted a look, this is really interesting. I mean, check this out!” She pointed at the jaw joint of the skull “The dentary is connected to the quadrate!” There were blank looks “The dentary is connected to the QUADRATE.” Still more blank looks “Oh you guys suck.”

“Can we make a move?” asked Camilla. “This place is giving me the creeps.” She was looking around at the skulls leering down at them from every surface, their empty eye sockets following their every move. It was stupid, these things had been dead for centuries, yet she felt sure like they were being watched and judged. The mist drifting about up high didn’t help, making her think there were spirits lurking just out of her field of vision.

“I agree,” said Fedaykin “Raya, what…” he trailed off on seeing her attempting to fit the skull on her head like a helmet.

“What? I’m a Cubone.”

“Could you leave the dead animals alone for just a minute?” he asked with a smile.

“Spoilsport.” Raya chuckled and turned back to the task at hand “Right, the royal family must be on this island somewhere. We need to find them and get out as soon as possible. We can travel together, which is slower and safer, or-“

“If you say ‘split up’ like we’re the fucking Scooby gang…” interrupted Snake.

“-or we can split up like we’re the fucking Scooby gang.”

“Fuck you.”

“Slower and safer or faster and more dangerous. Well guys? Opinions?”

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 am

Relmitos looks around in wonder and amazement. All of these skeletons......and not just any skeletons, dragon skeletons. Massive and ominous, paying homage to the legacy of the dragons that inhabited, or inhabit, this island. They were truly a sight to behold, these ancient fossils.

Obviously he'd never seen a dragon before, but he had played enough RPGs to know not to mess with the things. Sure, they carried fantastic treasure, but they're also really, really hard to kill. Usually.

Dragons. Why are they the first thing I get to fight? Whatever game gods exist are laughing at me, right now. I know it. I mean, really. Fafnir, Nidhogg, and Jormungand were not my friends in FFXI. Dragon's Aery wasn't a friendly place, but the most deadly thing about those guys was that Spike Flail. I always imagined how it would feel to get hit by that in real life, but never did I expect to have that become a real possibility.

His thoughts were interrupted and he snapped back into reality upon hearing the rattling bones. Turning toward the sound, there was Raya digging around in a pile of bones.
Righto, this is one of those things Raya has a large interest in. I'd have to imagine dragons weren't exactly high on the expected find list though.

That's when it happened; the suggestion of possibly splitting up to explore this godforsaken place.

Relmitos glares intently at Raya. "You can't be serious in suggesting that. Splitting up? In a place like this? That's most likely the worst thing we can possibly do. You did see that bag we found, didn't you? If not only that, just take a look at this place. Giant dragon skeletons, low visibility, and plenty of places to possibly be attacked."

He sighs, knowing no one will get this reference, but nevertheless proceeds to say it anyways.

"That, and dragons. SPIKE FRIARU!!!!"

The group gives him funny looks, confused as all hell at the statement.

"Don't worry about it, FFXI thing. All you need to know is that Spike Frairu was what was yelled when dragons used Spike Flail. Spike Flail killed whole alliances. Point is, I'm against splitting up and I suggest we all stick together. Should we split up, who knows what could happen to any of us and there's no guarantee that we'll even meet back up again. That's my take on it."

At that, he uncoils the whip from around his belt and keeps it at the ready, for who knows what lurks beyond the shadows?

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:57 pm

Ever since they had set foot on this forsaken island, the air ripe with the aura of doom and momentariness, something sinister resonated deep within the Lich. Something dark and looming, but yet welcoming, embracing. In a strange and perverted way, Fedaykin felt at home, as if he belonged here. He tried to shake of the feeling, labeling it as unimportant, ridiculous even, but it persistet in the darker recesses of his mind. He tried to focus on his companions, who were obviously not in high spirits, forcing a smile on his lips and witty remarks on his tongue, but to little effect. The Undead wondered, if his presence acted as an amplifier, channeling the necromantic influence wherever they went. Nyall had mentioned such a phenomenon in his journals, but Fedaykin wasn't sure, if his memory was correct on this. He knew, that his summoner had written several chapters about this island, but the Zombie hadn't gotten around to read them yet, being too distraced by building his berimbau. In retrospect, maybe finishing the instrument could have waited until after their trip here, since he hadn't brought it with him on the adventure. On the other hand, undeath would be really boring without surprises.

They travelled mostly in silence, as every spoken word seemed to be unbelievably loud in the abscence of any other sound. Nobody dared to attract the attention of something that might be lurking out of sight. The humming inside Fedaykin's bones intensified, as they entered the dragon's lair, the gold tempting nimble fingers to take some coins with them, possibly bringing misfortune to the thiefs. The Lich had read enough sagas in his youth to steer away from the riches. He was no Siegfried and his daggers were certainly no match for Balmung. That cap of invisibility would be quite handy too, now that he thought about it. His eyes searched for Snake, the lucky bastard. Fed had never been so envious before. Finally, after a time that had seemed like the quarter of an eternity, the party resurfaced.

So. Many. Bones.

The sight of huge piles of bones were nothing new to the Lich, as he had been in the catacombs beneath Vienna before, where the skeletal remains of the plague victims rested, but this was an entirely different level. On a scale from 1 to 10, this place scored a solid 9.1 on the bone scale, while Fed's hometown got a weak 0.004. He stood there, jaw dropping to his knees, while the image settled in.

Like everybody else, he turned around in alarm, as Raya proceeded to do palaeontological researches. She practially exploded with curiosity, taken up completely with it, exclaiming something of scientifical importance, that was lost on anybody but her. Fed chuckeled silently. It was good to see her enjoying herself, especially after the conversation they had.

Camilla's request to move on brought him back to the matters at hand, the reason why the even had embarked to this place. After joking around a bit more, the question was still in the air. Stay together or split up?

Relmitos vehemently requested to stick together, but this island was pretty big... After giving the whole situation some thought, Fedaykin spoke up:

"Relm, I need to disagree. You make a good point, staying together gives us an edge in numbers. But look at the other side. This island is huge. If we don't split up, it'll take forever to scour this place. We just have that many supplies and from what I've seen so far, you're the only living beings here, so food might get scarce. Oh, and I'm pretty sure you feel it in the air too. Do you really want to stay here longer than necessary? I suggest splitting up in two evenly sized groups, each containing one person adepted in holy magic and at least one with knowledge about the dark arts, like me. Quaetam knows his share too, maybe somebody is adept in it without knowing it, this is a place of focus, after all. Minby is fast enough to outrun anything we might encounter and can easily find the other group thanks to his scouter. Hell, maybe he can give td a call by now. And if everything else fails, we have mages to make a big a big spectacle in the air that yells "HELP, GUYS" up in the sky. We can try to set up camp together at night, to give you the opportunity to catch some sleep. Just think about it for a second."

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:41 pm

"Hey, TD, wanna be Francis? I'll be Zoey, Minby can be Louis. Weldar's Bill." She paused for a moment, thinking. "Alternatively, I'll be Ellis, you can be Nick. Minby's Rochelle."

Camilla looked around the group, feeling quite strange. It had been a feeling that had been building up inside her since arriving on this island, and now she was in the lair of dragons she was almost overcome with...something. She didn't know what. She wanted to be away from the majority of the group, at least. Splitting up seemed to be the best selfish idea she could think of.

"I'm the dragonborn, guys, it's okay," she stated, sarcastically. "Sure I'll probably meet some horrible disturbing demise, but what with all the trouble I bring here, that's probably for the best, now, isn't it?" She looked around at the dragon skulls, feeling that...she didn't know what...again, before she picked up one of her blades, turned, and walked quickly away from the rest of the group, not caring if anyone followed her.

The dragons had to be alive, they had to be watching them. She knew that for sure, without knowing. It was a strong feeling she had inside of her, and she wasn't too sure why. Intuition, she suspected. Her hand twitched involuntarily, molecular structures threatening to rewrite themselves without her control or consent. What was she, the Hulk? Some sort of Twilight-style werewolf? She hoped not.

