Post  Omicron Austin on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Wii plays DVDs too.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nintendo WiiU

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:45 pm

I would actually like to pay for what I am going to use it for, which is games. I do not care for whatever else it comes with it as I have other better means of doing it. Such as using my laptop for DVDs. I do not want to be paying more for something that does not actually have anything to do with why we buy consoles in the first place. For playing games and anything game related such as game news and updates to games.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:56 pm

It's Nintendo. While they want to use the Wii U to recover some of the core audience they lost with the Wii, they still want the console to be accessible to everyone and they want to sell the console for a profit. If they have to cut every single feature they consider non-essential to a GAMING system, they will.

In other words, they cut through the fat.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:19 pm

I'm completely ok with a game system that does nothing but game. I don't buy a gaming console to watch movies on it, that's what that dvd player under the TV is for. Give me something with the ability to play awesome games, and I'll be just fine and happy.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:15 pm

Viero wrote:I would actually like to pay for what I am going to use it for, which is games.
I'd use it for a bluray player. Hell, my roommate's PS3 was mostly used for streaming netflix and watching movies. Games were still played on it.

But how much does a license for playing bluray, or even DVDs now, even cost anyway? Doubt it'd be that much per system and it's not like Nintendo is hurting in terms of money anyway.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:23 pm

smashbro wrote:
Viero wrote:I would actually like to pay for what I am going to use it for, which is games.
I'd use it for a bluray player. Hell, my roommate's PS3 was mostly used for streaming netflix and watching movies. Games were still played on it.

But how much does a license for playing bluray, or even DVDs now, even cost anyway? Doubt it'd be that much per system and it's not like Nintendo is hurting in terms of money anyway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association
Nintendo would have to become part of the Blu-Ray Association. The fee is 20,000$ a year for contributors.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 pm

smashbro wrote:

Everyone else is going pretty hard core on making their consoles more than just to play games. Microsoft is trying to make the Xbox all of entertainment in one package. I think Gabe Newell said they were embracing ideas on spreading steam out on more than just PC's (and of course PS3). Nintendo doesn't really care about making their system do all of these other things like access Sports shit. Sure it can access the web and I think they even had netflix but other than that they really haven't cared.

Now they might change, and add more things. Especially they MIGHT have an extremely better internet than they have had before, but nothing is really confirmed. But still a possibility I guess.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Bugman wrote:
smashbro wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association
Nintendo would have to become part of the Blu-Ray Association. The fee is 20,000$ a year for contributors.
Ok, so if they sell 20,000 consoles a month, then the extra cost is, what, 1/12th of a dollar a year per console? Hurm.

Edit:
Outlaw wrote:Now they might change, and add more things. Especially they MIGHT have an extremely better internet than they have had before, but nothing is really confirmed. But still a possibility I guess.
Nintendo needs to step up their game in terms of an online system. There's no excuse if it's just a minor step up from what the Wii has.

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:40 pm

The 3DS is already a step in the right direction. (Only a small one, however.)

This time, they need to get rid of FCs for good. And have a better infrastructure.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Bugman wrote:This time, they need to get rid of FCs for good.
I agree, and I do believe they are doing this. I don't remember if I read it in an article, or heard it from a recent NVC podcast, but I'm pretty sure they are doing away with friend codes on the Wu and allowing easier searches for friends or something.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Since EA hinted the possibility of Battlefield 3 for the Wu, I don't think they would put BF3 on there just for the cool controller. I think EA or DICE would at least require Nintendo to have a good online service before they put something like Battlefield 3 on the Wu.

I am basing the whole BF3 on Wu by what the EA pres. said, "imagine playing something like battlefield 3 on Wu". Not a confirmation, but still.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:57 pm

That one was such a freaking tease. And at some point in the background you could see an image of Mass Effect, Dead Space and others.

But EA seems to be a big partner for Nintendo this time. Let's see what happens.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 pm

Bugman wrote:That one was such a freaking tease. And at some point in the background you could see an image of Mass Effect, Dead Space and others.

But EA seems to be a big partner for Nintendo this time. Let's see what happens.

Im not saying that those games won't be on the WiiU, but I think they used that exact background banner for their own conference. It could have just been up there to acknowledge EA was up.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:21 am

I have question about the controller. Two sliders instead of analog sticks. I haven't tried out the slider on the 3DS, so I can't say, but how precise is it? Would it be better if Nintendo were to ditch the sliders on the Wu controller in favor of analog sticks?

