The Minecraft Thread

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Minecraft Thread

Post  Quaetam on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:19 pm

I've noticed a lot of people playing this game more and more between people talking about it and War's Team Avo shenanigans, and I myself have come to enjoy it, when I can find the time among everything else I'm doing.

For those of you not in the know, Minecraft is a sandbox survival game with literally infinite resources at your disposal to harvest and build from. You delve deep into the earth in search of rare minerals, you hole up at night to survive attacks from vicious monsters, and you lavish in the low-res, blocky beauty of the landscape, building whatever you want, wherever you want.

It currently costs about 20 American dollars, so it's pretty cheap, and buying it now in beta phase guarantees you access to all updates from now on. I myself still have the beta 1.1 version since, like Omicron, mine is bootlegged, but I plan on buying it ASAP. It's a great game to have and a fun experience overall, but I'd like to have it legitimately.

Share tales of your exploits here, pictures of your projects, whatever feels fit.

Right now, here's a brief tour of my creations. I've got a rather huge underground cave system and several other widespread interconnected rooms of my base, but these are the main ones:

(image heavy)

Spoiler:

Here is my spawn point. I've build a small fort around it to house a minecart booster capable of carrying me the couple hundred blocks to my base.

A view of my spawn point from the distance during the minecart ride out.

Two photos of the minecart ride. Almost not visible in the first is a small base I created while making the minecart track. It's basically just a small hut with a spiral staircase downwards, nothing special. The latter pic grants you a full view of my mountain fortress on the approach. To the left of the tracks, along the cliffface that is my base, you may notice I've got a 3x3 stack of cobblestone ascending up a ways. I intend to create an observation room in the cliffside at the top of that, complete with windows, maybe a jukebox, and makeshift chairs. It's about to become under construction.

Inside we have the antechamber to my base, which is essentially a large room with a 3x3 stack of cobblestone up the middle containing my central laddershaft. Pictured here you can see my chests with all my various loot. Near the back chests is a staircase spiraling down briefly into the basement room.

Shot's a little messed up-didn't copypaste well Razz Here's an entrance to the central laddershaft, and another angle at my central antechamber. The stairs directly in front of the player's position lead to an exit that can take you to my tree house :3.

Outside and at a lower level is my forest. You might notice the torches near the middle of the screenshot?

They're there for a reason. I found this pit by accident once and fell into it, somehow surviving. Imagine my surprise. I ended up digging to here from laddershaft level 4 (mentioned below), and from a ways above that, but also from this one cave that I've got entrances to everywhere. Hence, three doors leading here. There's another adjacent pit that also accesses the massive cave.

Shot may be blocked a little by the cursor, but this is the laddershaft, which connects every major part of my base, and goes from where I stand at the bedrock layer all the way to the top of the tower, only five blocks below the top of the map (those five used for a lighthouse-esque roof).

For levels, we have
1: Bedrock strip mine that was an unmitigated failure (it's surrounded on all sides by lava lakes a few blocks deep).

2, 3: Entrances to a massive cave that surrounds my base. I managed to stumble into a different part of it later, creating the lower entrance (entrance 2)

4: A midway entrance about twenty-thirty blocks underground that has a passageway leading about a hundred blocks away to another cave I've been exploring.

5: The central chamber.

This connects to that same cave as levels 2 and 3, just about forty blocks up from entrance 2 and another 15 from entrance 3. The cave entrance is down the path to the right and down a short room. The cave literally winds about a quarter of the way around my base and can be accessed from quite a few areas. The central chamber also has a storage room (the small tunnel near the left) and two surface entrances up a small two block high staircase you can't see from this angle off to the left, as well as a short ~25 block tunnel to another one near my main entrance by the minecart tracks in that same direction. I barely use this furnace and workbench but they're here.

6: The basement.

Located directly below the antechamber (like one block apart, I originally mined it out when I found coal and iron there early on and then made it into a separate room), this is connected via the laddershaft and a couple staircases, one of which emerges right near my chests, and has two back doors. One you see in this screenshot, the other is actually below where I'm standing and about five blocks ahead, and emerges right at ground level outside near the minecart tracks, useful if I'm going home at night and being chased at low health. Behind me in this picture is the room itself, which is really nothing special, just an open space that used to be filled with coal and iron.

7. The antechamber. Shown a while above, this has all my central storage, though there is some in the central chamber and the tower, as well as far out on a midway point of the minecart tracks. The antechamber has a spiral staircase descending to the central chamber, as well as an entrance that leads right out next to a treehouse I built.

8. Exit to the minecart booster system, really not sure why I made this door.

9. Exit to the still-under-construction observation deck. I'll post pics when I finish it.

10. The tower. Every few levels here the ladder connects directly into another room. The first room simply has an exit to the lowest balcony, which in turn has the outer door and a staircase down to the roof of the treehouse, the second has storage, and the rest are smaller, purely for views and aesthetics. The ladder continues to the top, where you can get some pretty awesome views:

Now, some other fun pictures:

This is why cave exploration is never safe. Ever.

OHAI CREEPER :3

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Minecraft Thread

Post  Omicron Austin on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Wow Q, that's a pretty pimpin' base. (Oh, and I bought Minecraft a week or two ago ^_-).