Away from the lair, and from the group, Camilla forced herself to breathe easier. Still, something was coming. She didn't know what, but something was about to happen.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 am

"Whoa Camilla, hold up. I'M Nick, no questions asked. I call dibsies." Snake said, as he broke from the group and looked around the cave. The light from their torches dimly lit the walls. "Well do us all a favor, and for once try not to run ahead, Snake. Heaven forbid you get pounced around a corner." Quaetam replied, with a chuckle and a smirk. Snake huffed and looked back. "Yea, yea, You're just jealous because you know I secretly have some mad skill. And lord knows if I had a shotgun, I could take on anything." He looked over at Raya as she examined a pile of bones and rolled his eyes. As he turned back around, he slipped and lost his balance. "Shit! What the hell is th-" he yelled, his voice echoing around the cavern as he brushed his hand against the ground and held it against the torch he managed to keep holding on to in his other hand. He stopped mid sentence as he realized exactly what he was standing in. Blood. And from the looks of it, it certainly wasn't dry. He stepped back quickly as he lowered his light toward the ground, trying to see where it was coming from. The splatter led from the floor all the way to the nearby wall. There was no corpse near it, but he quickly took note of the large amount of blood that coated the wall, almost as high as he could reach. His eyes widened and instead of a scream, he merely faded out of sight. The torch seemed to float in midair as the group was able to make out what Snake had seen only moments earlier.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:22 pm

TD stood there, in the mist. A deep chill permeated the air, and seemed to sink into his very soul.

Shivering for a moment, he wrapped his cloak around them, and turned inward.

aurora, what do you know about undead and dark magic?

Well... Dark magic is similar to normal magic. It draws from a mana pool within the caster, and has the signature of the caster imprinted in it. A magical footprint, if you will. Except... Dark magic does something. I don't quite understand it, but something about the nature of it- the link between it and death and the control over it, of who will die and what bodies will serve you... It twists most people. Even without them realizing it, they become twisted. Soon, all that's left is a shadow of their former self, casting magic darker than a moonless night aiming to cause people harm. It's... frightening to see someone descend like that. Into a sociopath. Into a power-crazy monster devoid of humanity. Most end up seeing their comrades, their friends as nothing more than a means to an end- a battery to fuel their experiments and their spells. Light magic, and beings of light magic like myself, are both incredibly powerful against and incredibly weak to dark magic. Light shines brightest in the Darkest Night, and Blackest Night dims the Strongest Light, to remember it easily. So, yes, light magic is strong against the undead. As for the undead themselves... Well... There are a few sorts. The zombies are mindless husks, unwilling slaves in a shell, animated and bound by necromantic magic. Other undead, however, are a different matter. Vampires, liches... Those that bound themselves into an undead, unliving form by their own choice... they are a different matter. Incredibly powerful, and usually evil. The evil part probably doesn't apply to your friend over there, since his transformation was not done of his own volition.

Alright... Is there a way to enchant my weapon? Make it have a light affinity? Can I do that with my magic?

Well... It's possible to run energy through the weapon, but to make it last with my power, you'd need to constantly supply it with mana and essence. I'm pretty sure you'd want to reserve that for other things.

Yeah...

What I could do is only enchant it in the instance of actually attacking. As for your magic, that's fairly easy to do.

Alright... By the way, how do you choose what part of my essence to use when I ask you for assistance?

Well... that depends. I mean... I take essence based on how you give it to me. I can take life energy from a blood offering, but that's somewhat impractical in battle. I can take years off of your future lifespan, but humans generally dislike that option. That leaves the third option- drawing off of your emotions. Emotions are a product of your Soul. Your Soul is basically the fundamental source of your Essence- it's what makes you who you are, it's where your emotions are drawn from, where your will to live comes form, where the energy to live comes from. Your Essence is not your Soul per se, since your soul can still exist when yuor essence is depleted, but they are linked together very closely. But that's neither here nor there. Point is, Emotions are a part of both your Soul and your Essence. Being a Light Spirit, I draw on the more positive emotions. I... technically can use the negative emotions, but it's painful to do so. They are somewhat incompatible with what I am. I can still convert them into energy though, since they are still a form of essence. When I draw on your emotions, I basically remove them from your essence. Your Soul and Essence replenish over time, and as such so do your emotions- however, doing things that are emotionally good for you- being with friends. Enjoying yourself. Those bring your positive emotions to the forefront of yourself. They repair the damage done to your essence, the parts that I remove. Eventually, your emotions will return to normal. How long it takes depends on you.

Alright... And... Uh... How do you define "positive emotions"?

Well... Righteous anger is more positive than standard anger, but more negative than joy. Rage is a lot more negative than anger, and both Rage and Anger all more positive than Hate. It's really just common sense to figure out what's positive and what's negative.

Well, that makes sense...

TD's internal discussion was cut short as he heard Snake call out.

"Shit! What the hell is th-"

TD whipped his head around, and moved towards where he heard the noise.

Last edited by td260 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:45 am

Avalanche shivered following the group into the lair of bones. Something did nót want them on them island. Either that or as white mage he was just incredibly bad against any form of dark magic. Would that mean a mage more specialised in dark arts like Ansem was weak against light magic and feel bad in places like Leknaat?
He turned to ask but was met with a intense glare
"Clearly I am not the only one bothered by the dark majicks here..." Avalanche thought to himself while following close behind Fed and Perry in an almost subconcious attempt to stick with the people who became meatshields upon entering this bizarro universe.

The moving of a pile of bones startled Avalanche. Upon looking closer he saw Raya dragging out a large dragon skull. He started missing his glasses for how poor his eyesight was getting; At first glance it appeared as if the whole pile was comming alive.
She started enthousiastically talking about the skull's qualities. He honestly wanted to try to understand it, but he was just blankly nodding along. It was kinda funny seeing her face light up like a child discovering the presents under a christmas tree. It was quite endearing and....
Wait.....
Never mind then, she started wearing it as a helmet claiming to be a cubone.

Avalanche felt like he just heard the worst idea ever at the suggestion of splitting up, but Fed's logic was sound. It didn't mean he'd like it though. He just avoided the discussion and go along with whatever the rest picked, as long as he had one of the frontline fighters to cower behind if things get dangerous. Sometimes he really wondered why, of all things, he got picked as a white mage instead of a class that could actually do some good.
"-"
Avalanche looked around. A faint voice called out to him but he couldn't quite place it.
"--"
He turned around again but the only one behind him was Sahrimnir, idly looking around at the dragonbones.
"You heard that right?" Avalanche asked. He wasn't losing it was he?
"You mean about the splitting up?" Sah tilted his head a little."Well, nothing has been decided yet. We probably wouldn't travel in the same group anyway."
Avalanche nodded. So what if he was losing it? Everyone else seemed to."Right, shortage of healers." he added."They seem to be very inclined to get themselves stabbed, bludgeoned, shot and magicked."
"So far so good right?" Sah added, ever so optimistic."Nothing has been trying to kill us in days, I mean....What could-"
"Dont...."
"-possibly go wrong?"
Avalanche threw his hands up."You jinxed it." he muttered. "I can't believe it, you fucking jinxed it."
Sahrimnir looked sheepishly for a moment before realizing."....Probably shouldn't have said that."
"We're on a island of bones, skulls, dragons, darkness and death, and you invoke the oldest horror cliché in the book. That's it; we're done for." Avalanche puffed his cheek in mock-anger. Sahrimnir just snickered.
"----"
"Really? Are you not fucking hearing this?" Avalanche asked while trying to locate the source of the noise.
"Yes yes" Sahrimnir said imitating Avalanche's agitation."Island of dark and death"
"No I mean......god, never mind." He sighed annoyed leaning against his staff. He felt old.
"Shall we join the rest?"
"------"
"Just go ahead" Avalanche muttered."I'll be there in a moment."

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:07 am

"Well i for one think we should sti-.....stick together...."

Ansem was all ready to go with the team thing, be supportive and help out, but it looked like the group had other plans. Camilla disappeared, snake followed suit and then TD went on with them.

You know what? Fine, who needs those three. Snake is obviously not interested in being any help, TD would probably crap his pants if enemies would come, and camilla....If she wants to believe she's useless, who am i to say anything about that. Even though i reeeaaally want to go over there and tell her to pull her head out of her ass, what's the use anyway? So fuck it. Fuck em all. Fuck snake. Fuck camilla. Fuck Roy, And Raya as well, though they don't need my approval for that anyway apparently.

Ansem stopped walking for a second and grabbed his head. He wasn't thinking straight. It was this place, it messed with his head. He could feel the power surging from the very heart of this island, it was intoxicating. He could almost see the strings attached to the bones lying around, remnants from the ancient puppet masters able to control these things. Could he control undead dragons? Probably not....
As he started walking with the group again, Ansem felt the need to say something. Everyone was talking about the dark magics, complaining or experiencing puzzlement, he should clear things up. But then again... why should he?

It's not my responsibility that these guys know the inner workings of the Power that keeps me up and running. Do I even know how this shit works? Fuck no. Time to find out.