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:07 pm

I've only played demos at Gamestop for the 3DS, but the sliders seem to work just fine.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

I don't like WiiU :\

Of course, I'll have to get my hands on one before I can really amke that call, but I see it going in the same direction as the Wii went in terms of software. Very few developers will use the new hardware for anything really exciting or new for the core demographic. I could easily see the majority of WiiU releases being shovelware, mini-game collections, tv spinoff games, trivia collections, and basically, what the majority of Wii software now is, since that stuff is safer to make than a game for the fickle core gaming demographic. Hopefully getting the 3rd party devs onboard this quickly will solve this problem, but I'm not gonna hold my breath until we get closer to release.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:03 am

SurgePox wrote:I don't like WiiU :\

Of course, I'll have to get my hands on one before I can really amke that call, but I see it going in the same direction as the Wii went in terms of software. Very few developers will use the new hardware for anything really exciting or new for the core demographic. I could easily see the majority of WiiU releases being shovelware, mini-game collections, tv spinoff games, trivia collections, and basically, what the majority of Wii software now is, since that stuff is safer to make than a game for the fickle core gaming demographic. Hopefully getting the 3rd party devs onboard this quickly will solve this problem, but I'm not gonna hold my breath until we get closer to release.

While you're right, the very few Nintendo first-party games of classic franchises were all fantastic on the Wii (Galaxy, Metroid Prime, DK Country, Zelda...I guess, Smash Brothers, etc.), and that almost made the Wii worth it by itself. If Nintendo continues the trend, WHILE having better third party support, I can't see them going anywhere but up.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:57 am

Omicron Austin wrote:

While you're right, the very few Nintendo first-party games of classic franchises were all fantastic on the Wii (Galaxy, Metroid Prime, DK Country, Zelda...I guess, Smash Brothers, etc.), and that almost made the Wii worth it by itself. If Nintendo continues the trend, WHILE having better third party support, I can't see them going anywhere but up.

I didn't buy my Wii with any third party games in mind. It was mostly so I could play Twilight Princess and Smash Bros. Considering that I don't play games nearly as much as I used to, first party only software would probably be ok for me. That said, I would really love for Nintendo to win some support from other developers, and the Big N's track record with that is less than stellar.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Keep the faith! Everything will turn out perfectly, I'm sure.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugman on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:54 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/22/valve-interested-in-wii-u-it-fits-better-into-our-scalability/

Valve MIGHT be in.

Yes please.

Bugman
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Well this is good, granted I will still play Valve games on the PC I am glad Nintendo might be getting that connection.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dismal on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:36 am

As sad as this is, I really just want to use the WiiU controller to play Magic: The Gathering and Munchkins. Is that so wrong?

Dismal
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Shit gets a bumpin. (Hey, look, it's Dismal)^ I'm surprised though that no one else went to bump this sooner.

Nintendo had a press conference a few days ago. The Wu has a release date and price. Not only that, but Nintendo will release different models. A basic white model, and a deluxe black model.

In the basic set:
Wii U console
One GamePad controller
8GB memory
HDMI cable
Wii Sensor bar (no sensor in EU)
A/C adapter
$299.99 (299€ / £250 / $349.95 AUD)

In the Deluxe set:
Everything in Basic Wii U bundle
32GB memory
Charging cradle and stands for console and controller
Nintendo Land game
Nintendo Network Premium Subscription
$349.99 (349€ / £300 / $429.95 AUD)

-Release dates: November 18th for North America, November 30th Europe & Australia, and December 12th for Japan.
-First party games will retail for $60 in North America.
-Also, you can expand storage with an external HD and SDHC memory cards.

Source (as in what I copied; there's info on the European and Japanese Premium sets.)
IGN wiki containing a lot of Wu info (For more info)

Hey, it doesn't seem ridiculously overpriced for Australia, but still expensive. :/

When I get one, I'm thinking I'll just go with the Basic set. I just got a 1TB external the other day for my comp, so I guess I might as well use it for the Wu too. I've thought about getting the Wu at launch like I did with Wii, but I'm going to wait for a bit methinks. There's not much at launch that I really want aside from Pikmin 3.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:20 am

You know... I knew about all this and I have no idea why I didn't post it.

Thanks Smash!

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:05 am

What's the difference between nintendo network standard and nintendo network premium?

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:40 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top