Post  DRTJR on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:48 am

An oldie but a goodie

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Discussion.

Post  Eiron on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:41 pm

Something that just occurred to me: in the E3 boss fight demo, Ghirahim claims that he summoned that giant tornado in order to capture Zelda, but a servant of the Goddesses snatched her away. I guess that would be the giant whale thing from the trailer.

Also, don't know if anyone's seen this impressive bit of official artwork yet.

Last edited by Eiron on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:49 pm

I keep seeing a slight hint of Vaati in his design. Maybe it was influenced somewhat by Vaati.

Also, that in no way means I am saying that he is Vaati, im just saying I see a slight design similarity. But there are a lot of differences too.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:55 pm

I will say that that artwork certainly makes Ghirahim look at least a little less silly.

And yeah I see where you're coming from on that Vaati similarity, what with the hair and the pale, elfin face, among other things. Though I too must stress that I don't think he is actually Vaati.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Why does this guy remind me of Kefka?
I'm liking him already.

Also, that giant whale thing? Please be Wind Fish.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Quaetam wrote:I will say that that artwork certainly makes Ghirahim look at least a little less silly.

Personally I would absolutely love him being more silly and just wanting to fuck around with people. For what ever reason I find that to be more threatening then just the standard villain of "I will kill you and everyone else here!" as opposed to "Let's play a game, shall we? I have grown quite bored of fighting with your friends." I find that to be much more entertaining and frightening. As it is one of if not my most favorite type of villain.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:07 pm

The Zelda wiki says that one of his ears is pointed like an elf, while the other is rounded like a human. Make of that what you will.

I also kind of like a goofier villain.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:09 pm

If the art style was just a bit better. I would so make that my Display Picture. In fact I am going to look for a GIF of it right now.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:11 pm

I don't think a silly villain would work for Zelda as well.......A world is at stake, the villain must pose a threat, intimidate, etc. A psychotic villain could work, but I'm not sure how that would work in the Zelda setting.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:15 pm

Viero wrote:
Quaetam wrote:I will say that that artwork certainly makes Ghirahim look at least a little less silly.

Personally I would absolutely love him being more silly and just wanting to fuck around with people. For what ever reason I find that to be more threatening then just the standard villain of "I will kill you and everyone else here!" as opposed to "Let's play a game, shall we? I have grown quite bored of fighting with your friends." I find that to be much more entertaining and frightening. As it is one of if not my most favorite type of villain.

Personally I would rather they make a funny villain, Not a manipulative one. Both the standard villain and manipulative villain can grow tiresome.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:20 pm

A villain does not need to be all serious like. look at Porky from Mother 3.

Spoiler:
He came so close to ending the world because he was bored. The ONLY reason he wanted to end the world was because he was bored. He saw the world as a play thing and was really just a kid at heart. He was a old man when you fight him because of time travel he used to take over the world. He is not that intimidating (and even sees as fighting you at the end just another game) and yet to a lot of people he is one of the best villains there is.

So ya, a villain can no doubt pose a threat without having to be intimidating.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:53 pm

A Kefka-esqe villain would be funny, if you ask me. "THERE'S SAND ON MY BOOTS! CLEAN THEM!!" and they're in the middle of the desert. Oh Kefka.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Viero wrote: A villain does not need to be all serious like. look at Porky from Mother 3.

Spoiler:
He came so close to ending the world because he was bored. The ONLY reason he wanted to end the world was because he was bored. He saw the world as a play thing and was really just a kid at heart. He was a old man when you fight him because of time travel he used to take over the world. He is not that intimidating (and even sees as fighting you at the end just another game) and yet to a lot of people he is one of the best villains there is.

So ya, a villain can no doubt pose a threat without having to be intimidating.

Goofier villains can be okay, yes, but I just don't feel he was handled well, and a silly villain would have to be, as Avalanche said, more of the psychotic type to have a chance of fitting Zelda. I love Manipulative Bastards, sure, but I'm willing to see something different. The problem here is that Girahim just seems... ...out of place. The vibe I got from his first battle, just screwing with Link as it's been put, is that he just didn't look like a threat, wasn't to be taken seriously, and also wasn't very funny. More just odd and kinda eh. I just feel that some main antagonists, be it in a story, in a game, in a movie, whatever, truly feel like main antagonists. Take The Joker. He's a combination of the manipulator, the funny guy, and the psycho villain. And he is awesome. Porky I have indeed also heard works. Here Girahim just kind of feels like he lacks that main-baddie vibe, I guess. The problem is less that he's silly per se than that he just doesn't feel in any way like a threat or like a main villain from the video presented.