"Hey, Q. Think you can help me out with something in a minute? These energies hanging around here feel natural to me, but i don't think i have the whole magic theory down enough to fully use this crap. You seem to be more of a research 'n study type, maybe we can team up and figure out how this shit works?"

Last edited by Ansem on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Avalanche turned away from the group, staring at the vista behind them. The piles of bones, the black rocks, the dark mist swirling overhead…dammit, they really were stuck in a horror movie. And Sah had just jinxed them. Great, now all they needed was someone to say they’d ‘be right back’ and then the bloodbath would probably begin.

“-------“

Goddammit, what the hell was that?! It was as if someone just out of earshot was calling him. He took a few steps forward, paused and wondered what the hell he was doing. Yes, go off alone into a dragon’s graveyard following a disembodied voice. Never mind the zombies, there were probably all kinds of ghosts and other horrible undead creatures just waiting for a tasty white mage to snack on. He wasn’t going to fall for that and was going to remain uneaten, thank you very much.

He made to turn back when something caught his eye, causing him to halt. Besides the path in amongst a pile of debris and old bones lay an odd object. He cleared away the material around it and stepped back.

It was a pillar of black granite rock, chiselled into a thin rectangular shape, easily a foot or two taller than he was. The bottom half was smooth, lacking any form of inscription or decoration. The upper part however was carved into a statue of a humanoid figure. It was hunched over as though perching on the pillar, hands resting on its bent knees and head looking downwards. Its hands and bare feet bore curved claws, its head long and reptilian, crowned with two long horns that stretched from the back of its skull. The eyes were empty sockets, whatever used to fill them- jewels most likely- having been prised out by a thief long ago. In a strange way it resembled a long-robed monk in a half-assed dragon costume.

Avalanche ran his hand over the smooth granite. It was flawless, as though carved yesterday. It occurred to him that this was the first artificial thing he had seen in the boneyard. Everything else had been mortal remains and rocks, but this…there had been the tattered remains of the looter’s bag in the cave, but that had been dropped by an intruder. Someone or something had deliberately made this statue and placed it here.

Why?

Without knowing why he dug his fingers under the statue and heaved, attempting to stand it up again. He guessed what had happened- at some point treasure seekers had come across it and knocked it down to pry loose the eyes. This statue had obviously been important once, and seeing it lying there in the debris just seemed…wrong somehow. The statue shifted enough for him to get his shoulder under it and he threw his weight against it, feet kicking in the dirt and cursing his lack of physical prowess. With a mighty shove the statue rocked back upright, wobbling on its base and threatening to topple the other way until it finally settled back into place.

Avalanche sighed in relief, stretching his back and wondering why on earth he’d done that. Not that this statue meant anything to him, but having it stand up again, as it must have done for centuries, just seemed…right somehow. Whether the statue was grateful or not it gave no sign. The empty eye sockets stared down at him, neither thankful nor wrathful. Avalanche shrugged and dusted off his robes…then the screaming began.

He whirled, staring at the boneyard behind him, back the way his friends had been. There were more screams of pain and fear that were instantly obliterated by an ear-splitting guttural roar that shook the ground beneath him.

Avalanche cursed, grabbed his staff and ran towards the sound.

Avalanche’s Trial Begins!

Spoiler:
This is going on whilst everyone is talking. Don't worry guys, nobody else is hearing the screaming and roaring Wink

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:00 am

Quaetam frowned, furrowing his brow as he looked around, his torch and his eyes piercing the enchanted mist, sweeping upon the desolation that was the center of the Isle. They stood at the mouth of the cave, gazing out upon a vast valley, strewn with pieces of bone and gold, relics of the reign of the dragons, great tyrants reduced now to little more than dust. It was a place of eerie splendor; golden lights twinkling through the gloom, beckoning them, luring them into some unseen snare. In another age, they would have no doubt marveled at its wealth, at its beauty. Great skeletons arced amidst the gloom, shadows of the dragons dormant below the fog. Steep crags, towering cliffs pierced the mist, their jagged peaks skewering the obscured sky above.

Slower and safer. Faster, and more dangerous…

Turning to the others, listening to their conversation, Snake, Camilla, and Tristan casually laughing, joking about Left 4 Dead… Quaetam allowed himself a brief smile. It had been months since he’d even thought of that game. Yet, the rules only hurt you if you break them, and here, just as in Left 4 Dead, staying together and working with the team was one of the goddamn rules. Split up, and you create chaos; split up, and someone gets left behind. Someone will slip up, and they could all perish by the mist, or whatever darkness and enchantments lurk in the boneyard.

The Hierophant gazed through the mist, trying to see some end to the desolation, but failed; the boneyard stretched beyond the shroud, its limits out of reach. Yes, they had to keep moving, but there was a lot of ground to cover… And the silence, the oppressive, overbearing sense of something lurking in the mist, had only grown since they set camp upon the gravel beach. It was naught but a calm before yet another harrowing storm. The Isle was biding its time, he could feel it; It was waiting for them, for the right moment to strike.

He examined his friends. Where they had been battle weary when he first met them, they now were well rested, having not seen combat for a while now. The group’s morale was higher than it had been since before… since before Quaetam had joined, he noted, wincing as his thoughts briefly returned to the courtyard, to his home. Yes, however spooked they were by the Isle, their spirits were strong.

His thoughts were interrupted as Snake, Camilla, and Tristan wandered off, laughing about Left for Dead. He turned to the others, but they gave nary a reaction save a few disappointed, scorning glances.

Yes, their spirits were strong, but their guards were down.

Could they be trusted to stay safe? Could they be trusted to survive? The Hierophant knew his way around; he could feel the magic floes, he could avoid outstepping his bounds and triggering whatever doom the Isle had in store, at least for as long as possible. But while the other Champions had power and promise, they’d been here less than a fortnight. They had little experience, and if separated, he wouldn’t be able to save all of them if things went bad. Hell, he didn’t know if he could save himself. And he couldn’t afford to lose anyone else. Not when things were finally going right.

But he knew the danger of this place. He knew its repute, he could feel its power. For how long could they idle here, joking about Boomers and Smokers while the walls rose ever higher around them, while the mist slowly settled in, while the night approached, and their torches burned ever lower? Black magic had earned its name; it waxed and waned with the moon, and at night, could be harnessed to its full potential.

This was not a bargain worth making, not a game worth playing. They had no time to waste; the sooner they found the royal family, the better their chances of all escaping alive. The better their chances of saving Mousillon, and fighting off the Nameless Army. They needed to move quickly, whatever the cost.

And perhaps they could survive… however new his friends were to this world, they had shown remarkable promise, and worked well together as a unit. They had at least two capable of healing; Avalanche and Sahrimnir each wielded white magic, essential to surviving in this place. Three could easily serve as scouts; Camilla’s shapeshifting, Minby’s speed, and Snake’s invisibility may not be enough to avoid any enchantments, but could certainly assist the group in assessing any more… tangible threats. Perry served as an excellent powerhouse, he acknowledged with a smile. It’d be interesting to see any wraiths, any lich, try to bring down the faun. And beyond the Faun, every Champion was perfectly capable of combat.

He caught Raya’s eye. Yes… Most importantly, they had a perfectly capable leader. He could trust her to keep them out of trouble. As he held her gaze, the pieces began to fit together… Two groups of seven, one led by himself, the most experienced of the group, one by Raya, the group’s chosen leader. Avalanche and Sah would also have to go in separate groups as the two white mages, the two healers… Given the recent drama, Ansem couldn’t go in Raya’s group, so he’d stay with Quaetam. Avalanche also couldn’t go with Ansem, so Av would go with Raya, and Sahrimnir with himself. Requiem would stay with Quaetam; after what he’d determined on the boat, he had to look after the guy… he didn’t want to take any chances. Quaetam could handle himself in combat, so Perry could go with Raya, ideally… Fedaykin, as Raya’s sworn bodyguard, would certainly go with her…

“I agree with Fedaykin,” said Quaetam, focused. The others turned towards him, their conversation halted to hear what he had to say, “We’re wasting too much time here; this Isle is riddled with enchantments, there’s too much ground to cover. And… you know what’s scarier than rummaging through an enchanted dragon graveyard, filled with haunting fog? Doing it in the dark. Night’s coming, we shouldn’t spend any longer than necessary.”

He paused, and shook his head, turning towards Raya, “I’m going to go after those three; they’ll get killed out there on their own. Gotta keep them out of trouble.”

Raya nodded her affirmation, and Quaetam turned to Ansem, who quickly interjected, "Hey, Q. Think you can help me out with something in a minute? These energies hanging around here feel natural to me, but I don't think I have the whole magic theory down enough to fully use this crap. You seem to be more of a research 'n study type, maybe we can team up and figure out how this shit works?"