I really should, but in my primary file, I really didn't do much cool stuff with my base. It's just this little hole in a mountainside with a few chests in it, a staircase down to bedrock, and a staircase to the top of the mountain (and it's a pretty small mountain). Outside there's some poorly organized farms, a cactus farm, and a reed farm. And inside my base is a nether portal.

I've done cool stuff online or in community files with friends (like an awesome floating air-fortress with a water elevator to reach it), but not on my own.

I guess I DID build a pretty cool looking castle, but I don't know what to put inside! Maybe I'll post a picture of it for you guys later and get some ideas.

EDIT: Oh yeah. If you've got a good computer like mine that can run Minecraft pretty easily, then I suggest you try this out. http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=55700

It's rather easy to install, and it makes it look a lot better, I think, without using HD textures or anything (because every texture pack I've seen just isn't that great).

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:03 am

Really nice fortresssssssssss, Q Razz

You should add the Quaetcave with a huge Q-sign in it!

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 am

Fedaykin wrote:Really nice fortresssssssssss, Q Razz

You should add the Quaetcave with a huge Q-sign in it!

Make it out of Netherrack or Wood, too, and then light it on fire.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:30 pm

If someone griefs you with lava, that laddershaft thing is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm

td260 wrote:If someone griefs you with lava, that laddershaft thing is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

True words indeed *eyes Warchamp suspiciously* though this is a private world and I can't play online anyways so that isn't an issue Razz

As for the Quaetcave, excellent idea, though seriously it would have to be more secretive than that :3. This gives me a good idea of what to name my planned deathtrap labyrinth thing though.....

Once the Grand Brawl post is up, I'll resume work on the observation tower and post some more pics.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Warchamp7 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm

This guy is next, just finished drawing him myself using someone's bead sprite as a reference

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:14 pm

That, sir, is a work of art. Awesome.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Warchamp7 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:25 am

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:44 am

I have some awesome stuff planned to show you guys very soon. Something that is pretty awesome if everything goes the way that I would want it to turn out.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawkeye16 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Thought about playing this game, looked kinda hard though.

Hawkeye16
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Hawkeye16 wrote:Thought about playing this game, looked kinda hard though.

How so?

It surely isn't DIFFICULT, if that's what you mean. Time-consuming, yes.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Last night I played on a server with Suicide and another friend. I made a skull fortress with lava coming from the eyes and killed Suicide 2 times in a non pvp server. XD Knocking people off by suddenly teleporting to them is fun. XD

(The 2nd time he teleported to me and knocked both of us off. lol)

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:01 pm

I thought of an awesome idea for a house- Like, underwater, with a glass roof, so water above you, and then lava beneath you under a glass floor.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:07 am

td260 wrote:I thought of an awesome idea for a house- Like, underwater, with a glass roof, so water above you, and then lava beneath you under a glass floor.

GEE, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:34 am

I think that is a good idea and sounds cool, if it is in single player and he is very careful.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SuicideAngel on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Btw Ya'll The Painterly Pack improves so much on teh vanilla texture pack it's not funny. It also offers a LOT of customization - if you want to make one be sure to have 10-15 minutes free. Some of the options are broken due to MC updates tho (Watch, compass, biome-compliant shading, redstone wire, and multisurface iron/gold/diamond blocks) but even those are improvements. (To get around the multisurfaced oreblocks, just choose an option that looks teh same on all sides, and redstone wire defaults to traditional redstone trails. Watch and compass are unaffected by anything and so remain vanilla. And just don't choose biome-compliance >_<)

And everyone is free to hop on my server - it runs in offline mode so even Q can play =) All I ask is you add me on Steam so I can message you the IP on that, since it's my personal IP ._.

SuicideAngel
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Wooo! More people to play with on the server. Smile And Suicide finally found his way into the game thread. lol

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SuicideAngel on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:15 pm

It's strange and frightening and smells strangely like mountain dew and cheetos D:

I'm home :3

SuicideAngel
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:57 pm

I find I prefer the original texture set over anything else. Painterly had one or two neat textures to pick, but overall...I just didn't like its look.

Namely chests and workbenches. Hated all of them.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:02 am

Omicron, we know you have minecraft. Get in our server now or we will shun you from the world!

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:31 am

If I've got time, I might show up, but I've been busy lately again. Not enough to procrastinate a little and check on the forums, but enough for me to know Minecraft is a bad idea at the moment.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SuicideAngel on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:55 am

With Redstone wire textures semibroken atm I feel you on that =/ chunky redstone just looks weird. But I thought overall it was an improvement.

SuicideAngel
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Uh, I just got Minecraft.

I was playing PERFECTLY NICELY. I Had built myself a nice floating castle and was exploring to see what eveyone else had made (It was a free build server).

Well, out of nowhere this dick "winner87956" BANS me! I didn't do anything!

Gah! Is there a precedent to being banned unjustly? I was even kicked, just went straight to ban for no reason.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SuicideAngel on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 pm

I'd say a hacker with a name like that. Sucks, but there will always be more servers lol

SuicideAngel
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:22 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top