Root, Shoot, and Reboot

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Root, Shoot, and Reboot

Post  Smashy B on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:52 am

I thought this might be kinda fun. In this thread we discuss on pretty much any games we feel like, but pertain to a certain theme. The theme is a play off of the Marry, Boff, Kill game. If you're not familiar, it's a game where you are given a choice of say three men or women, and you decide who you'd marry, boff, or kill.

In this case, it's with games, and with that I'm not giving you a set three. Simply say what games or franchises you'd like to rebooted, as in revive or taken in a new direction, shoot (self explanatory), or rooted. Root games are ones that you like the way they are and want more of it. Some improvements may be necessary, but not an overhaul.

For example,

Root: Dragon Age. Yeah, I'm kinda obsessed with it. They could have not made as much improvements as they and I'd still be excited. So I guess for the sake of argument, let's pretend that they aren't/didn't and the release of the sequel is right around the corner.

Shoot: Final Fantasy. Okay, so I never played a FF game, so you can say that my opinion doesn't mean anything. Personally, I think jrpg's are dated, as in they don't really bring anything new. And from how the last two FF's were received, it may be it's time to stop for now.

Reboot: F-Zero. Had GX for the game cube. It's a fun racing game, it'd be cool to bring back Captain Falcon and the high speed racing. I liked it a lot, and I'm not big on the racing genre. (Edit: Now that I think of it, this could almost go under root, but given how long it's been... maybe give it to Retro to do something new.)

And there you go. Those are just three that I thought of, but there can and very well be more. So post yours. Reasons aren't necessary, and it's all your opinion, so you really can't be wrong, but feel free to agree or disagree. (I kinda have a feeling what the general consensus for shoot might be.)

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Root, Shoot, and Reboot

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:44 am

Kill: Darlfalco. She is a theatre person. She would have a dramatic death

Fuck: Camilla. She would be great, I mean with all that cake...

Marry: Raya, shes british,m come on.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:47 am

Snake, that's one.

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:48 am

One what? pPoint for gryfindor?

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:47 am

Spoiler:

Kill: Snake; no more worries from the eloe cause Feday is easily bribed with a dimebag and beer
Fuck: Raya; hey, british and stuff.
Marry: Do I have to marry?

aaah lulz

Root: Super Smash Brothers. Really hope there will be more characters in the next one. So much potential in this series.
(fire emblem being a close second cause radiant dawn and shadow dragon had me a lil disappoint)

Shoot; Final Fantasy. Getting more absurb with each passing entry and generally overrated.
Kingdom hearts being a close second, having made such a complete mess of its originally simple story.

Reboot: Star Fox has so much potential. I want to see it realized.
Metroid as close second. Cause A) Samus is awesome, B) Metroid Trilogy was awesome.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:09 am

Ooo, yes, I have to agree with the reboot of StarFox. That one could do well with an overhauld in the hands of the right developer.

Fire Emblem wise, I kinda want them to just do a whole new story altogether and not another remake. Shadow dragon left me disappoint cause it lacked in magic classes and in overall game mechanics. Radiant Dawn is probably my favorite FE because of all the FEs because of the extra stuff (skills, 3rd tiers, even the story when it didn't seem like it was overdoing it at times). So for me, either that, or harken back to FE7, which was more simpler, but still awesome (side quests are a huge plus).

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:06 am

Root: Legend of zelda. I don't want fancy crap, I want zelda god dammit.
((Golden sun too, I want MORE camelot. MORE.)
Shoot: Final Fantasy. Anything that goes on for 14 games is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Just... Just let the poor thing die.

Reboot: The little known "Boktai" series. Though, they already got a reboot in Lunar Knowghts, nobody has played that either. They need another one.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

All my opinions, so...

Post  nn8n on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:21 am

Root: Phantasy Star Online/Universe, I love the interaction between people online and their system where you have to actually dodge or move is more fun; rather then a point/click or pick from a menu. The new Online one is on the way!

Shoot: Any Call of Duty/Metal of Honor, I've always been annoyed by war sims. They are so blocky and don't have a good feel to them.

Reboot: Contra, side scrolling only for the win! (I know they have recent GB versions, I just haven't tried them)

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:53 am

Root: Megaman. Need to go back to the games like Megaman X (If for whatever reason they make another one) or Mega man Legends. Do not like the direction they took with Battle Network.

Shoot: Dynasty Warriors. Never cared for their games.

Reboot: Legend of Dragoon. Might not be the best squeal to a game. But as a game itself. If it would be as good as the first. I would fucking love to play it.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:02 am

I actually quite enjoyed battle network. It was a good series in it's own right. A solid RPG for most of them, though 4 sucked.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 am

Root: Legend of Zelda. There's never been one I've played that I haven't liked, at least a little. I know there's the Phillips CD-I series, but those hardly count. The Zelda franchise has been rock solid for as far back as I can remember and I want it to stay that way.

Shoot: Sports games. Never liked them, never will. 'Nuff said.

Reboot: FINAL FANTASY!!!! I'm appaled that this has been on so many people's shoot list. Final Fantasy back in the day was the best series there was. I still think that Final Fantasy VI was the best game ever made. And don't say that they've had so many titles that they should stop. Mario has had at LEAST like, 40 games, and Mario is constrained to one cast of characters with a set mythos (Kinda). Every Final Fantasy game takes place in a different universe with a new cast of characters and a new battle system. Final Fantasy can still redeem itself, it just needs to get WAY far away from Sony's mindset of "Graphics > Content".

....Now that I think about it, also Shoot: Final Fantasy XI, XIV. These should never be MMOs.