Quaetam hesitated for a moment, before nodding, “Absolutely. If we can get a handle on what’s at play here, we’ll stand a better chance of getting out of here alive.”

Relmitos shook his head, “I don’t like this. You’re on the wrong end of every horror cliché in the book. We need Mousillon if we’re going to defeat the Nameless Army, but being alive kinda helps too. Wasn’t it you who told us to stick together?”

“It’s a bit late for that,” said Quaetam, gesturing towards the mist, towards where Snake and the others had run off. The fog had long obscured their torchlight, but the Hierophant could still feel one of their auras at a distance, some flow of magic, “They’re out there, and probably being a little less careful than they should. It’s only so long before they step out of line, before this all goes to shit.”

“I don’t want…” Quaetam hesitated, before continuing, “I don’t want to lose any more friends than I have already. One way or another, we have to decide, and quickly. We need to get moving, find the Von Carstiens, and get out of here by nightfall.”

He paused, looked around. The others looked on silently; Relmitos gazing off to the side, Perry frowning, arms crossed.

“Q’s right,” Raya said, breaking the silence, “Well, about splitting up, anyhow. This place gives me the creeps. I don’t want to be here any longer than I have to, and I’ll be bloody damned if we have to set up camp here. There just isn’t time for a slow and steady search. If what you say is true, and the powers of this place will be amplified in the dark of night, we have until sunset. By then we need to either find the royal family’s safe haven, if they’re really here, or get out. Q, you said you’re going to watch over Camilla, Snake, and Tristan? I’ll lead the rest.”

Quaetam nodded, “Exactly what I was thinking.”

“So if Ansem’s going with you, we’ll need a necromancer… ” Raya mused, “Requiem, could you stick with us? I know you’re not exactly the necromantic type, but you’re the only other one who comes close.”

Requiem gave Quaetam a respectful glance, and seeing no disapproval, nodded.

“Okay,” Raya continued, “As for the healers, Q—“

“We’ll take Sahrimnir,” Quaetam interjected, “Avalanche can stick with you.”

Ansem muttered something about another place Avalanche could stick it, but Quaetam paid no heed.

“Alright then,” said Raya, “so, what’s the plan?

“We keep moving forward, whatever happens. Try not to stray too far to the sides unless you have to. We should be able to sweep this valley. If you can, try to stay within the range of our torchlight. If not, make sure you keep your bearings in the fog; don’t get turned around,” the Hierophant advised, “If all else fails, and we feel the approach of the oncoming night, we’ll need to be able to find our way back here, to shelter.”

Quaetam paused. Something was wrong. The influence, the magic flow he’d detected earlier… It had vanished. He closed his eyes, ignoring Raya’s quizzical expression, and allowing himself to reach out with the floes of magic, taking care not to disturb the mists with his influence. The enchanted fog distorted his sense, its latent power restraining his reach, eschewing his vision.

And then he found it. There, at the edge of his perception, was the pulse of energy he’d sensed from the others. They were still alive.

Holding back a sigh of relief, Quaetam opened his eyes.

“We’ve got to get moving. Those three are starting to pass beyond my range. If we wait, I’ll lose them.”

The Hierophant nodded to Ansem and Sahrimnir, and the three made to move for the mist, torches held aloft. As they began to fade from view, Quaetam turned once more, looking at the others,

“Remember, stick together, keep your torches lit, and don’t try anything unconventional. Requiem, don’t forget what I said on the boat,” Quaetam said, “And… good luck, everyone. Stay safe, guys.”

He turned, rejoining his two companions, and together the three faded into the mist, out of sight.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Spoiler:
Sorry this look a while. It’s quite lengthy. Av took the long way round to complete his Trial Razz

Though he asked me to tidy it up for him I didn’t want to just turn it into my post, so aside from some spelling/grammar corrections and polishing up the text in some points it’s largely what we RP’d between us.

Bonus: Now with music! Seriously guys you ever come across a track you think sounds good send it to me, I’m building a collection of them to use.

Caution: Violence Razz

Avalanche sprinted down the path, the sound of screaming getting louder as he ran. The path fell away before him and he skidded to a halt, staring aghast at the scene below.

He was standing on the rim of an immense crater, the edges jagged and littered with bones, spines trailing like vines across the walls, empty skulls staring downwards as though it were a gladiatorial arena. And there, in the centre of the arena, was the source of the bellowing roar.

It was a monstrous undead dragon. Its squat toadlike body was hunched to the ground, a rotting jumble of cracked bones and mummified flesh. Dried skin clung to its crumbling frame, splitting and peeling away as it moved. A bladed tail dragged behind, and from its shoulders rose a snakelike head and neck, lashing out with supernatural swiftness, and to his horror Avalanche saw fresh blood on its teeth and the source of the screaming.

He froze in fear as he took in the scene. Surrounding the dragon were his friends, and this fight had taken its toll. Omicron and Requiem were incapacitated, badly injured and barely moving. The others were trying to draw the dragon away but their attacks were ineffective, glancing off the rotten hide or simply ignored. Q was summoning ice at the dragon’s feet, freezing it in place in an attempt to halt its attacks. Things were definitely, definitely not looking good.

<Holy fucking shit, Sah you moron, you just had too didn't you, you git.> Thought Avalanche to himself <This is the worst fucking thing that could and would’ve happened cause you jinxed it!>

How had this situation got so out of hand so quickly?! Two people were already injured and in bad need of his healing. The dragon was struggling to free itself from the ice shackles, roaring and shaking itself as frost spread over its bones. <Alright, something is happening. If I can just…go…over…there…> The dragon howled, rather pissed off, and Av quailed <I can’t, I…no, I have to, they need me.>Gripping his staff Avalanche scrambled down the crater walls, sprinting towards the rest of the party.

Quaetam heard the noise of his descent and turned, his expression of relief turning into one of horror. He made to shout a warning when the dragon tore its rear limbs free of the ice, spinning its body and smashing its tail into the Hierophant, crushing him against the rock wall with a sickening crack. Quaetam’s warning died on his lips as he slumped to the floor, unmoving and still.

Avalanche’s eyes widened at seeing his friend getting smashed. He didn’t think the blow was fatal…at least he hoped to a deity he never prayed to that the blow hadn’t been. The dragon wasn’t taking any chances, raising its claws to deal a final strike to the prone Hierophant. Avalanche immediately raised his staff and a holy shield shimmered into existence between the two.

The dragon lashed out, its blow bouncing off the barrier. It screeched in frustration, clawing futilely at the invisible blockade. It was enough- the shield had bought enough time for Sahrimnir to reach Quaetam and begin to heal him. Avalanche allowed himself a sigh of relief; now they could attempt to get out of here and-

With a devastating roar the dragon reared up and smashed its head into the barrier, shattering it with such force the backlash blew Avalanche off his feet. Sah turned as the serpentine head lashed out, teeth fastening around one of his wings and ripping it off at the joint. Sah staggered, staring in surprise at the bloodied stump, thick torrents of crimson gushing from it. He raised a shaking hand to it in disbelief, then his eyes rolled back into his head and he collapsed into shock.

“JEGUS FUCK!” cried Avalanche, scrambling back to his feet. Again he summoned up the barriers, putting as many as he could between the dragon and the wounded pair. He yelled out to Minby “Minby! Get them out of here!”

Minby nodded and dashed over. Seeing what his friend was doing TD cast a lightning bolt at the dragon, the electricity searing away parts of its flesh. It roared and lumbered over to him, the distraction enough to allow Minby to the pair and Raya and Perry to circle around.

Avalanche kept his gaze focussed on the dragon, keeping close track of any limb that might lash out and cause harm, ready to cast another shield were necessary. “Snake, Camilla and anybody else feeling squishy get out! Fed! Help TD!"

“AV!” screamed Minby over the chaos “Sah’s bleeding out!” He was hunched over Sah’s unconscious form, hands and arms soaked with blood as he desperately attempted to staunch the flow from the torn mess that was left of his wing.

<Shitshitshit> “GET HIM HERE NOW!!” cried Avalanche, attempting to edge his way around the melee towards them. Though the rest of the party were doing their best to draw it away its tail and limbs were still lashing about. TD found himself backed against a rock wall and the dragon charged forward, snapping and biting. Avalanche instantly raised another barrier and the dragon stumbled against it, howling as it was blocked once again. TD grinned and turned to yell a thanks when the dragon reared up on its hind legs, a sickly green glow pulsating within its ribcage. It slammed back down on all fours, throwing its head forward and spewing out a thick green cloud of pestilence that surged around the shield and engulfed TD mid-shout. The smoke cleared to reveal TD seizuring on the floor, clawing madly at his throat and blood streaming from his eyes, ears and nose.

