Gaming News

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gaming News

Post  Vivian Vex on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:53 am

I realized that we really do not have a thread dedicated to gaming news. Well we have one now.

I found this pretty cool entry online today where in the UK politicians and gamers voice members (People who are trying to get more recognized by the government and mainstream media) are going to have a meeting on Jan 12th.

The full article.

Spoiler:
"UK-based Pro-gamer consumer lobby group Gamers' Voice plan to hold a special event with members of parliament and video game industry representatives at the House of Commons. The group says that politicians from all parties have been invited to come and play video games with Gamers' Voice members.

The group claims that at least fifteen MPs have confirmed attendance to this event including John Whittingdale (Co-chairman of the All Party Group on the Computer and Video Games Industry and is also chairman of the House of Commons Select Committee on Culture, Media and Sport); Ed Vaizey (Minister for Culture, Communications and Creative Industries and a key voice within the coalition Government promoting the UK video game industry); Luciana Berger (Member of Parliament for Liverpool Wavertree); and Ian Davidson (Chairman of the Scottish Affairs Committee).

The event is scheduled for Wednesday, January 12 in the Macmillan room, Portcullis House.

Gamers' Voice is an independent group representing video and computer gamers in the UK. The group's mission statement is have the voices of gamers heard in the government and mainstream media."

http://gamepolitics.com/2011/01/05/gamers039-voice-plans-uk-pm-get-together

And to add more to this opening post.

This next one sounds fucking amazing. A school in D.C. where they implement many gaming themes. While this is similar to another one that used EXP as grades and stuff like that. This school teaches stuff like 3D, Animation, Programming.

Spoiler:
A school in Washington D.C. shut down in 1996 due to declining enrollment and on-campus violence has made a comeback. in 2002 the school re-opened and ever since that time administrators have had to think outside the box when it comes to education. The Mckinley Technology High School in Washington, D.C., has re-invented itself mostly by embracing a unique approach to its curriculum: video games and simulations.

Computer simulations have played a major role in education at this school. Teachers and administrators want to graduate creators, not consumers:

""We want our students not to be consumers of simulation technology but designers of simulation technology," said Daniel Gohl, the school's former principal. "By bringing the students and technologies together we are able to ensure that the kids see connections beyond just the standard written text or the math problem; to see why math feeds into video game design; how algebra, physics and geometry are part of what must be considered when trying to design an engaging and interactive experience."

Students gobble up the class material too:

"Just the energy at McKinley is so different. It makes you want to learn. They teach us programming and animation and 3-D modeling and things like that and it's really exciting," said student Ciarra Belle.

A school that encourages creating and playing games can work according to administrators. It also teaches the importance of literacy, mathematics and science, which are important to the future success of students who want to compete in a workforce that is global."
http://gamepolitics.com/2011/01/04/coolest-school-america

Last edited by Viero on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 3 times in total

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gaming News

Post  Warchamp7 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:04 pm

Gameing doesn't have an E in it

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:26 pm

I wanna live in D.C. Now...

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Thank you for pointing out that typo. Had to rush to get to class when I posted it so I missed it.

I am right there with you TD lol I would LOVE to be going to that school.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Best. School. Ever.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:29 pm

make sure you link to the article plis so i know you aren't full of shit

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Very well. Edited the OP.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:55 am

Sponsored content