Last edited by TheTJ on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:25 am

I stopped caring for FF awhile ago. Just for the games them self and for the reason the hype of final fantasy killed Legend of Dragoons chance for another game for it. Which I personally think it is better then FF. Characters, Story, Music, battle system. Loved all of it. And I really suggest people checking it out.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Just an opinion again...

Post  nn8n on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 am

EXTRA SHOT: Legend of Dragoon was an absolute boring game. The characters where 1 dimensional, the story was horrible, and the battle system was the worst gimmick I've ever encountered.

Reboot: I loved Dynasty Warriors, pre-6. 2 - 5 where excellent and these have occupied my life for numbers of years.

Agrees on Shoot/Root: Final Fantasy is fun, but they did not need MMORPGs, or be linear like XIII.

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:41 am

Root: Mario! Mario games are always outstanding quality (core games, not speaking for Mario sports.) The last two, Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros Wii, were both outstanding and tons of fun. I've never been disappointed with a Mario game, though I think they could stand to push the difficulty a bit harder, I would root this series on.

Shoot: Call of Duty, not that it's a bad game, but I would eliminate it if it meant getting rid of the fan community, which is imo one of if not the worst in online gaming.

Then again, it wouldn't matter though, since they would probably just latch onto whatever other accessible FPS game with QuIkScOpEz stepped up to fill the void, so I'll shoot Fire Emblem to spite smash for shooting Final Fantasy. :B

Reboot: SSX. Sports games get a bad reputation amongst gaming enthusiasts, and it pains me to see games that don't really push the boundaries and focus on being simulators do well, while innovative games like these have to shake up their images, often at the expense of their original fun/charm, in order to compete. I almost put THPS on this list, but then I remembered they DID reboot this series, and it still didn't work. The dark turn for THPS was when it stopped being about skateboarding and started being about wacky pranks (which is probably Bam Margera's fault, but whatever, he was popular at the time and they just wanted their games to sell.) The reboot was too little too late for a dieing series. It pains me to see SSX possibly going down the same road with the new game, but I'll wait until I see actual gameplay before I decide (as a hint, the more things they add that aren't snowboarding, the worse off it'll be)

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:47 pm

Shoot: Avalanche for that remark on Kingdom Hearts! It was never simple! It is beautiful!
Anyway, for reals, CoD. Never liked it, just a series of shooting people in close combat environments.

Reboot: FF. Theres just no more gameplay in it, my advice: Make it a hack 'n slash/shooter, actual combat RPG. And less cinematics.

Root: Kingdom Hearts. Noone touch it. NO ONE!

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:47 pm

AvosMeLardo wrote:EXTRA SHOT: Legend of Dragoon was an absolute boring game. The characters where 1 dimensional, the story was horrible, and the battle system was the worst gimmick I've ever encountered.

I must ask. How far did you get into it.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:54 pm

Yeah, I'll have to add Call of Duty to my shoot list. More personal reasons, but yeah. xD

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Been a long time

Post  nn8n on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I got to a part I believe that the characters could finally turn 'Dragoon', but I was so annoyed at the main character being a generic, "I'll hit on anything that has engorged breast" I couldn't get into it. Not to mention the timing for the battles extra hit mode made it frustrating also

If it turns around and the characters actually gain a personality, then maybe I could reconsider looking at it again. I'm not opposed to trudging through things if it gets better, but it's not worth picking up if it stays the same ol' same ol'...

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:12 pm

That is at the start of the game, how can you say the story was horrible when you literary have not even seen it? Along with the characters personalities? As for the battle system. Just because you find it hard does not make it bad.

EDIT: Where did you get the idea that Dart was a guy who chases women with big boobs? That is 100% backwards. Dart sees her as a sister and does not want a love relationship with her.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nn8n on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:48 pm

Like I was saying, it was a long time ago, well when it came out. If I am mixing things up then I suppose I can get it again to try and give it a second shot. All I remember was I couldn't get into it and even if it wasn't the main, there was at least someone in it that had that personality.

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:08 pm

There is one person, but it is far from where you were. And even then he does not do it much and is more for comedic relief, though do not get me wrong he does have a personality. You might be thinking of just a minor character near the start.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:12 pm

straying from the subject people Razz

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Gah, sorry. To make up for it.

Root: Star Fox, I am talking about stuff like star fox adventure. I prefer the Star fox 64 style.

Shoot: Naruto games. Maybe it is just my hatred for Naruto that is influencing it. But I really do not care for the Naruto games I played some and seen the review/videos I seen of other games. Not my kind of game.

Reboot: Brain Lord, Oh my god I LOVED this game. Not to mention it was one of the first games I remember playing on the Super Nintendo and the first game I remember my dad playing. (He has only played like 4 games I know of). I really suggest you guys checking it out if you can.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:38 pm

I would also like to say, on slightly more obscure notes:

Root: Just Dance. IT'S WAY TOO MUCH FUN HOLY CRAP.

Shoot: Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds Wheelie Breakers. Just....just don't ask.
(CARDGAMES ON MOTORCYCLES whaaaat)

Reboot: I would so play Logical Journey of the Zoombinis again.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:57 am

Root: Rachet and Clank. The games are some of my favorite and aside from some changes that can be implemented, I love the formula that is the basis of R&C; an action shooter, humorous character, lots of guns. Up Your Arsenal is my favorite.

Shoot: Mortal Kombat. Take away the fatalities and the blood and pits of death and what do you have? A lackluster fighting game. Am I wrong here?

Reboot: Resident Evil. RE4 was awesome, no doubt, but 5 was meh. Maybe the series should go back to explore its roots in being a horror game.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:00 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top