“Fuck fuck FUCK!” Avalanche tore his gaze away from TD to Minby dragging Sahrimnir away to Quaetam to TD again. Muttering a final ‘fuck’ under his breath he sprinted over to TD, intending to get him to safety “Come on. Come on, you'll be alright."

As he approached TD lunged for his arm, grabbing it in a deathgrip, and to his horror Avalanche saw that his eyes were milky white- the cloud had blinded him and he scrabbled against the white mage’s arm, gasping for breath as his throat filled with blood. Avalanche grabbed his staff when a shadow fell across him- he looked up to see the dragon’s foot raised above them, ready to crush them both- when from out of nowhere a faun doing a flying jumpkick smashed straight into his head.

The dragon was knocked off balance, staggering then crashing to the ground in a tangled heap. Avalanche wanted to express his immense gratitude for Perry deciding to appear in the nick of time but could not afford the luxury of doing so. Instead he dragged TD behind a shield and started to focus. . <Come on.....> He thought to himself. <I did this in Leknaat...I can cure illness.......How did I do this.....> He looked at the bloodied face of TD, still struggling to breathe, and pointed his staff at his chest, searching for any form of reaction whatsoever.

The white magic welled up inside him and he guided it outwards, coalescing in his staff and flowing into TD. His wounds began to heal, but such was their extent it was exhausting his mana. Combined with the shields he’d been casting his reserves were running dangerously low. His spell faltered but he clung on, gritting his teeth against the strain until TD was out of danger. He gasped in exhaustion and turned to survey the situation. The dragon was still rampaging about, occupied with the remaining party members who could still fight. Sahrimnir was still bleeding out, and Avalanche stumbled over to him to use his remaining energy. The poor guy may never fly again but he should at least be able to tell people he lost it fighting a fucking zombie dragon.

As he ran over to the paladin he heard a whooping, and looking over his shoulder stumbled in shock. Perry had buried his axe between the dragon’s eyesockets, still gripping the handle as the dragon screeched and thrashed in an attempt to dislodge him, the faun riding it as though he was in a rodeo. He saw Avalanche staring at him in disbelief and called out with a laugh.

“Hey Roy, don’t just stand there, you’re missing all the fu-“

The dragon smashed its head into the crater wall with enough force to shatter its skull, abruptly silencing the faun. It withdrew its head, its skull a broken mess, its jaw hanging slack and its braincase annihilated, nothing left save the damaged mass around an eyesocket. Perry’s limp body hit the floor beneath in a shower of bone.

With a crack Relmitos caught the dragon’s tail in his whip, giving it a yank that drew its attention. As it lumbered after the elf Avalanche balled his fist so tightly in frustration his nails pierced his skin and drew blood. Casting a despairing glance at Minby, still attempting to stop Sah bleeding out, he turned and dashed over to Perry.

He knew the attack had to have been immense to have taken Perry out, but it still didn’t prepare him for what he saw. The impact had crushed multiple bones, his limbs twisted in unnatural angles. Somewhere behind them he heard the dragon vomiting out more pestilence breath and the gargled scream of someone caught in the cloud.

Avalanche cried out helplessly seeing his friend like that. As much as he wanted to, he simply did not have the energy to heal him any longer...Ansem. Ansem had a weak healing spell didn't he? Perhaps he could...Avalanche turned around and saw Relm collapse, choking on his own blood and melted lungs. He was scared, so incredibly scared seeing the bloodied face of a companion and being unable to cure him. His legs buckled from under him and he sank to his knees, wanting to break down and cry. There was no way he could bring himself to sleep, even for a minute, to restore his energy, and the dragon's attacks were relentless. They had to get out fast. He couldn’t keep this up for much longer, and once he failed…

As he knelt there helplessly, wondering what to do, he heard a rumble and looked up to see the dragon towering over him. Its lower jaw was hanging by a thread, the single eye socket staring at him with pure malice. The green glow began in its chest, jaw flopping open, and he realised he was staring at his death. He could nothing but stare in mute horror as the smoke began to pour out- then something tackled him, barrelling aside as the breath hit where he had been moments before, engulfing Perry. He looked up at his saviour to see Raya, battered and breathing heavily.

"Av, are you alright?"

"We've got to get out of here," he gasped "I don't have enough mana to heal everyo-PERRY!"

The smoke cleared and revealed Perry, his broken body twisted in violent pain and gasping out his last. Unheeding of all else he scrambled to his feet and ran forward.

"AV, DON'T-"

THUNK

Something struck him with enough force to knock him flat, and something warm and wet began to drip on his face. He opened his eyes to find Raya above him, an expression of mute shock on her face. The tail blade of the dragon, originally aimed at him, was protruding from her chest, slick with the blood that had dripped off the bone and onto him. It withdrew with a terrible sucking noise and she slumped to the floor.

"No.....no.....no...no. no. no. no. no. no...." Avalanche muttered holding Raya as she bled out. He tried to force every last bit of energy to heal her, the wound closing just a little but not enough to make a difference. “Please don't....."

A horrible crunching noise came from behind him. Barely daring to look he hesitantly looked round. Before him was carnage. The rest of his friends lay broken across the crater, some no longer in one piece. A few weak cries told him some were still alive, but barely. But what was he to do? His mana was exhausted, he couldn’t heal them all. He couldn’t…

The dragon slowly turned towards him.

Avalanche felt completely paralyzed as the harbinger of death glared at him, his single eye fixated on him like predator observing a particularly easy prey. So this was how it was going to end; death by zombie dragon. He just prayed the dragon would stab him and not use the vomit thing again; that seemed so unnecessarily painful. The dragon continued staring at him, making a step in his direction. The ground actually shook underneath him.

<Damnit.......Never got to get out of this hellhole.>

Another step. The dragon rumbled in an unearthly manner. Avalanche was looking at it right in the eye.

<Never got to finish any fucking thing I start. >

Another step.

<Never got kissed in the pouring rain. >

Step. hate did that missing eyesocket remind him off?

<Never got to tell Raya that yes, I would like to try that again.....Proper. >

Another step. The dragon was practically in front of him. Was it really......Was this world really just fucking with him?

<Never got to find the gem belonging to that fucking dragon's eyesocket...........>

"MOTHERFUCK!"

Avalanche leapt to his feet and took off as his legs could carry him, back towards the dragon statue, searching his satchel for the gem he collected in Ashvald's mansion

"Av..."

A weak voice caused him to slow and look round despite himself. Raya lay on her back, caked in blood, reaching out a hand to him, imploring for him not to leave them. Avalanche felt his heart break at seeing her like that and for a moment he hesitated, but he hardened his resolve and fiercely gripped the gem in his grasp. He had to…he had to leave her like this. Considering the timing and the similarities, the dragon had to be connected with that statue. He forced a brave smile, hoping she could see him.

“I’ll only be a few seconds....." He said hoping his voice didn't crack the way he heard it crack. “I’ll come back for you immediately, I swear."

He didn’t get to see her reaction as a skeletal foot came smashing down between them, blocking her from view. The dragon leered down and the glow began in its chest again.

Avalanche turned and bolted, wishing he had Minby’s speed or Perry’s stamina as he cleared the crater walls and sprinted towards the statue. Behind him he could hear roaring as the dragon struggled to haul its bulk out of the crater in pursuit. He’d bought some time, but not for long. Panting exhaustedly he reached the statue, throwing his weight into it and sending it crashing to the floor again.

"Please....Please....Please fucking work."

He attempted to wedge the gem into one of the empty eye sockets. It was not the perfect fit he had hoped for and it took significant force to get it in. Eventually sticking it in place he stood back. Behind him came the shattering and the smashing of bone as the undead dragon approached.

Nothing.

Avalanche bit his lower lip frustrated and terrified as nothing that he did seemed to work to calm the beast. Avalanche grabbed the statue again, shook it, kicked it and looked down the path as the dragon approached. Perhaps some things were just meant to remain in the dirt, or lying on the ground

The dragon slowed as it approached, knowing the white mage had nowhere left to run. It towered high above him in all its terrible glory, the skin flaying off its bones, torn by the blows of his friends. Arrows peppered its hide, melted ice dripping on its bones, its tail blade slick with blood and its shattered skull leering down in preparation for the final strike.