One major reason could be that that wasn't truly a curbstomp battle: Were it one he'd basically destroy you and leave you there to die, not get hurt more than you do, retreat, and say 'you're lucky I'm not taking you seriously'. While the latter scenario still does imply he was just fucking around, it lacks the respect that a curbstomp battle gives you for the main villain and really just kinda feels less than awesome. That was my impression anyways, I have no problem if yours differ of course, and like I said I'm certainly willing to give it a shot as it could well be awesome. I'm merely documenting my first impression.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Ya, I see where you are coming from. But I guess the threat comes in the battle when he grabs Links sword and can possibly take it away and use it on you. Which is really the only person who could do so. Not even Ganondorf can do that. Just pointing it out, not sure if you considered that part or not. But I think that is worth noting.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Viero wrote:Ya, I see where you are coming from. But I guess the threat comes in the battle when he grabs Links sword and can possibly take it away and use it on you. Which is really the only person who could do so. Not even Ganondorf can do that. Just pointing it out, not sure if you considered that part or not. But I think that is worth noting.

I did consider it. Seeing Link basically beat up on the guy while he threatens to take the sword away doesn't mean much, especially when it's something that seems to be quite easy to avoid. For that to really mean a lot to me it would have to be both a lot harder to get away from and would have had to be something shown to seriously fuck Link up.

...also Ganon goes up against the Master Sword, which is a whole different deal in terms of strength level Razz.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:00 pm

Quaetam wrote:
Viero wrote:Ya, I see where you are coming from. But I guess the threat comes in the battle when he grabs Links sword and can possibly take it away and use it on you. Which is really the only person who could do so. Not even Ganondorf can do that. Just pointing it out, not sure if you considered that part or not. But I think that is worth noting.

I did consider it. Seeing Link basically beat up on the guy while he threatens to take the sword away doesn't mean much, especially when it's something that seems to be quite easy to avoid. For that to really mean a lot to me it would have to be both a lot harder to get away from and would have had to be something shown to seriously fuck Link up.

...also Ganon goes up against the Master Sword, which is a whole different deal in terms of strength level Razz.

Well, Ghirahim will eventually put up against the Master Sword too, Skyward Sword dealing with the whole forging on the sword and all.
And remember, the Skyward Sword IS the Master Sword, just in another form.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:05 pm

This is assuming that Ghirahim ends up being the Big Bad. And while it isn't the customary curbstomp battle big villains usually dish out early on, it does seem to fit Ghirahim's personality better. It really doesn't look like he's trying at all to actually fight you. So, from a story telling perspective, I'm good.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Yes, but even if it is the same just in another form, would it still be considered the sword of evils bane?

One thing I want to see at the end, is Skyward Sward link leaving the Master Sword in a place similar to the temple of time in OoT.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Bugman wrote:Well, Ghirahim will eventually put up against the Master Sword too, Skyward Sword dealing with the whole forging on the sword and all.
And remember, the Skyward Sword IS the Master Sword, just in another form.

Absolutely. My point was that seeing Ghirahim here take away Link's basic sword when Ganon can't take away Link's master sword isn't really a great comparison to make.

To Eiron's point, yeah, it definitely fits his personality better, but I still feel there's a need to make him seem more like the main villain. That is, if he IS the main villain of course. The hero can't go winning, (or 'winning' in this case, as Ghirahim definitely isn't trying) from the get-go or the villain is a lot harder to really appreciate.

Ninjaedit: I concur, Outlaw.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:26 pm

The Official PR says Skyward Sword lays the foundation of the events of Ocarina of Time. If any of this is true, I think we will have an amazing ending.

Explore a massive, multilayered world that seamlessly blends soaring exploration in a sea of clouds with intense ground-based adventuring that blurs the line between the main world and traditional Zelda dungeons. Linkā„¢ soars through the skies on the back of a noble bird and dives beneath the clouds to the continent below in an epic quest that lays the foundation for the events in the critically acclaimed The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I doubt Skyward Sword is a direct prequel, but it certainly sounds encouraging.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:52 pm

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:37 pm

(look at the pillars and walls surrounding the giant goddess statue.)

Ghirahim is attacking Skyloft dead-on at some point.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:22 am

Two days guys, just two days.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:00 pm

Dunno about you guys but I am sorta getting a midnight launch. Our Gamestop isn't having a midnight launch but sense we are buddies with the employees the manager said just come by at 11:45 PM Saturday and pick up your game. Hes going there to pick his game and our game up. So thats pretty cool.

Any of you guys have an official midnight launch?

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Not that I'm aware of. I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from my house. So I kind of doubt it.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:20 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top