And at that moment Avalanche knew it was the end, and the tears he’d been choking back finally began to fall. He had lost everything. His friends lay down in that crater, dead. Raya would still be there, waiting for him to return, clinging on to that last hope as she bled to death. But not just her…Perry…Fedaykin…Ansem…Sah…Requiem…He hadn’t been able to save them. He hadn’t been able to save anyone. This creature had taken everything from him. Everyone he had cared about. Every last hope this world had at stopping the darkness. There was nothing left.

…No. Not everything.

Avalanche slowly turned and faced the dragon. No, it hadn’t taken everything. There was still one thing left.

He was alive.

And Avalanche’s despair metamorphosed into a burning righteous anger. This thing, this creature of undeath, had stripped him of everything, had sent him through Hell, and now at the last he was not going to back down. The searing hatred of darkness welled inside him, filling his weary limbs with strength, every cell in his body alight as the mana surged within, and he raised his staff high.

The dragon lunged forward, fangs shrieking towards his fragile body, and Avalanche’s spell erupted.

“HOLY FIRE!!”

For a brief second Avalanche saw the dragon consumed in a blinding white light, its body disintegrating into nothingness with a scream, then his retinas burnt out and his world dissolved in a searing flash of light.

-----------------------

Avalanche cautiously opened one eye, then the other. He could see nothing but whiteness. For a terrifying moment he thought he was blind until his hand in front of his face proved otherwise. He looked around. He was standing in a white void that seemed to stretch away into infinity. He wasn’t entirely sure there was a floor beneath him; he appeared to be standing on some sort of plane, but there was nothing physical beneath his feet. It dawned on him that he must be dead and this must be…whatever form of afterlife it was. The realisation of that depressed him utterly, but he consoled himself that he’d blown himself up taking out a giant undead dragon with holy fire. That was a pretty metal way to go.

<Congratulations, little one. You made it. Eventually.>

Avalanche jumped and whirled to find a being standing behind him. It was the figure from the statue, except it towered over him. Its features were blurred and it hurt to focus for too long, yet he could detect a pair of piercing white eyes that stared down at him.

“What…what do you mean I made it?” asked Avalanche, gripping his staff defensively in front of him and taking a step backwards.

<Do not be afraid, little one. You are in no danger. You have completed your Trial, and thus I have come to grant you your Gift.>

“What are you talking about?” asked Avalanche “What Trial? What Gift?”

<The Beacon of Pride did not tell you?> asked the being. Seeing Avalanche’s puzzled expression it laughed gently <I suppose that is to be expected. I am a Guardian, tasked with judging those who deem themselves worthy to decide the fate of the world. My masters in their infinite wisdom bound me to this place, to watch and wait for the one who would make a stand against the darkness that threatens to overrun this world. And thus I sent you a Trial to see your true worth, to see that you were worthy of the Gift my masters entrusted me with. And you have succeeded.>

“That was all a test?!”

<Yes, it was. It was to->

The Guardian was cut short as Avalanche swung at it with his staff, the blow passing straight through the figure and making its image flicker.

“YOU SON OF A BITCH!” screamed Avalanche “I saw my friends DIE! You ripped them apart one by one just to give ME a TEST?!”

<Do not be afraid, your friends are unhurt. This test was for you alone. They are unharmed and unaware of what has occurred.>

“You made me watch,” spoke Avalanche, voice choked with a sob “You made me watch them die…and I couldn’t do anything to save them…”

<Little one…do you know why I made you suffer?>

Avalanche looked up. The Guardian was looking down at him, and despite its alien nature he could detect sympathy within it.

<You have one of the heaviest burdens of all. In your hands lies the power of life and death. And yet you cannot save everybody. You must learn to pass judgement, to choose who lives and who dies. And that is why I made you suffer. You had to be faced with the choice. You had to decide which of your friends you would heal and which you would leave to die.>

“But, but they all…”

<Sometimes you must choose to let them all die.> There was a sobering silence before the Guardian continued <Why did you leave them? You turned and ran. She begged you to stay and yet you left her and the others to their fates. Why?>

Avalanche looked down at his feet “I…I thought it was the right thing to do.”

<Why?>

“I couldn’t stop the dragon. I couldn’t heal all my friends. If I’d stayed, if I’d tried to heal them, it would have just hurt them over and over. I thought…I thought the statue was the answer. If I could do…something to the statue it would end all this.”

<Even though you knew that not all your friends would survive until your return?>

“…Yes. But if I could stop the dragon I could…” Avalanche’s voice dropped to a whisper with guilt “I could save the ones that were left.”

Warmth radiated from the Guardian <And that is why you succeeded, little one. You made the choice. You knew that to let some live you must let others die. It caused you agony but you knew in your heart that it was the right decision.

<You see little one, you are the Light. Light brings life to the world. It warms, it illuminates, it chases away fear and ignorance. But for there to be light there must also be darkness. The light does not always remain in the world. It must fade away into night. Though those left behind might cry out and be stripped of hope, it is necessary. For as those who are left in darkness, there are others who now see the dawning of a new day. And that is your task and your strength. You hold the power of life and death. Of light and darkness.>

“Nyeh.” Said Avalanche, confused and slightly embarrassed.

<You had to lose everything to discover your true strength. I have passed judgement and found you worthy, and I bestow upon you the Gift. I have said the light illuminates, but it also burns and sears, it blinds and it cleanses. I grant you the ability to pass your own judgement.>

The Guardian reached out and rested its hand on Avalanche’s head, and it was as if a lightning bolt shot through him. Every cell cracked with mana, instantly reenergising him and he jumped back startled. He held up his hand in protest and startled at the white flames coalescing around it. He shook his hand, dismissing the spell, and it dawned on him that was the spell he had used to destroy the dragon.

<Holy Fire. Use it wisely.> The Guardian cocked its head as though hearing something far away <Your friends are near. My task is complete and my time is over. You still have far to go, little one. But I believe in you. We all do.> The Guardian threw back its head and roared <THE BEACON OF LIGHT HAS BEEN LIT! >

Avalanche flung up his arms to protect himself as howling winds engulfed him, and the next thing he knew the world was dark around him. He lowered his arms and to his surprise found himself back in the dragon’s graveyard. The statue still stood, except now on its base shone two gems, one white, one green, and from within the eye sockets flickered two pale flames. He stood dumbfounded, trying to process all that had occurred.

“Roy! Ey snol, kom je nog of wat?"

Perry had rounded the corner, alive and well, and was calling out to him “Stop wandering off and get back here. We’re splitting up and you’re with me.”

Avalanche very nearly sprinted over and seized his friend in a fierce hug. He collected himself and went over as calmly as he could, wondering how the hell he was going to explain all this.

Last edited by Raya on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 pm

TD ran towards where he heard Snake's voice from. All around him, the mist pressed in. He couldn't see far in front of him- barely a foot or so. All around him was endless mist. Now and then he would catch a glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye. Things he couldn't quite make out. Things he didn't WANT to make out. All around him the empty mist pressed in. He ran faster. Trying to get to Snake. Trying to get away from everything he saw in the mist. Trying to find something out there. And then, in a flash, he saw it. A torch ahead of him, just floating there.

Slowing down and attempting to catch his breath, TD called out.

"Snake? Is that you? What happened? Why did you shout?"

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 am

Snake reappeared in front of Td and looked at him, puzzled. "How did you know I was here?" He asked. Td looked at him as if he were stupid and pointed at the torch. "Oh. Duh. Anyway, you guys might all want to check this out over here." Snake led Td over to the wall down the way and held his torch up. Both of them gaped for a few long seconds at the bloog and gore spread out across the wall in front of them. It looked fresh, and smelled fresher.

"Oh god" Td said, backing up a bit. "How long do you think that's been there? Have you heard anything? Seen anything?"

Snake shook his head. "No, and frankly I don't want to be the one who does. Where's the group?" He asked. Td shrugged.

"I don't know, people all went off their own ways, like they seem to do." Snake nodded solemnly and opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by a yell in the distance. Snake's eyes widened. "That sounded like Camilla!"

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:46 pm

Spoiler:
Everyone is shouting at me in Skype, so excuse the quality of this Razz

Raya’s group, consisting of Avalanche, Fedaykin, Perry, Requiem, Relmitos, Omicron and herself, made their way further into the dragon’s graveyard. They elected to move south, staying with the granite cliffs on their flank. They automatically adopted a defensive position as they walked: Raya, Fed and Omi at the front, Perry, Requiem and Relm at the rear and Avalanche the squishy white mage in the middle. With their weapons drawn they began their search, the oppressive atmosphere hushing them into silence.

Eventually they stopped in a place that could arguably be described as a clearing, an empty patch of ground surrounded by broken rocks and piles of bones. A temporary halt was called to rest and get their bearings. So far there had been no sign of anything else on the island. No footprints, no noise, nothing.

Requiem stood apart from the group, staring upwards at the unnaturally darkened sky. There was something about this place that was getting under his skin. Not just the necromantic energies that saturated this place, it was…the presence of the dead. Somewhere faintly he could detect presences, too weak to focus on. Which raised some disturbing questions. Were the spirits of the dragons still lingering in their graveyard? Or were the souls of those foolish enough to trespass in this place bound against their will here?

He shook his head and turned back to the rest of the group. Perry and Avalanche appeared to be in discussion. Raya was apart from everyone, picking over the bones again. With an amused sigh he wandered over.

“Still fossil hunting Raya?”

Raya looked up sheepishly, another skull in hand “Sorry, I know this is a serious situation, it’s just…this is all really interesting.”

“How so?”

She held up the dragon skull “Look at this, what does it tell you?”

“It’s an animal, it has sharp teeth so is probably a predator.” Requiem shrugged “It’s just a skull.”

“It’s more than just a skull Req. This piece of bone can tell you nearly everything about the creature it belonged to.” He looked sceptical and she continued “See the hole in the back of the skull? That’s where the spine joins, it tells you how the creature stood and walked. The position of the eyesockets tell you how it saw and hunted. The teeth tell you what it ate, even which species it consumed. The sutures tell you how old it was and how fast it grew. The decoration is how it fought and competed for mates. The jaw joint tells you what it evolved from and when. The patterns inside the braincase show how well it could smell and hear and move about. The lines on its nose tell you if it lived somewhere hot or cold, if it had whiskers or scales. The whole life of a creature is recorded in its skull.”

“Huh,” said Req “I didn’t realise you could get so much information from some old bones.”

“The dead tell us many stories Req,” said Raya with a smile “You just have to learn how to listen.”

Requiem made to reply when a shadow passed over his face and he swung his gauntlet up in Raya’s face, a fireball forming within, and she barely ducked as it blasted straight past her ear. Her exclamations were cut short by a shriek from behind, and she whirled to see exactly what Req had shot at. A man in robes tumbled down one of the bone piles, head ablaze, hitting the ground and dying with a spasm. Everyone stood stunned as Req stepped foward and kicked the dead man’s hand. A knife skittered out.

“I saw him sneaking up behind us. I doubt his intentions were good.”

Perry rolled the man over with his hoof. He was dressed in dark crimson robes and, aside from his charred and blackened skull, had obviously looked very much alive a few minutes ago. This certainly wasn’t a member of the undead.

“What’s going on?” asked Avalanche “Why would this guy be here?”

Raya picked up the knife the man had been carrying and held it up for all to see. The blade was made of dark rock, the handle and guard smelted into the shape of a curling dragon’s hand “Whatever the reason, I don’t think they’re honourable.”

Relmitos was looking nervously around them. His time spent as a thief had taught him well how important good hiding places were, how to conceal yourself from your prey and your hunters. And in this place they were surrounded by hiding places. More of this guy could be lurking anywhere.

“I think we should move.” He said “Before any more of them show up.”

Little persuasion was needed. Hiding the body beneath a pile of bones the group hurriedly moved on.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:50 pm

A bit confused by his friend's behaviour, Perry shrugged. The rest of the group was already moving and at the time they had no reason to lag behind.
"C'mon dude, we're gonna lose them."

Avalanche hurried to the rest of the group, a strange kind of relief written all over his face as he saw each individual member well and alive. He didn't seem too comfortable with having to leave the others to their own devices, but the logic wasn't something he could fight. He was just all too happy he could stick to Raya and Perry.
The group ventured through the graveyard mostly in silence, trying to map the place out a little bit. Perry did his best to keep his eye on Avalanche as he was behaving a little bit off and way too cheery for his usual demeanor. As soon as they found the clearing, the faun approached him.

"Oi, dude. What's gotten into you? What were you doing staring into space like that earlier.", He said a little more accusative than he had intended.
"Hmm?", Avalanche responded as if interupted in thought. "Oh nothing... You wouldn't believe me if I told you." His face grew slightly darker as he thoughht back of the hellish trial.
"Come on man, i know crazy shit happens around here. Just spill"

"Well okay, but you're not gonna believe me anyway.", The white mage started. It was probably only fair that he told the rest of the group anyway. "I was just going around the corner, because I thought I heard something... Something calling out to me. Turned out to be this big ass dragon statue."
"So one moment I'm standing there, being all dashing and astonishing, and the next moment I hear screaming. I run back and see the group being attacked by a giant skeletor dragon."
"What? There was no-"
, Perry interupted but Avalanche cut him short.
"I know. But what I saw was real to me. It was a living hell. The entire group tried to fight it but everyone just got knocked down and things ended up becoming worse and worse." Avalanche continued, his voice taking a more solemn turn.
"Wait, we fought a dragon? Did I kick it's ass?" Perry interupted again, excitement in his voice.
"Dude, you fucking rode it." Avalanche responded, slightly laughing at his goofy friend.
"Sweet."
"But then you kind of died."
He continued with a grim look.
"Not so sweet..."

"I couldn't save any of you all, and everyone just kept fucking dying on me."
the story continued as Avalanche's face grimaced and his voice started to crack. "I saw everyone die. You, Q, TD... Sah got his fucking wings ripped out. ANd I couldn't do a single fucking thing."
"Hey man, you alright?", Perry said as he saw Av clench his fist untill his knuckles turned white. It was as if it was all happening again in Avalanche's mind.
With a deep breath, the white mage collected himself and straightened up. He looked at Perry, who was being very much alive, and sighed. It wasn't real, he had to keep that in mind.
"So then I phoenix downed the fucker.", he said with a smug look on his face.
"Phoenix what?"
"Dude. Final fantasy?"
"Oh yeah, clouds with 7ft swords."
"Exactly."

"Anyway, turned out it was all a test. Next thing I know I'm in this shining white room with this huge guy talking to me about how I passed my trial and beacons being lit and shit."
Avalanche continued, still slightly fed up with the whole ordeal.
"Aw yeah man, dragon people are crazy.", Perry nodded in agreement.
"Wait, I didn't say it was a dragon person..."
"I know, but I kind of had the same ordeal, man."

"WHAT?! WHEN?!"
, Avalanche yelled.
"I don't know. Camp, few days back? Before the whole party shabang.", Perry dryly replied with a shrug.
"Why the fuck didn't you tell me? Hell, I could've used a heads up you know!" Avalanche said, almost exploding.
Perry laughed at his friend and slapped him on the back, slightly winding the small mage. "Haha, don't worry about it man. At least you got something sweet right?"
Avalanche sighed and frowned. Sometimes there was just no talking to Perry. "Yeah, I suppose. I have some kind of super charged spell I can use now. Smite thy unholy demon and what not."
"Nice. All I got is some kind of super hearing and the promise of more power yet to unlock"
, Perry said, adding a little drama to the end of the sentence by wiggling his hands and fingers.
"What do you mean, super hearing?"
"Well, I can basically hear everything I want to hear... miles away or right under my feet, no problem."
Perry said, right as he fiddled with his hearing, testing it out as he explained it. His ears wiggled in the process.
"So.... Everything, huh?", Avalanche repeated with a slight hesitant tone in his voice.
"EVERYTHING.", Perry stated extra clearly, tilting his head down to look at Avalanche from under his brow.
"heh... neat....", Avalanche responded, getting slightly embarrassed but not entirely sure why.

The two remained silent for a bit as they looked around the clearing. Req seemed to approach an overly zealous Raya digging through the bones and the others kind of lounged about for as far as they could see.
"So... what was your trial like?", Avalanche said, picking up the conversation.
"Oh man, don't even go there. I had to fight this crazy ass human version of myself wielding katanas and whatnot. All the while whilst hearing smacktalk from myself.", Perry said huffing. "Felt good to finally stand up for myself, however." With a smug smile, Perry bumped himself on the chest and made some kind of gangster sign with his hand. "Beacon of priiiiiiiiiide."
"Well thats just fucking swell. You get to hash things out with yourself, I get scarred for life by a dragon! This world sucks", Avalanche said exasperated.
"Hey, atleast they got the drag-part right!", Perry said laughing.
"Goddammit Per-."

Avalanche was about to utter what might have become his most used words, as he was rudely interrupted by loud shrieking coming from Raya's side of the clearing. Perry flinched and covered his ears for a moment before he got up and rushed over with the rest of the group.
The flaming robed man came tumbling off the bonehill, taking with him the fair share of skeletons and skulls. By the time he landed on the ground, he was already dead.
Frowning, Perry came closer and used his hoof to turn the man around. It's dark crimson robes and dagger, mixed with this setting instantly made Perry jump to a conclusion. "Necromancers...", he muttered.

With a quick turn around, he tweaked his ears, scanning for sounds of others hiding in the piles. Before he could speak, Relm already opened up and suggested to move.
"He's right, we're surrounded. We need to get moving as quickly as we can."

Readying his axe, Perry waited for the group to get moving in the same position as before, only more pressed together, with him falling in the back.

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Sahrimnir, Quaetam and Ansem were still searching for Snake, Camilla and TD in the direction that Q had pointed and the mist grew thicker. Even with Sah using his powers to light the way, it was difficult to see very far ahead. This didn’t prevent Sahrimnir from walking in a rather fast pace, though. They needed to catch up to the others and if he’d bump into a tree or something, he could take it.

Then suddenly something made him stop abruptly and he let out a frightened shriek.

“What the hell, Sah?” Ansem asked. “What was that about?”

“We almost walked off the cliff!” Sahrimnir replied.

“What cliff?” Quaetam asked.

Sahrimnir looked down again and where a few seconds ago, the ground had seemed very far away, the road now continued ahead in front of them. The ground was flat. The three continued, Sahrimnir somewhat more carefully than before.

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm

Fed was glad, that the group had heeded his advice and finally got going in two seperate parties. Not a moment too soon in the Lich's opinion, the aura of this wretched island weighed down more and more on his psyche and his inner defense. It almost felt like something out there wanted to wash his soul away into the bleak nothingness. He tried to stay sharp, but he was totally taken by surprise by Raya's shriek and the sudden smell of burnt flesh. How could they have been ambushed? Fedaykin had seen no living being not belonging to his friends ever since they left the ship behind.

Then, he saw them emerging from the ground, one by one in rapid succession. A horde of robed humans had managed to trap them in a circle. Also there was something wrong with the lifeforce of some of the attackers. Instead of the usual orange, they had traces of grey in them, some even pulsed from orange to black and back. Practicers of the Dark Arts. "Necromancers...", Perry muttered next to him. Not all of them, but still too many to fight on open field. Fed instinctivly fell back into his position, when the call for the escape was raised. It looked like Raya, Omi and Fed had to take the brunt of the first impact and punch a hole in their formation, so that everybody would get through. There wasn't much time to think. The Europeans accelerated, weapons drawn, while the archer slowed down a bit to get off more arrows from his trusty bow.

Swinging their blades and daggers, Raya and Fed managed hold off their opponents and make them struggle. They were obviously fanatical, eyes filled with crazed devotion and mad grins on their lips. There fanatism made them opponents not to be underestimated in melee, but they were at least evenly matched by the enhanced fighting skills of a pair of warriors, who trusted each other with their backs. Also you should never underestimate the effects an arrow can have over short distance.

The Zombie focused all his mental capabilities on the fight at hand. He hadn't faced Necromancers in combat yet, but he knew of the danger they posed to him...he felt it. In the back of his mind, Fedaykin felt an unseen forces pulling on strings. His Guardian Wraiths were on full alert, ready to banish any intruder foulish enough to enter their domain. A mistep here could very well make him lose control over himself and turn on his friends. Vigor burning inside, Fed fought on, slashing, pushing, punching. From out of nowhere, there was a scream behind him and a loud crack shortly after. Spinning around, the Lich saw a robed figure hanging in mid-air, a whip curled around his neck, before being yanked forcfully back, hitting the ground hard with a disgusting crunching noise. Fed exchanged a quick glance with his saviour, who just nodded and vanished into the next shadow.

The rest of the group had closed the distance. Seeing, that the enemy line was already struggling, Perry decided to deal the finishing blow. Using his massive frame, he charged past his comrades into the center, mowing down everything in his way. Raya and Fed were barely able to get out of the way, but kept enough cool to widen the gap for the rest of them to run through, while Omi and Requiem kept firing at the sides. A hail of arrows and fireballs slowed the horde of approaching necromancers, but didn't stop them.

Perry came to a halt on top of the trampled corpse belonging to one of the assailants. He turned around, scanning the battlefield behind him to see, if his comrades were able to deal with the onslaught. His sharp eyes could see something else too. A tall woman in a ornate robe, hood flipped back to reveal long, curly red hair, stared intensly at him. A wicked smile in her eyes, she formed words with her lips without saying them. Suddenly, in a swift movement, she pulled back her left sleeve and cut into her arm, blood spraying out of the wound. The same moment, a wet noise caught the Faun's attention, coming from below...from the corpse! Thinking fast, he lifted a leg and kicked the corpse away intot he woman's general direction. It violently exploded in mid-air, showering everyone and everything in its vicinity in gore and intestins. Perry swallowed hard.

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:34 pm

Zombies. It had to be motherfucking zombies. It was bad enough she had to deal with Fed's charming new form. Camilla despised, loathed zombies. Left 4 Dead was as close as she wanted to get to zombies. As much as she'd had fun joking about them actually being the Left 4 Dead cast, though, at crunch time, Camilla couldn't handle it.

At least, she assumed they were zombies or something. She was too busy screaming and frantically looking for a weapon, something, anything to defend herself with. All she had was a dagger, and a couple of knives. Nothing decent. She was going to die here, and it was all her fault for running off. Really, though, the group was insufferable. She needed to clear her head. On this island shrouded in some sort of magical fog, really.

Taking a step back, she found herself against a solid wall, hand brushing against something hard and odd feeling. Looking at it, she saw it was a dragon skull. She swallowed. An island full of dragons would've been awesome, but no, it was god damn zombies. "NO!" she screamed, brandishing the dagger before her with shaking hands. "Go away, go away..." she mumbled, shifting slightly. One of the ones before her stood wearing a red robe, the others were just plain old zombies, she guessed. Whatever they were, she was stuck here alone thanks to her own stupidity. Her body twitched and shifted uncomfortably, like it was going to change (although in to what, she didn't know - she couldn't think of anything and she was too scared to try anything much, anyway).

"I knew it, I'm useless and I'm going to die here. Oh God, Weldar, why did you have to die on me? I need your help," she whispered, frantically looking around for any sort of escape.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:15 pm

TD ran through the dark, and the mist, chasing the silhouette that was Snake. He ran as fast as he could, but Snake seemed to just get farther and farther away. TD looked to his side for a moment, desperately trying to see through the fog, but when he looked back, Snake's outline was gone.

He was alone.

Panic set in, now.

"Snake? You there? SNAKE?"

TD shouted into the mist, but there was no response.

There was no reaction.

The mist just hung in front of him.

Breathing heavily, TD tried to calm down.

Alright... I just got left behind... Probably because he's in better shape than me. I just need to figure out where he went, and where Camilla is... Aurora, do you have any ideas?

There was no response.

Aurora? AURORA?

There was nothing. Even in his head, there was nobody but himself.

Now the fear was really getting to him.

Not the fact that he was alone, on an island of dead things, with no proper protection from necrotic magic, though that was certainly a factor.

No, this was a far deeper fear.

This was the fact that somehow, some way, they had all managed to abandon him.

His friends...

His allies...

They were all gone.

He was alone.

They had supported him thus far, and then pulled out, only to watch him fall.

To watch his wings burn, and laugh as he sunk beneath the waves.

To-

No... this is not the time to think about this... I just... just gotta... just gotta clear my head... concentrate on getting out of here alive...

TD knelt down, his breath coming in ragged gasps.

He never was a runner.

He knew that, but right now he was really feeling that fact.

Gotta... prioritize... Focus on what I need to do right now... and what I can do after that...

He concentrated on the pain; on the stitch in his side. The pain was a sharp stabbing sort, directly under the ribcage. He often got it after running a lot.

He closed his eyes, tried to slow his breathing, tried to make the stitch in his side go away.

And then... TD felt a hand on his shoulder and nearly fell over in shock.

"Come ON man! Camilla's out there screaming! There's no time to take a nap!"

TD opened his eyes.

Snake was there.

Are you alright? You went... for lack of a better word, blank... there for a second. I couldn't hear any of your thoughts, or feel any of your emotions.

Aurora was back too.

Everything was back.

The mist seemed... thinner, somehow.

Thinner than it was before, when he was chasing Snake earlier.

Thinner than when he was alone.

TD stood up, and turned to Snake.

"Sorry... Just had to catch my breath..."

"COME ON!" Snake shouted, and took off again.

Ignoring the pain in his side, TD followed behind him once again, staying closer than he had before.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top